• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

9 Day on the Camino...Where to start!?!

Hnting

Hello all,

Let me start by saying thank you for all the great info that just seeps from this site. It has made the stress of planning my Camino so much easier to deal with.

With that said, there is still stress. I have been doing a lot of reading and researching in an attempt to make a couple of important decisons. The first of which is where to start? I have, at most, 10 days to spend on the Camino (this time) and am having a hard time deciding where to start. My second question, once I have found where I am going to start, is how to get there. Fly into Madrid and bus/train it to my start? I have no idea...Thats were you all come in. Any help (on this round of questions ;) will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Matt

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Matt, you could walk any one of the 15 or so camino routes - even the path from Madrid.
Do you want to finish in Santiago?
Do you want a Compostela?
Do you mind crowds?
Are you looking for solitude?
You could walk a week on any of these routes wiand earn the Compostela starting from: -
Ferrol - 112 Camino Ingles
Lugo - 101 Camino Norte
Sarria - 114 Camino Frances
Muxia/Fisterra - 116 Fistera Way
Tui - 117 Portuguese Caminho
Ourense - 108 Silver Way

Take you pick and then you can work out how to reach the start!

Do you want to finish in Santiago? Yes
Do you want a Compostela? Not important, but would be nice
Do you mind crowds? Not at all
Are you looking for solitude? At times it can be nice, but it is not needed

I have heard the most about these two.
Lugo - 101 Camino Norte: From what I understand this route is very scenic
Sarria - 114 Camino Frances: However, this one seems to have a lot of post on it...

One poster had good things to say about seven days on this route.
Muxia/Fisterra - 116 Fisterra Way

A sites say to fly into Santiago and take a bus to start point...

I have 11-12 days in country and was going to give 10 of them to the Camino. If I only spent 5-6 on the trail to Santiago, then I was going to use the remainder to go Fisterra...or at least that is what I am thinking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Okie dokie!

If I had 10 days on the camino I would fly to Santiago (you don't have to see the cathedral or the old city) - get a bus or train to el Ferrol and walk 5/6 days to Santiago and then 3/4 days to Finisterre. I would do that tomorrow if I could!! Actually, m backpack is always ready - I could start right now!

That good huh? That is very encouraging. Thanks for the insight. Keep an eye out for my other questinos to come.

Side note: Glad to see you representing Afreeka. I lived in Uganda for a while. Absolutely love it! Can't wait to go back.

Thanks again for the help.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back