• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How do people 60-and-over plan their Camino?

I cannot hike without my trekking poles. Don't let anyone talk you out of them!

The one time my hiking partner got blisters, the benzoine was the most effective. The Compeed is wet wound technology, so absorbs moisture as it comes out of the blister. It securely covers the blister, so if you lance it, drain it, clean with alcohol, then put on a Compeed, you will have a sanitary cover until the Compeed comes off naturally, usually in 3 to 7 days

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm not letting anyone talk me out of mine! I'm 50 in August, and have planned this trip around this milestone for years.
Thank you for the most succinct info on treating blisters yet! My chemist was horrified when I mentioned the needle and thread and slow leaking and.....blurk.

Bien Camino
Gina

have had two hip replacements (either side)....

I will try to keep my backup weight under 12 - 15 kilos (no more than 35 lbs). Sadly I also suffer from a bad back which will necessitate my carrying a back brace.

After reading several books on the Camino, I know I will develop blisters. I intend to take vaseline, moleskin and a first aid kit.

Sullykerry, I too had a hip replaced at the end of June last year, and at this point it´s as there never was any pain at all. Next month the Camino del Norte awaits me!
Looking at the weight you intend to carry it seems that you might be taking too much. Aiming for 12 - 14 lbs not kilos, should be a consideration for you, especially with a bad back. Is your gear super heavy? Would you be able to invest in something lighter?Starting with your pack, how much does it weigh? ULA has lightweight packs and they are amazing. Mine is 29 oz. Having had a pack that actually weighed 7 1/2 lbs before, this made a huge difference. The next item that I would take a look at would be the sleeping bag, because that would be the next heavy piece of gear. Consider investing in a bag that is very light and will keep you warm. Generally bags rated to 30 degrees are best for summer use. Western Mountaineering have been making Ultralite / Summerlite bags for years using this recipe: 850 FP down, Pertex Quantum shell (they call it ExtremeLight), and a circumference at the shoulder of 59 inches. They are worth every penny!

This being said, with a light weight pack you won´t need heavy duty boots, you can get a pair of hiking shoes that are light, and even if books tell you that it is inevitable to get blisters, I beg to differ. Before when I carried a 35-38 lb pack, and wore boots, yes blisters were expected; once my pack changed, my shoes changed, never again have my feet had blisters. We backpack in the Wyoming and Colorado mountains, we´ve gone to the West Coast Trail on the Pacific Rim National Forest in Vancouver Island; the reason I mention this is to let you know that you can hike much better and with happy feet, that´s all :) Sorry for the extra long message.

Ultreia!

Mary

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have used trekking poles in the past to help with balance and footing. However I have used them only while hiking with a light day pack for a few hours at a time. As a slightly overweight 210 lbs male at 5'11" would using them for a 45 day hike be advisable? Thank you again.

Trekking poles are the best! Don´t leave home without them, they´ll help cushion the impact on your knees, help your balance, whether going up or down or crossing a stream, you´ll be happy to have them with you. Really! Oh, and of course, with your 2 new hips the last thing you want is to be uncomfortable, the poles give you something to lean on and leverage when negotiating a rocky steep uphill, saving your knees going downhill, and saving you from falls! Take care of yourself and you´ll have a more comfortable Camino. I don´t believe in the saying: ¨No pain, no gain¨, on the contrary: do what is possible to avoid pain and gain enjoyment :)

Ultreia,

Mary

I feel your pain. I'm in my 60s, had arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus in my right knee and then did some cartilage damage following the surgery. Have done rehab but not sure how well the knee will hold up on a long distance hike.

Here's my advice. Boots and socks make a big difference in whether or not you get blisters. You're hearing the horror stories about blisters, people losing toenails, etc. Get a good, sturdy but lightweight pair of boots. Don't listen to advice on what is the best brand of boot. The best brand (among all of the quality labels) is the boot that fits YOUR feet. For socks, I like to wear a sock liner, which I think helps wick moisture from your feet and I like Thorlo hiking socks. They have plenty of padding where you need it. Foot powder is also a good idea, plus getting out of your boots and into a pair of crocs or sandals in the evening. If you are close to my age you may remember the classic "Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher. Boots are the "foundation" of the "house on your back."

I debate whether I will be able to walk the Camino. If I decide to do the walk, my philosophy is going to be "slow and steady...one step at a time."

Good luck!

Sorry if this is a repeat for some, but it really concerns me when I hear about people carrying heavy packs. The link to my packing list for our upcoming Camino hike, which will be east of LePuy, is below. My pack will be about 15 pounds, which is 1 or 2 less than usual. I do hike with my husband, so we "share" the weight of maps and camera charger, but little else. Note however, that I am carrying a 2- pound camera, which is certainly an optional item.

http://backpack45.blogspot.com/2013/04/packing-for-pilgrimage-trails-of-europe.html

I am 72 and have been on Camino trails multiple times.
Susan "backpack45" Alcorn

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am hoping to walk the Camino Frances next year. I have a chronic pain/mobility disability, which with my age makes me think I should walk in easy stages.I will have the time,so if I only make 6-10km a day, that's fine. My question though- I've read about auberges at the stopping stages, but if I have to stop at say 8 km, will there be somewhere to stay or should I bring a tent?

One reason we are so insistent on reducing your pack weight is precisely because of the impact on the feet. Pare it down ... truly. A half pound is significant. You'll be able to feel a quarter pound difference.

Here's what I've found works well for my feet:
- Boots a tad oversized (sized to accommodate thick socks and liners)
- Insoles (SuperFeet Green or an orthotic)
- Closely trimmed nails, and trimmed calluses also
- Foot powder (ie, dry lubricant) generously over the foot, and into the liner sock as well
- Liner sock (turned inside out so the seam is not against the skin)
- Heavy wool socks (I use Bridgedale trekkers) rolled on so that they do not put the toes under tension

Some folks like Vaseline (petroleum jelly) as a wet lubricant rather than dry lubricant. You'll have to see what works best for you.

We walked in Jan/Feb and almost all of the albergues were closed so we had to stay in cheap pensions, about 35 euros a day or so. Never booked ahead, just stopped in a village when we were ready and asked someone about accommodation. Never went without a bed.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
SisterSimon - I would think you would be able to find albergues or other accommodation, it is a fairly busy route, but there may be some sections where it is too far between. Perhaps then use a bus/taxi if you need to. I have fibromyalgia and was quite worried about making it along the camino portuguese, my husband and i cycled because i cannot carry a pack. I managed it ok, but rested when i needed to and had days off too. Later, on the northern route I used trains to 'jump' bits that were too mountainous for me. It can be daunting but i think if we have a disability it is better to pick and choose what we can do - than stay at home and not even try! Good luck!

Hecate105,thank you. I had forgotten about using transportation for the harder or longer parts of the Camino.I agree,its foolish to let disability dictate the life we are going to live- there 's just too much wonder out there! But, that being said, respecting our limits is vital. Making myself do more than I am able to do is just going to end up in pain and disappointment. Better to be versatile and safe! With the way my finances stand, this may be the last major trip I can ever take, so I really want to get the most out of it possible.Thanks for your advice!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sullykerry said:
Many thanks to all the comments posted.

I will try to keep my backup weight under 12 - 15 kilos (no more than 35 lbs). Sadly I also suffer from a bad back which will necessitate my carrying a back brace.

John in NJ.

12 to 15 kilos is a big load. Too big imo especially if you have a bad back. My husband and I always get our packs under 7 kilos. John, I think you should review what you are carrying. 45 days is a good allowance of time - that will give you the freedom to walk short kilometres and take rest days.

