• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

90 days to go and feeling nervous

Babyboomergirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2017
Primitivo 2018
Finisterre/Muxía 2018
Norte 2019
Good morning everyone from hot and sunny Perth.

Perfect weather this week for my camino training, although I am hoping it won’t be quite this hot in Spain in late April.
This isn’t my first Camino but still my head is full of so many questions and I would really like any information from those members who have walked the VdLP at a similar time.

Should I swap my fairly heavy ( 1.4kg ) but reliable Osprey backpack with good ventilation for a lighter pack ?

I need to replace my worn out Goretex Scarpa boots which I like with new ones. Should I try something more lightweight and breathable ?

I have purchased a reflective umbrella for the sun which is new for this camino. Are there likely to be many days when it rains or is cold ? I’m thinking I might just take a lightweight rain jacket.

I‘ve previously walked March / April in cooler and sometimes wet weather and am hoping to pack lighter this time given the extra food and water I’ll need to carry.

Buen Camino to all those who will be walking soon.

Attachments

• 53616C3D-C275-43E4-8015-B2803C849FE6.jpeg
    53616C3D-C275-43E4-8015-B2803C849FE6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,826
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Perfect weather this week for my camino training, although I am hoping it won’t be quite this hot in Spain in late April.
This isn’t my first Camino but still my head is full of so many questions and I would really like any information from those members who have walked the VdLP at a similar time.

Should I swap my fairly heavy ( 1.4kg ) but reliable Osprey backpack with good ventilation for a lighter pack ?

Possibly. You need to balance the extra cost of a new, lighter pack against the utility of carrying less weight. I tend to lean towards less weight.

I need to replace my worn out Goretex Scarpa boots which I like with new ones. Should I try something more lightweight and breathable ?
Yes

I have purchased a reflective umbrella for the sun which is new for this camino. Are there likely to be many days when it rains or is cold ? I’m thinking I might just take a lightweight rain jacket.

I‘ve previously walked March / April in cooler and sometimes wet weather and am hoping to pack lighter this time given the extra food and water I’ll need to carry.

Buen Camino

Hi @Babyboomergirl

First, wow, that is hot over your way. Meanwhile, over the East Coast at Pretty Beach, the lovely summer weather of the past few days has disappeared. Oh well.

I'm sure there will be many replies soon from people who have walked the VdelP at the same time - but in the meantime I thought I'd make a contribution which may or may not help. I should confess up front that I am usually reluctant to change things that have worked for me ... it gives me a sense of security with gear that has served me well., e.g. I've worn the same brand of socks for every camino since 2011 and the same shoe model for the past 8 years.. If it ain't broke etc ...

That doesn't seem heavy to me? I have an Osprey Kite 36 litre which is about the same weight. If it fits well and you like it, why not stick with it? For me the weight is more about what's inside the pack.

Again, as you like the boots you have do you need to change? If you'd like something that feels more lightweight - would you consider going from a boot to a shoe? I've never worn boots on any camino - but footwear is v personal.

If you're concerned about the Goretex, do they make the same model in a non-Goretex? The GTX or non-GTX conversation is interesting. I wear Salomon shoes (not boots) and have had them with or without GTX. I think for some brands (inc Salomon), the GTX versions are much more lightweight and breathable than they may have been years ago and dry just as easily. I don't find much difference in weight or breathability, just that the GTX are more water resistant. But if it's pouring and / or you're walking through big puddles or crossing a stream, your feet will get wet whatever you wear. So I think non-GTX would be fine.

Are there likely to be many days when it rains or is cold ? I’m thinking I might just take a lightweight rain jacket.
Though I haven't walked the VdelP, I've walked the Mozarabe In May and Madrid in September - hot weather, but the mornings were sometimes quite cold and rain is always a possibility. From March through to October, I always take the same lightweight waterproof jacket, and rely on layers as needed.

