• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6 months living in spain. I'm in rented accommodation, am i legal

Redlen

Time of past OR future Camino
?
Heĺlo. Been here 6months in rented açcomadation got a contract for 9 months.
Ive retired early I'm 63 so not looking to work iam finance ok. I've applied for a NIE CARD am I legal staying here forever??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you a european citizen , and is your native country in the e.c.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I afraid its a bit unclear at moment, wait till result of current brexit discussion , but continue to register , apparently different countries have different issues, issuing residents status some are delaying status recognition.

Contact your spanish area M.E.P. also there is several British organisations set up dealing with your predicament and a current
court case going through the. Euopean court brought by British people living in E.U. make sure you keep records of when you arrived such as utility bills and deeds etc.
Good luck.

Heĺlo. Been here 6months in rented açcomadation got a contract for 9 months. Ive retired early I'm 63 so not looking to work iam finance ok. I've applied for a NIE CARD am I legal staying here forever??

I think the competent agency for answering your question is your local government office in Spain that deals with the rights and obligations of non-Spanish residents from other EU countries according to the way they are applied in Spain.

I think the competent agency for answering your question is your local government office in Spain that deals with the rights and obligations of non-Spanish residents from other EU countries according to the way they are applied in Spain.
My view on these things is to collect information and opinions from agencies and others (even online), figure out your situation and gather documents and such that have come up and then go to a lawyer. Then you can cut down on the billing time. Remember to weigh the opinions and advice of the lawyer way, way more than the internet (and even the agencies because they may not take the time to find exceptions to the rule for you.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would not rely on a British government department opinion or advice , it will become dated very quickly.
Stick to your local spanish goverment department they know european law as it strands.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Strangely perhaps, as a stranger in a strange land, I would rely on www.gov.uk guidance. I used to write lots of it and highly skilled people still do, revising it on a daily basis. The assumption that all government advice is bo***cks is based on the conception that all government is bo***cks. While I might well concede the latter the primary is erroneous. Governments don't write advice. They delegate that to people who know their bo***cks from their elbows.

I would say that at this time (because we are still in the EU) you are legal under the EU reciprocal agreement of free movement within the EU.
Not sure what will happen post brevet, but I think both sides are trying to protect EU citizen who are not living in their own country protection against repatriation. Who knows how this will pan out, but I think free moving EU citizens will be protected.
My advice would be to get in touch with the relevant UK Gov department for updated information.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would say that at this time (because we are still in the EU) you are legal under the EU reciprocal agreement of free movement within the EU.
Ha, I've been waiting for this moment ;). It isn't clear whether the OP is concerned about his current situation or about any future situation. We can't really advise. Free movement doesn't mean that you can just move from any EU country to another without any rules or restrictions. It was at the beginning of this very month of March 2018 that a well-known British ex politician said in an interview: I think that frankly what I didn’t really understand fully is how different countries in Europe deal with the existing freedom [of movement] rules in Europe. Some EU countries are a lot stricter (he named Belgium as an example) than others, under existing EU rules, concerning the issue of whether you can stay for longer than a few months and under what conditions. Most people won't notice it but some do. It depends on their individual situation.

This is not a political discussion. I notice it from time to time that people assume the rules are exactly the same everywhere in the EU. They aren't. When I read the statement quoted above, I immediately emailed it to friends and family saying: Ha, finally, didn't I say that the whole time all these years? :cool:

These differences are intentional btw, it's not that some are lax and others stricter. EU laws are often a framework that allows room for such differences.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ha, I've been waiting for this moment ;). It isn't clear whether the OP is concerned about his current situation or about any future situation. We can't really advise. Free movement doesn't mean that you can just move from any EU country to another without any rules or restrictions. It was at the beginning of this very month of March 2018 that a well-known British ex politician said in an interview: I think that frankly what I didn’t really understand fully is how different countries in Europe deal with the existing freedom [of movement] rules in Europe. Some EU countries are a lot stricter (he named Belgium as an example) than others, under existing EU rules, concerning the issue of whether you can stay for longer than a few months and under what conditions. Most people won't notice it but some do. It depends on their individual situation.

This is not a political discussion. I notice it from time to time that people assume the rules are exactly the same everywhere in the EU. They aren't. When I read the statement quoted above, I immediately emailed it to friends and family saying: Ha, finally, didn't I say that the whole time all these years? :cool:

These differences are intentional btw, it's not that some are lax and others stricter. EU laws are often a framework that allows room for such differences.
Thank you for the clarification, I guess I was really meaning Spain because that's where the OP is, should have made that clearer and not generalised over the whole EU.
I guess all EU countries are equal, it's just that some are more equal than others, from a UK perspective all EU countries citizens can come in.