I am 67 and completed my first Camino last year and will be starting my second Camino this year in July from Porto in Portugal. Compeeds are an essential part of your pack, I even use them as a prophylactic if I feel a burning sensation on my heal in the morning. Use Vaseline, thin cotton liner socks and your normal hiking socks everyday and change the socks several times a day, dry feet mean no blisters. By the way Compeeds are not available in the US and the JNJ product there doesn't even come close. I suffered from some bad blisters the first walk and watched as people actually used sewing needles to sew up the openings in their blisters versus pulling off the loose skin.

baseballmh said:
Even though I have experienced a heart attack and 5 back surgeries, my largest concern is my sleep apnea and the breathing machine that I use (about 15" X 12" X 6"--11lbs and very fragile). The apnea is what caused my heart attack 9 year ago. I am wondering if there is a service that could carry this machine between albergues. I do not think I can carry the machine and my pack. Thank you for your thoughts ahead of time!
I have been on the Camino three times and have always carried my cpap machine. The first time I even brought along 30 feet of extension cord! I carry my machine in my backpack and inside a plastic bag. There are now so many pilgrims out there now using these machines alberges have become very accomadating. What I did and something you might find useful is carry a blurb about your needs in spanish and french that you can show to the alberges when you register for the night. I found this advice on the CSJ website.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
backpack45 said:
Sorry if this is a repeat for some, but it really concerns me when I hear about people carrying heavy packs. The link to my packing list for our upcoming Camino hike, which will be east of LePuy, is below. My pack will be about 15 pounds, which is 1 or 2 less than usual. I do hike with my husband, so we "share" the weight of maps and camera charger, but little else. Note however, that I am carrying a 2- pound camera, which is certainly an optional item.

http://backpack45.blogspot.com/2013/04/packing-for-pilgrimage-trails-of-europe.html

I am 72 and have been on Camino trails multiple times.
I have sleep apnea and so carry a cpap machine which weights about five pounds. Still the full weight of my pack excluding water is about fifteen pounds. I think the secret is to buy a small back pack ( mine is thirty-five litres) it keeps you from taking too much.

I was the one who first posed this question and can now say with great joy & relief that I went and completed the Camino del Norte last September. My brother & I found that being 60-63 was very common. Many trekkers were there to celebrate Birthdays (50, 60 & 70) . Some were celebrating retirement or other milestones in their lives. I don't think being an athlete is the main key, but keeping active and walking is very important. One of the most important factors for me was the mental determination to meet the challenge. Mind over matter if you will. Expect some hardship and move through it. Look for the beautiful scenery as you go. Enjoy the delicious Spanish foods. Greet new people from all over the world & share in the common experience of the hike. It is an experience that will never be replicated.Don't be afraid. Grab your pack & boots and go!!!!

It occurs to me that perhaps I should start a new thread. I used the "Find on this Page" function and either it's not working correctly or the 80 which I placed in it shows up in someone's ZIP code! I think I found 80s once. Is that correct

At 82 plus a few months my daughter and I will start from SJPdP on 12 September.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hecate105,thank you. I had forgotten about using transportation for the harder or longer parts of the Camino.I agree,its foolish to let disability dictate the life we are going to live- there 's just too much wonder out there! But, that being said, respecting our limits is vital. Making myself do more than I am able to do is just going to end up in pain and disappointment. Better to be versatile and safe! With the way my finances stand, this may be the last major trip I can ever take, so I really want to get the most out of it possible.Thanks for your advice!
Hi Sister Simon!

I like what you wrote...."be versatile and safe" Perfect!:cool:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I feel your pain. I'm in my 60s, had arthroscopic surgery for a torn meniscus in my right knee and then did some cartilage damage following the surgery. Have done rehab but not sure how well the knee will hold up on a long distance hike.

Here's my advice. Boots and socks make a big difference in whether or not you get blisters. You're hearing the horror stories about blisters, people losing toenails, etc. Get a good, sturdy but lightweight pair of boots. Don't listen to advice on what is the best brand of boot. The best brand (among all of the quality labels) is the boot that fits YOUR feet. For socks, I like to wear a sock liner, which I think helps wick moisture from your feet and I like Thorlo hiking socks. They have plenty of padding where you need it. Foot powder is also a good idea, plus getting out of your boots and into a pair of crocs or sandals in the evening. If you are close to my age you may remember the classic "Complete Walker" by Colin Fletcher. Boots are the "foundation" of the "house on your back."

I debate whether I will be able to walk the Camino. If I decide to do the walk, my philosophy is going to be "slow and steady...one step at a time.
Good luck!

"Great Post!:D

Next week at 59 and creeping quickly towards 60 myself and my two college friends start our first Camino. Having read the trail think most points covered but will report back when the "Lost Boys" return on anything to add.

I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitous about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Given the latest statistics, the over 60 group is growing, so you are in good company.

I have and continue to see more "senior pilgrims" each year, many walking longer distances than I ever considered.

The first time I walked the camino a gentlemen staying at the pension with us in Saint Jean walked all the way to Santiago. He was 84. The second time I walked the camino I passed a woman who was 67, who told me her brother was just behind her - he was 74. I met a guy who had walked all the way from Italy and he was well into his 60's. I passed another couple who were walking the camino for the fifth time- both almost 70.

I can only hope that I am able to continue to walk these trails well into my "senior years" what ever that means today.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Given the latest statistics, the over 60 group is growing, so you are in good company.

I have and continue to see more "senior pilgrims" each year, many walking longer distances than I ever considered.

The first time I walked the camino a gentlemen staying at the pension with us in Saint Jean walked all the way to Santiago. He was 84. The second time I walked the camino I passed a woman who was 67, who told me her brother was just behind her - he was 74. I met a guy who had walked all the way from Italy and he was well into his 60's. I passed another couple who were walking the camino for the fifth time- both almost 70.

I can only hope that I am able to continue to walk these trails well into my "senior years" what ever that means today.
I will only speak for myself, starting my next camino in 12 days in logrono, 21 days to Santiago , in my 65 year but I think I am young , but each to his own, I walk 25 km a day and throw in a few 30/35km for a bit of fun, only started walking camino/s at 60, this will be my 7 camino, first step the hardest, go for it Buen camino

First walked Camino Frances in May- June 2009 from St-Jean. 68 years 9 months old then. 39 days start to finish with 1 day off in Leon. By mid 2011 the Camino pulled me back once more so in late April this year of 2013 I set out once more from St Jean and walked to Santiago in 37 days taking a rest day this time in Burgos. Now 4 years older than my first Camino I had expected to be slower and left extra time in my schedule to take account of this.But once into that time of feeling trail fit and capable, the kilometres flew by. So train as well as you can (nothing is ever quite like the real thing, day after day after day) and go slowly in the first 7 to 10 days. I went too far too fast when I got walking with a person 30+ years younger into Palas de Rei The resulting shin splint slowed me down all the remaining distance into Santiago. The Camino can teach you a lesson right the finish. So do not let age stop you . If you are well enough to walk, go. Cheesepeter, Sydney Australia. (now just reached 73).

