• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

8 May Fete end of WWII

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On a note of historical accuracy, Victory in Europe might be celebrated on 8 May, but WWII did not end until the surrender of the Japanese on 2 Sep 1945, following an armistice on 14 Aug.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On a note of historical accuracy, Victory in Europe might be celebrated on 8 May, but WWII did not end until the surrender of the Japanese on 2 Sep 1945, following an armistice on 14 Aug.
WW2 in Europe, Doug, yes. Although in my country it officially ended on May 9th ;)

Remind me when the war in Iraq ended? What was that USA president that proclaimed it??? It was on a battle ship I think. How many years ago? ETC.........

I think the OP tried to put emphasis on the French authorities who might have some info on possible coming attacks there.
we can contest when WW2 really ended another day !

I think the OP tried to put emphasis on the French authorities who might have some info on possible coming attacks there.
we can contest when WW2 really ended another day !
I don't think that the OP was talking about attacks, but protests and demonstrations.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You are right of course. However, within Europe, "Victory Day in Europe" or "VE Day" is not an expression that is in current use in most European languages and countries other than in English and in the UK. I had a look at a short list in one of the Wikipedia articles - I like to look at articles in several languages on the same topic because there are often nuances. In the majority of European countries and languages it is either called Liberation Day or Victory Day, and it is commemorated on 5 May or 8 May or 9 May, depending on when the war ended for their civil population and their fighters.

Often, when you say "end of the war", "fin de la guerre", "Kriegsende", "конец войны", without any further qualification, most people still understand that what is meant is WWII.

Last edited:
You are right of course. However, within Europe, "Victory Day in Europe" or "VE Day" is not an expression that is in current use in most European languages and countries other than in English and in the UK. I had a look at a short list in one of the Wikipedia articles - I like to look at articles in several languages on the same topic because there are often nuances. In the majority of European countries and languages it is either called Liberation Day or Victory Day, and it is commemorated on 5 May or 8 May or 9 May, depending on when the war ended for their civil population and their fighters. Often, if you say "end of the war", "fin de la guerre", "Kriegsende", without any further qualification, most people still understand that what is meant is WWII.
You are probably correct that most people in Europe will be focused on the major events there, and not on the broader range of events taking place in Asia and Oceania. The events that preceded the entry of the US into WWII could be traced back to the Japanese invasion of Manchuria in 1931 and then China in 1937, not Poland or anywhere in Europe. But that is where I expect many Europeans would consider WWII started in 1939.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
WW2 in Europe, Doug, yes. Although in my country it officially ended on May 9th ;)

Remind me when the war in Iraq ended? What was that USA president that proclaimed it??? It was on a battle ship I think. How many years ago? ETC.........

Do be careful... you’re Losing the plot. Please don’t digress and offend the moderator gods...

All I was suggesting was vigilance. It's a holiday and the gilets jaunes will be taking to the streets.
Thanks for the heads up. I arrive in Paris on Tuesday, and will be there until Friday. Are there any particular parts of the city to avoid on Wednesday?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I would avoid the Champs Elysees, anywhere on the Left Bank around the university and especially Place Saint-Michel. They have mainly protested in the open in large spaces but the Metro is no immune. I think last week there was lots of activity around Gare Lyon.

I would avoid the Champs Elysees, anywhere on the Left Bank around the university and especially Place Saint-Michel. They have mainly protested in the open in large spaces but the Metro is no immune. I think last week there was lots of activity around Gare Lyon.
Thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back