• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

9 month contract teaching job in Ponferrada

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
http://www.tefl.com/jobs/job.html?jo_id=35541&from=rss

We are looking for two EFL teachers to join our dynamic team of professionals. The successful applicants will be expected to teach 25 hours a week, in addition to completing registers and writing monthly progress reports for parents.
The majority of classes will involve teaching young learners between 4 and 13 years old and run from Monday to Friday.
Adult general English classes, teen classes, company classes and one to one classes are also included in the timetable. Teachers are given full backup from the Director of Studies and material is provided to teach English in a fun, communicative manner.
Story telling, pair work and group work activities form the backbone of our young learners courses with the addition of songs and games. We also run Cambridge exam preparation courses and in school and off site company classes.
Successful applicants will be paid €1150 gross for a full time contract of 25 hours a week on a pro rata basis. All salaries are fully declared for tax and social security purposes. Contract for nine months (October to June) with paid holidays at Christmas, Easter and all public holidays. Beautiful 2 bedroom flat available to rent through the school.
Qualifications
Applicants must have a CELTA qualification or equivalent and experience of teaching young leaners.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Sil,
Last August I contacted you regarding ESL teaching posts in Ponferrada, a teacher here in New York is interested in teaching in Spain during the summer of '09, what would you recommend her to do? As for myself, I am going on the Camino in September of ''09 and after reaching Santiago I will begin my search for a house. At the present time, I am filing papers here in NY with the Spanish Consulate for a residency visa to retire in Spain. I have made a few contacts with people already living there and they advised me to settle in first and seek out a few students for english language tutoring. Do you know of any institutes or international schools that would hire me?

Thank you very much for any information you can send me.

Saludos,
Tony

Dear Tony
There´s LOTS of info. about teaching English in Spain, immigration, settling in, etc. at http://www.multimadrid.com. It is Madrid-centric, but you will find plenty to keep you occupied and informed. You don´t say where you are coming from... are you an EU citizen, American, Antipodian, or "Other?" Requirements vary widely, depending on where you´re coming from; opportunities vary widely depending on where you want to go.

The language school in Ponferrada is ambitious, if nothing else. I cannot speak for its programs, students, rep, etc., but I know the school director was over at the Ponferrada pilgrim hostel a couple of weeks ago -- he´d heard there was an American native speaker hospitalera there (moi) and he wanted to see if I´d come over to the school and chat for a while with the students, to get them accustomed to the accent and approach and culture. I found him very charming and student-oriented... and I noticed also that he made no mention of what was in it for me. Evidently, as a volunteer hospitalero, I was also, perhaps, a volunteer Bonus Teacher for the language school. I was supposed to just go over there and chatter for free!

Well, I suppose that would be fine for many people, but after a "Journada Mexicana" at the albergue, I wasn´t in the market for more "volunteer opportunities!" (I´ve mentioned in the past some of this subtle, polite, camino-flavored exploitation going on with private enterprise happily using volunteer labor, and pocketing the wages that could´ve/should´ve been paid.) Don´t be exploited, even by NICE people.

By all means check it out, but be careful and state your expectations right up front. You don´t want to make all the travel and adjustments and find out you´re an unwitting volunteer.

Rebekah (aka Commie Pinko)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am currently in week two of a 30 week (1 day a week) Celta course. I know it can be done in a month of full-time intensive teaching too but this is generally not recommended as it is quite a demanding course.

So far it has been really interesting but I can see the workload is going to be quite high, especially if, as in my case, it has to be fitted around other commitments. If anyone has thought about doing this course and wants some insights as I go along then please get in touch.

My daughter did an on-line Tefl course earlier this year and was offered several summer jobs as a result. She ended up training in Perugia and then teaching English to Italian schoolchildren in Dublin and North Wales. I think this is quite a brave (and possibly risky) route to take as you start with absolutely no practical teaching experience and may struggle depending on the students you have and the support you get from the institution. (My daughter found the better paid jobs generally asked for the Celta qualification.) Nevertheless, she had a great experience, saved a little money, and now has some teaching experience to add to her qualification.

It would appear there is a world of difference between teaching children and teaching adults. Some childrens teaching jobs (particularly in residential schools)seem to involve quite a lot of 'babysitting' and social activities organising. Depends if that is your thing or not.

Havn't got any definite plans for when I (hopefully!) qualify, but thought it might be a way to experience some far flung places and be able to fund the travels with a little work whilst I am there.

Laura

anthonyjf said:
Hello Sil,
Last August I contacted you regarding ESL teaching posts in Ponferrada, a teacher here in New York is interested in teaching in Spain during the summer of '09, what would you recommend her to do? As for myself, I am going on the Camino in September of ''09 and after reaching Santiago I will begin my search for a house. At the present time, I am filing papers here in NY with the Spanish Consulate for a residency visa to retire in Spain. I have made a few contacts with people already living there and they advised me to settle in first and seek out a few students for english language tutoring. Do you know of any institutes or international schools that would hire me?

Thank you very much for any information you can send me.

Saludos,
Tony
Hi again Tony,

I am happy to hear that your plans are coming along nicely!

Since the university semester is starting this week in Santiago, and many of them are interested in improving their English skills (yes, it seems like finally there is some emphasis on learning English. I think due to the increase of tourists to Galicia).

Unless you are English major, I don't think English is taught at the university level. So what do students do? They go to private "Academias" to learn it. There are many of these academias in Santiago, some specialize in languages and some on other topics (like preparing for the local police exam or the exam to work as a public worker). So there are many types of academias.

If you do a google search on "acedemias santiago de compostela" you will find several listed. This is a good start when looking for a English teaching job. But you have to have patience, jobs are not easy to find in Galicia and this is also true in teaching English.

Remember that to be hired you would need a NIE (similar to the SSN in the USA). You can apply and get that from the local police. More on this here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIE_Number

Happy planning and let me know when you are in Santiago. Let's have a coffee!

Un saludo,
Ivar

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Perhaps Tony is too humble to state his credentials.
He is a teacher with the New York City Department of Education: for the past 23 years, he has been teaching history to middle school students (8th grade) as well as teaching ESL (English As A Second Language) during the summer months for the past 3 years. He has a Bachelor's in Medieval History and a Master of Science in School Administration. He was planning on taking accelerated courses in ESL this winter which will grant him a certificate in the same subject.
So, can anyone please recommend him to a good institution that can use his wonderful skills?

Dear Sillydoll, Ivar, Laura, Falcon, Rebekah (Commie Pinko),

Wow is all I can say!
The advice, information, and kind words you have sent me has deeply touched me. Everytime I come to this place with a question the response is always generous and helpful. Thank you all! I feel that this is just the spirit of the Camino working through you. Que viva siempre el Camino!

The websites and links you have sent me, I will make use of as well as continue my own search. I hope we all meet someday, lunch is on me!

Saludos y muchisimos gracias,
Tony Ferreira

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back