By the time we are on the Camino again we will be 65 and 70. We walk slower than many, and will carry as light a load as possible, so no sleeping bags next year. We will use habitaciones rather than albergues. The training has begun ( did it ever finish??) as we walk regularly carrying day packs.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If anybody is still concerned about how "senior" they are, consider this gentleman who by 2008 was 72 years young, had walked the camino 18 times including walking from Rome to Santiago:

"His name is Francisco Javier San Vicente García, a very special Pilgrim by his age and the number of kilometres travelled by different routes of pilgrimage. He is 72 years old and has just completed his 18th trip to the city of the apostle. From Paris, Rome, Le Puy, Barcelona, Valencia, Seville and Lisbon, to highlight the most distant points of departure. "The truth is that I have already travelled all roads. This year I went from Madrid, they have been 850 kilometers of route. Again it was a phenomenal experience, in which every year you always do new friendships", says Javi, as fellow travelers know him.

Remembering in particular his visit to Rome and the subsequent pilgrimage from the Italian capital to Compostela: "I get a friend in the Basque country who is priest drive. It was a long and hard road to Compostela, 2,750 kilometers, but it was worth it."

You can read more here (in Spanish):

http://www.blogseitb.com/rogeblasco/2008/10/04/francisco-javier-san-vicente-doces-veces/

Curious to know if he has done anymore caminos since this article.

I 'retired' from parish work in November 2008, after more than 20 years meeting and working with a great variety of people! I spent the winter and spring months 'training' and walked from Exeter to Plymouth, caught the ferry to Santander, then walked the Norte and Camino Primitivo through to Santiago. Some 411 miles at the age of 65 without ever having done a 'long walk' before. Anything is possible with a little thought and training. It was absolute bliss to be answerable to, and for, no-one except myself. The record of my walk is here;- http://walktocompostela.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-max=2009-07-18T08:49:00-07:00
Valerie and I have been back to the Northern Caminos every year since then!
60+ seems a good time to start your new walking life - go for it:D
Blessings
Tio Tel

Take the trekking poles they will make a big difference. They give you a little push with each step, are helpful for steep and rocky and stoney descent and are good for stability. All the best and work on the assumption that after so many days of walking that you will have lost weight. I had never used hiking poles in the past and was not going to buy or take them. I am so glad that I did. (Four legs are better than two.)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I thoroughly endorse the above comment. Trekking poles were essential to my camino. I had not done any walking prior to my camino training and and my biggest problem was the discomfort from my hands puffing up and the skin feeling very tight. Once I started using poles, not only did they aid my walking, but with my hands elevated I never again had a problem with the puffiness and discomfort.

.......Camino Frances with my daughter - http://magwood.wordpress.com

As part of that over-60 crowd for 7 caminos, I think you can do it. Press yourself just enough for the first part to be "conditioning." Avoid overdoing it. You aren't 20, and your recovery time will be longer than in your youth. Take care of your feet. Take breaks. Stop when you are tired. Do not follow the standard camino stages; if you are good for only 6 km, then walk only 6 km. Do not try to keep up with the interesting people you meet. It will only pull you off of your own pace. Expect to hurt. Expect most of the hurt to go away each night. Accept discomfort. Avoid misery. Everything about a camino is optional, so do not burden yourself with a lot of artificial rules or expectations, particularly the rules and expectations of others. There is no right way. There is no official route, just the path the local juntas set. Most of the traditional route of yore is under pavement. There is no such thing as cheating (except if you accept a Compostela when you did not meet the criteria).

One step at a time. Have no goal except that next step. Have fun! Buen camino.

Falcon,
Loved, loved, loved your post! I have been experiencing a little uneasiness thinking about my upcoming Camino in May/June 2014..that being, will I and can I be true to myself and experience the Camino as I want ?! Stop when I want, stay where I want and not feel like I have to pace myself with others or have decisions made for me. I will re read your post many times!:D

Thank you!
Rosemary

I thoroughly endorse the above comment. Trekking poles were essential to my camino. I had not done any walking prior to my camino training and and my biggest problem was the discomfort from my hands puffing up and the skin feeling very tight. Once I started using poles, not only did they aid my walking, but with my hands elevated I never again had a problem with the puffiness and discomfort.

.......Camino Frances with my daughter - http://magwood.wordpress.com
Hi Magwood!

Yes, trekking poles are a must and become second nature. I have a question for you from your blog (loved it and read it all in one sitting!) You said when you do a second Camino you would bring a few more relaxing clothes. I know this is not a fashion show, but I also don't want to look so bedraggled when I go to dinner, etc.... What would you bring differently or what would recommend. Thank you so much!
Rosemary

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To all the over 60 and under 70 group,

Go for it, you are all springs chickens. I have walked 2 long distance caminos in the past 2 years and i am 70. This past week i have an over 70 couple walked into my albergue in santiago, and they are not even exhausted and look very healthy from their long distance camino. And i also has a spaniard in his 80s staying in my albergue. All the so called seniors who stayed in my albergue all look radiant and in good health. No problems with blisters or anything. However many of the young peregrinos came in limping and with blisters, and also very exhausted even though they walked very short distances.

Just make sure you have a good pair of hiking/walking boots and a good rucksack, and keep it light.

Good luck. Buen camino to all and god bless. You will never regret doing the camino de santiago, you will be coming back for more caminos.

Last edited:
I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitous about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.

We walked it when we were both 60. 5 weeks before we left, my husband fell and tore his shoulder muscle - he had to have a major surgical reconstruction. We wondered whether to stay home, but his doctor said, have a go, it's your shoulder not your feet. So off we set, with his arm still in a sling, and walked the whole way with me doing up his bootlaces and cutting up his meat. It was fabulous just the same. Our next camino, In Italy, I was only a few months on from having a vertebra replaced in my spine - and we still did it. Walking is fabulous, you do it at your own pace, stop when you need, stay a few days if you want to somewhere, and you end up incredibly fit (and a bit smug). Go for it - just remember, there are no rules (except for the last 100km) so do it your way.
Maggie Ramsay
The Italian Camino (Amazon)

My friend Cimarron, the 91 year old pilgrim, is on the Frances now near Pamplona. He started at SJPDP on Wednesday September 4. He walked all of the 2175 mile Appalachian Trail in his 83-84th the year. Is there anyone older now or ever on the Frances? We have a Facebook page for the Pilgrimage and his AT hike is on Trail Journals : http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=14726 Updates are impossible to get so if anyone has Cimarron pilgrimage information, please post here. Bearbag

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Magwood!

Yes, trekking poles are a must and become second nature. I have a question for you from your blog (loved it and read it all in one sitting!) You said when you do a second Camino you would bring a few more relaxing clothes. I know this is not a fashion show, but I also don't want to look so bedraggled when I go to dinner, etc.... What would you bring differently or what would recommend. Thank you so much!
Rosemary

Hi Rosemary. I don't think I would take additional relaxing clothes, probably less - just more appropriate. The weather is the big issue. We walked in April/May 2013 and it was much colder at the end of our journey than it had been in the beginning. I had no previous experience of trekking and bought all my clothes in a rushed shopping trip where cost was of the essence. Both my pairs of zip off trousers looked hideous, although one pair was very practical with well placed pockets - and I wore these virtually all the time. The others were pretty useless - I found it really difficult to access the pockets and only wore these when my others hadn't dried.

I also wore a pair of lightweight 3/4 length cargo pants a lot in the evenings, but if I'd had better fitting hiking pants then these would not have been necessary.

When I walk my next camino, I will go with the knowledge that comfort is key, and if it is possible to incorporate a bit of style, then that will be a bonus. I will invest in new pants that fit well and look sufficiently ok to be happy to wear them as shorts or trousers after arriving at my destination. I would not bother with a skirt or dress, just maybe a pretty T-shirt and vest top to relax in.