Good idea re the umbrella. I carry an ultra lightweight umbrella - for rain or shine. I don't use it often but happy to have it when I do.

am hoping to pack lighter this time given the extra food and water I’ll need to carry.
Always a good idea to cut down the weight where you can, without sacrificing the comfort items that are important to you. You're experienced ... just put it all out on the bed and work out what you can happily live without. For me, I usually have a few more items of clothing than are absolutely necessary and the toiletries bag can always do with a ruthless cull.

Sorry if my comments don't help in your decision making. But I'm so excited for you to be so close to starting this walk. I know that you, like me, have had to reschedule your VdelP ... but it's almost time. 'You've got this', as they say!

Best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @Babyboomergirl

First, wow, that is hot over your way. Meanwhile, over the East Coast at Pretty Beach, the lovely summer weather of the past few days has disappeared. Oh well.

I'm sure there will be many replies soon from people who have walked the VdelP at the same time - but in the meantime I thought I'd make a contribution which may or may not help. I should confess up front that I am usually reluctant to change things that have worked for me ... it gives me a sense of security with gear that has served me well., e.g. I've worn the same brand of socks for every camino since 2011 and the same shoe model for the past 8 years.. If it ain't broke etc ...

That doesn't seem heavy to me? I have an Osprey Kite 36 litre which is about the same weight. If it fits well and you like it, why not stick with it? For me the weight is more about what's inside the pack.

Again, as you like the boots you have do you need to change? If you'd like something that feels more lightweight - would you consider going from a boot to a shoe? I've never worn boots on any camino - but footwear is v personal.

If you're concerned about the Goretex, do they make the same model in a non-Goretex? The GTX or non-GTX conversation is interesting. I wear Salomon shoes (not boots) and have had them with or without GTX. I think for some brands (inc Salomon), the GTX versions are much more lightweight and breathable than they may have been years ago and dry just as easily. I don't find much difference in weight or breathability, just that the GTX are more water resistant. But if it's pouring and / or you're walking through big puddles or crossing a stream, your feet will get wet whatever you wear. So I think non-GTX would be fine.

Though I haven't walked the VdelP, I've walked the Mozarabe In May and Madrid in September - hot weather, but the mornings were sometimes quite cold and rain is always a possibility. From March through to October, I always take the same lightweight waterproof jacket, and rely on layers as needed.

Good idea re the umbrella. I carry an ultra lightweight umbrella - for rain or shine. I don't use it often but happy to have it when I do.

Always a good idea to cut down the weight where you can, without sacrificing the comfort items that are important to you. You're experienced ... just put it all out on the bed and work out what you can happily live without. For me, I usually have a few more items of clothing than are absolutely necessary and the toiletries bag can always do with a ruthless cull.

Sorry if my comments don't help in your decision making. But I'm so excited for you to be so close to starting this walk. I know that you, like me, have had to reschedule your VdelP ... but it's almost time. 'You've got this', as they say!

Best wishes
Thank you for all your comments.
I probably should have titled my post “ 90 days to go and seeking reassurance” 😂
I always start to have doubts about the journey as it gets closer and more so this time because I’ve spent the last three years on road trips with not much hiking.
What I’ve always liked about the Camino is I could grab my pack, put on my boots and just go but the need for new shoes/ boots has sent me researching everything 🤷‍♀️

We are all nervous to start a new Camino but I'm sure you will love it. It's my favourite.

I changed from my heavy Deuter 50+10 backpack last April to an Osprey 38 and it was perfect.
I have walked the Via from mid April three times now and had only a few hot days at first .Nothing like the heat we are having in Perth at present though.
I've just replaced my Keens shoes. They are fairly heavy and Goretex but that's what I'm used to and I don't get wet feet . On the 2nd day from Guillena last year we had torrential rain from 11am all day ,a first for me on the Via. Luckily I had booked a room in a cosy Pension and the kind owner dried all of our clothes and belongings. Who knows what the weather will be this year.
I use a rainjacket and my hiking pants dry quickly. Lots of the pilgrims wore ponchos.
We have a meet up next Sunday29th if you are free. At Benny's in Fremantle.
Heather

We are all nervous to start a new Camino but I'm sure you will love it. It's my favourite.

