• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

8 days in, thoughts on gear

Sandcruiser

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2023
I've only done a bit more than a week, but here are some things I wish I'd seen while prepping:

1) briefs. I prefer boxer briefs at home, but after talking to some ladies in my camino family about underwear..... I grabbed a pair of briefs at decathlon in Pamplona.

They are lighter and dry much faster than boxer briefs. Pack smaller too. For walking they seem to work just fine. Try em out. Save space/weight and dry faster.

2) sun sleeves
I have a pair from cycling. They're great. Basically a very thin nylon stocking for your arms. They're cooler than sunshine (upf 50), and warmer for morning starts. Makes all your short-sleeve tshirts into longsleeve (sorta).

3) shade hat.
I have a ballcap... It's ok.
I'm looking to buy a straw hat for more shade on my ears.

4) comfy pants
I brought some slow-dry mostly cotton khakis for evening. I am very happy with this choice. Being comfy after walking all day is important. I haven't washed them yet (mostly using at night they're clean enough).... I did wear them all over Pamplona on a rest day and felt less like a pilgrim standout. <-- Purely ego, I know. Walking without the swish swish of nylon is pleasant to me.

5) one of my merino tshirts has a collar. Feels more appropriate in a Spanish bar vs a tshirt (few locals wear tshirts after about 20yrs old) adds.... A few grams

6) i brought different styles of socks. Each pair fits a little different. I think this helps my feet stay healthy but does require an extra minute each morning to readjust my laces.

7) packing light is great, but if you can add a day or two, you can pack a few small luxuries and just walk a little slower..... I'm at about 7kg (before water) and just added an umbrella because its better for sun and easier vs. a jacket for lighter rain. Maybe the added weight means I take 41 days instead of 40.... Ok. I can do that. If you must hit a deadline, ultralight is useful.... But I did 28km today without issues (even w the umbrella!)

Buen camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I brought merino briefs and loved them. I prefer the Icebreaker over SmartWool for the texture but both were comfortable, moisture wicking, no seams and quick drying.

I wore a merino shift style dress in the afternoons. As you said, ego lol I wanted to be comfortable without anything pinching me. I did buy a pair of hiking pants in Leon as there were many afternoons where it was very chilly (late September). I have a hiking skirt and a hiking dress and I am still considering whether both will be coming with me this year or just one.

Being comfortable is incredibly important and that extends to our emotional comfort as much as our physical comfort. Especially on a long Camino where we are walking long distances and away from home.

Buen Camino!

Never wear t-shirts at home and didn't on the Camino either. Had 2 cotton blouses, one long sleeve, one half-sleeve, and long sleeve jersey shirt to wear underneath on chilly mornings. (it was a constant 2° every morning for weeks this past April and May) The blouses wash and dry easily and look a tad nicer than a t-shirt.
Wore a pair of polyester pants that were loose and comfy, and that also washed and dried quickly and merino leggings for evenings.
That is all the clothing I had, unless you count my nightgown, 3 panties, 3 socks, 2 nylon knee highs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've only done a bit more than a week, but here are some things I wish I'd seen while prepping:

1) briefs. I prefer boxer briefs at home, but after talking to some ladies in my camino family about underwear..... I grabbed a pair of briefs at decathlon in Pamplona.

They are lighter and dry much faster than boxer briefs. Pack smaller too. For walking they seem to work just fine. Try em out. Save space/weight and dry faster.

2) sun sleeves
I have a pair from cycling. They're great. Basically a very thin nylon stocking for your arms. They're cooler than sunshine (upf 50), and warmer for morning starts. Makes all your short-sleeve tshirts into longsleeve (sorta).

3) shade hat.
I have a ballcap... It's ok.
I'm looking to buy a straw hat for more shade on my ears.

4) comfy pants
I brought some slow-dry mostly cotton khakis for evening. I am very happy with this choice. Being comfy after walking all day is important. I haven't washed them yet (mostly using at night they're clean enough).... I did wear them all over Pamplona on a rest day and felt less like a pilgrim standout. <-- Purely ego, I know. Walking without the swish swish of nylon is pleasant to me.

5) one of my merino tshirts has a collar. Feels more appropriate in a Spanish bar vs a tshirt (few locals wear tshirts after about 20yrs old) adds.... A few grams

6) i brought different styles of socks. Each pair fits a little different. I think this helps my feet stay healthy but does require an extra minute each morning to readjust my laces.

7) packing light is great, but if you can add a day or two, you can pack a few small luxuries and just walk a little slower..... I'm at about 7kg (before water) and just added an umbrella because its better for sun and easier vs. a jacket for lighter rain. Maybe the added weight means I take 41 days instead of 40.... Ok. I can do that. If you must hit a deadline, ultralight is useful.... But I did 28km today without issues (even w the umbrella!)

Buen camino!
Thanks for your insights. I took an alternate pair of insoles for my hiking shoes last time. Sill had my favourite ones but good to change it up occasionally for feet and leg muscles.

Yikes! Just a tad surprised you needed advice from women on the Camino with regard to what you should wear for undies. Did you not train at all? I cannot imagine needing to receive advice from guys on the Camino about which bra might serve me best. But maybe be that’s just me?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yikes! Just a tad surprised you needed advice from women on the Camino with regard to what you should wear for undies. Did you not train at all? I cannot imagine needing to receive advice from guys on the Camino about which bra might serve me best. But maybe be that’s just me?
My training didn't emphasize air-dry speed for laundry, no. Also didn't focus on the best way to carry euro coins... Among various other things.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.