My merino wool t-shirts were great, didn't get smelly and could go a couple of days without washing. I had one long sleeve and two short sleeve shirts. I didn't wear the long sleeve often for walking, probably only twice, but wore it a lot in the evenings, and to sleep in when it was particularly cold, along with some long johns, that I wore to walk only once or twice under my trousers when it was freezing.

I had not previously experienced crocs. It was only after researching the forums that I decided to give them a go. But still could not bring myself to buy the horribly ugly standard style. I bought a 'pretty' pair (that are so comfortable and versatile that I have worn them every day since my camino - and I speak as someone who owns an embarrassing number of pairs of shoes). However these more delicate crocs did not look quite so pretty when I had to wear them with hiking socks because it was so very cold in the evenings. There was no way I could face putting my boots back on after a shower, so it had to be the crocs, however stupid they looked. So next camino, I will be taking the 'ugly' crocs.

Another very useful and practical item was a 'buff infinity' - a long tubular scarf (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=b...WEqXX7Ab-pYGgCQ&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672) that I wore day and night, and comes in a range of colours to suit your style

I posted an assessment of my clothes and gear here: http://wp.me/s3azEo-1273

You will be the only person who notices or cares what you look like - just go for comfort and practicality and as little as possible.

Buen Camino, Maggie

.........Camino Frances with my daughter - http://magwood.wordpress.com

Hi Rosemary. I don't think I would take additional relaxing clothes, probably less - just more appropriate. The weather is the big issue. We walked in April/May 2013 and it was much colder at the end of our journey than it had been in the beginning. I had no previous experience of trekking and bought all my clothes in a rushed shopping trip where cost was of the essence. Both my pairs of zip off trousers looked hideous, although one pair was very practical with well placed pockets - and I wore these virtually all the time. The others were pretty useless - I found it really difficult to access the pockets and only wore these when my others hadn't dried.

I also wore a pair of lightweight 3/4 length cargo pants a lot in the evenings, but if I'd had better fitting hiking pants then these would not have been necessary.

When I walk my next camino, I will go with the knowledge that comfort is key, and if it is possible to incorporate a bit of style, then that will be a bonus. I will invest in new pants that fit well and look sufficiently ok to be happy to wear them as shorts or trousers after arriving at my destination. I would not bother with a skirt or dress, just maybe a pretty T-shirt and vest top to relax in.

My merino wool t-shirts were great, didn't get smelly and could go a couple of days without washing. I had one long sleeve and two short sleeve shirts. I didn't wear the long sleeve often for walking, probably only twice, but wore it a lot in the evenings, and to sleep in when it was particularly cold, along with some long johns, that I wore to walk only once or twice under my trousers when it was freezing.

I had not previously experienced crocs. It was only after researching the forums that I decided to give them a go. But still could not bring myself to buy the horribly ugly standard style. I bought a 'pretty' pair (that are so comfortable and versatile that I have worn them every day since my camino - and I speak as someone who owns an embarrassing number of pairs of shoes). However these more delicate crocs did not look quite so pretty when I had to wear them with hiking socks because it was so very cold in the evenings. There was no way I could face putting my boots back on after a shower, so it had to be the crocs, however stupid they looked. So next camino, I will be taking the 'ugly' crocs.

Another very useful and practical item was a 'buff infinity' - a long tubular scarf (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=buff infinity&client=safari&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_k0vUpyWEqXX7Ab-pYGgCQ&ved=0CDoQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=672) that I wore day and night, and comes in a range of colours to suit your style

I posted an assessment of my clothes and gear here: http://wp.me/s3azEo-1273

You will be the only person who notices or cares what you look like - just go for comfort and practicality and as little as possible.

Buen Camino, Maggie

.........Camino Frances with my daughter - http://magwood.wordpress.com

Maggie,

I cannot thank you enough for your very thoughtful reply. You have answered my questions and then some!! Funny, I too, have a pair of those "ugly" crocs (purple) and thought I could not stand to take them no matter their comfort level, but after reading your post, they will be in my pack....purple and all. Also, after I finished your blog, I looked up what a Buff was.....ordered it that day and I love it! Thank you again for all of your feedback, so appreciated!

Rosemary

I am 68 today. I have walked the C.Frances from Roncesvalles to Santiago over three years. and most of Pamplona to Santiago last year. I was hoping to do part of Camino del Norte next spring. but have just read that the bit from Irun to Bilbao is harder than anything on the Frances. so maybe it is not for me.

I would love to start in St.Jean and go over the Pyreenees. Can anyone give me a bit of encouragement.???

Flights from Dublin to Bilbao in May are just €9.99 at present. It seems a pity to waste such good value.
I want to book and know what I am going to do. I know I can book and keep options open. bus to San Sebastian or Pamplona or Biaritz ??
Please encourage me somebody. The family here think me a bit cracked!!

Hi Lydia, I 'm just 75 and I walk different camino routes each year. The Camino del Norte is lovely and I did not find it that difficult from Irun to Bilbao. I flew into Biarritz and short train to Irun. Go for it--- my attitude is " Don't wonder how to do it-- DO it and wonder how you did it ". Also remember it is NOT a race-- travel light-- walk your own pace, that way you keep meeting more new interesting people. Daíthi from Dublin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We walked it when we were both 60. 5 weeks before we left, my husband fell and tore his shoulder muscle - he had to have a major surgical reconstruction. We wondered whether to stay home, but his doctor said, have a go, it's your shoulder not your feet. So off we set, with his arm still in a sling, and walked the whole way with me doing up his bootlaces and cutting up his meat. It was fabulous just the same. Our next camino, In Italy, I was only a few months on from having a vertebra replaced in my spine - and we still did it. Walking is fabulous, you do it at your own pace, stop when you need, stay a few days if you want to somewhere, and you end up incredibly fit (and a bit smug). Go for it - just remember, there are no rules (except for the last 100km) so do it your way.
Maggie Ramsay
Maggie,

Well done and congratulations. May you find more caminos to walk on.

Buen camino and god bless.

Sixty is definitely not too old. We're trying to get throught the harder routes in our 60's so that we can do the easier ones in our 70's and 80's.

We don't stay in those refugios with all those kids much though....
Hi, at a fit 66, I am planning my first walk or cycle (still deciding) in May or June. Which route and accommodations do you recommend Thanks!

I would agree with most of the comments above. I'm 63 and just finished 310 km (Leon to Santiago) in Sept. Although I hike about 6-8 miles every week, on the Camino I walked an average of 15 miles a day with a 20 kilo pack. In retrospect I wouldn't do it that way again. I would take more time to explore and enjoy the place's where you spend each night and less time hiking from one place to another. I would also recommend properly fitted boots and good socks with an inner sock to avoid blisters. I used Compeed on my blisters but I think I could have avoided most of them by not hiking as long a distance each day. I think 10 miles a day +- is a good distance. Your feet will thank you for the shorter distance.

