• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

6th June 2017 is decided! A few questions...

angelab

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances June (2017)
Hello everyone,
I have decided to begin my solo pilgrimage from SJPP on Tues 6 June. Am feeling excited, and yet nervous. I have done no training, and have had severe back pain for 7 days due to a 23hr flight from Australia to London. I begin the Camino with basic fitness but haven't walked long distances for a fairly long time. I am an ex-marathon runner so am assuming my body remembers that it can do long distances. I've not bought my pack or anything to go in it yet. I've not booked my flight or transfer from Biarritz yet. Have booked accommodation 1st night in SJPP at Beilari. Am I rushing it? Is it best to wait a little longer? It feels right to walk early June but feel unprepared. I've read in several posts that people have successfully walked the entire Camino with no training. My sense is to trust my body and myself and not to push it!
Any thoughts are much appreciated. I'm hesitant to book my flight until i'm 100% sure.
Many thanks, Angela

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Go for it! I have seen 80+year old people walking, very overweight people walking, people with neuropathy in their legs, and even a blind man walking. If you really want to do this, the Camino will provide. Take it slow, listen to your body, take care of your feet, help others, and you will make it. You can do this. From here on out though...positive self talk only!

Coo! You Australians, so relaxed - 500 mile walk and I'm not prepared? No worries, I can do that! - Good on you!!

The whole trick is to take as little as you can - if you do have a sensitive back then even more important to pack as light as you can.
The other one is to ignore the 'day stages' - they are supposed to be a guide, not an endurance test - walk until tired, stop there.

Enjoy!!

Buen Camino!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
yeah, you've got this. You will never feel fully prepared, go for it.
Just remember to listen to your body and take regular breaks! (it's not a marathon, it's 20 marathons on end... endurance is the game)

Go for it! I have seen 80+year old people walking, very overweight people walking, people with neuropathy in their legs, and even a blind man walking. If you really want to do this, the Camino will provide. Take it slow, listen to your body, take care of your feet, help others, and you will make it. You can do this. From here on out though...positive self talk only!

Coo! You Australians, so relaxed - 500 mile walk and I'm not prepared? No worries, I can do that! - Good on you!!

The whole trick is to take as little as you can - if you do have a sensitive back then even more important to pack as light as you can.
The other one is to ignore the 'day stages' - they are supposed to be a guide, not an endurance test - walk until tired, stop there.

Enjoy!!

Buen Camino!!
Hahaha yes Aussies are generally quite relaxed. Am planning 6-7-8 weeks as no time restrictions. Purchasing backpack & shoes on Thurs.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Early June is a great time to walk the Camino. Go at your own pace, remember it is not a race. I'd recommend booking the first night at Orisson alberque, and not try to make it to
Roncenvales in one day. So slow - baby steps if you are tired. Bring a good hat, perhaps a hiking umbrella. It can get hot on the mountain pass to Roncenvales, with little shade in some spots. Usually there is a cooling breeze.

If you are unable to reserve a bed at Orisson, then it is worth considering the Valcarlos route. The pilgrims office in SJPDP provides a map detailing the route. It is very pretty, you still have to go over the Pyrenees but the ascent is gentler. This also allows you to stay overnight at the albergue there which takes reservations - somewhere on this forum @mspath has posted details of how to do this.
Buen Camino!

If you are unable to reserve a bed at Orisson, then it is worth considering the Valcarlos route. The pilgrims office in SJPDP provides a map detailing the route. It is very pretty, you still have to go over the Pyrenees but the ascent is gentler. This also allows you to stay overnight at the albergue there which takes reservations - somewhere on this forum @mspath has posted details of how to do this.
Buen Camino!

Here is a copy of the map the SJPdP Pilgrim Office will give you.

On all my caminos I have walked the Valcarlos alternative; it is the ONLY way open in snow. The new municipal albergue is VERY comfortable with good heat, blankets and showers. You can reserve in advance if you wish. For more info see http://www.luzaide-valcarlos.net/.

You can email direct at

Luzaide-Valcarlos@wanadoo.es

Between SJPdP and Valcarlos there is only one place for food/water/petrol near the old frontier; between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles there is no place for food or water. Be prepared!

Buen camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everyone,
I have decided to begin my solo pilgrimage from SJPP on Tues 6 June. Am feeling excited, and yet nervous. I have done no training, and have had severe back pain for 7 days due to a 23hr flight from Australia to London. I begin the Camino with basic fitness but haven't walked long distances for a fairly long time. I am an ex-marathon runner so am assuming my body remembers that it can do long distances. I've not bought my pack or anything to go in it yet. I've not booked my flight or transfer from Biarritz yet. Have booked accommodation 1st night in SJPP at Beilari. Am I rushing it? Is it best to wait a little longer? It feels right to walk early June but feel unprepared. I've read in several posts that people have successfully walked the entire Camino with no training. My sense is to trust my body and myself and not to push it!
Any thoughts are much appreciated. I'm hesitant to book my flight until i'm 100% sure.
Many thanks, Angela

Go for it! As the saying goes, , start like an old person and you'll finish like a young one, or something like that ... ;)
Ultreia!

I never trained for my caminos. But, I had been a ballet/ modern dancer off and on prior to caminos. However, in 2014 I walked after ten year: camino, dance, life hiatus. Now, that was a challenge, sprained an ankle, more due to mud flats of winter than lack of exercise though. Take it slowly first few days then marathon legs should kick in.
Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here is a copy of the map the SJPdP Pilgrim Office will give you.

