• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

7 days Irun to Bilbao and Guggenheim, eliminate a stage?

Howzer48

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte
I had planned on ten days in June to walk from Irun to Bilbao but now have an absolute maximum of seven. I fear not having enough time to enjoy myself and to explore San Sebastien, Bilbao and the Guggenheim before flying out early on the eighth day. Is there a less scenic stage that could be eliminated to allow a little more leisure? I arrive in Irun late in the afternoon before the first day. Will that allow time to explore San Sebastián? I appreciate any advice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don’t hang me, but I thought the Guggenheim in Bilbao was fantastic...BUT ONLY FROM THE OUTSIDE! Lackluster exhibits while we were there and crowded, but the sculpture outside was wonderful (especially in the evening). I’d skip spending a day in Bilbao rather than one walking, knowing that I can spend the evening wandering the city after arriving there earlier in the day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don’t hang me, but I thought the Guggenheim in Bilbao was fantastic...BUT ONLY FROM THE OUTSIDE! Lackluster exhibits while we were there and crowded, but the sculpture outside was wonderful (especially in the evening). I’d skip spending a day in Bilbao rather than one walking, knowing that I can spend the evening wandering the city after arriving there earlier in the day.
I agree that once you have seen the outside, that is a big part of the museum. We had visited the three big art musums in Madrid and the exhibits inside the Guggenheim pale in comparison. We enjoyed the car exhibit there last summer, but that was pretty much an hour of time and then we were done.

Sure to be many ways of seeing this, but for me and many people I met en route, 6 days was the actual walking time from Irun to Bilbao. Some pretty hard days, but no problem even for this old man. The most scenic part was across the mountain between Irun and San Sebastian. Agree with those who thought Guggenheim wasn't worth the trip, on the inside, but that is easy to say for us who have been inside. Enjoy your trip.

Thank you for the great responses and apologies for not viewing DaveJ's 2022 comments before posting. Based on this I'll just "follow the Camino" from Irun to Bilbao.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is fantastic to walk around the Guggenheim on both sides of the river and see it from the bridge. If you want to go inside -- the Cathedral de Santiago or the Basilica of Begona In Casa Vieja Bilbao are better alternatives. It is tough to walk from Irun over the mountain to Pasaia-Donebane but on a clear day, worth it. Buen Camino

The Guggenheim stays open to 7:00pm most days and most people only visit for about an hour. As others have said, the architecture is the big draw for the Guggenheim and the collection is secondary. while It looks huge from the outside, the actual area available to exhibit art isn’t that large, especially if you subtract the space used for Richard Serra’s monumental “Matter of Time.”

i would suggest you visit their website to get a feel for their collection and see if it really interests you. They have a decent range of artists in the collection, but the only works that stood out on my visit were El Anatsu’s “Rising Sea, Jenny Holzer’s “Installation for Bilbao and Serra’s “Matter of Time,” the rest of the works inside were rather average works for the artists.

Their website will also inform you of what exhibitions they will have in June. On June 27th they open a new Yayoi Kusama exhibition that should be interesting, but it no doubt swell the crowd for the first couple of weeks If not longer.

If you are going to the Guggenheim because you really enjoy art as opposed to going because you have heard it is a must see, then you should have a good visit. In that case I would also recommend visiting the nearby Bellas Artes de Bilbao.

Three pieces of art that can be viewed from the outside along the riverside that most visitors miss are Yves Klein’s “Fire Fountain” which operates from about 19:30 pm to 20:30pm, Fujiko Nakaya’s “Fog Sculpture, #08025 (F.O.G.) which operates on the hour from 10:00 to 20:00 and Jenny Holzer’s “Like Beauty in Flames” which requires downloading an app and a good wireless connection.

Thanks @Vacajoe, you saved me from having to type the same thing. However, when viewing the outside be sure you get to see "Puppy" by Jeff Koons. When we were at the Guggenheim there was a whole floor of Koon's work. The only thing worth seeing was Puppy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Guggenheim stays open to 7:00pm most days and most people only visit for about an hour. As others have said, the architecture is the big draw for the Guggenheim and the collection is secondary. while It looks huge from the outside, the actual area available to exhibit art isn’t that large, especially if you subtract the space used for Richard Serra’s monumental “Matter of Time.”

i would suggest you visit their website to get a feel for their collection and see if it really interests you. They have a decent range of artists in the collection, but the only works that stood out on my visit were El Anatsu’s “Rising Sea, Jenny Holzer’s “Installation for Bilbao and Serra’s “Matter of Time,” the rest of the works inside were rather average works for the artists.

Their website will also inform you of what exhibitions they will have in June. On June 27th they open a new Yayoi Kusama exhibition that should be interesting, but it no doubt swell the crowd for the first couple of weeks If not longer.