As for what to take and what to leave behind, too much is said about this. Take a few practice hikes (5-7 miles) with a pack filled with what you think you need (you can find many lists). If you're comfortable with the pack and the weight then you're fine. I took more then I needed but after the first day I realized that the extra 5lbs wasn't going to kill me. Like the boots, a properly sized and fitted backpack is more important then how many pound's is in it. Remember that hiking the Camino is not like backpacking! When I backpack I have to carry a lot of food and equipment, on the Camino you don't need that much. Each night you'll be sleeping in a bed and will probably have a shower and a place to wash your clothes (although maybe not a way to dry them!).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Dancoyne,
Surely you mean a 20lb pack, not 20 kgs. My pack weighs 6 kgs and contains everything necessary, with 2 changes of clothes in addition to what I am wearing, and a sleeping bag

My wife and I are part of the 60-plus year old group of Camino pilgrims.
We have some other obligations to take care of before we go in April-May of 2015, but are very much enjoying the Camino de Santiago forum; the back and forth, advice and suggestions, and learning all we can before our personal pilgrimage.
I’ve been a bit more outdoorsy than my wife, but like a lot of people, all of that skiing, mountain-climbing, backpacking, canoeing, and hiking was a lifetime ago.
I’ve picked up a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator trail shoes and am breaking them in. That’s my first Camino purchase, although I amazingly still have a number of clothing items that will more than suffice for a Spring walk in Spain. My wife, thus far, has a lot less serviceable attire. We’ll both be putting together our kits over the next 18-plus months, and will continue to read of everyone’s pilgrimages and dream of our own.
Buen Camino!

In 2011, I walked a piece of the Camino del Norte (San Sebastian to Santander) & had walked from Astorga to Santiago the year before. What I found more difficult on the Norte was both that it was much steeper, wetter & thus muddier (we walked from end of August), but also that there was much less support (e.g. restaurants/ albergues, etc.) which meant having to walk farther at times than was comfortable for me. It was also much less traveled & so when my younger and more fit friend went on ahead, I worried a bit about injuring myself (twisting ankle, etc.) and whether anyone would be coming by if that happened. I am planning to walk the Camino Portugues this year & feel more confident that it will be an easier walk & less isolated. I like having the choice of walking alone (although I will be going with friends this time) & enjoyed that less on the Norte. On the other hand, the views were spectacular (nothing compared on the part of the Frances I completed) (you can see my blog at "dustyscamino.blogspot.com" for some of the photos.) We also decided to stay over a couple of nights (in Guernika & Bilbao) to learn about the history of Guernika & see the Guggenheim (best museum I have ever seen!). I think I would have had less trouble had I fully understood how much MORE DIFFICULT the actual walking was on the Camino del Norte & would have done better had a really understood that it is much more demanding than the 270 kms of the Frances that I completed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I had those Merrills - get some waterproof footwear! Trust me.....:)

I agonized, as only I can, over whether or not to buy something waterproof or mid-sized and finally “settled” on the Merrell Moab Ventilators. I’ve got plenty of time to break-in the shoes and if I wear them out over the next 18-plus months I’ll know whether or not to buy another (or a different) pair for our pilgrimage.

If it matters, I do own and use a pair of REI Gore-Tex fabric socks, with a light pair of silk socks under them, on rainy days.

Hi,
I don't think age is the important thing; I was 60, Ralph was 65. We are now 72 and 77 and this year we did our 11th Camino route (we've hiked in Spain, France, and Portugal and we are planning next year's.) I wrote about our first trip in "Camino Chronicle." Since that time I have learned that trail runners are a lot easier on my feet than heavy boots (even when broken in as mine were!). Also, many of our hikes have been lengthier and more challenging. I think training is very important--steadily, but gradually, increase the weight you carry and the distance you hike. Do some hikes on pavement, some on dirt trails. I would add, it is very different to hike one day a week than it is to hike day after day, so if you can manage it, try to do some (for example) Mon & Tues hikes rather than Mon & Thur hikes. You can do this, and "Buen Camino" to you!

Welcome to the Forum.
Many people over 60 walk the Camino. We were not long distance walkers but have both walked carrying our packs.
Terry first walked in 2009 when he was 65. Started in Exeter, took the Plymouth ferry to Santander, then walked the Norte/Oviedo/Primitivo route. He built up the distance walked daily as he went and allowed 5 weeks, with some rest days. In fact he reached Santiago a few days early.
This year we walked the Camino Inglés together (Terry now 67 and me 62). We walked shorter daily distances - around 15kms a day to suit my capabilities and took 9 days. (Some folk do it in 5.) Terry's comment was that if I could manage the Inglés then he thought that with planning we could complete the Primitivo - we walked a part together in 2010.
So (DV) we will walk from Tineo to Santiago in 2012. We walk regularly to keep in training, last year 5km;7km and 10km walks with packs at around Camino weight. This time, in recognition of the need to walk 15-20km daily we are walking 7km; 10km and 12km training walks with packs at part weight at present. We'll build up to full weight in the New Year.
We use the CSJ guides and plan our prospective days/time needed round them, using the distances not a given 'stage' per day.
There are many useful threads here on the forum, including the one Terry started 'Walking with a Companion'.
I would say 'Go for it' and enjoy yourselves
Buen Camino
Tia Valeria

Thanks for the brilliant advice on preparing for such a walk. We have recently (July 2013) cycled the Camino de Frances and are seriously thinking now of doing the Primitivo, specially as catching the ferry to Santander is a viable option. As my husband has problems with one of his knees, we might again need to use our bikes. But perhaps if I could get him to train, using your suggestions, we could walk instead. I see from the pictures posted in some of the links you have given, that the Primitivo looks even hillier than the Frances (if that were possible, lololol). Loved looking at the pictures, by the way.

You guys are GOOD! You've sold me, and now I would love to get in training to walk, rather than ride (although, if the truth be known, we are dedicated cyclists at home as well as overseas).

Did you complete your Camino, Sullykerry? I do hope so, but do feel that all of us need to be taking the advice given here and train in earnest so that our bodies don't let us down at the last minute.

I agonized, as only I can, over whether or not to buy something waterproof or mid-sized and finally “settled” on the Merrell Moab Ventilators. I’ve got plenty of time to break-in the shoes and if I wear them out over the next 18-plus months I’ll know whether or not to buy another (or a different) pair for our pilgrimage.

If it matters, I do own and use a pair of REI Gore-Tex fabric socks, with a light pair of silk socks under them, on rainy days.
Hello Wayne, how do those Gore text fabric socks for rainy days at REI work?

Well it's done! On the 24th of October I walked into Santiago with my wife, Connie, like a drowned rat! While I didn't walk every single km (skipped walking into and out of some cities) I feel I fulfilled my commitment to the spirit of the Camino. At 82 I didn't find myself the oldest on the Camino. I met a doctor from Toronto who was 83 and there were rumors there was someone 91 walking. But I did carry my pack the entire way. That in itself I think was an accomplishment. In all (took two days off in Leon) it took me six weeks so you can figure out the average mileage per day. On one day I walked almost 28 km and found myself reasonably fresh the next morning.

For those of you still considering I would offer the following:

1. The Camino has its own agenda. Be prepared for surprises!
2. Although not a seasoned long distance walker I started training over a year before I started.
3. It's not necessary to consistently walk long distances day after day. The most important part is knowing how your body will feel after walking 20, 25, or even 30 km. That gives you the confidence to "keep going" when you think it's time to quit!
4. No matter how many times you hear it, it's important. The Camino is not a race. It's to be savored. For most of us we will never have such an extended period of concentrated solitude again in our lives.
5. Don't be hesitant to be alone on the Camino. Even if there is no one around, God is!
6. Stay in a parochial rifugio at least once along the way.

As for packs, shoes, what to take, there's plenty of advice. Over the course of 790 km I lost the equivalent of my pack weight and 2+" off the waist. Based on that don't throw away your pillow because it weighs 50 grams. I missed it!

