• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

7 Ways To Eliminate Foot Pain While Hiking

PastorCat

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2013
Hello pilgrims!

Mike here. I'm a Camino vet. Walked SJPdP to Santiago in 37 days, August to September, 2014. Even though the experience included a 9hr walk through a driving rain storm, pneumonia, a hospital visit, a hernia rupture, and a three day "recuperating delay," the Camino was the best 37 days of my life. Some of the friends, and all of the memories, will surely last a lifetime.

Though there were many challenges during the trip, the two things I didn't have to deal with were blisters and excessive foot pain. I found friends that had both though and for those that did, the Camino was considerably more difficult.

While prepping for and walking the Camino I followed the following recommendations from Erik Asorson (aka Erik the Black), a long distance backpacker, cartographer and author of Pocket-Sized Maps and Atlases. A big thanks to him for committing these ideas to print.

#1: Carry Lightweight Backpacking Gear
This is the most obvious suggestion, but also the most important. Every step you take sends a tiny jolt through your feet that is magnified by the weight of your backpack and all your gear. Over the course of a long backpacking trip this can lead to big-time foot pain and injuries like: blisters, shin splints, heel spurs and plantar fasciitis. Reducing your gear weight means less impact on your feet and less foot pain.

#2: Wear Lightweight, Breathable Shoes (That Fit)
The best shoes for lightweight backpacking are trail-runners, cross-trainers and lightweight boots. When choosing a hiking shoe look for one that is lightweight, breathable, flexible and (most importantly) fits your foot. Traditional heavy leather boots are not good footwear because they are stiff and abrasive to the feet. Buy your shoes one size larger than you would normally wear to make room for foot swelling, which can happen on longer hikes.

#3: Wear Socks That Provide Enough Cushion (But Not So Thick They Overheat Your Feet)
When choosing hiking socks you want a combination of cushion and breathability. Too thin and they won’t provide enough protection from abrasion and impact against your shoes. Too thick and your feet will sweat like a sauna. Most backpackers I know wear lightweight hiking socks or running socks made from merino wool (and sometimes synthetic materials like nylon, Coolmax or blends).

#4: Replace The Cheap Insoles That Come With Your Hiking Shoes With High Quality Insoles
Unfortunately, most hiking shoes come with cheap foam insoles. They don’t provide enough arch support or shock absorption and usually end up flat as a pancake within a few hundred miles. So you’ll need to cough up another $35 or so for some high quality replacements. The good news is that aftermarket insoles typically outlast the shoes they go in, so when you replace your shoes after 800 miles you can keep on using the insoles.

#5: Take Frequent Rest Breaks, Remove Your Shoes And Elevate Your Feet
When hiking in hot weather, uneven terrain, or over long distances your feet will probably tend to swell and throb some. This happens when blood flows to your feet in response to the microscopic injuries that occur every time you slam them into the ground. To counteract this effect I like to take frequent “shoes off, feet up” rest breaks.

The following schedule allows me to cover 20 miles in about ten hours. If I need to do more miles I just keep repeating the same pattern of hiking and resting:

2.5 miles (15 minute feet break)
2.5 miles (45 minute morning snack break)
2.5 miles (1.5 hour lunch break)
2.5 miles (45 minute afternoon snack break)
2.5 miles (dinner and camp)

I remove my shoes and socks, elevate my feet and rest them on my pack at every break. This gives them a chance to air out and for the blood to drain back into my legs and relieve any swelling. Plus it feels really good
icon_smile.gif

#6: Clean Your Feet Often (And Dunk Them In Creeks or Shower Them With A Pint Of Drinking Water Whenever Possible)
Nothing in the world feels better on swollen, achy feet than getting dunked in a nice cold water! The flowing water massages your tootsies, increases circulation, numbs the pain, reduces inflammation and makes everything feel good for a little while.

dirty-feet.jpg

My dirty dogs

As an added benefit, it cleans off the abrasive grime (dirt + sweat) that tends to accumulate on your feet as an unfortunate side-effect of wearing breathable shoes with lots of mesh panels.

Too bad there is not always a good creek available. But it’s still a good idea to clean your feet frequently. When there is no convenient water source nearby I use a moistened bandana to wipe off the grime.

Keeping your feet clean and smooth and free of gunk goes a long way toward preventing hot spots and blisters because it eliminates a big source of friction between your feet and socks (dirt).

