• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6 Older Women

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello
I am organizing a fall 2 week Camino for a group of 6 women in their late 60s and early 70s some with little experience and some with knee issues. First time ( and likely only time ) for 5 out of 6. Planning from Ocebriero to Santiago averaging about 15 km per day, and staying in small hotels or auberges with private rooms. Any places or experiences that should definitely be included? Any other advice appreciated. Thanks.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yes, take the alternate route through Samos and stay at Casa Licerio. I didn't have the chance to stay there, but some friends did, and I met them there for breakfast. It's a very nice little pensión, and in addition to a tapas hour in the evening, they even do your laundry for you. https://casalicerio.wixsite.com/casalicerio
And even if you can't stay in Casa Licerio, Samos is a great diversion on the Camino.

I definitely second the detour to Samos. We stayed in a smallish hotel there close to the monastery.
For the knee issues etc you can get your luggage transported from place to place.
Carrying less weight will relieve pressure on joints.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
After going through Samos, you will be walking along the left side of a roadway. A bit down the road, you will have the opportunity to choose to stay on the roadway or cross the roadway to your right and take a route through the hill country. I'd highly recommend the right hand fork (not the roadside trail). It's about 1 1/2 miles longer, but it's beautiful.

I also second the recommendation to consider pack transport if anyone starts to feel twinges of pain. The Camino is not like regular hiking where you do a long hike and then have time for your body to recover. The lack of recovery time is what can cause injury. Thus, being gentle with yourself and paying attention to your body's signals is critical.

Have a great trip!

Hello
I am organizing a fall 2 week Camino for a group of 6 women in their late 60s and early 70s some with little experience and some with knee issues. First time ( and likely only time ) for 5 out of 6. Planning from Ocebriero to Santiago averaging about 15 km per day, and staying in small hotels or auberges with private rooms. Any places or experiences that should definitely be included? Any other advice appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, take the alternate route through Samos and stay at Casa Licerio. I didn't have the chance to stay there, but some friends did, and I met them there for breakfast. It's a very nice little pensión, and in addition to a tapas hour in the evening, they even do your laundry for you. https://casalicerio.wixsite.com/casalicerio
And even if you can't stay in Casa Licerio, Samos is a great diversion on the Camino.
I wore elastic knee guards which were really effective. I wore them every day from the start because I didn't want to go hunting for them when and if my knees began to hurt. Prevention rather than cure.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was in training as a daily distance walker when I walked the Camino wearing a supportive knee brace for my torn meniscus and calf sleeves everyday. I also used hiking sticks and had my pack transported. I was determined not to risk any further injury that would prevent my continuing. It worked I was 72. I plan to go again and take precautions.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I just have to say like a few others; go via Samos

One small bit of advice from another elderly pilgrim. Even healthy pilgrams walk at different paces, stop frequently or not, find frequent places for a photo-op(!) or not, coffee time, ah...well...that is.., seek out large bushes or shrubs for...ah...relief, lunchtime at 1100-1200-1300?, the options are endless - the frustrations of walking with someone faster than you or slower can destroy an otherwise wonderful day. Plan and maybe find a helpful soul in your group to soldier on as a rearguard to help and guide those who cannot or will not keep the pace. I am a certified slowcoach with no reservations seeing this as the best way to do the Camino and to enjoy everything along the way!
PS You do realize that O'Cebriero is not exactly a bustling international center for transportation and communication. There must be a bus but more than likely it will stop on the main road below forcing your group to start off with a climb up in the wrong direction. Rule #2 of this pilgrim, never turn your back on Santiago.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Samos? I love the place, do take the tour if you can work it in. I have stopped ther 4-5 times always in the spring, the hostel in the monastery is "classic" pilgrimage, almost romantic, you are awakened with music, and each time it was freezing cold!!! There are more modern options, decidedly warmer, with a lovely view of the church and monastery, and as you enter you are not greeted by a petrol station.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back