Buen Camino

Tonite we deliver our personal Camino de Santiago experience to group of 50+ individuals at our local REI store. I produced a nice 8min video and then a supported 21 slide powerpoint on the Camino experience, where to look for information to acquaint themselves with the Camino.
we hyped the show using this 1min commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iDL8ImCQfg0
See you there tonight David. Looking forward to meeting you. Ed

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I LOVE walking the camino as a semi-senior-female. Did my first Camino Frances at age 58 and a half.
Here are specific reasons why I love traveling at an older age:

1) There is waaaaay less gettin hit on, (well, zilch, really) which I TOTALLY appreciate. Can't tell you how freeing that is. My conversations with men and women are blissfully free of sexual tension and undercurrent, and it's friendship baby, friendship all the way. Love it. Am a female who got hit on a lot as a young woman, so I can't say enough what a relief this is.

2) As an older pilgrim, I am a better long distance walker, better able to bring patience, wisdom and equanimity to bear each day. I think we oldsters just know how to endure. I saw many young folk (my heart went out to them) who just didn't have their suck-it-up chops yet, and they were very discouraged and some even quit. After decades of experiencing life, I feel we just know how to put one foot in front of the other with little fanfare or drama.

3) I feel I have a healthy philosophical attitude towards expectations, probably through living through lots of disappointments, lol. But any way you come by it, no expectation is a great thing to accompany one.

4) My body seems to understand it when I push it. I've pushed it A LOT over the years, and there is muscle memory now firmly in place. I feel like my body also knows I'm going to stop eventually. So we are at peace, the bod and I. We've come to terms with each other, my physical form and I, in pretty fabulous ways after nearly 6 decades together. We trust each other.

5) I actually know not to stay out all night and party. I also don't want to. LOL. This makes for a much saner time out there.

6) I also know how stupid it is to look down on those who do party and drink all night. Been there done that, we all have our times for those things.

7) Finally, I don't know, I just have learned to love life and all it offers, good and bad and indifferent. It's all a great ride to me now, in a way it wasn't even 5 years ago. I LOVE getting old. Love it love it love it.

Great thread, by the way!

Last edited:
I LOVE walking the camino as a semi-senior-female. Did my first Camino Frances at age 58 and a half.

1) There is waaaaay less gettin hit on, (well, zilch, really) which I TOTALLY appreciate. Can't tell you how freeing that is. My conversations with men and women are blissfully free of sexual tension and undercurrent, and it's friendship baby, friendship all the way. Love it. Am a female who got hit on a lot as a young woman, so I can't say enough what a relief this is.

2) As an older pilgrim, I am a better long distance walker, better able to bring patience, wisdom and equanimity to bear each day. I think we oldsters just know how to endure. I saw many young folk (my heart went out to them) who just didn't have their suck-it-up chops yet, and they were very discouraged and some even quit. After decades of experiencing life, I feel we just know how to put one foot in front of the other with little fanfare or drama.

3) I feel I have a healthy philosophical attitude towards expectations, probably through living through lots of disappointments, lol. But any way you come by it, no expectation is a great thing to accompany one.

4) My body seems to understand it when I push it. I've pushed it A LOT over the years, and there is muscle memory now firmly in place. I feel like my body also knows I'm going to stop eventually. So we are at peace, the bod and I. We've come to terms with each other, my physical form and I, in pretty fabulous ways after nearly 6 decades together. We trust each other.

5) I actually know not to stay out all night and party. I also don't want to. LOL. This makes for a much saner time out there.

6) I also know how stupid it is to look down on those who do party and drink all night. Been there done that, we all have our times for those things.

7) Finally, I don't know, I just have learned to love life and all it offers, good and bad and indifferent. It's all a great ride to me now, in a way it wasn't even 5 years ago. I LOVE getting old. Love it love it love it.

Loved this post homa_bird, but I shouldn't really comment as I am only a whippersnapper of 59. :)

See you there tonight David. Looking forward to meeting you. Ed
Ed it was wonderful of you to attend our show. I hope it helped encourage your goals for your up coming Camino trip. Stay tuned as we build on our get together and add a local Americans on the Camino chapter.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So nice that this thread is still ongoing - so many of us are over 60 I guess!

I think we just have to remember the Tortoise and the Hare - don't you think? I vote for the Tortoise every time ;)

Buen Camino!

I just loved reading this! It "fits" me. I will be 60 in April 2014 before starting in May 2014. :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am 68 today. I have walked the C.Frances from Roncesvalles to Santiago over three years. and most of Pamplona to Santiago last year. I was hoping to do part of Camino del Norte next spring. but have just read that the bit from Irun to Bilbao is harder than anything on the Frances. so maybe it is not for me.

I would love to start in St.Jean and go over the Pyreenees. Can anyone give me a bit of encouragement.???

Flights from Dublin to Bilbao in May are just €9.99 at present. It seems a pity to waste such good value.
I want to book and know what I am going to do. I know I can book and keep options open. bus to San Sebastian or Pamplona or Biaritz ??
Please encourage me somebody. The family here think me a bit cracked!!

Your family may be right, however, you should have no problem with the SJPDP starting point, the scenery is beautiful and the trail is stable and well groomed. the up loaded photo is what you will find at the top of the Pyreenees.

Attachments

• IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 44
Your family may be right, however, you should have no problem with the SJPDP starting point, the scenery is beautiful and the trail is stable and well groomed. the up loaded photo is what you will find at the top of the Pyreenees.
Awesome pic david!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
thanks Ed, and for attending last nites presentation on the Camino. We may be down your way for same showing in a few months. REI received request from a womans group (of 40) in Daytona area who are planning for a Camino next spring. will keep you posted.

thanks Ed, and for attending last nites presentation on the Camino. We may be down your way for same showing in a few months. REI received request from a womans group (of 40) in Daytona area who are planning for a Camino next spring. will keep you posted.
Please keep me posted to this. I will be there! Thx for the heads up David.

With preparations in full swing, I anticipate starting the journey from Australia, 14th April. The various forums I've accessed have given so much supportive advice and now I feel ready to begin my first camino. The physical training part I've enjoyed, the shopping for clothes and basic equipment [back packs, boots, sleeping bag etc] not as much. There is a danger in reading too much [for me at least] as information overload can create confusion, especially if certain brands are not available. But, I've decided to buy all I need, pack it, practice walking up hill and down with pack/boots and put away the lists and relax. The excitement is building even at this early date. Roll on April!

I'm not sure what all you "60+" are so worried about. If we were all at school together, I certainly wouldn't be speaking to you babies. John in NJ try to get that pack down to 8 kgs. There's loads of stuff you simply won't need. 12 to 15 kgs? Are you taking your home PC and your favourite armchair? Leave it all behind!
I made a complete list of everything I took on each of the last two pilgrimages. Send me a personal message and I'll attach it [it's in Excel format which I can't upload on the forum].
Diaries of the last three pilgrimages are on my web site [see blow]. These will give you ideas of distances etc.
Im celebrating my 75th birthday next May on the Camino Ingles.
Buen camino, amigo!

Some humor for the over 60 crowd.

Muscles have memories but mine have Alzheimers. We restarted our Camino after a six month break and little time for prep, thinking we'd regain our Camino legs in a week. Double that.

Advice from a senior cyclist from Alaska. "It's not like you're twenty something with no ass, hauling across the countryside"

Encountered a gentleman in the ladies room. He was washing his hands and a bit embarrassed. Pointed to the fold down changing table - "bebe".