I changed from my heavy Deuter 50+10 backpack last April to an Osprey 38 and it was perfect.
I have walked the Via from mid April three times now and had only a few hot days at first .Nothing like the heat we are having in Perth at present though.
I've just replaced my Keens shoes. They are fairly heavy and Goretex but that's what I'm used to and I don't get wet feet . On the 2nd day from Guillena last year we had torrential rain from 11am all day ,a first for me on the Via. Luckily I had booked a room in a cosy Pension and the kind owner dried all of our clothes and belongings. Who knows what the weather will be this year.
I use a rainjacket and my hiking pants dry quickly. Lots of the pilgrims wore ponchos.
We have a meet up next Sunday29th if you are free. At Benny's in Fremantle.
Heather
I have walked the Via from mid April three times now and had only a few hot days at first .Nothing like the heat we are having in Perth at present though
Thank you. That makes me feel much better.
We have a meet up next Sunday29th if you are free. At Benny's in Fremantle
Yes I’ll definitely try and be there. 😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh, the pre-camino jitters — I think you are doing what I frequently do — start obsessing about gear to direct what are the inevitable nerves, anxiety about the upcoming camino. A few years ago, until the last minute, I was going back and forth about swapping out my heavy-ish Chacos for extremely lightweight birkenstock plastic sandals. I think it was as I was leaving home that I made the decision to stick with the tried and true Chacos. And everything was fine. Last year I bought a new Osprey pack, thinking I would finally put my 20 year old Mountainsmith Ghost to bed. But in the end, I left the fancy new one home in the closet and was very happy.

. I should confess up front that I am usually reluctant to change things that have worked for me .
Totally agree with this — stick with what you’ve known and what has worked for you. It’s the old “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it“ approach to caminos.

Anyway, just one specific comment about lightweight packs. I know lots of people use them and love having less weight. Just make sure that the lightweight pack has enough structure in it to keep your back happy. Some of those packs look to me like sacks on straps. My lower back would be screaming in an hour or so.

I’ve started from Sevilla twice — once in mid-April, once in early May. The wildflowers are just gorgeous, and the dehesa (wetlands, pasturelands, whatever the good translation is) in Extremadura is a wonderlalnd. Buen camino, Laurie

I would say - bring your pack with some gear in it to a store that sells packs. Look at the packs, put some weight in them - and try them out and compare them to your pack in terms of fit and comfort. I prefer to go with lighter packs when I can - but if lighter means less comfortable - it isn't worth the weight saved. I love my 30L Osprey Tempest - and am actually going to bring a 24L on my next Camino - but I won't need a lot of gear since I can only travel late May-July months.

Edited to add - my 24L actually weighs the same, if not slightly more than my 30L pack surprisingly - but by brining a smaller pack I will still save on weight since I can't fill it beyond the 24L of space - so there is the capacity to consider as well as pack weight.

I prefer non-goretex trail runners unless I am expecting a high likelihood of snow - but even then - I have been transitioning to bringing a pair of waterproof socks with my trail runners for snow days when I hike. Personal choice though - again - you need to try any boots/ shoes out before you go to be sure they work for your feet. I love my Altra Lone Peak trail runners - but even just switching to their Olympus for my last Camino meant I had blisters (small and manageable - but I still went back to Lone Peaks).
I always bring a lightweight rain jacket because it can also be an additional layer for wind protection and/or warmth as needed. But when it is warm and rainy - the umbrella comes in handy since rain jackets tend to make you sweat. In heavy rains I used both on my first Camino. The umbrella as you said is also great for sun. But if you need to save weight - the umbrella can easily be left behind. I am more likely to bring it in hot months of June/July/August.

And enjoy your Camino!

