• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

79 years young, 17 caminos and counting...

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
I discovered this gentlemen a few years ago. Back in 2008, Francisco Javier San Vicente García, at 72 years old had just completed his 12th trip to the city of Santiago de Compostela.

By 2014, at age 78, he had walked a total of 22,000 km, and completed 17 caminos.

His record so far includes the camino Frances route four times by way of Roncesvalles; two from the Alto de Somport (Huesca Pyrenees); and once from Irun (Northern Route), the Portuguese way from Lisbon; Ruta de la Plata from Seville; and one each from Tortosa, Valencia, Barcelona, Le Puy (France) and most recently Madrid. ( I believe I spotted him in one of the main squares in Madrid).

Along with these routes, he also walked two very long distance routes; one from Paris (2,050 kilometres) and the other from Rome (2,750 kilometres), the latter done in 74 days.

This year he returns in May to walk the Frances route again and the camino of St. Ignatius Loyola Shrine to Barcelona.

To learn more please check out the following link:

http://www.cm-gazteiz.com/es/ficha.php?idficha=598

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 23
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great attitude to life.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can take absolute hope from this
People can still amaze and inspirationally challenge the world
May he be blessed...
I can only hope to be blessed,to meet a man like this!

Hope he writes on his experiences and reasons ... what great reading that would be

Last edited:
I have a friend who's 86 who has walked a Camino each year since the age of 70. Several from home (south of Paris) and the shortest was the Camino from Madrid.
Amazing character.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Let's see, if I keep walking every year for the next 10 years I will be 79 years old and have 15 Camino notches in my belt. Shucks, I'm two short of his record and I won't even be close to the number of k's AJ has logged.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back