Tonite we deliver our personal Camino de Santiago experience to group of 50+ individuals at our local REI store. I produced a nice 8min video and then a supported 21 slide powerpoint on the Camino experience, where to look for information to acquaint themselves with the Camino.
we hyped the show using this 1min commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iDL8ImCQfg0
Loved the commercial? Thanks for sharing it. A great teaser for any meeting or discussion about the Camino experience.

€83,-

See 80 years Old and over

hello stephen,

congratulations on your upcoming 75th birthday. you re still young. i have encountered quite a few veteran peregrinos older than you in my albergue in santiago. as i will be returning to work in santiago and also planning to walk this coming february the caminho portugues, i hope to have a chance to meet you sometimes in the future.

seeing you are from suffolk, give me a shout when you are in london.

buen camino and god bless.

I would love to hear from some senior trekkers about how they planned their Camino adventure. I am planning to walk next year in my 60th year with my 63 yr. old brother. We have concerns about being too ambitious about the distance we can reasonably walk in any given day. We are in good health, but not experienced long distance hikers. Should we join a tour with support van? We would like to try the Camino del Norte in September. We want to walk, but be realistic about it. Any advise would be appreciated.
I am sixty-seven, that is until March when I turn sixty-eight. After waiting twenty-three years and recovering from serious after effects of radiation therapy for prostate cancer I decided to get ready for the Camino Frances two years ago. Walking the Camino was not easy but is an accomplishment of my life. The spiritual, emotional and physical growth has changed my approach to life.

That having been said I learned some lessons. The most important was to realistically manage my expectations and adjust accordingly. I started out with the idea I had to do this carrying my pack every step of the way and sleep in Albergues every night. Also it was my intention to walk each segment according to the guide. After having several problems I adjusted and used the services available including rooms with my own bathroom, forwarding my bag to the next destination and capping my walking at twenty Kilometers a day. My advice to everyone, not only seniors, is to be realistic. The Camino seems to reward everyone who shows up and develops his or her own strategy. Believe me the Camino will provide what you need.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you Falcon: Did you or anyone use tincture of Benzoine to treat blisters? Contrary to what I have learned in First Aid courses, the roof of the blister should NOT be removed after draining it.

I have used trekking poles in the past to help with balance and footing. However I have used them only while hiking with a light day pack for a few hours at a time. As a slightly overweight 210 lbs male at 5'11" would using them for a 45 day hike be advisable? Thank you again.

Hello there
Yes to poles (as with everything to do with pilgrim walks people hold very strong and often opposing opinions). I always use two poles with the little springs in the tips and wouldn't walk without them. The first camino we did my husband had had shoulder surgery and could only use one, next time, in Italy, he used two and said two was a lot better than one. They help with giving you extra spring for every step, for leaning on when you re tired, and for helping with balance on tricky bits. (We are also oldies.)

If you use vaseline, liners and good wicking socks (either coolmax or wool) and change them at lunchtime for fresh ones you shouldn't get blisters. If you do, perhaps your boots are the wrong fit for your feet.
Maggie Ramsay

Re: 60 and over on the Camino( Arkansas)

Names Joe , 66 yrs old , Springdale, Arkansas . My wife Laurie and I will be on the Camino Frances in Sept 2014.

Started my Camino two weeks ago when I quit smoking . Ive been exercising for awhile , walking daily and eating a balanced diet . I don't drink so this gives me plenty of withdraw time to get off my tush and walk , walk, walk. To educate ourselves we have been devouring Camino books.. Just finished

"What the Psychic Told the Pilgrim: A Midlife Misadventure on Spain's Camino de Santiago"
by Jane Christmas

It's a good read and hilarious to boot

also ... "Six Months Walking the Wilds: Of Western Europe: The Long Way to Santiago"
by Steve Cooper . This guy is a Master Trekking and a wealth of knowledge .

Buen Camino!
You might also enjoy "To the Field of Stars" by Kevin Codd. After watching "the movie" and becoming intrigued, this book let me know that this trek was a journey I could do, and would want to do. I read it twice.

Then, of course, I wrote a blog about my journey, which you can follow on the address below.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Don't worry about making it, you will. Simply follow the yellow arrows until they run out. I was 64 when I started out in September 2011 and felt like a 46 year old after I finished. I always walk alone, I prefer to, but there are more than enough people to help with any problem you will come across.

I used the CSJ guide which lists the distances between hostels which I think you may find very useful when planning your days, how you feel, and how far you need to walk to the next hostel. This was a decision I used to make each lunch time.

The other point is, you will love it, it will stay with you all your life and you will be able to recall wonderful memories in long and healthy dotage. Good luck and this is my blog on the CF. I will be writing more here when I walk the Camino from Porto to SdeC in June.

Remember, 60 is the new 40.

http://dartmoorman.blogspot.co.uk/

I'm with Stephen. When did people consider themselves a "senior" at 60?! The retirement age where I grew up is 67. But I know many people in their 70s and 80s I would never call old. Twenty-year-olds can't keep up with them. Sixty is still middle-aged. Please try not to set limits on yourself. You will do great!

As part of that over-60 crowd for 7 caminos, I think you can do it. Press yourself just enough for the first part to be "conditioning." Avoid overdoing it. You aren't 20, and your recovery time will be longer than in your youth. Take care of your feet. Take breaks. Stop when you are tired. Do not follow the standard camino stages; if you are good for only 6 km, then walk only 6 km. Do not try to keep up with the interesting people you meet. It will only pull you off of your own pace. Expect to hurt. Expect most of the hurt to go away each night. Accept discomfort. Avoid misery. Everything about a camino is optional, so do not burden yourself with a lot of artificial rules or expectations, particularly the rules and expectations of others. There is no right way. There is no official route, just the path the local juntas set. Most of the traditional route of yore is under pavement. There is no such thing as cheating (except if you accept a Compostela when you did not meet the criteria).

One step at a time. Have no goal except that next step. Have fun! Buen camino.
fabulous post, each of your sentences would give a reason to write a whole chapter for a book. Brilliant

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I found this researching the Stevenson route. It is a bit tougher than the Frances, but still draws an older crowd:

ages of hikers.JPG

friends, i am 66 and i walked the camino frances from sjpdp to santigo in 38 days. i recommend you get in reasonable physical shape, use walking sticks, break in your boots or walking shoes and feet, learn elementary spanish, allow for about 40 days, light pack, light camera, no sleeping bag, no tent, no cooking gear, use inserts in shoes and take crocs or flipflops. give your feet extra care, always have extra water, fruit, and enjoy the ride. the camino is life: there will be pain, it will sting at times, there will be joy. you will meet some incredible people who have a shared goal. warning: walking the camino is addictive. it will become your focus, your raison d'etre. it may become the greatest experience of your life. buen camino

I think it's organizations such as the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) and others like it who get people thinking they are "old" or "senior" long before their time. It's to their advantage to have people thinking they are old, when in fact, they are not. AARP begins hounding people before they even turn 50!

In the States, you are considered a "young adult" from 18 - 40. That's more than 20 years. But you are only middle-aged from 40 - 50?! And anyone over 50 is old? I think not.

If you live in the US, you don't get 4 - 6 weeks of vacation or holiday. You're lucky to get 1 - 2 weeks. Americans have to wait until they have the time to walk the Camino--which means after retirement. I lived in France for years and it was a shock coming to America!

You really are only as old as you think.

