Search 69,459 Camino Questions

70 people sleeping outside on the Camino Primitivo?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Looks like it's not only crowded on the Camino Frances! I was just looking at a blog Sil had given the link to and though there's not much detail, the author says

Where I'm headed they had 70 sleeping outside two nights ago. I'm hoping the 'english rain' will put off the crowds as I'll easily be the last to arrive there.

That was on his first day out of Oviedo, and the next day as well, he reports there was no space in the albergue.

I assume (and hope) this is just the summer crunch since I'm walking in October!
Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I´m pretty sure that was the Romeria crowd, a weeklong affair with donkey-carts, saints´images, and music , organized up there that time of year by Don Blas, the sainted priest-hospitalero from Fuenterroble de Salvatierra on the via de la Plata.

Reb.

Hello Laurie and Rebekah, I had to just smile a bit thinking of Don Blas and all his friends from Fuenteroble. :D There a few photos in the refugio there taken on this annual outing. There is a saint's name involved or is it Maria Vergine? It looks as though we will be starting on the Camino de Madrid on or about the 10th of October.

All the best,

Kevin and Kari

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Kevin, good to hear from a fellow FOB (Friend O Blas)...

For a couple of years we looked after the place in Fuenterroble while he went up and Romeria-ed, but we never joined in the festivities ourselves. Fuenterroble is a readymade sitcom. We almost settled in there instead of here (site of our very own sitcom.) We are right on the end of the Camino de Madrid. Stop in and see us when you get up here, OK?

Rebekah

Hello Rebekah lovely to hear from another Don Blas fan. The evening at Fuenteroble was magic. They had two cooks who had served in the Polish army and the hospitalero was a Spanish-speaking Australian anthropologist called Natasha "tho everyone knew her as Stacey" To top it all off we ate with about a dozen French people who were on an annual trans-bagasje trip to Salamanca.
Don Blas sat about halfway down the table beaming at everyone after blessing our food, the camino, and everyone!
We were wondering about calling in to Moratinos for which many thanks, but did you mention something about being out walking yourself at that time?
Best from,
Kevin and Kari

Re: Travelling the Camino from Aug. 24th to October 2nd 2009...

leaving lots of time for socialization!!

First of all, I would like to thank all the people who have posted under the various topics. Your wealth of information has been invaluable to me as I plan .... and dream "my Camino". It would seem that from the posting on this section that the at end of August there is a festival and that acquiring accommodation during this time could be a challange. Is this correct? Will there be any (other) challanges in walking the Camino during this time period? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I have not booked my flight yet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back