#7: Be Proactive About Fixing “Hot Spots” (Before They Develop Into Blisters)
If you follow the first six suggestions in this list: carry lightweight gear, wear good shoes, socks and insoles, take frequent rest breaks and keep your feet clean you will have eliminated most of the sources of friction that cause blisters. But sometimes they are unavoidable, and that’s when you need the “McGuyver” of hiking remedies: duct tape.

There are commercial blister bandages (like moleskin, second skin, etc.) but none of them work as well as duct tape. The beauty of duct tape is that it’s slippery on the outside and super-sticky on the inside. Apply it to a hot spot on your foot and it will stick for a long time, even with sweaty feet, while the slick outside surface glides smoothly against whatever your foot was rubbing on (reducing friction).

The key is to apply duct tape as soon as you start feeling that tell-tale tingle of a hot spot. DO NOT put it off until your next planned break. Stop, drop and tape immediately.

Despite your best efforts you may still develop a blister. Here is the best way I know to fix them: Wait until you get to camp (don’t mess with it while you still got walking to do). Run a threaded, sterilized needle through one end of the blister and out the other side, leaving the thread in place overnight. As you sleep the goop will leach out along the thread, slowly draining the blister, and in the morning it will resemble a flat, dry, hard callous.

Seal the ex-blister with Liquid Bandage and duct tape or band-aid over it. If possible, identify and eliminate the source of friction that caused the blister in the first place, so it doesn’t cause any further aggravation.

LAST RESORT: Take Ibuprofen (“Vitamin I”)
Finally, if nothing else works, you can always turn to drugs. “Vitamin I” is the pet name given to ibuprofen by hikers (because it is such a commonly used anti-inflammatory and anti-pain medicine on the trail). Drugs do not eliminate the source of the discomfort, but they can provide temporary relief by numbing the pain until you can find and fix the real problem.

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/12776/7-ways-to-eliminate-foot-pain/

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello pilgrims!

Mike here. I'm a Camino vet. Walked SJPdP to Santiago in 37 days, August to September, 2014. Even though the experience included a 9hr walk through a driving rain storm, pneumonia, a hospital visit, a hernia rupture, and a three day "recuperating delay," the Camino was the best 37 days of my life. Some of the friends, and all of the memories, will surely last a lifetime.

Though there were many challenges during the trip, the two things I didn't have to deal with were blisters and excessive foot pain. I found friends that had both though and for those that did, the Camino was considerably more difficult.

While prepping for and walking the Camino I followed the following recommendations from Erik Asorson (aka Erik the Black), a long distance backpacker, cartographer and author of Pocket-Sized Maps and Atlases. A big thanks to him for committing these ideas to print.

#1: Carry Lightweight Backpacking Gear
This is the most obvious suggestion, but also the most important. Every step you take sends a tiny jolt through your feet that is magnified by the weight of your backpack and all your gear. Over the course of a long backpacking trip this can lead to big-time foot pain and injuries like: blisters, shin splints, heel spurs and plantar fasciitis. Reducing your gear weight means less impact on your feet and less foot pain.

#2: Wear Lightweight, Breathable Shoes (That Fit)
The best shoes for lightweight backpacking are trail-runners, cross-trainers and lightweight boots. When choosing a hiking shoe look for one that is lightweight, breathable, flexible and (most importantly) fits your foot. Traditional heavy leather boots are not good footwear because they are stiff and abrasive to the feet. Buy your shoes one size larger than you would normally wear to make room for foot swelling, which can happen on longer hikes.

#3: Wear Socks That Provide Enough Cushion (But Not So Thick They Overheat Your Feet)
When choosing hiking socks you want a combination of cushion and breathability. Too thin and they won’t provide enough protection from abrasion and impact against your shoes. Too thick and your feet will sweat like a sauna. Most backpackers I know wear lightweight hiking socks or running socks made from merino wool (and sometimes synthetic materials like nylon, Coolmax or blends).

#4: Replace The Cheap Insoles That Come With Your Hiking Shoes With High Quality Insoles
Unfortunately, most hiking shoes come with cheap foam insoles. They don’t provide enough arch support or shock absorption and usually end up flat as a pancake within a few hundred miles. So you’ll need to cough up another $35 or so for some high quality replacements. The good news is that aftermarket insoles typically outlast the shoes they go in, so when you replace your shoes after 800 miles you can keep on using the insoles.

