• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

8 Days Oviedo to Oviedo questions

Pierre Julian

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese & Northern. Sections of Portuguese & Mozarabic.
Hi everyone, I've got 8.5 days to walk the Camino, flying in and out of Oviedo: 26th August to 4th September. It's not enough time to the Primitivo (and I would really like to do that in one go, and not at the height of the walking season). Ideally 20 - 25 km a day is what I would enjoy (I work hard and this is my holiday time). Has anyone got any thoughts on my options please?
  • Option 1 (the one I'm most inclined to): catch a bus to León and do the Salvador back to Oviedo. Benefit of this, is that it shouldn't be too busy, starts in Castilla y Leon my favourite part of Spain, and doesn't got to Galicia, my least favourite part. Questions: is the Enders' guide good enough to rely on? Any advice about buses from Asturias airport/Oviedo to León?
  • Option 2: as above, a bit more quickly, and then go from Oviedo to San Vicente - and do the Levaniego. Questions: is this too ambitious?
  • Option 3: go to Villaviciosa and continue my next section of the Northern, and try and get as far as Ribadeo. I'm aware that this would pass through a bulk of the Gijon and Aviles stretch which I believe is quite suburban.
  • Option 4 any other ideas?
Cheers, and best wishes,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone, I've got 8.5 days to walk the Camino, flying in and out of Oviedo: 26th August to 4th September. It's not enough time to the Primitivo (and I would really like to do that in one go, and not at the height of the walking season). Ideally 20 - 25 km a day is what I would enjoy (I work hard and this is my holiday time). Has anyone got any thoughts on my options please?
  • Option 1 (the one I'm most inclined to): catch a bus to León and do the Salvador back to Oviedo. Benefit of this, is that it shouldn't be too busy, starts in Castilla y Leon my favourite part of Spain, and doesn't got to Galicia, my least favourite part. Questions: is the Enders' guide good enough to rely on? Any advice about buses from Asturias airport/Oviedo to León?
  • Option 2: as above, a bit more quickly, and then go from Oviedo to San Vicente - and do the Levaniego. Questions: is this too ambitious?
  • Option 3: go to Villaviciosa and continue my next section of the Northern, and try and get as far as Ribadeo. I'm aware that this would pass through a bulk of the Gijon and Aviles stretch which I believe is quite suburban.
Cheers, and best wishes,

Hi, Pierre Julian,

Some great choices here! Hard to choose.

-- Option 1. As you see in Ender's guide, the Salvador can be walked in 4 days, which I have done, or five, which I have also done. Or more... Ender's guide is absolutely all you need. For buses, take the airport bus to Oviedo and then a bus or train to Leon. Bus and train station in Oviedo are very near each other.

-- Option 2. San Vicente to Santo Toribio is a long two days, can be done in three. I am not sure that the albergue in Santo Toribio is open again. When I walked, the albergue in Potes allowed us to stay two nights so that we could go out and back to Santo Toribio the day after arrival.

-- Option 3, as modified by me. If you arrive in Oviedo airport and want to contiue walking on the Norte, the camino goes very close to the airport, and I think there is a thread here from a while ago about just starting to walk on arrival. The part from Gijon to Aviles to Muros is a LOT of asphalt. Beach suburban after Aviles, lots of industry before it.

-- Other idea. Walk the Salvador and when you arrive in Oviedo, just keep walking north. The camino from Oviedo back to the Norte goes to Aviles and is well marked, lots of it is off road, and it doesn't have any of the industry you pass from Gijon to Aviles. That's one day, and from there you could walk a day or two more depending on your time availability. I think that with only 8 days to walk, it's preferable to eliminate bus or train between segments, but that's just me. And it would give you the flexibility to figure out how many days you want to walk the Salvador depending on how it goes once you are walking.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Pierre Julian,

Some great choices here! Hard to choose.

-- Option 1. As you see in Ender's guide, the Salvador can be walked in 4 days, which I have done, or five, which I have also done. Or more... Ender's guide is absolutely all you need. For buses, take the airport bus to Oviedo and then a bus or train to Leon. Bus and train station in Oviedo are very near each other.

-- Option 2. San Vicente to Santo Toribio is a long two days, can be done in three. I am not sure that the albergue in Santo Toribio is open again. When I walked, the albergue in Potes allowed us to stay two nights so that we could go out and back to Santo Toribio the day after arrival.