Speaking from experience, an NIE can be issued in Spain to a EU citizen (which you still are) in 2 cases:
1) you have a contract of employment or
2) you can prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself (your case I guess)

When I applied in 2016 in Pamplona I received my NIE within an hour. Payment must be made through a Spanish bank account and if you don't have one, a nearby bank helps out with the transfer. At least that is how they do it in Navarra.

Best advice is to go to the appropriate Oficina de Extranjeros office (not the local police office) and ask them.

It's a catch 22 situation. To open a local bank account (not an account for foreigners) and to let an apartment you normally need an NIE.

Pm me if you need more details. And good luck!

Speaking from experience, an NIE can be issued in Spain to a EU citizen (which you still are) in 2 cases:
2) you can prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself (your case I guess)

When I applied in 2016 in Pamplona I received my NIE within an hour. Payment must be made through a Spanish bank account and if you don't have one, a nearby bank helps out with the transfer. At least that is how they do it in Navarra.

Best advice is to go to the appropriate Oficina de Extranjeros office (not the local police office) and ask them.

It's a catch 22 situation. To open a local bank account (not an account for foreigners) and to let an apartment you normally need an NIE.

Many thanks for your help. I did loads of research before I came to Spain but some parts i forgot after 6.months of relaxation .

P

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Heĺlo. Been here 6months in rented açcomadation got a contract for 9 months.
Ive retired early I'm 63 so not looking to work iam finance ok. I've applied for a NIE CARD am I legal staying here forever??
I think 4 months is the limit.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The best answer you are going to get is from your nearest National Police Office (CNP), particularly the Extranjeria office which you are no doubt already familiar with. If you have met the requirements set forth in the application for your NIE (finance, insurance, etc) there is nothing which makes you "illegal" in Spain.

Additionally, it is possible to obtain something known as a provisional NIE, which is nothing more than a piece of paper with a NIE number which can be used for banking and other official business. Depending on the flexibility of your local Extranjeria office, you can get one by demonstrating that you need one to execute the above mentioned official business. Which is to say that there isn't really a catch-22. That provisional NIE number is unique to you and is the one that will appear on your card once you get one.

But from the sounds of it there is no need to panic. Just enjoy the holidays and get to the office next week.

Some well meaning, but incorrect answers because the questions are very unclear.
The UK is still part of the EU and will be for the next year. What happens then is not clear. The EU has been very quite on this aspect. One thing is quite clear as it is law now the longer you are registered in your adopted country the more rights you have to live there permanently. So you have already lost some time
If you have been renting then you should already have a fiscal number NIE (which is given for life) as without that you cannot pay rent (legally) have a Spanish bank account, Use the health service, Pay your taxes or pay utility bills.
The link given in post 11 by Tincatinker is the best resource you should read. You had better get a move on. If your Spanish is not up to all of this paperwork then find a Gestoría to do the running around for you. That will cost money.
Watch and learn.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Legally you should be registered as a resident, but in effect they aren't going to throw you in jail for overstaying. Quite honestly I wouldn't worry unless you intend to live here forever. We live in Spain and have most if not all the correct paperwork. However there is a rule of thumb if I was doing it again I would live by. If you don't need to fill it in don't do it. It gets too complicated. and too expensive and they don't really care anyway. If you're moving on from time to time, you're a tourist. Its really a case of once you put your toe in the murky paperwork water you're all in! If you still think of the UK as your home just flit backwards and forwards from time to time. If you intend to stay, buy a house, or a car etc. go to the policia nacional in your nearest big town and they will issue you with an NIE number. Then go to the immigration offices (they'll tell you where it is) and ask for a residencia. Then go to your local Ayuntamiento and ask for a Padron. But if you don't have a job or your own house or money to live on don't do any of that. Have you got your health card? If so just enjoy life. Things will get tricky after Brexit of course. None of us know what will happen, even those of us with homes here for a decade and who've been paying into the system. Its a gamble whichever way you do it. One thing. Even if you do pay into the system, don't expect benefits if you're ill. You probably will get zip...I had cancer. That's no fun with no benefits believe me!On the other hand I got better treatment (I think) than I would have got in the UK!

Many thanks for all your replies all were helpfull. I did my INE alongside my Spanish teacher . Bit of computer work and keeping receipts and having passport etc . Final cost in totall was €30 which included bus fares.
I was lucky didn't use a translater I just took my time it's cheaper for sure. Regards len

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back