Totally agree with this — stick with what you’ve known and what has worked for you. It’s the old “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it“ approach to caminos.
I agree with Peregrina 2000 about if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have worn the same brand of trail runners on all of my caminos, Brooks Cascadias. A size larger and wider.
Having said that I have never worn boots but observationally I have seen more people with more and more severe blisters in boots than with trail runners. But there is no scientific evidence except my eyes to back this statement up.
I walked the VDLP in mid October to early December 2021 from Sevilla to Muxia and Finistere. It was still 30-35C every day for the first about 8-10 days. There is virtually no shade for quite a while. Hopefully you will not have this issue but it is a long way until you get further north and temps may (or may not) moderate. I never had a blister or a problem with my trail runners. Yes pack light. I was carrying 3 liters of water a day for the first 2 weeks plus food. The reflective umbrella is a great idea. I did not have an umbrella but I always have this hat:
It is super light, drys fast, can stick it in water and cool your head and the hat gives you lots of protection on your face and neck from the relentless sun. The neck flap can come off and you can wear it as just a baseball hat too. Love it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

We walked the VdlP last year in April/May. I posted a blog everyday and many of your questions are answered from my point of view. Check out bobscaminoblog.wordpress.com or send me and e-mail address and I’ll forward an invite.

Oh, the pre-camino jitters — I think you are doing what I frequently do — start obsessing about gear to direct what are the inevitable nerves, anxiety about the upcoming camino. A few years ago, until the last minute, I was going back and forth about swapping out my heavy-ish Chacos for extremely lightweight birkenstock plastic sandals. I think it was as I was leaving home that I made the decision to stick with the tried and true Chacos. And everything was fine. Last year I bought a new Osprey, thinking I would finally put my 20 year old Mountainsmith Ghost to bed. But in the end, I left the fancy new one home in the closet and was very happy.

Anyway, just one specific comment about lightweight packs. I know lots of people use them and love having less weight. Just make sure that the lightweight pack has enough structure in it to keep your back happy. Some of those packs look to me like sacks on straps. My lower back would be screaming in an hour or so.

I’ve started from Sevilla twice — once in mid-April, once in early May. The wildflowers are just gorgeous, and the dehesa (wetlands, pasturelands, whatever the good translation is) in Extremadura is a wonderlalnd. Buen camino, Laurie
I agree entirely.

I’ve bought countless new sacks, waterproofs and footware. At the last minute they get left at home and what I know comes with me.

I agree with Peregrina 2000 about if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have worn the same brand of trail runners on all of my caminos, Brooks Cascadias. A size larger and wider.
Having said that I have never worn boots but observationally I have seen more people with more and more severe blisters in boots than with trail runners. But there is no scientific evidence except my eyes to back this statement up.
I walked the VDLP in mid October to early December 2021 from Sevilla to Muxia and Finistere. It was still 30-35C every day for the first about 8-10 days. There is virtually no shade for quite a while. Hopefully you will not have this issue but it is a long way until you get further north and temps may (or may not) moderate. I never had a blister or a problem with my trail runners. Yes pack light. I was carrying 3 liters of water a day for the first 2 weeks plus food. The reflective umbrella is a great idea. I did not have an umbrella but I always have this hat:
It is super light, drys fast, can stick it in water and cool your head and the hat gives you lots of protection on your face and neck from the relentless sun. The neck flap can come off and you can wear it as just a baseball hat too. Love it.
I think the majority of blisters come from people who do not habitually wear boots deciding that they are needed on Camino. I wear them constantly and never have had a blister issue.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think the majority of blisters come from people who do not habitually wear boots deciding that they are needed on Camino. I wear them constantly and never have had a blister issue.
It could very well be true. As I said my statement was based entirely on my eyes. 👀🫣😄

Hello Babyboomergirl,

With regards to your footwear I would recommend you wear something like the Keen hiking/walking sandals. I've used them (I've gone through a number of pairs) for years, and I hike/walk a lot. These hiking sandals are light weight, breathable and when they get wet they dry out quickly. I've never gotten blisters while wearing them. On the down side once you have worn through the thin black hard rubber surface sole your walking on foam and the sandals are then useless.

