• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

COVID 8 days left of Camino Frances and too sick to walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

sssalkat

Time of past OR future Camino
Current
Any suggestions on how to still finish the Camino? I don’t know how to find a bus to move forward or a doctor. We are in Trabadelo in a private room so I don’t make anyone sick in the Albergue. I wish they made COVID tests easy to find and use on Camino. No pharmacy open today.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So sorry to hear that you are sick. 😢
Going by similar posts in the last week it sounds like there is a mini Covid outbreak on the Camino right now.
The best thing that you can probably do is stay put until you are well enough to walk again, provided you have enough time.

Any suggestions on how to still finish the Camino? I don’t know how to find a bus to move forward or a doctor. We are in Trabadelo in a private room so I don’t make anyone sick in the Albergue. I wish they made COVID tests easy to find and use on Camino. No pharmacy open today.

No, only Farmacias de guarda are open on Sunday.

But there is one in Trabadelo that will be open tomorrow.

Taxi maybe tomorrow to Vega de Valcarce

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@SabineP has, hopefully solved your testing issue. Arsenio Alvarez Alvarez opens at 9:00 am tomorrow (Monday 3 Oct).

Transport forward? You'll need to return to Villafranca del Bierzo and pick up a bus to Lugo.

ALSA bus times for tomorrow, and through the week, here: https://rome2rio.omio.com/app/searc...=en&partnerId=rome2rio&sourceSystem=b2b-links

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Depends on how much time you have available. I got seriously ill a little further along the way. I received the necessary medical treatment, took a couple of extra days for recovery and then completed my Camino.

If you have the time and resources then consider doing the same.

For me it was important to complete as I have issues around things that I don't complete.

You, of course, are free to choose your own course from here and I like the idea of finishing things. 🚶🚶‍♀️♥️

When I got Covid on Camino I had no hesitation in stopping and concentrating on getting better. Knowing about the possibility of myocarditis I did not push myself to walk until I felt completely recovered.

I would not trade my long term health to satisfy my ego. Sometimes the lesson to be learnt on Camino, is that we are not always in control.

When I got Covid on Camino I had no hesitation in stopping and concentrating on getting better. Knowing about the possibility of myocarditis I did not push myself to walk until I felt completely recovered.

I would not trade my long term health to satisfy my ego. Sometimes the lesson to be learnt on Camino, is that we are not always in control.
I do have the same concern. It is recommended not to exercise for a certain amount of time after COVID. Funny how walking 18 km a day feels like an easy day on the Camino but still is significant amount of exercise and could put someone at risk for post COVID cardiac complications

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I do have the same concern. It is recommended not to exercise for a certain amount of time after COVID. Funny how walking 18 km a day feels like an easy day on the Camino but still is significant amount of exercise and could put someone at risk for post COVID cardiac complications
I guess it depends a lot on where you live. If you are a Spanish resident (your profile says Najera - is that where you live?) the most sensible thing would be to stay put for now, go home when you feel better and complete the camino when you feel strong enough. Under no circumstances should you risk your health.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Going by similar posts in the last week it sounds like there is a mini Covid outbreak on the Camino right now.
The best thing that you can probably do is stay put until you are well enough to walk again, provided you have enough time.
Sorry you are sick.
We left the CF last Monday, 2 weeks earlier than planned, for family reasons. We managed to get a last minute flight home to the UK. We tested positive last Tuesday, a week on, we are still testing positive. Had we not left early, we would have been pretty miserable having to isolate on the camino. We did take tests with us and would have been grateful had we needed to use them in Spain.
We are due our boosters, but are hoping having had covid, our immunity is will also be boosted. We were so careful, masking up etc, but covid takes no prisoners! Get well soon.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. My husband and I both tested positive for Covid and we are holed up in an apartment in Leon. This has really hit us hard so we’re not sure if we can continue walking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that’s it’s an outbreak, not a mini outbreak. So many people are coughing and sick and not isolating. We’ve stopped for a week and are isolating in an apartment. We’re not sure if we’ll go back out when we test negative. We are over 65 and we don’t want to sacrifice our long term health.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Aw crud. I'm very sorry you are ill! Please wear a mask when you go to the pharmacy and please, PLEASE! do not get in a bus or taxi to take you to further stages until you are no longer showing symptoms. Please be aware that rapid tests are not completely accurate and are more likely to give false negatives. Don't eat or drink an hour before, swab back of throat, inside of cheeks and then all the way in your nostrils until you almost hit your brain :D
Hope you're feeling better soon!