-- Option 3, as modified by me. If you arrive in Oviedo airport and want to contiue walking on the Norte, the camino goes very close to the airport, and I think there is a thread here from a while ago about just starting to walk on arrival. The part from Gijon to Aviles to Muros is a LOT of asphalt. Beach suburban after Aviles, lots of industry before it.

-- Other idea. Walk the Salvador and when you arrive in Oviedo, just keep walking north. The camino from Oviedo back to the Norte goes to Aviles and is well marked, lots of it is off road, and it doesn't have any of the industry you pass from Gijon to Aviles. That's one day, and from there you could walk a day or two more depending on your time availability. I think that with only 8 days to walk, it's preferable to eliminate bus or train between segments, but that's just me. And it would give you the flexibility to figure out how many days you want to walk the Salvador depending on how it goes once you are walking.

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks Laurie, that is so helpful - to get me to think it through. I really like your idea of walking from Oviedo to Aviles, and avoiding public transport. I've not being to Aviles, it's by the sea and close to the airport. I can always come back and do the stretch from Villaviciosa to Aviles another time. If I don't do the Lebaniego this time, I will have to do in winter if I want to do before the end of the Holy Year in April. Do you know if it is doable in winter?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks Laurie, that is so helpful - to get me to think it through. I really like your idea of walking from Oviedo to Aviles, and avoiding public transport. I've not being to Aviles, it's by the sea and close to the airport. I can always come back and do the stretch from Villaviciosa to Aviles another time. If I don't do the Lebaniego this time, I will have to do in winter if I want to do before the end of the Holy Year in April. Do you know if it is doable in winter?

I just don't know enough about the weather in that part of Spain to tell you. Potes is in the Picos so I assume there is a fair amount of snow. There is a climb that goes up and down before Lebeña, but I just don't know whether it is likely to be snow covered and the trail impassable.

Another option would be to get yourself to San Vicente as soon as you arrive in Oviedo and walk to Santo Toribio. And then continue on as far as you get on the Lebaniego. The first couple of days from Potes (I went to Fuente De and then Portilla de la Reina) are really beautiful. I walked the Lebañiego/Vadiniense several years ago, you can find links to my blog below this post in my signature line.

I just don't know enough about the weather in that part of Spain to tell you. Potes is in the Picos so I assume there is a fair amount of snow. There is a climb that goes up and down before Lebeña, but I just don't know whether it is likely to be snow covered and the trail impassable.

Another option would be to get yourself to San Vicente as soon as you arrive in Oviedo and walk to Santo Toribio. And then continue on as far as you get on the Lebaniego. The first couple of days from Potes (I went to Fuente De and then Portilla de la Reina) are really beautiful. I walked the Lebañiego/Vadiniense several years ago, you can find links to my blog below this post in my signature line.
So helpful, thanks.

I'm just back from walking the Salvador, having started in Leon, and walked to Oviedo, where I got my flight home.
I did it in 6 days, which felt right for me, I would have found it pretty tough going to do it in less, but some others on the route were doing it in 4 or 5 days.
Its a truly beautiful camino, but involves a lot of up and down, with ascents steeper than the flight path of a homesick angel, and descents like a piano going down a mine shaft. There is one day which involves a long walk next to a motorway which is a bit tedious, but given the views and peacefulness of the rest of the walk, is ok. The hostel in Mieres is closed just now, so you need to build in an alternative.
It's well marked, easy to follow and Enders guide is all the information you need. I would really recommend that you try this route.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm just back from walking the Salvador, having started in Leon, and walked to Oviedo, where I got my flight home.
I did it in 6 days, which felt right for me, I would have found it pretty tough going to do it in less, but some others on the route were doing it in 4 or 5 days.
Its a truly beautiful camino, but involves a lot of up and down, with ascents steeper than the flight path of a homesick angel, and descents like a piano going down a mine shaft. There is one day which involves a long walk next to a motorway which is a bit tedious, but given the views and peacefulness of the rest of the walk, is ok. The hostel in Mieres is closed just now, so you need to build in an alternative.
It's well marked, easy to follow and Enders guide is all the information you need. I would really recommend that you try this route.
Thanks MK, that sounds great. Have you got any tips on good albergues, or places to stay? Any towns or villages along the way that are particularly good, if I choose to stay a day in any of them? Best wishes,