If you are going to the Guggenheim because you really enjoy art as opposed to going because you have heard it is a must see, then you should have a good visit. In that case I would also recommend visiting the nearby Bellas Artes de Bilbao.

Three pieces of art that can be viewed from the outside along the riverside that most visitors miss are Yves Klein’s “Fire Fountain” which operates from about 19:30 pm to 20:30pm, Fujiko Nakaya’s “Fog Sculpture, #08025 (F.O.G.) which operates on the hour from 10:00 to 20:00 and Jenny Holzer’s “Like Beauty in Flames” which requires downloading an app and a good wireless connection.
Just what I needed to read! I loved Serra's installation at LACMA before they condensed it.The "Bellas Artes" is more to my Old Masters-loving taste and they're open until 8:00!

“Puppy” was simply scaffolding and wire when we arrived in October as its flowers get replaced seasonally! 😂. The fire sculpture, however, was great as is the one actually IN the river that comes and goes with the tide.

Definitely check out the “moving bridge” in Portugalette if you get a chance, as well as the church and small plaza there. Great history. The food market was okay, having been converted to a more modern, tourist restaurant destination. My favorite memory was taking in a jam session in Spanish at an Irish bar near the museum. THAT’S the magic of travel!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Gronze has 7 stages from Irun to Bilbao. If I had to eliminate a stage I would start walking from San Sebastián. Not because it's not a beautiful section, but because I'm in favor of an uninterrupted walk.
Yes, check Gronze, it's great. Yes, it's much better to do an uninterrupted walk. But nooo, don't miss off that first stage Irun-San Seb - it's one of the all-time greats with a water crossing and hike over the epic Basque mountain, Jaizkibel.
Sure to be many ways of seeing this, but for me and many people I met en route, 6 days was the actual walking time from Irun to Bilbao.
I agree.
Thank you for the great responses and apologies for not viewing DaveJ's 2022 comments before posting. Based on this I'll just "follow the Camino" from Irun to Bilbao.
Start in Irun, and you'll probably get to Bilbao in 7 days. But don't stress if you find it's more demanding than you anticipated. If necessary you can take the bus from Gernika. Or as happened when I did it, the pilgrim numbers suddenly thinned out after Lezama because there were lots of tempting bus stops on the main road that you walk along. And for a while at least it wasn't that interesting. However if you do hang on in there and schlep up the big hill, you get a great view looking down on Bilbao as your reward :)

Yes, check Gronze, it's great. Yes, it's much better to do an uninterrupted walk. But nooo, don't miss off that first stage Irun-San Seb - it's one of the all-time greats with a water crossing and hike over the epic Basque mountain, Jaizkibel.
Okay. You are right. Start from Irun, then bus into Bilbao if you run short on time.

I agree - outside is best - the exhibits were very disappointing. But every time I am in Bilbao - I take the time to get a bus to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe. So Spectacular. The Walk and the views. Worth the few hour trip!

Kathy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
trecile is correct:
Start from Irun, then bus into Bilbao if you run short on time.

This is a brilliant plan.

I agree that the outside of the Guggenheim is more spectacular. Most of the artwork inside did not make a lasting impression on me with one big exemption that made the visit in the end very worthwhile. The room with the big steel plates of Richard Senna was impressive, walking in the structures was not only an esthetic experience but also a physical one

Agree with Vacajoe about the Guggenheim, unless there is special exhibit by an artist you are interested in seeing, the building’s exterior is the exhibit. Start in SS is a good idea and spend some extra time there doing a tapas crawl.
I went out of my way to see an Egon Shiele exhibit at the Guggenheim a few years ago and then visited the exhibit that features rolls of steel in sort of maze which gives you an impression of how important the steel industry was to the region and how the implementation of steel hulls to wooden ships contributed to the seafaring skills of the Basque whalers and fishermen.
A must read about the region is one of Mark Kurlansky's books Cod to get appreciation for the far flung ventures of Basque sailors, the other is his book The Basque History of the World.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I agree - outside is best - the exhibits were very disappointing. But every time I am in Bilbao - I take the time to get a bus to San Juan de Gaztelugatxe. So Spectacular. The Walk and the views. Worth the few hour trip!

Kathy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Unless you are walking some unmarked alternatives (which do exist), I would suggest you take the bus from Larrabetzu to Bilbao. Except for around 3-4 km, you will be walking on asfalt/concrete the whole time.

Just wanted to add that this year there will be :

Young Picasso in Paris

May 12, 2023–August 6, 2023

That appears to be at the Guggenheim in NYC
@isawtman is right, that's the link to the Guggenheim museum in New York.

