• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

7 days on Camino Del Norte

Walsh Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012, 2014, Norte/Primitivo 2017, 2022
My friend and I (57 and 65) will have about a month to walk mid June to mid July. We were considering San Salvador and Primitivo, but this is our first walk (I have biked the Frances). Neither of us are interested in the Frances but since she has not had the Santiago experience we are willing to include the Frances from Melide.

If we wanted to start with about 100 km on the Norte and then bus to Oviedo for the Primitivo, what section would be best? My thought was Irun to Gerniko, but I would like your suggestions. We are most like going to stay in pensions rather than albergues.

Buen Camino,
Judy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I agrre, Irun to Guernika is beautiful. Challenging, but since you are considering the Salvador and Norte I don't think that will be an issue. Then bus to Bilbao, spend a day visiting and catch transport to Leon to start the Salvador.

Portugalete to Santander is also a nice section, and lots of transport options to Leon.

some people find the first step a bit hilly (is that a word?o_O)...you might look at elevation tables and see how that would work especially for your first-time friend...maybe start a bit further west, like San Sebastian or Zarautz, which I think (but bad memory) may be a more level walk for a bit. I liked the sections with beaches more. but also there's the history and art in Guernica and Bilbao... so things to consider in choosing a small section
edit: sorry, didn't give the link...you may already know this site from your previous camino(s) but
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/
click on each step to see the elevations for the walk

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.