• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

7 days walking to Santiago

seana77

Hi,

my father in law and I are planning to walk approx. 18-20 miles a day for a week in late April. We are flying into Biarritz. Can you recommend where we could begin and is it easy to get to from Biarritz? Was thinking of starting near El Acebo? Many thanks for any help.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome to the Forum and camino.
Easter week is busy because lots of spaniards walk for the weekend, or whole week at Easter.
It isn't impossibly busy... You can find space in an albergue every night, but it could be crowded.
If you like people and are laid back, Easter week can be a lot of fun because some pilgrims like to party.

I recommend starting in Saint Jean Pied du Port. You can take the transit bus or a taxi to Bayonne train station, and then the Train to SJPP.

You will be able to walk to Viana or Logrono in 7 days. You will pass some special places and nice towns along the way. Pamplona, Eunate, Puente la Reina, Estella...

The first day walking out of SJPP is challenging because you walk through a mountain pass to Roncesvalles. Pilgrims talk about their experience on this first day all the way to Santiago. There are two routes from SJPP to Roncesvalles. The Napoleon route is beautiful, but can be dangerous if its snowing or foggy. Listen to the people in SJPP's advice about walking it that day. The other route mostly follows the road, and has the town of Valcarlos about half way. It is a good alternative if the conditions are less than ideal.
Pour through the many discussions on this forum. They will inform you, excite you, and prepare you for a good experience.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you want to finish in Santiago, it is much more convenient to fly into Santiago and bus or Taxi out to your starting point.

Biarritz is in France, near Saint Jean pied du port, where many pilgrims begin a 780 km (500 mile) camino. It is 400 miles from where you want to be.

Here are a couple of possible itineraries based on a week that end in Santiago and qualify you for the Compostela, the completion certificate.

If you have just 7 days in a row it could go like this:
Day 1 Travel Santiago to Sarria
Day 2 to 5, Walk to Santiago
Day 6, Hang out in Santiago
Day 7, Fly from Santiago.

If you have 9 days in a row:
Day 1 - travel Santiago to O'cebreiro
Day 2 to 8 - walk 7 days to Santiago
Day 9 - Fly home from Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back