Last edited:
Oh I am with you - pre Camino nerves even when it’s not your first. You have already had lots of advice and shares - all good.
Can I add my thoughts. I walked Sevilla to Muxia this year in autumn - not your time of year in terms of weather but given the 1000 Km and terrain of the Via I went through all the same questions re weight and weather.
Gear -
My new Osprey 36L was perfect in size and fit. Packed light and had plenty of extra room for water and food.
Feet - Stayed with my trusty Merrell MOAB 3 wide mids - they love my feet. They are great for puddles and wet ground - my feet only got soaked two or three times in two months.
Reflective umbrella was a godsend in the heat and handy in the rain for short showers
Rain gear evolved as I headed north. Initially a light shower/ wind jacket and umbrella, and then added a poncho as I headed north with more serious rain. The layers of light rain jacket and poncho worked really well and was a surprise discovery. Never got rain pants. Just wore my shorts and let my legs get wet.
Clothes - a variety of 3 merino layers on top that didn’t need to be washed every day (phew) and kept me cool and warm.
Wishing you a wonderful Camino
Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi BBG, I walked Cadiz to Muxia Apr/May last year. I took my usual pack and footwear - boots - I've used on all my caminos. Definitely get new boots as you'll put a few miles on them but stick with what you know and train in. Never needed a sun umbrella but did need my gortex gear on more than once. Training in Perth this time of year will be more than adequate. Feel free to contact directly for any questions you may have. Rita is fresh back and wrote a very detailed blog. All the very best for your prep and buen camino 👍

Having said that I have never worn boots but observationally I have seen more people with more and more severe blisters in boots than with trail runners.

Both of these statements can be true. 😉

Oh, the pre-camino jitters — I think you are doing what I frequently do — start obsessing about gear to direct what are the inevitable nerves, anxiety about the upcoming camino. A few years ago, until the last minute, I was going back and forth about swapping out my heavy-ish Chacos for extremely lightweight birkenstock plastic sandals. I think it was as I was leaving home that I made the decision to stick with the tried and true Chacos. And everything was fine. Last year I bought a new Osprey pack, thinking I would finally put my 20 year old Mountainsmith Ghost to bed. But in the end, I left the fancy new one home in the closet and was very happy.
Oh, the pre-camino jitters — I think you are doing what I frequently do — start obsessing about gear to direct what are the inevitable nerves, anxiety about the upcoming camino.
Yes that sums it up perfectly !
’ve started from Sevilla twice — once in mid-April, once in early May. The wildflowers are just gorgeous, and the dehesa (wetlands, pasturelands, whatever the good translation is) in Extremadura is a wonderlalnd. Buen camino, Laurie
Thank you

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We walked the VdlP last year in April/May. I posted a blog everyday and many of your questions are answered from my point of view. Check out bobscaminoblog.wordpress.com or send me and e-mail address and I’ll forward an invite.
Thank you. I will look forward to reading about your experience .

Yes pack light. I was carrying 3 liters of water a day for the first 2 weeks plus food. The reflective umbrella is a great idea. I did not have an umbrella but I always have this hat:
Thank you . I have a very similar hat but the back flap doesn’t detach. The convertible option is a good idea. I am anticipating carrying at least 3 litres of water as well as food and that extra weight is what started me thinking about a lighter pack.

Reflective umbrella was a godsend in the heat and handy in the rain for short showers
Rain gear evolved as I headed north. Initially a light shower/ wind jacket and umbrella, and then added a poncho as I headed north with more serious rain. The layers of light rain jacket and poncho worked really well and was a surprise discovery. Never got rain pants. Just wore my shorts and let my legs get wet.
Clothes - a variety of 3 merino layers on top that didn’t need to be washed every day (phew) and kept me cool and warm.
Wishing you a wonderful Camino
Thank you. I also have 3 merino layers and will probably wear shorts this time instead of the hiking pants I‘ve worn before on cooler caminos.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi BBG, I walked Cadiz to Muxia Apr/May last year. I took my usual pack and footwear - boots - I've used on all my caminos. Definitely get new boots as you'll put a few miles on them but stick with what you know and train in. Never needed a sun umbrella but did need my gortex gear on more than once. Training in Perth this time of year will be more than adequate. Feel free to contact directly for any questions you may have. Rita is fresh back and wrote a very detailed blog. All the very best for your prep and buen camino 👍
Thank you. I have been reading Rita’s blog which is very helpful.
I’m glad I asked the question about rain because it seems I might still need my rain gear even though I’ve been imagining it to be hot weather everyday .
After a few months of a Perth summer I’ll definitely be acclimatised to the heat !

