• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

60th birthday on Camino where to stay

Chrissycs

Time of past OR future Camino
I would love some suggestions for the best place to stay for the night to celebrate my 60th birthday on June 30th with my husband. We plan to begin Camino from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port taking 33 days to Santiago de Compostela arriving in Santiago within first week of July.
Best being the town, the hotel the everything ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am not exactly sure where on the Camino Frances you will be next June 30. But the parador in León might be a good choice. We stayed there on our first camino and loved the luxury and sense of history there. Also there are many things to do in that city.

Tom

I would love some suggestions for the best place to stay for the night to celebrate my 60th birthday on June 30th with my husband. We plan to begin Camino from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port taking 33 days to Santiago de Compostela arriving in Santiago within first week of July.

I'll be spending my 60th birthday this year at municipal albergue Sao Pedro de Rates on the Camino Portugues. I guess your day depends on when you start, how much you walk, where you land, and what you are looking for. One of my most memorable experiences on the camino was sharing my birthday with other pilgrims who sang Happy Birthday to me in several languages! ( I did not reveal my birthday, the hospitalero noticed it on my passport and said nothing, then planned the surprise. Lovely, heartwarming.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am not exactly sure where on the Camino Frances you will be next June 30. But the parador in León might be a good choice. We stayed there on our first camino and loved the luxury and sense of history there. Also there are many things to do in that city.

Tom
Hi Tom, we don’t know either but Leon is where we thought, so THANKYOU! I shall have a look at your suggestion.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you would like something in that historical style, the NH Palacio de Burgos (in Burgos) is also very pretty and service is amazing. I started my camino from there in 2015. It is very close to the Cathedral, breakfast was great... I loved it.

https://www.nh-collection.com/hotel/nh-collection-palacio-de-burgos

It is also not too far from SJPP, if you are going there in the following days.

I don't know when you are starting and what the weather will be on June 30th 2019 but I would just forget about the hotel. Hotel ceilings are nothing compared to open starry sky on the Meseta (roughly between Burgos and Leon on CF). The price of sleeping mats and/or even the tent will be less than any Parador if you would stay that night all for yourself under that sky. If you need them of course but you can donate them in the albergue the next day. You can can go to top-shit hotel anytime, but will you opt for sleeping outside anytime soon (or later)? I guess not. Bring a bottle of wine, plastic glasses (or not - when was the last time you drank from the bottle???), swiss army knife, some chorizo and goat cheese and bread and there you have it...

All the best to you!

Last edited:
You should be able to get something nice in Sarria, which is a little more than 100k from Santiago, but there’s not much in between (maybe Portomarin?) Since the first week of July is when you’re ending your Camino, there’s really not a lot of choice, since that’s literally the next day after June 30.
If I were doing it I’d wait until Santiago and go to the parador, the Reyes Católicos, right next to the cathedral. That should be memorable.

All the best,
Paul

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Chrissycs if you think you will be in León at the time, there are quite a few luxury hotels apart from the Parador. It really is a beautiful city with fabulous food, fine dining and wonderful things to see and a great choice for a special celebration. The cathedral is my absolute favourite and no-one should miss the Pantheon of the Kings in the Basilica de San Isidoro.

There are also luxurious Casa Rurals at various places near Leon. Try searching on booking.com

Calle Mayor logrono simply best hotel I have stayed in . Right on Camino route in old town pixtos and bars metres away , near Cathedral.
Rooms massive , best shower, great facilty old 16th century palace converted with taste, only thirty rooms I am here at moment so hurry.

Hi Tom, we don’t know either but Leon is where we thought, so THANKYOU! I shall have a look at your suggestion.

Try this historic hotel in leon
Hotel Real Colegiata***
Pz Santo Martino, 5
24003 León (España)
Tfno 0034 987 875 088
Fax 0034 987 876 350
www.hotelrealcolegiata.es

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I have been on the camino on my birthday for the last 8 years and nearing 70 years i
Never change my routine. Walk eat sleep and a good bottle of Vino Tinto. 2 years ago my daughter met me in Santo Domingo de la Calzada and booked into Parador de Santo Domingo. Day night to remember

You could always celebrate your birthday and the end of your camino in the Parador Reis Catolicos - finish in style!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Next birthday in spring and will be on camino from Lisbon might make Casa Fernanda and treat myself in Santiago Hostal de los Reyes Catolicos unless my daughter spoils me again safe trekking everybody

Having stayed in both the Parador (typically north of 200E) and San Martin Pinario (regular rooms typically 45-50E) in Santiago de Compostella, San Martin Pinario is almost as good but so much better value

While Burgos and Leon sound very nice and have nice hotels, they will be far behind you if you are planning on walking the last 100 km and intend to arrive in SdC in the first week of July. One option, as suggested by some, might be to accelerate a bit, if it is not too difficult, to arrive in SdC on the birthday instead of in the next week. The parador is quite expensive and the rooms are not uniquely wonderful, but there is something about staying in a building that Ferdinand and Isabela had constructed to house pilgrims. It has some beautiful cloisters and a nice gothic chapel. And the location can't be beat. I really hesitate to advise anyone to accelerate their Camino, though.

I don't know if anyone can recommend a really nice place to stay in somewhere like Portomarin or Melide. On the other hand, if you end up in a pilgrim family, you may enjoy a birthday spent in fellowship with them more than a birthday spent by yourselves in a hotel.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If your birthday is June 30th and you are planning to finish early in the first week of July, then the obvious suggestion is to finish walking in Santiago on your birthday. A woman I met along the way last year had planned that for her 70th birthday. A bunch of us were there in the square to celebrate her arrival and birthday. I think that would be a day to remember. In fact I will be 60 next June maybe I should plan that for me.