#5: Take Frequent Rest Breaks, Remove Your Shoes And Elevate Your Feet
When hiking in hot weather, uneven terrain, or over long distances your feet will probably tend to swell and throb some. This happens when blood flows to your feet in response to the microscopic injuries that occur every time you slam them into the ground. To counteract this effect I like to take frequent “shoes off, feet up” rest breaks.

The following schedule allows me to cover 20 miles in about ten hours. If I need to do more miles I just keep repeating the same pattern of hiking and resting:

2.5 miles (45 minute morning snack break)
2.5 miles (1.5 hour lunch break)
2.5 miles (45 minute afternoon snack break)
2.5 miles (dinner and camp)

I remove my shoes and socks, elevate my feet and rest them on my pack at every break. This gives them a chance to air out and for the blood to drain back into my legs and relieve any swelling. Plus it feels really good
icon_smile.gif

#6: Clean Your Feet Often (And Dunk Them In Creeks or Shower Them With A Pint Of Drinking Water Whenever Possible)
Nothing in the world feels better on swollen, achy feet than getting dunked in a nice cold water! The flowing water massages your tootsies, increases circulation, numbs the pain, reduces inflammation and makes everything feel good for a little while.

dirty-feet.jpg

My dirty dogs

As an added benefit, it cleans off the abrasive grime (dirt + sweat) that tends to accumulate on your feet as an unfortunate side-effect of wearing breathable shoes with lots of mesh panels.

Too bad there is not always a good creek available. But it’s still a good idea to clean your feet frequently. When there is no convenient water source nearby I use a moistened bandana to wipe off the grime.

Keeping your feet clean and smooth and free of gunk goes a long way toward preventing hot spots and blisters because it eliminates a big source of friction between your feet and socks (dirt).

#7: Be Proactive About Fixing “Hot Spots” (Before They Develop Into Blisters)
If you follow the first six suggestions in this list: carry lightweight gear, wear good shoes, socks and insoles, take frequent rest breaks and keep your feet clean you will have eliminated most of the sources of friction that cause blisters. But sometimes they are unavoidable, and that’s when you need the “McGuyver” of hiking remedies: duct tape.

There are commercial blister bandages (like moleskin, second skin, etc.) but none of them work as well as duct tape. The beauty of duct tape is that it’s slippery on the outside and super-sticky on the inside. Apply it to a hot spot on your foot and it will stick for a long time, even with sweaty feet, while the slick outside surface glides smoothly against whatever your foot was rubbing on (reducing friction).

The key is to apply duct tape as soon as you start feeling that tell-tale tingle of a hot spot. DO NOT put it off until your next planned break. Stop, drop and tape immediately.

Despite your best efforts you may still develop a blister. Here is the best way I know to fix them: Wait until you get to camp (don’t mess with it while you still got walking to do). Run a threaded, sterilized needle through one end of the blister and out the other side, leaving the thread in place overnight. As you sleep the goop will leach out along the thread, slowly draining the blister, and in the morning it will resemble a flat, dry, hard callous.

Seal the ex-blister with Liquid Bandage and duct tape or band-aid over it. If possible, identify and eliminate the source of friction that caused the blister in the first place, so it doesn’t cause any further aggravation.

LAST RESORT: Take Ibuprofen (“Vitamin I”)
Finally, if nothing else works, you can always turn to drugs. “Vitamin I” is the pet name given to ibuprofen by hikers (because it is such a commonly used anti-inflammatory and anti-pain medicine on the trail). Drugs do not eliminate the source of the discomfort, but they can provide temporary relief by numbing the pain until you can find and fix the real problem.

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/12776/7-ways-to-eliminate-foot-pain/
Very well said, of course the tough to maintain being the break schedule.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Seal the ex-blister with Liquid Bandage and duct tape or band-aid over it. If possible, identify and eliminate the source of friction that caused the blister in the first place, so it doesn’t cause any further aggravation. ...

