• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

905 km with a 22 liter backpack...y

Time of past OR future Camino
(SJPP - Finisterre)
Hi everyone,

I'm going back to the Camino, and this time I want to complete every step of the way.

Last time I intended SJPP to SdC and ended up nixing about 250 km of the way when my knee refused to bend, (tendonitis and maybe even very early onset arthritis? I don't know! But at night my knee ached and pained and rusted and most mornings it did not want to bend.) But I did add another 90 km on to Finisterre, if that counts for anything, so I know I can do the trail for the most part. (another issue was that i only allowed 28 days).

I am coming back to do it this time, Camino Frances, every step of the way.

On these forums I read so many concerns about this piece of gear or that, what to bring or not, and all i know for me personally, this time, to make a great gigantic herculean effort of things--is that I have to trim every ounce or half ounce away. EVERY STEP means your knee or ankle bears the burden. 1 ounce after a million steps equals thousands of pounds. (Math guys feel free to leap in here and get specific--I am not a math guy, i'm a creative guy.)

I know there are older peregrinos who will laugh at my sneakers for hiking and my 22L pack.

What I'm looking to cull from all the years of Camino walking and philosophical differences here and everything, is, where can I cut away weight?

It's not OCD--it's that I am afraid my body will fail me on this next Camino--my knee will lock up, the reminder of past cycling and skateboarding injuries--but I want to give my dear knee every opportunity it might seek to prevail on this route.

I will be traveling, truly, ULTRA LIGHT. For example, I will never carry more than 500ml of water as i learned to gulp down water at each font last year and I was just fine, and water is a huge huge weight. I am looking for more ultra light hiking tips like that.

I'll need it. My knee will need it.

And I suspect I will not be alone.

Let's help the greatest number of peregrinos to make it to the end by helping them understand--no matter your ability to bear weight or your tolerance for weight or even your hiking philosophy--to file down every last ounce of weight to bear on the route.

What are your pieces of advice?!

Thanks!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wish you the very best with your next Camino Falcon. I am not able to offer any advice on light packing as I never managed to get my pack below 10 kilos but other members here have waked with minimum weight and they will advise you.
Buen pain free Camino and enjoy every step.

I wish you the very best with your next Camino Falcon. I am not able to offer any advice on light packing as I never managed to get my pack below 10 kilos but other members here have waked with minimum weight and they will advise you.
Buen pain free Camino and enjoy every step.

Thanks buddy! I'm shooting for 9-13 lbs!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well, from an older peregrino who is definitely not laughing at your sneakers and 22 litre pack, here goes:

My packing list for 21 day camino - SJPDP to SdC in September. (this will be my 10th camino walk, and make 2.5 times completed the Frances, so this list is based on 5 years camino walking experience)

Terranova Laser 20 pack
Windproof umbrella
Light slippers
Spare clothes: merino baselayer top and underpants, 2 x merino socks,light cotton PJ bottoms in case pants get soaked/evening wear
Cotton long sleeved shirt,elastic knee bandage, 3 x hankies, silk sleeping bag liner (it should be pretty hot in Sept), thin fleece.
Wash kit: 2 x muslin squares (lighter and quicker drying than travel towels),flannel, small soap, toothbrush and paste. I have a beard, so don't need shaving gear.
First aid kit: ibuprofen tabs,elastoplasts,blister packs,needle and thread, savlon, antihistamine cream,earplugs, tiger balm, nail clippers,small sunblock lotion.
Misc stuff: ipod shuffle,spare charged phone batteries,mini SA knife,small notebook and pencil,mino LED torch, string,travel washing line,50mm diam discs of sailcloth to use as sink plugs.
Tissues,plastic bags,sunglasses,buff,mobile phone, guide book, documents etc,
small embroidery kit to while away those rainy evenings, 2 x 500ml water bottles

Total weight, INCLUDING 1 litre of water and 300grms of breakfast bars = just under 4kgs.
Beat that!!

Hope this helps:-
Below does not include water or food as I don't normally carry food, just 2 x 500ml water bottles from store as I stop at bars along the way to inject some cash into the local economy while enjoying what they have to offer!

My pack weighs 360 grams. It does not have a frame or a waist belt and is neither waterproof nor has a bag cover. Contents are in freezer food bags and clothes are in a dry bag.
The pack is actually a 35L one so I nowhere near fill it and have plenty of room for convenience and presents at the end.

Merril sandals
2 x (Socks, boxers, short sleeved T-shirt)
Shorts
Soft Shell coat
Lightweight raincoat
Thin gloves for cold mornings
Toiletries (all-in-one Travel Wash shampoo, toothbrush/paste, razor), tissues and a small solid perfume (well even I can be considerate to others)
Chamois leather for a towel
Scissors, nail clippers/file, tweezers, cotton
Savlon, Voltarol, Vaseline, Vic nasal stick, lip balm, spare combs and toothbrush (they do get lost don't they?)
Sea to Summit day bag (35g) for washing/shopping
Nappy pins and plug
Compeed, plasters, Ibuprofen, Rennies (indigestion tablets - we all get it occasionally don't we?)
Phone charger lead, journal (small)
Silk sleeping bag liner, glass case

Total 4.1k - plus the set of clothes I am wearing of course!