Aw crud. I'm very sorry you are ill! Please wear a mask when you go to the pharmacy and please, PLEASE! do not get in a bus or taxi to take you to further stages until you are no longer showing symptoms. Please be aware that rapid tests are not completely accurate and are more likely to give false negatives. Don't eat or drink an hour before, swab back of throat, inside of cheeks and then all the way in your nostrils until you almost hit your brain :D

True about the false negatives. Then again when the selftest is positive then for sure the PCR will be also!

I totally agree with this response. I hope that you feel better soon. The first time I walked the Camino I pushed my distance when I was injured. I know call it my injury of will. Stay safe. A

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Then get bus to Sarria (from same bus station, different company), five days to Santiago, 2 stamps per day, for last 100k if a Compostela, is important for you.

Take care.
I am so sorry you are sick, and also to other pilgrims who are testing positive on this thread.
There is good advice here already, so just to reiterate - rest and care for yourself gently. The Camino will wait and it plays with time, yeah? Maybe you can frame your healing as ‘unexpected steps’?(Real hard, uphill ones at that), rather than separate from your journey?
Ultreia et Suseia and steady recovery to you dear pilgrim.💖

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am holed up alone in Astorga with COVID —apartment hopping until I am recovered. I was very careful, fully boosted, always wore an N95 mask in transport and indoors. I spent only one night in one albergue with only 3 other women. But, alas, was COVID positive after my first day of real walking!! I am wondering if there’s anyone else in Astorga dealing with COVID? Maybe we can connect. I’m feeling well enough to be bored!! BTW finding an English speaking Dr was extremely difficult. I found a website with two English speaking Drs who have been very supportive and helpful. If you want the info, let me know.

Just a quick note here. I am also now dealing with COVID on the Camino (68 and fully boosted). In Spain there is no quarantine with COVID. In fact, you are expected to continue working…..masked. Masks are required in all mass transport, in pharmacies, and in any medical establishment. So, there are many folks out there with COVID who are just hiking about their daily lives. If you need to take transport, you can. You just need to mask. I am stuck in Astorga while I recover —-apartment hopping. I had to take a cab to get here from the tiny town I was in. Both the cab driver and I were masked and he knew I was COVID positive. There is a certain laxness here we don’t have in the US. I have no choice but to go out and shop for myself!! I think it’s unlikely I’ll continue my walk when I recover. Take care of yourself!!!!!

I am holed up alone in Astorga with COVID —apartment hopping until I am recovered. I was very careful, fully boosted, always wore an N95 mask in transport and indoors. I spent only one night in one albergue with only 3 other women. But, alas, was COVID positive after my first day of real walking!! I am wondering if there’s anyone else in Astorga dealing with COVID? Maybe we can connect. I’m feeling well enough to be bored!! BTW finding an English speaking Dr was extremely difficult. I found a website with two English speaking Drs who have been very supportive and helpful. If you want the info, let me know.
I’m so sorry to hear this. Where did you start your Camino from and when? My husband and I we got sick with Covid and we quarantined in an apartment in Leon for a week. There are many sick people out on the trail right now. We know! We heard them all hacking and coughing. I’m so glad that you found a website with 2 English speaking doctors. This can be really scary and that would be a great comfort. It sounds like you’re feeling a little better. Please take care . Hope all is well soon .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just a quick note here. I am also now dealing with COVID on the Camino (68 and fully boosted). In Spain there is no quarantine with COVID. In fact, you are expected to continue working…..masked. Masks are required in all mass transport, in pharmacies, and in any medical establishment. So, there are many folks out there with COVID who are just hiking about their daily lives. If you need to take transport, you can. You just need to mask. I am stuck in Astorga while I recover —-apartment hopping. I had to take a cab to get here from the tiny town I was in. Both the cab driver and I were masked and he knew I was COVID positive. There is a certain laxness here we don’t have in the US. I have no choice but to go out and shop for myself!! I think it’s unlikely I’ll continue my walk when I recover. Take care of yourself!!!!!
My husband and I have decided to end our hike as well due to catching Covid. We quarantined in Leon, and I’m just not strong enough right now to continue. We hiked from SJPP and will begin next time ( whenever that is) from Leon. We hiked the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon in March and stayed well the whole time. This time, it was just not to be.