On all my caminos I have walked the Valcarlos alternative; it is the ONLY way open in snow. The new municipal albergue is VERY comfortable with good heat, blankets and showers. You can reserve in advance if you wish. For more info see http://www.luzaide-valcarlos.net/.

You can email direct at

Luzaide-Valcarlos@wanadoo.es

Between SJPdP and Valcarlos there is only one place for food/water/petrol near the old frontier; between Valcarlos and Roncesvalles there is no place for food or water. Be prepared!

Buen camino!
Thanks for the info :) have sent email to Refuge Orrison & if booked will go Valcarlos route :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Angelab,

On the time you have ledt before your walk I would focus on three things, in this order: your back, the shoes you will use to walk in and your back pack.

I urge you to visit osteopath, accupuncturist, massage therapist, someone, to help alleviate your back pain. And then be careful when putting yourp pack on and talking it off; ask for help from a fellow pilgrim if you need to. I suffer from a mild scoliosis and every once ina while my back blocks so I am extra careful with my pack. I also carry antiinflammatories and a muscle relaxant. Perhaps you can also visit a doctor in London and see what he or she recommends, unless you already have a working cocktail, like I do. Both antiinflammatories and muscle relaxants are available over the counter in Spain.

Then the shoes. Lots and lots of discussion about what is "best" here on the forum: boots, waterproof or not, sandals, trail runners.... No matter what the model, type, look, make sure you walk in them for a good while prior to heading out to ensure they do not cause you pain and are broken in if they need to be broken in.

Backpack. 35 liters or so should be enough if you are not carrying a sleeping bag. Its weight is key: the lighter the better, and it should be comfy and well adjusted on your back, especially if your back is iffy. Find a store that will help you adjust it properly. Aim for 7kg with it fully loaded, or less if you can, and then add water. If back is still iffy, a bladder may be the way to go so tHe weight is centered all the time

And the. For clothes: quickdry and light is the way to go.

And off you go! Enjoy every step!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Backpack. 35 liters or so should be enough if you are not carrying a sleeping bag. Its weight is key: the lighter the better, and it should be comfy and well adjusted on your back, especially if your back is iffy. Find a store that will help you adjust it properly. Aim for 7kg with it fully loaded, or less if you can, and then add water.
Good advice from Anemone. I would just add that 35 L and 7 kg should be plenty, even with a sleeping bag, especially in June.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Good advice from Anemone. I would just add that 35 L and 7 kg should be plenty, even with a sleeping bag, especially in June.
My duvet from costco comes in a bag that does. Ot compress all that much, so it takes up space, even if it is super light, which is why I need a 40l. Plus, one needs room in the bag to being back home a bottle of orujo and a few bars of turron ;).

Hello everyone,
Many thanks, Angela
I am starting end May/Beginning June as well without training. I am trusting my body/mind/spirit together will handle this with a little awareness. I am an ex runner too, current avid hiker, but no distance training either. Various hip/back issues in the past but that all seems insignificant to me for this.... everyone has something! Good luck and maybe our paths will cross....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Angelab,

On the time you have ledt before your walk I would focus on three things, in this order: your back, the shoes you will use to walk in and your back pack.

I urge you to visit osteopath, accupuncturist, massage therapist, someone, to help alleviate your back pain. And then be careful when putting yourp pack on and talking it off; ask for help from a fellow pilgrim if you need to. I suffer from a mild scoliosis and every once ina while my back blocks so I am extra careful with my pack. I also carry antiinflammatories and a muscle relaxant. Perhaps you can also visit a doctor in London and see what he or she recommends, unless you already have a working cocktail, like I do. Both antiinflammatories and muscle relaxants are available over the counter in Spain.

Then the shoes. Lots and lots of discussion about what is "best" here on the forum: boots, waterproof or not, sandals, trail runners.... No matter what the model, type, look, make sure you walk in them for a good while prior to heading out to ensure they do not cause you pain and are broken in if they need to be broken in.

Backpack. 35 liters or so should be enough if you are not carrying a sleeping bag. Its weight is key: the lighter the better, and it should be comfy and well adjusted on your back, especially if your back is iffy. Find a store that will help you adjust it properly. Aim for 7kg with it fully loaded, or less if you can, and then add water. If back is still iffy, a bladder may be the way to go so tHe weight is centered all the time

And the. For clothes: quickdry and light is the way to go.

And off you go! Enjoy every step!
Really useful! Thanks so much. Have seen acupuncturist already. Will see her twice more. Possibly osteopath. Booked my flight today...so no turning back :)

Hello Angelab, I'll be two days behind you. Arrive at Beilari on the 7 June and begin walking on the 8th. My daughter and neice will be joining me this year. Maybe we'll see you along the way.
Buen Camino. We leave Texas on 6/6.

Hello Angelab, I'll be two days behind you. Arrive at Beilari on the 7 June and begin walking on the 8th. My daughter and neice will be joining me this year. Maybe we'll see you along the way.
Buen Camino. We leave Texas on 6/6.
A slight change to my plan as I am spending 2 nights at Beilari so begin my walk 7th and 1 night at Refuge Orisson. I look forward to meeting you, your daughter and niece.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back