Greetings from Queensland's Sunshine Coast.
I start walking the VdlP at the end of March. I too have walked several Caminos over the last 18 years but...I always change a few things when I embark on a new Camino.
I have replaced my old Osprey with an Osprey Eja...it feels perfect and a little lighter than my previous packs.
I've had the full gamut of footwear and, as I write this, I'm loving the feel of my new Altra Lone Peak 6. I don't want to take them off. I've gone for breathability over the waterproof options.
I have also purchased some Dirty Girl gaiters, lightweight lycra that fix perfectly to the shoes. I envisage the tracks will be dusty so these will keep dirt and gravel out of the shoes.

The umbrella...I suspect you'll need it, especially in May on the Via. I purchased a hands-free reflective EuroSchim from the Forum shop. Ivar kindly sent the Credencial with the umbrella, just in case there was a problem getting it at the cathedral in Seville just prior to Easter.

Hope this helps.
Annie

Greetings from Queensland's Sunshine Coast.
I start walking the VdlP at the end of March. I too have walked several Caminos over the last 18 years but...I always change a few things when I embark on a new Camino.
I have replaced my old Osprey with an Osprey Eja...it feels perfect and a little lighter than my previous packs.
I've had the full gamut of footwear and, as I write this, I'm loving the feel of my new Altra Lone Peak 6. I don't want to take them off. I've gone for breathability over the waterproof options.
I have also purchased some Dirty Girl gaiters, lightweight lycra that fix perfectly to the shoes. I envisage the tracks will be dusty so these will keep dirt and gravel out of the shoes.

The umbrella...I suspect you'll need it, especially in May on the Via. I purchased a hands-free reflective EuroSchim from the Forum shop. Ivar kindly sent the Credencial with the umbrella, just in case there was a problem getting it at the cathedral in Seville just prior to Easter.

Hope this helps.
Annie
Thank you. I’ve just been for a training walk in my old boots with backpack in 35’ and the boots feel really heavy so will look at other options. Something lighter with gaiters is a good idea.
Next walk I’ll take the umbrella and see if that helps to keep me cooler.
I’m also considering the Eja so will try that out in the store when I look at shoes.
I have the guide book and credential which was purchased from Ivar ready for a 2022 camino which had to be postponed.
Good luck with the rest of your planning.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are very lucky. April/May is a great time to walk the VdlP. As others have mentioned, the spring flowers are stunning, there are lots of birds and the frogs croaking is something we don't get in the UK anymore.
My experience was that it was not too hot and not too cold. But its a long way and there are big differences in climate along the route. There is a good chance it will be pretty warm in the Extremadura as you leave Seville. There is a distinct change in the climate as you walk up the hill out of Banos de Montmayor and enter Castilla y Leon. It's markedly cooler. People were still burning wood fires in their homes when I got there in late April. I was lucky that didn't encounter rain at all until fairly late in my Camino. But Galicia has a pretty wet climate and a rain jacket there would certainly be useful.

Have fun. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Thank you for all your comments.
I probably should have titled my post “ 90 days to go and seeking reassurance” 😂
I always start to have doubts about the journey as it gets closer and more so this time because I’ve spent the last three years on road trips with not much hiking.
What I’ve always liked about the Camino is I could grab my pack, put on my boots and just go but the need for new shoes/ boots has sent me researching everything 🤷‍♀️

I know the feeling only too well! ;)
Isn't it awful when we have to change gear that we have become used to :oops:
I have to stop using boots due to bad knees.