No, it is not the best way to treat a blister, it is a very risky (prone to infections) way. As the liquid drains out overnight, so the germs enter the blister via the thread which is very much like a rope ladder to them. Plus if you are then to seal the blister with Liquid Bandage and duct tape :eek: you seal the germs in. And if the blister grows again, or the infection develops and you need to take the duct tape off, you will need a heck of luck not to pull the skin of your blister also off, which will leave you with an open wound on your foot.
Buen Camino, SY

No, it is not the best way to treat a blister, it is a very risky (prone to infections) way. As the liquid drains out overnight, so the germs enter the blister via the thread which is very much like a rope ladder to them. Plus if you are then to seal the blister with Liquid Bandage and duct tape :eek: you seal the germs in. And if the blister grows again, or the infection develops and you need to take the duct tape off, you will need a heck of luck not to pull the skin of your blister also off, which will leave you with an open wound on your foot.
Buen Camino, SY

Agree! - also, duct tape (we call it gaffer tape) - tends to roll back at the edges and stick to socks. I used to use it but no longer do because of this.

The whole thing with a blister is to clean, drain, flatten, anti-septic, cover, cushion - job done.

Hhmm .. if pilgrims really acted on most of these above, especially 4, 5, and 6 - I would have hardly any first aid to do at all!! :(:(;)

I see a lot of disagreement on the use of Compeed as well. I can say from experience - if you drain the blister appropriately, apply the Compeed patch and LEAVE IT ALONE until it falls off - you will have no more pain and the blister will be healed. During a 50-mile backpack trip with a 40 pound pack, hiking mostly on granite surface, my feet looked much like raw meat! (poorly fitting shoes -yes). I would not have been able to finish the trek without Compeed!
DyanTX

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nodding my head and agrees with SY.

This is the way I´ve learned to do it..

When you feel an emerging hotspot, STOP and put on a Compeed IMEDIATLY. (Make sure the skin is clean and dry, including your hands.)

NEVER ever puncture a blister! If the skin remains intact there is no way for any bacterias to enter your body and start an infektion.

If it´s to late and the blister already has ruptered, clean the area gently and make sure your feet is dry, then put on a Compeed. It really is as simpel as that.

Don´t forget to leave the Compeed on untill it loosens or falls of by it self.

Happy feet and good companions makes the way easier to walk :)

Buen Camino!

I go down the gaffer tape road, I know where I will get the blister so tape it before I walk, I know it's not for everyone but it works for me. In the past I have tried Compeed, but it doesn't seem to work for me, maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Anyway everyone to their own.
I'm not sure (from previous posts) that using cotton and thread on a blister is a good idea, my understanding is that, yes it can wick away the fluid, but it can also aid to infection.
I guess all seven tips are good, but just not for everyone.

The whole thing with a blister is to clean, drain, flatten, anti-septic, cover, cushion - job done.

Exactly. Sterilise a needle with alcohol wipe, also the blister site, pierce the blister with the sterilised needle but keep the skin otherwise intact, drain, cover for cleanliness, cushion.

Most importantly, find the cause of the blister and eliminate it. Try rock-tape and/or Engo patches.

If pain persists, then stop walking and take a day off.

I have had no success with Compeed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@Kanga...I agree entirely.
Compeed is expensive and there are cheaper alternatives to prevention where one predictably gets hot spots--I often use paper tape. And I could not do without omnifix--it's an adhesive dressing that you cut to size and leave on for several days running. A fellow peregrino who was a surgeon from OZ told me about it; it comes in a roll and you can get it in some farmacias along the way. I got mine in Burgos.

Compeed is expensive and there are cheaper alternatives to prevention where one predictably gets hot spots--I often use paper tape. And I could not do without omnifix--it's an adhesive dressing that you cut to size and leave on for several days running. A fellow peregrino who was a surgeon from OZ told me about it; it comes in a roll and you can get it in some farmacias along the way. I got mine in Burgos.

Idem here.
Compeed just does not work for me.

I agree about Compeed to this extent: it's not for use inside the botes. Especially not if you're walking in appx. 90F weather! The glue just melts and then they're useless. My thoughts on blisters: shoes need to fit, and need to fit the expanded foot. Socks need not to have shrunk into pinchiness. And then, clean with alcohol (AKA hand sanitizer gel) and then put gauze and adhesive tape over the area. Suffer through the nasty stickiness the tape will create in your socks over time, there is a lot of time at home later to try and get the adhesive that sweated through the tape out of your hiking socks. Compeed does remove the pain, but it's more for the blisters of "touristic" walking than for all day hiking. MHO, YMMV. And in 2015, a notably hot year I think, I did practice taking my botes off and airing my feet out when stopping for picnic lunches in the middle of the eucalyptus woodlots of Portugal. (Don't ask me about the cotton-blend thread used for serging the crotch seams of hiking pants and shorts in such hot weather. It was miserable!)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I thought that Compeed should only be used on fully formed blisters, not on hot spots to prevent them.