My other suggestion is not to plan anything. If possible it is best to walk without a strict schedule to allow for injuries, walking with others etc etc. Wherever you end up on the day. A day walking on the Camino, a night in a humble alburgue sharing a pilgrim menu and a few bottles of wine with other walkers would be a lovely birthday too.

Closer to Santiago there is Pazo de Sedor, a little way off the Camino near Castaneda.
A friend and I stayed there in 2014 and it was very special without being the least pretentious or snooty.
It's only 2 days from Santiago, though, which might not suit your needs...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I didnt like Pazo de Sedor as the woman was a bit strange and our lovely view from the room was just of the sky.
I loved the Alberge Turistico Salceda we had a lovely rustic private room and a great atmosphere as there were also dorms. The food was great.
I also loved Pazo Xan xordo near lavacolla. We arrived completely drenched to a beautiful place with a four poster bed. Lovely hot bath, minibar. No dinner available so we ate our snacks and the minibar contents, we were ready for our large breakfast the next day

We plan to begin Camino from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port taking 33 days to Santiago de Compostela arriving in Santiago within first week of July.

Hi, sounds like you will be walking the Brierley stages :).

In which case, on 30 June 2019, you will be in Triacastela, or Sarria, or Portomarin, or Palas de Rei, or Arzua . . . hmmm, nothing jumps to mind in any of those places :(.

You could just toss Brierley out the window :D, go with the flow and see where you end up.

My birthday this year happened to be on the same day as another member of my “camino family”. They bought a birthday cake, we celebrated in the albergue, and then the 10 of us went out for dinner together. They sang Happy Birthday to us in English, Italian, German and Portuguese.

It was really special, especially as it was unexpected and unplanned.
Jill

Try this historic hotel in leon
Hotel Real Colegiata***
Pz Santo Martino, 5
24003 León (España)
Tfno 0034 987 875 088
Fax 0034 987 876 350
www.hotelrealcolegiata.es
I did stay at this hotel ( a converted convent ) on one of my caminos...lovely. But I do remember that check-in was very late in the day. They did offer to hold my bag, but I was not able to actually clean up and rest until very late in afternoon. You might inquire about this check in time and plan around it, perhaps staying a full day ahead of your birthday for two days? Great architecture to poke around in...good location.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think the best birthday present you can give yourself is to see where you are when you are there. Every place you will go will have something wonderful to offer. After a few weeks on the Camino you will most likely appreciate the gift of living in the moment whether you spend June 30th in a crowded albergue chatting with new friends or in beautiful parador resting in your own room (and eating eggs for breakfast!) it will be a memorable and happy birthday. Of course now you have a year to not plan which is not so easy to not do. :) Buen Camino!

You could always celebrate your birthday and the end of your camino in the Parador Reis Catolicos - finish in style!
If I were to celebrate a special birthday, and if I needed to do so in a nice place, that would be my choice. Otherwise, any place along the Camino would be a great choice.

One of my favorite Albergues was Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo. Muncho and Pablo were amazing. It is peaceful and restful. They have a late afternoon yoga class, delicious vegetarian meal, singing by staff. We felt totally restored. Congratulations on your venture, I turned 60 this year on June 30! And completed my Camino last October. Buen Camino

If you are in the earlier stages of CF check out San Zoilo http://sanzoilo.com/ It is a monestary converted in luxury hotel. The “pilgrim menu” is Michellin star. It is at Corrion de los Condes.

My walking buddy from Sydney had his 60th birthday 11 Dec 2017 in O’Cebriero. Some of the “Camino family” who started with us in SJPP made sure they were there, so there was about 10 of us. Was driving with snow outside, freezing cold, and we sat in front of the fire having a few reds well into the night, and the Bar owners showed no inclination to kick us out. Great night, magical location.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My 60th fell during my first Camino in 2007. I worked out I would be in Rabanal on 23rd May.
12 of my lovely Camino family joined me for dinner at the Parador in Rabanal,an unforgettable night.

We stayed at the Real http://www.hotelrealcolegiata.com/en/
We payed 87E in 2016. A lot of history. Big rooms

We stayed at the parador but attended mass at San Isador. It was wonderful and the priest had all pilgrims, there were about 7 of us, stand up at the front of the church and do a reading and sing. We felt special and blessed. It is a beautiful church.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you spend it in Leon, don't miss time to sit and soak up the amazing energy of Basilica San Isidoro, close to the cathedral. I stopped in Leon for 2 weeks to heal a number of injuries. But the most healing thing I did almost every day was go back to San Isidoro. The most remarkable things there, which often brought me to tears in a COLD late November were the radiators that run across the front of every single pew in the entire place. A miraculous heated basilica! A woman working at the nearby Cathedral told me that the city of Leon heats Isidoro so that even the poor who can't afford heat in cold weather and the homeless have one warm place where they are welcome. I dearly hope that it is true.

At that point in my Camino from SJPP I was covered with bed bug scabs I was trying to heal from multiple encounters with the little beasts and a lot of structural pain. Just being inside of San Isidoro made every breath and every moment of my life feel precious and sacred. I'm not a religious person. Rather, I say this out of direct experience. Consider making the time to really soak it up on your birthday. I met others who were touched by this place as well.

If you go just a bit beyond Leon there is a fabulous albergue/small spiritual community called Albergue Verde in Hospital de Orbigo. Just your basic L bag with many beds in one room, but it was spotless, the homemade food was out of this world and they clearly honor every pilgrim that comes through their doors. This would not be the option for your birthday if you're looking for space and privacy and luxury, but. It would be welcoming, delicious and memorable.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.