Thanks MK, that sounds great. Have you got any tips on good albergues, or places to stay? Any towns or villages along the way that are particularly good, if I choose to stay a day in any of them? Best wishes,
Definitely try to stay here:
https://www.gronze.com/asturias/benduenos/albergue-peregrinos-santuario-benduenos
It's small albergue (only 4 bunks, 8 people) but it's special also for Sandra's hospitality.
Try to call ahead and Sandra will pick you up in Herias. Or walk 1,5km on a very steep tarmac road with no traffic at all. No need to stock up before as there is everything in the fridge and you pay for it as donation. Also vegetarian dinner is served. Dinner and bed are on fixed price though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Cheers, and best wishes,
Definitely try to stay here:
https://www.gronze.com/asturias/benduenos/albergue-peregrinos-santuario-benduenos
It's small albergue (only 4 bunks, 8 people) but it's special also for Sandra's hospitality.
Try to call ahead and Sandra will pick you up in Herias. Or walk 1,5km on a very steep tarmac road with no traffic at all. No need to stock up before as there is everything in the fridge and you pay for it as donation. Also vegetarian dinner is served. Dinner and bed are on fixed price though.
Thanks KinkyONe, I'll try and stay there.

Has anyone stayed at Cabanillas? I'm thinking that with the train to Leon etc, it might be best to divide up the first day and not walk quite so far. Thanks,

I know that @jpflavin1 flew from Chicago, arrived in Madrid the next morning and took a train to León, and walked to Cabanillas. So with a flight from London, if you arrive early enough in the day, it should be simple! What time do you arrive in León? It's about 18 km from León, so I wouldn't want to start out much later than 1 or 2. I have heard that the albergue is very nice, anad @Magwood's recent post confirms that. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/how-many-beds-in-cabanillas.49416/#post-536078

Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I know that @jpflavin1 flew from Chicago, arrived in Madrid the next morning and took a train to León, and walked to Cabanillas. So with a flight from London, if you arrive early enough in the day, it should be simple! What time do you arrive in León? It's about 18 km from León, so I wouldn't want to start out much later than 1 or 2. I have heard that the albergue is very nice, anad @Magwood's recent post confirms that. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/how-many-beds-in-cabanillas.49416/#post-536078

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks Laurie. Very helpful. I'm arriving into Asturias airport at 9:30pm on Saturday, so was thinking of getting the airport bus to Oviedo (any cheap accommodation ideas there, which I can access late at night?) straight away, and then the next day getting the bus or train to León, and then starting the walk - hopefully as you say by 1 - 2 pm. I don't think there is any food provision in Cabanillas, from what I can see.

Thanks Laurie. Very helpful. I'm arriving into Asturias airport at 9:30pm on Saturday, so was thinking of getting the airport bus to Oviedo (any cheap accommodation ideas there, which I can access late at night?) straight away, and then the next day getting the bus or train to León, and then starting the walk - hopefully as you say by 1 - 2 pm. I don't think there is any food provision in Cabanillas, from what I can see.

Yes, Maggie's post says to bring food. Jpflavin must have been lucky, because I think the hospitalera made him dinner. But I wouldn't count on that.

I usually just use booking.com for a last minute special in a nice-ish hotel in Oviedo, the Vetusta is one of my favorites. If you are not going to be spending time there to see the city upon arrival, you should stay near the train or bus station. They are both very close to each other. Just looking at what booking has to offer near the station, looks like Pensión Romero and Hostal Alvarez are close by. But the area is loaded with small pensiones, most of which probably don't use booking. Google maps shows Pensión Gonzalez, Hostal Oviedo, Pensión Leonés. I don't know any of these places, but they all look decent.

p.s. You should make sure these places will be open for a late arrival, a lot of the small pensiones don´t have full time reception.

Yes, Maggie's post says to bring food. Jpflavin must have been lucky, because I think the hospitalera made him dinner. But I wouldn't count on that.

I usually just use booking.com for a last minute special in a nice-ish hotel in Oviedo, the Vetusta is one of my favorites. If you are not going to be spending time there to see the city upon arrival, you should stay near the train or bus station. They are both very close to each other. Just looking at what booking has to offer near the station, looks like Pensión Romero and Hostal Alvarez are close by. But the area is loaded with small pensiones, most of which probably don't use booking. Google maps shows Pensión Gonzalez, Hostal Oviedo, Pensión Leonés. I don't know any of these places, but they all look decent.

p.s. You should make sure these places will be open for a late arrival, a lot of the small pensiones don´t have full time reception.
Wow, thanks, you are so helpful. It's late here now, but I'm going to have a proper look at those in the morning. Thanks again

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back