I was amazed that many people who were using compeed seemed to have neglected to read the enclosed directions. Worked great for us.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am a fan of Compeed on hotspots, amd it is now available in North America. I wait until they come on sale and stock up for my mext Camino. Not to be used on raw flesh as it would stick to it, and would also keep the infection in withought you being able to see it develop.

Now, those rest times. That would be nice, but would have me at the albergue around 8pm, leaving no time for clothes to dry in the sun before having to pack them up again the next day. But I have to admit that a bit of a rest goes a long way. Next time I will try 10 minutes rest stops before I feel I truly need them and see how that goes.

Thanks for these tips -- I am frequently amazed at the number of pilgrims who refuse to take their boots off at a rest because they are afraid their feet will swell and they won't be able to get them back in. This is so wrong!!! And dipping your feet in a stream or pond is another brilliant tip. I remember walking the Vdlp with a German man who would take his boots off but would never soak them in cold water, till I begged him to try it just once. He became a convert. It's important not to overdo it, though, and always make sure the feet have warmed up again before you start to walk on them.

And for all those who warn against cutting off the top skin on a blister because it causes a big risk of infection -- My simplistic non-medical mind tells me that if I cut off the top skin of a blister and cover and treat the wound, I'm treating it just like any other wound that tears off the top skin when it happens. Or is there something different about blisters? Think of all those childhood falls, lots of skin gets ripped off and we treat it just fine with antibacterial cream, dressing, etc. I may be missing something here but I always cut off the top of a blister, I am careful about caring for it, but I haven't seen that it poses any special dangers.

And for all those who warn against cutting off the top skin on a blister because it causes a big risk of infection -- My simplistic non-medical mind tells me that if I cut off the top skin of a blister and cover and treat the wound, I'm treating it just like any other wound that tears off the top skin when it happens. Or is there something different about blisters?

I met a nurse on the VdlP who did this every day after showering.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you pay attention to your feet and stop to address hot spots when you first feel them you should not get blisters.

Good shoes that fit and are broken in + Good socks + Some Vaseline on your feet each morning and each evening after my shower = no blisters.

Ultreya,
Joe

Gaffer tape and duct tape come in two very different configurations , it is not just a case of regional name differences .
It is important to know the difference , Some Duct tape is smooth plastic and flexible with no internal fabric matrix , typically it is a silvery grey colour and used ,not surprisingly by heating and air conditioning duct installers . Other versions are also reasonably smooth and flexible but are layered around a gauze internal matrix that can ball up and cause much grief on a foot or other part of your anatomy , this version comes in a variety of colours and is often used by '' lighting gaffers '' in the entertainment industry .
If you can , use the unreinforced version , much slipperier , more flexible , less likely to ball up .

I swear by Leukotape. It is super adhesive, breathable, and lasts for several days, even through wet conditions and showers. Superior to duct tape by far.

I wear it as a preventative, in a spot I know to be sensitive. If I feel a hotspot coming on elsewhere, taping will stop it in its tracks. If I were to get a blister (I don't ever anymore), I would still use the Leukotape after treating the blister and covering it with a bit of lambswool.

Leukotape is versatile - with a tiny square of gauze, it makes a long-lasting bandaid. It also works as a strapping tape - I tape my arches occasionally to address plantars faciitis.

Some tips: It requires scissors. Round the corners to discourage fraying/peeling. Apply to clean, dry areas - if not post shower, before bed, then at least use a little alcohol to prep area. Adhesive can bleed thru and stick to socks (this seems to be more of a problem the older your roll of tape is) so I always start a trip with a new roll and liberally powder the tape after applying, and a few times during the first couple of days it is on.

(FYI: I wear Drymax Lite Trail Running socks + Ahnu hiking shoes - super sturdy, lightweight, low-profile, breathable. Or Teva Terra-Fi Lite sandals.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.