• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

8 more weeks before we go !!!

Dutchwalk53

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2015 with son #1, CF 2016 alone, CF 2017 with son #2 and husband , CF Sept 2018 with daughter
so...we got all our gear, shoes are broken in and I got my custom made insoles (I have super high arches) , backpacks picked out, got bed bug spray to treat pack and sleeping bag liner, started longer walks (10 miles) once a week with 15 lbs pack, and 4 shorter ones every week ( 4 miles) , booked some hostels (just in the bigger towns as anchor stops).....ANY last tips what I can do these last 8 weeks to be as prepped as one can be????? I keep thinking I forgot something simple .... my personal biggest concerns are still my feet and knees.
We (me and my 20 year old son) are leaving for Pamplona May 23rd and will walk from Pamplona to Burgos and then from Leon to Santiago.
SOOOO excited to get started :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hablas espanol? Your physical plan sounds great... just keep it up and maybe increase the intensity a little each week for the next 6 and then sort of rest, but on the physical side that regimen probably puts you in the high side of the spectrum of things as far as preparedness... But do you speak any Spanish? In 8 weeks you could probably learn enough to allow you to at least speak some with the locals (employing gestures and body language)...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hablas espanol? Your physical plan sounds great... just keep it up and maybe increase the intensity a little each week for the next 6 and then sort of rest, but on the physical side that regimen probably puts you in the high side of the spectrum of things as far as preparedness... But do you speak any Spanish? In 8 weeks you could probably learn enough to allow you to at least speak some with the locals (employing gestures and body language)...
Thanks Damien. As far as the Spanish goes I will manage. I lived in Europe for 33 years .
Thanks Damien. It's great to hear from an experienced walker like you that I am on the right track physically. I will indeed "up it" a bit the next few weeks....Living in Florida means ...no hills...so I was thinking about walking on a threat mill with an incline a few times a week. As far as Spanish goes...I lived for 33 years in Europe and the language barrier is something I grew up with and will manage. Thanks again for the advise :)

Hey Dutch - I should have figured that out based on your name I guess... I was just trying to come up with something simple that might be overlooked by a typical American who has never stepped foot in Europe.... like I was before my first time there... have a great time...

BTW - I myself did my first Camino from Leon to Santiago with my mother. I was 31, she was 55. It was a great bonding experience and something I highly recommend for any family member. I learned quick on the camino what family means, unrelenting loyalty, etc. I always knew, as we both struggled, that we had each other's backs completely. We came back and my mother was my best friend.

Hey Dutch - I should have figured that out based on your name I guess... I was just trying to come up with something simple that might be overlooked by a typical American who has never stepped foot in Europe.... like I was before my first time there... have a great time...

BTW - I myself did my first Camino from Leon to Santiago with my mother. I was 31, she was 55. It was a great bonding experience and something I highly recommend for any family member. I learned quick on the camino what family means, unrelenting loyalty, etc. I always knew, as we both struggled, that we had each other's backs completely. We came back and my mother was my best friend.
Wow that is SO great to hear. I will turn 53 the day we arrive in Santiago (hence my name :) ) and all my 3 kids wanted to join me. However only the my 20 year old son who is still in college had 5 weeks time to take off for it. Can't wait to spend the time with him ! We agreed we would still make it our own experience but will always sleep in the same hostels and towns.....but may end up walking some hours here and there without each other. Maybe !!!! Who knows how we end up doing it all :) And yes I understand how you would think the language is an overlooked issue if you have never been to Europe.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Wow that is SO great to hear. I will turn 53 the day we arrive in Santiago (hence my name :) ) and all my 3 kids wanted to join me. However only the my 20 year old son who is still in college had 5 weeks time to take off for it. Can't wait to spend the time with him ! We agreed we would still make it our own experience but will always sleep in the same hostels and towns.....but may end up walking some hours here and there without each other. Maybe !!!! Who knows how we end up doing it all :) And yes I understand how you would think the language is an overlooked issue if you have never been to Europe.

so...we got all our gear, shoes are broken in and I got my custom made insoles (I have super high arches) , backpacks picked out, got bed bug spray to treat pack and sleeping bag liner, started longer walks (10 miles) once a week with 15 lbs pack, and 4 shorter ones every week ( 4 miles) , booked some hostels (just in the bigger towns as anchor stops).....ANY last tips what I can do these last 8 weeks to be as prepped as one can be????? I keep thinking I forgot something simple .... my personal biggest concerns are still my feet and knees.
We (me and my 20 year old son) are leaving for Pamplona May 23rd and will walk from Pamplona to Burgos and then from Leon to Santiago.
I wish you a very buen camino and offer you one caution about your insoles; make sure you break them in properly. On my first Camino, I was wearing my 2 month old orthotics. I had been instructed to slowly build up my tolerance for them but had probably only worn them for about three or four hours a day instead of building up to eight hours. Big mistake! I had no problems for over a week, but then with no warning my arches gave out and I was in extreme pain, unable to walk and reduced to crawling around the albergue. The next morning I had to buy regular inserts for my shoes and pack away the orthotics. I hobbled onward for the next few days and then was fine.

.... my personal biggest concerns are still my feet and knees.
Training in gear and on terrain is key for your feet/knee. Why not gradually increase the walking distance/frequency to about what you would do in the Camino, 20-25km/day.
If you have any rolling hills nearby, it would maximize your preparation. If you are going to use trekking poles, also use them in your training. 8 weeks is a good training period.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I like to run long distances as a hobby (marathons and half marathons), so I try to take care of my feet all the time. I'm preparing for my camino in May 18 starting from SJPDP. during the week, I run almost everyday exept on Fridays. I usually do 3 to 5 miles run during the week, rest Friday, then Saturday and Sunday I walk with my bag pack at least 12 to 15 miles a day. I like to use Vaseline every time on my feet, a lot of it. Since I started using it blisters desapear completely. Of course, I use running socks, my favorites Asics! I use them to run and to walk with my boots. This inexpensive trick have helped me a lot, hope it work for you too. Buen camino

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Crazy! That is what we were told by others when we decided to walk 500+ miles with two of our children across the top of Spain. We got a little nervous in the weeks leading up to the flight that...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back