Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6 more days and I am off

Michael Caleigh

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo September 2016
Hi all

I am so excited. After 9 months planning and reading this forum and lots of local walks and marathons for a charity here in the UK I am finally close to leave for Oviedo.

I started dreaming about it every night and I can´t wait any more.

Even started a little blog about my camino.
I will do the 13 stages but I might change and not stay in San Juan de Villapañada and stay in Grado so that the first 2 days are both 25km.
Day 1: Oviedo – San Juan de Villapañada 30.5 Km

Day 2: San Juan de Villapañada – Salas 20.2 Km

Day 3: Salas – Tineo 20,2 Km

Day 4: Tineo – Pola de Allande 28.2 Km

Day 5: Pola de Allande – La Mesa 22.8 Km

Day 6: La Mesa – Grandas de Salime 16.8 Km

Day 7: Grandas de Salime – Fonsagrada 28.1 Km

Day 8: A Fonsagrada (Padrón) – O Cádavo Baleira 23.4 Km

Day 9: Cádavo Baleira – Lugo 30.5 Km

Day 10: Lugo – San Romao da Retorta 19.7 Km

Day 11: San Romao da Retorta – Melide 27,7 Km

Day 12: Melide – O Pedrouzo 33,3 Km

Day 13: O Pedrouzo – Santiago de Compostela 20 Km

Wish me luck.

Buen camino a todos.

Michael

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buena Suerte! Excited peregrino!

What a joyous thread to read just before I stop for the night here in Australia.

Buen Camino!

Go Well

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good luck Michael, I will probably be just a couple of days behind you.

Hi all

I am so excited. After 9 months planning and reading this forum and lots of local walks and marathons for a charity here in the UK I am finally close to leave for Oviedo.

I will do the 13 stages but I might change and not stay in San Juan de Villapañada and stay in Grado so that the first 2 days are both 25km.

Wish me luck.

Buen camino a todos.

Michael

Hi

How exciting! I have returned from my CF 11 days ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the terrible heat.... You will have fun, so do take it easy and enjoy.... When I was 2 days before Santiago, I felt quite sad, thinking of leaving my new found friends..... with their special personalities and stories. It had been so much fun!

So buen camino!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino! It is a special and beautiful camino.

Hi, Michael,
Lucky you, it's a wonderful walk.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Day 5. When you get to Berducedo, you will find there are several options, both private rooms, private Albergues, and municipal Albergue. Since your next day into Grandas is a short one, you might want to stop in Berducedo when you get there! (about 6??? before La Mesa -- and La Mesa is a tiny hamlet with not many services).

Day 8. A bunch of us knew we wanted to spend more time in Lugo the next day but couldn't take a rest day there, so when we got to Cadavo, we had a light lunch and a rest and then took on the next 8 km or so to Castroverde. It's got a lot of km through a shaded forest path and then a few km on untraveled roads. There is both an Albergue and pension there. That makes the next day into Lugo shorter, giving us more time there. Lugo has a lot to see, and sitting in the plaza is VERY enjoyable, great ambiente!

Day 10. I highly recommend the two private albergues in Ponte Ferreira, which is about 7 km further on from San Roman. One is new and minimalist, one is old and traditional, both serve meals and are spotless. That also means you can, if you want, continue on to Boente the next day. This may be appealing because the onslaught of pilgrims in Melide is likely to be a shock, and Boente is much smaller and has a nice private Albergue. Then the following day to ARca and then on to Santiago.

I would be very interested to hear about the numbers you encounter, I think the Primitivo has enjoyed a huge surge in popularity but by this time of the year, I bet it will be pretty calm. Buen camino! Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Michael,
Lucky you, it's a wonderful walk.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Day 5. When you get to Berducedo, you will find there are several options, both private rooms, private Albergues, and municipal Albergue. Since your next day into Grandas is a short one, you might want to stop in Berducedo when you get there! (about 6??? before La Mesa -- and La Mesa is a tiny hamlet with not many services).

Day 8. A bunch of us knew we wanted to spend more time in Lugo the next day but couldn't take a rest day there, so when we got to Cadavo, we had a light lunch and a rest and then took on the next 8 km or so to Castroverde. It's got a lot of km through a shaded forest path and then a few km on untraveled roads. There is both an Albergue and pension there. That makes the next day into Lugo shorter, giving us more time there. Lugo has a lot to see, and sitting in the plaza is VERY enjoyable, great ambiente!

Day 10. I highly recommend the two private albergues in Ponte Ferreira, which is about 7 km further on from San Roman. One is new and minimalist, one is old and traditional, both serve meals and are spotless. That also means you can, if you want, continue on to Boente the next day. This may be appealing because the onslaught of pilgrims in Melide is likely to be a shock, and Boente is much smaller and has a nice private Albergue. Then the following day to ARca and then on to Santiago.

I would be very interested to hear about the numbers you encounter, I think the Primitivo has enjoyed a huge surge in popularity but by this time of the year, I bet it will be pretty calm. Buen camino! Laurie
Wow thank you so much. I will definetely do this as I wondered myself that some stages were really short especially the 19km one. I am looking forward to this and will report once I am back.

Thanks.
Michael

Hi all

Wish me luck.

Buen camino a todos.

Michael
I would walk on to Castro and make the next day easier.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Was just about to add my “Buen Camino” when I noticed the original post is from 2016 :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back