COVID tests are easy to buy in any pharmacy.

I’m so sorry to hear this. Where did you start your Camino from and when? My husband and I we got sick with Covid and we quarantined in an apartment in Leon for a week. There are many sick people out on the trail right now. We know! We heard them all hacking and coughing. I’m so glad that you found a website with 2 English speaking doctors. This can be really scary and that would be a great comfort. It sounds like you’re feeling a little better. Please take care . Hope all is well soon .
Thank you for your kind words! I hope you are recovering well. The scariest thing for me is to be alone and ill. Fortunately, I am not so sick that I can’t take care of myself. And I thought I was being so careful!! I booked private rooms even though in my last Camino I stayed in albergues every night. I’m trying to think of this as a Camino lesson. Lol. Get better soon!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In Spain there is no quarantine with COVID. In fact, you are expected to continue working…..masked. Masks are required in all mass transport, in pharmacies, and in any medical establishment. So, there are many folks out there with COVID who are just hiking about their daily lives. If you need to take transport, you can.
This is simply not true and dangerous disinformation. The rules on self isolation depend on the seriousness of symptoms and the age of the patient

A friend and I planned a short Camino in 2019 after some time in Porto. I became acutely ill with a viral illness (not Covid) and had to taxi from lodging to lodging (small hotels) while she walked each day. I was well enough to walk the last day to Santiago.

While this wasn't the Camino I'd planned, it was truly a Camino experience--with the kindness of strangers, whether hoteliers, or taxi drivers, or pharmacists, or the neighbor/doc back home coaching me through it all, or walking into Santiago past the bagpiper.

I've since walked another CF, but my earlier attempt remains a touching experience.

I wish you healing and comfort in the days ahead.

In Spain there is no quarantine with COVID. In fact, you are expected to continue working…..masked.
There is no quarantine in most countries now, so Spain is no different.

I seriously question the generalized statement that "you are expected to continue working." Again, in most countries now, there are public health guidelines for how to manage Covid cases. They are much more nuanced than just "go to work but wear a mask". The guidance and the practices in Spain are very similar to most of our home countries/regions. As @phildimashq points out...
The rules on self isolation depend on the seriousness of symptoms and the age of the patient
The symptoms, Covid test results, and timing are all considerations. Both self-isolation and masking are important tools for managing Covid, which is all around us.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A good option is to stay put where you are. Alternatively, you can go back to Ponferada and seek medical assistance there. And why would you care if Covid tests were easier to find. It makes NO difference as you are sick. You could have Covid or maybe the flu or maybe something else. The point is that you are sick and thus are probably contagious so rest up, seek help if you think you require it, and try NOT to distribute whatever virus/bug that you are infected with....So knowing that you have "exactly" Covid or the flu doesn't make a difference. If you decide to push forward, Sarria has good medical facilities there or at least that is what I remember.

This is simply not true and dangerous disinformation. The rules on self isolation depend on the seriousness of symptoms and the age of the patient
What you say may be true for some. But my Dr here in Spain told me otherwise. Perhaps it varies with region? And, since I don’t have severe symptoms, perhaps she found it unnecessary to elaborate. In the States, it’s very different. If you test positive, you must isolate for 5 days (even with no symptoms) or until symptoms subside. That was recently reduced from 10 days.

There is no quarantine in most countries now, so Spain is no different.

I seriously question the generalized statement that "you are expected to continue working." Again, in most countries now, there are public health guidelines for how to manage Covid cases. They are much more nuanced than just "go to work but wear a mask". The guidance and the practices in Spain are very similar to most of our home countries/regions. As @phildimashq points out...

The symptoms, Covid test results, and timing are all considerations. Both self-isolation and masking are important tools for managing Covid, which is all around us.
The US still has mandatory COVID quarantine even with no symptoms.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The US still has mandatory COVID quarantine even with no symptoms.
You're not in the states. Please read the post from the moderator. I've nothing further to add to that.

This is beginning to sound like the Covid debates that we saw too many of, for over 2 years. Everyone should inform themselves of both the mandatory requirements and the recommendations (there is a difference) for the areas in which they live or travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back