Here's a link to Exhibitions at the Guggenheim in Bilbao

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Back to the original question. After reviewing gronze it appears that
all of the stages are under 16 miles a day. And the seventh day
going into Bilbao is only 7 miles. I'm not sure what your hiking
experience is, so I don't know for sure if you can do it. But, I'm 64
and I think I would be able to do it. I did the Camino Frances in
30 days

@isawtman is right, that's the link to the Guggenheim museum in New York.

Here's a link to Exhibitions at the Guggenheim in Bilbao

HAHAHA!!!
I guess I needed another coffee:)
Close but no cigar....

Back to the original question. After reviewing gronze it appears that
all of the stages are under 16 miles a day. And the seventh day
going into Bilbao is only 7 miles. I'm not sure what your hiking
experience is, so I don't know for sure if you can do it. But, I'm 64
and I think I would be able to do it. I did the Camino Frances in
30 days
Thanks for your perspective. I may be in my 70's but with a break for lunch and coffee it seems quite doable.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Unless you are walking some unmarked alternatives (which do exist), I would suggest you take the bus from Larrabetzu to Bilbao. Except for around 3-4 km, you will be walking on asfalt/concrete the whole time.
The bus seems like a terrific option.

yes, the bus does seem like a terrific option in case something happens and
she doesn't make it all the way to Bilbao. She may simply decide to lay on a
beach for a day. It's good to have options so you can do whatever you want.

I had planned on ten days in June to walk from Irun to Bilbao but now have an absolute maximum of seven. I fear not having enough time to enjoy myself and to explore San Sebastien, Bilbao and the Guggenheim before flying out early on the eighth day. Is there a less scenic stage that could be eliminated to allow a little more leisure? I arrive in Irun late in the afternoon before the first day. Will that allow time to explore San Sebastián? I appreciate any advice.
Hey Howzer,
You've gotten plenty of good advice above but some stages are more easily combinable than others so I wanted to mention that I would also say it is 100% possible to do Irun to Bilbao in 6 days (I actually walked from Hendaye and managed it)

Here are the stages and distances I did. A few days were quite long (for the start of a camino) but the key was really being willing to take more breaks and arrive later in the day (3-5pm) if that's what I needed. If you want to spend time in San Sebastian, I would recommend getting out of Irun early (leave at sunrise, eat *before*, the first 45-90 minutes are urban/up wooded hills anyway so there's not much) and you should be in town by mid-afternoon (incl. lunch in Donebane/Pasaie), giving you 4-6 hours in S.S. after arrival and before bedtime. Whatever you do, don't miss that absolutely gorgeous first stage - rather take the bus on the way into Bilbao if time gets short.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 14.20.28.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-12 at 14.20.28.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 6
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have done the del Norte 4 times and can only underline much of what has been said before. I would not miss the first day from Irun although I would not continue to St Sebastian the first day (having done it once). Pasaia is a beautiful little village on the inlet with a few good restaurants and a wonderful plaza to rest and contemplate the universe including how the universe might have unfolded if Lafayette had stayed at the restaurants The stretch from Deba to Guernica is reminiscent of the best part of alpine valleys but with sidra natural. Should time be pressing, bus from Guernica or Lezama.

I am a longtime evangelist for the Bellas Artes over the Guggenheim for contents, but the Guggenheim is arguably one of the finest buildings of the 20th century and speaks of the industrial and seafaring nature of Bilbao and the Basque country. Unless, as others suggest, there is an exhibition which intrigues you, just bask inthe building and head to the Bellas Artes for the art, from which you will learn much about Spain and the Basque country. On the east side of the river, municipal buses will take you to a few local beaches for further basking.

Last edited:
I suggest cutting some of the last day into bilbao not the prettiest lots of road walking take the pressure off, arrive by bus... Eat all the tapas and think back on a beautiful few days walking. Bear in mind you will be tired. Definitely doable but some serious walking in the first few days. I was pooped after the first day unfortunately didnt have much time to enjoy san sebastian but the scenery is great 1st week of norte ever changing and always inspiring ... You'll have a great time 😊

I have done the del Norte 4 times and can only underline much of what has been said before. I would not miss the first day from Irun although I would not continue to St Sebastian the first day (having done it once). Pasaia is a beautiful little village on the inlet with a few good restaurants and a wonderful plaza to rest and contemplate the universe including how the universe might have unfolded if Lafayette had stayed at the restaurants The stretch from Deba to Guernica is reminiscent of the best part of alpine valleys but with sidra natural. Should time be pressing, bus from Guernica or Lezama.

I love this - I have done it twice - my first time stopping in Pasaia at the hostel there, this is my prefered route.

Bussing from Guernica and spending the last days in Bilbao and take the train to Portugalete for lunch.
So amazing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back