This thread has turned out to be much better than I ever hoped for. Thank you all for your advise. I'm sure others are benefiting from the responses & enjoy comparing notes as well.
One other question I have not found elsewhere. If one does not drink wine/liquor will I find other things to drink? Or be laughed out of the restaurants?
Hi Labtails,
Many of the bars have the most wonderful fresh orange juice - squeezed while you watch. You will find many things to drink that are the same as or similar to whatever you like to drink at home.
Buen camino! (I've walked about 3500km on these caminos between ages 60 and 70 - 1200km last spring and going for 1600 next time (asap-probably age 72ish) Just keep putting one foot ahead of the other:) I'd like to give you every encouragement. And as for soreness - I feel a lot more sore sitting around home than I ever do on the camino. But as everyone says - listen to your body. You can push, but you'll know when you're pushing too hard.

My friend and I did the French route in 2009, starting in Roncesvalles, she was then 76 and I was 65 years old. We loved it!! You just listen to your body, my friend found the heat difficult to cope with so we did not do the Meseta section, took a bus from Burgos to Leon, and my pack was too heavy, 9kg, so I ditched whatever I could and ended up with 6kg which was bearable. We found that 15 to 20km per day suited us best so that is what we did. So, most important -- light packs, short daily distances, and of course do a lot of training with the pack and the shoes you will be wearing on the camino.
I am planning to do the VdlPlata or Portuguese route again soon, on my own (female 70y).
I have no hesitation in recommending the camino routes to senior people - as long as you walk to your own ability!!

I completed the Camino de Santiago last Nov.3, 2013, walking the 790 km. journey from Roncesvalles to Santiago from Oct. 1-Nov.3,2013. I celebrated my 78th birthday during the walk. I prepared myself for the journey for a least a year, walking early in the morning initially for 1 hour and then with time increasing it gradually to 2,3,4 and finally 5 hours, covering 3-15 miles daily. In retrospect, I should have included walking in mid-day, in hilly routes and also while raining wearing my backpack. I walked with a support van (Spanish Steps Company) and would recommend it. I did it because of my age. You are relatively young but you may think about it.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was nearly 59 when I walked the Camino Ingles from Ferrol to SdC [ 118 kms in three days] I am fit for my age but I think you can bank on 15 km per day at a reasonable pace. It is worth training [ I did 3-4 long walks per week for three months in preparation ] Buen Camino Pilgrim 2013

I (63) just completed 200 miles from Leon to Santiago on the Camino Frances (in Sept.) and would recommend that route for your first trip. I averaged about 15 miles a day but would not do that much when I go back again. I think 10 miles a day (or less) gives you time to more fully enjoy the Camino and to explore and maybe avoid blisters. You should make sure you're up to hiking that many miles and that your equipment (shoes & pack!) work the way you want them to so I would hike at least once a week with the equipment you plan to take.

My average on my caminos 25/30 km a day, seldom have problems with blisters, wear the same old boots, straight to the cobbler when I go home, my free pass in post. In my country that's 66

€83,-

My only training was red wine and tapas! However I started slowly from St.Jean Pied a Port, walked over the Pyrenees in panic (snow!!) and settled down to 20 kms daily, on average. It's not at all difficult! Just put one foot in front of the other. [commercial link removed by moderator] will help you (unashamedly mine!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello friends,I have walked the Camino,St Jean to Santaigo in thongs two years running.Five weeks,just walking as I felt on the day5k to45k.I am 68y.Will be doing a different route next time.Did it in September/October/12/13.Take your time,enjoy the view graememayne

Last edited by a moderator:
In thongs??????? Nothing else?????? Does this mean something else outside of the UK?

Hello friends,I have walked the Camino,St Jean to Santaigo in thongs two years running.Five weeks,just walking as I felt on the day5k to45k.I am 68y.Will be doing a different route next time.Did it in September/October/12/13.Take your time,enjoy the view graememayne
I am 3 months out. I plan to start in St. Jean or Roncevalles on May 2. I can't wait. I'll be 66 by then but have never been in better shape to do the Camino, mentally or physically. I recently hurt my foot, and the incident taught me a lesson: stay mindful and don't get cocky.

€83,-
Well, just to chuck in my twopennorth.
My first camino was in 2011, when aged 64 - an (easy) start: the Ingles.
Later that year I did some of the Madrid. 2012 I started the Frances, gave up at Najera for reasons of no interest, I'm sure, to anyone else. Then last year I completed the Frances in 2 stages, plus doing the Ingles once again.
This May, I am off to do the Frances again, in one hit, SJPDP to SdC in 21 days. At the age of 67. For 100 euros. Partly to prove a point, that it can be done on a shoestring, and partly because I'm skint! Camping, and living off supermercado supplies of bread,cheese,fruit,wine, blahblah. For me, the albergue meetings/pilgrim comradeship/walking companions/shared meals (apart from the first one, at L'Esprit du Chemin) have never happened, Simply, the walking through lovely countryside all day, in solitude, does it for me. (and Rioja at 2 euros a bottle helps, lol) But then, perhaps I'm just a miserable B*******:(
I will report back on completion of the "100 Euro Camino".:)

Last edited:
We've got to stop thinking of aging as a disease or something to overcome. Have you seen children and young adults in the States, the UK, Australia? (Sorry, I don't mean to pick on English speakers and I'm one of them.) It's the middle age and better who are in good shape--not good shape for their age, fit, period. It's like saying, "She's pretty for her age." That isn't a compliment. There's a saying: "Aging is a privilege, getting old is optional." I'm opting out on the "old" part. I do what I want without considering my age as a factor.

I'm in my mid 60's and modest but we walked the entire Camino Francis last September. Stayed at Orison the first night and after that we listened to our body. It takes a week to get acclimated but it will happen. Take it slow at first and enjoy. We took a rest day every 8th day and some days we walked 18 miles and some days 12 miles. You'll do just fine. We hope to go again this September on Del Norte but it has more hills and not as many hostels or people. Good luck from an old fart....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
hi age is only numbers hope to start the del norte in may from IRUN is it a big think im 72

My advice: Just go and don't worry about it. In April '09 the wife and I loaded up some packs and went to SJPP. The next day we put them on for the first time and set out. We had never walked more than 10 miles in a single day in our lives. We were 65 and 68. We were on the Frances where accommodation is plentiful and stages can be short. That's not so true on the Norte, but find a way to just go at your own pace (ours was about 16 km/day), don't reserve forward (so you can stop wherever it feels right) and it'll be wonderful. It was so good for us that we did it again in '12, same way.

Cimarron, also known as Mike, walked the Francis in summer of 2013 at age 92 essentially walking each Bierley stage in a day with three zero days. He is a lifetime hiker who walked all of the Appalachian Trail (2175 miles) about 8 years ago. He found the Camino much easier than the AT and will go back to the AT again in summer of 2014.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My advice: Just go and don't worry about it. In April '09 the wife and I loaded up some packs and went to SJPP. The next day we put them on for the first time and set out. We had never walked more than 10 miles in a single day in our lives. We were 65 and 68. We were on the Frances where accommodation is plentiful and stages can be short. That's not so true on the Norte, but find a way to just go at your own pace (ours was about 16 km/day), don't reserve forward (so you can stop wherever it feels right) and it'll be wonderful. It was so good for us that we did it again in '12, same way.
Just to note that Labtails started this thread a long time ago and has actually walked the Norte, but this is still true. There is a lot of helpful advice here for us older folk. Any plans to walk again @dkenagy - we enjoyed meeting you in '12.

Also @Maya2 it isn't being ageist or seeing it as a disease, just recognising that we are older and maybe need to be more considerate of our joints and the weight we carry.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back