The last 3 years of planning and postponements sent me down that rabbit hole too.
Second guessing myself on gear choices and everything else. footwear, packs etc etc.
Apart from new shoes, all my gear is the same. Including a 1.4 kg pack, that I love.
I had the exact same thoughts.....

We have both done it a few times before and just need to remember that once our feet hit the Camino again, all concerns will disappear. For we are home again. And things will sort themselves out. :)

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’m starting from Seville 25 March - Although I’ve walked the northern caminos I too am undecided on some equipment choices. I usually take my 33l pack at a max 5 kg fully packed. This time I’ll fit a 1.5 litre bladder which I never bother with on northern caminos (since there are cafes and fountains every few kms), but I’ll carry the bladder plus a couple of 1/2 litre bottle this time. I transitioned to ASICS running shoes on recent walks (one run/walk) (result ~ zero blisters), so I will use a Gortex trail shoe this time (Gel Trabuco 10 Gtx). I also decided to take just thin summer down sleeping bag. I will also take a super light rain jacket and a poncho since staying dry will be more critical than on the caminos with more infrastructure and services. Apart from that I’d say don’t over analyise it (although the planning stage is quite fun I agree).

Good morning and Buen VDLP. 😀
I walked from Sevilla October/November 2022 and you have described what was in my pack.
Add one umbrella. I am remembering that I had a 1.5 litre bladder and a 600 ml bottle and never ran out of water. I read that an umbrella can reduce water consumption by 10%. And it was hot in the first two weeks - coming out of Sevilla up to 36C some afternoons . However I mostly stopped around midday when temps were still below 30C.
I wear Merrill MOAB 3 mids wide fit. They are a gortex shoe but I never had any problem with sweaty feet or blisters. I wore merino lightweight socks. I think any shoe boot sandal is fine as long as your feet love them.
Rain. I also had up with a very light rain jacket and poncho. And of course my umbrella and regular prayers to rain gods.
Umbrella for intermittent light showers. Mine was easy to fold up and tuck into my belt.
Rain jacket plus poncho - two single layers or then excellent in combination for heavy rain and cold.
Sleeping bag (425 grams) - most Albergues had blankets but I remember using it more often as I headed north into late autumn. It was a cozy friend to sleep in plus I also had a silk sleep sheet.
I also walk short stages and in the early days took a taxi and bus twice when I couldn’t break up the stages.
You sound pretty good to go. Enjoy!
Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This time I’ll fit a 1.5 litre bladder which I never bother with on northern caminos (since there are cafes and fountains every few kms), but I’ll carry the bladder plus a couple of 1/2 litre bottle this time. I transitioned to ASICS running shoes on recent walks (one run/walk) (result ~ zero blisters), so I will use a Gortex trail shoe this time (
I have been considering a bladder too and still undecided. My 34L pack came with one but I chose not to take it on previous caminos, preferring water bottles. Carrying enough water is probably my main concern this time.
I’m also thinking shoes instead of the boots I usually wear.
I still have almost 2 months to finalise everything and at least I’ll be well acclimatised to hot weather after a hot Perth summer.
I’ll look forward to reading any updates you might post along the way
Buen Camino

Add one umbrella. I am remembering that I had a 1.5 litre bladder and a 600 ml bottle and never ran out of water. I read that an umbrella can reduce water consumption by 10%. And it was hot in the first two weeks - coming out of Sevilla up to 36C some afternoons . However I mostly stopped around midday when temps were still below 30C.
Yes I’ve bought an umbrella and although I’m reluctant to add weight I’m hoping the shade it provides will be worthwhile.
Will probably also take the bladder this time.
Thank you for the information 😊

Yes I’ve bought an umbrella and although I’m reluctant to add weight I’m hoping the shade it provides will be worthwhile.
Will probably also take the bladder this time.
Thank you for the information 😊
Would never walk VDLP without and umbrella again. Was my best friend and one of my most used items.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.