Oh yes - also 20 litres of Helium!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, from an older peregrino who is definitely not laughing at your sneakers and 22 litre pack, here goes:

My packing list for 21 day camino - SJPDP to SdC in September. (this will be my 10th camino walk, and make 2.5 times completed the Frances, so this list is based on 5 years camino walking experience)

Terranova Laser 20 pack
Windproof umbrella
Light slippers
Spare clothes: merino baselayer top and underpants, 2 x merino socks,light cotton PJ bottoms in case pants get soaked/evening wear
Cotton long sleeved shirt,elastic knee bandage, 3 x hankies, silk sleeping bag liner (it should be pretty hot in Sept), thin fleece.
Wash kit: 2 x muslin squares (lighter and quicker drying than travel towels),flannel, small soap, toothbrush and paste. I have a beard, so don't need shaving gear.
First aid kit: ibuprofen tabs,elastoplasts,blister packs,needle and thread, savlon, antihistamine cream,earplugs, tiger balm, nail clippers,small sunblock lotion.
Misc stuff: ipod shuffle,spare charged phone batteries,mini SA knife,small notebook and pencil,mino LED torch, string,travel washing line,50mm diam discs of sailcloth to use as sink plugs.
small embroidery kit to while away those rainy evenings, 2 x 500ml water bottles

Total weight, INCLUDING 1 litre of water and 300grms of breakfast bars = just under 4kgs.
Beat that!!

4 kgs...well done. Yeehaw!!!

I try to travel as light as possible for the same reason - plus it is a good exercise for other parts of life, to experience how little you actually need. (I now get my materialist fix by colour coordinating instead).
When I came home from my last solo camino in October last year, I managed to fit my un-packing list - the stuff I came home with less the stuff I had found I didn't really need - into a Tempest 20 daypack. That meant leaving the sleeping bag because of the bulk of it, but it only weighs 600g compared to my liner bag at 250g, so I would choose to take it again at the same time of year. I suppose I could rearrange and rethink and still fit it in though. Oh no this is starting to feel like a challenge ...
I am now in theory (on the spreadsheet) with my 30L Tempest and sleeping bag, down to about 6.5 kgs FSO (from skin out), ie everything I wear as well as carry. It is eminently doable. Good luck!

1) I want to roam this world free and open. I want to experience it fully.

2) I want to support others in their dream to travel our fine world too. I want to help our gorgeous world be accessible to all.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ai ai ai Peregrino Falcon You said you had problems with your knees? If I was you I would begin by buying a "good pair" of hiking shoes not a pair of sneakers. Don't be cheap invest in a good pair of shoes ( + or - $200) is there cheaper shoes? You bet it's worth to find out that your $80 shoes did not make it and neither did you? No in my opinion. Well also dry your feet when changing socks twice a day the rest is just living the dream. :)

Just my two cents, best wishes
Zzotte

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@zzotte lightweight runners or sandals are my shoes of choice and it has nothing to do with price. Some people (like me) just find them more comfortable. Different strokes for different folks.

@zzotte lightweight runners or sandals are my shoes of choice and it has nothing to do with price. Some people (like me) just find them more comfortable. Different strokes for different folks.

Very true indeed Kanga, as I see you have done a great deal of caminos, I'm guessing that you never quit because of knee issues correct? But I see your point.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
However, if the problem is knees, flimsy footwear may be part of the problem. I have flat feet, and footwear is everything. Without arch and ankle support, I would be nearly immobile! I agree that price is not the best indicator.

I'm one of those who always walks with two sticks and has never worried about the weight of my pack. I think it tends to weigh in at about 8 kilos before water and food. This year, I had some knee pain after a couple of days of very steep downhills, specifically, the downhill from the Monastery of San Juan de la Peña (a KILLER) and then the descent from Somport, less steep but pretty pronounced in parts. It was a gradual thing, it really didn´t make itself well known until we had finished the Camino Aragonés and were in Pamplona. It didn´t stop me from continuing, but I did slow down and reduce my daily kms. I also started taking an anti-inflammatory recommended to me. I had some discomfort all the way into Santiago, but things weren´t getting worse, so I kept at it.

I´ve been home for a week and still have some cracking in the knee as well as a very mild soreness, but I´m finding that cycling and working out on the elliptical are helping (at least that´s what I think).

Long story short -- since I already use poles and have very cushy silicone orthotics in my boots, there seems to be only one thing left to try to keep the knee injury at bay -- next year will be the year I pay strict attention to pack weight!

I will be indecent enough to say generally and not to anyone in particular in this thread, that four ounces of body weight is the same as four ounces in the pack. Pack weight is something you can reduce simply by tossing out an object, but losing body weight can also be quite beneficial!! :oops:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You are right, I also have flat feet ( as a board) :) and use orthotics, and pacer poles ( I need all the help I can get) but I have found that the cheap Chinese made shoes first they don't last 300km second they never fit me right, however the more expensive, Italian made, or German made shoes ( low cut hikers) not only lasts fits nicely now of course is an exception for everything if one only walks 10 to 15 km per day I guess flip flops will do haha

Laurie I was carrying more weight than usual this year (that tent!) and yet my knees were fine. They creaked and complained as usual, but no more than they do going up and down stairs at home. But if I think about it, maybe it helped losing a bit of body weight beforehand. And for the first time ever ..... ever....training.

Laurie I was carrying more weight than usual this year (that tent!) and yet my knees were fine. They creaked and complained as usual, but no more than they do going up and down stairs at home. But if I think about it, maybe it helped losing a bit of body weight beforehand. And for the first time ever ..... ever....training.

Hi, Kanga, I´ve always been lucky with my knees up till this year. But since I´ve already done two of the things that can help save the knees (use poles and have good shock absorption in my shoes), I'm just thinking that the only trick left for me to try is to lighten my pack. My thought is that training doesn´t help prevent knee injury, though my PT tells me that all the cycling and elliptical workouts I do should mean I have really strengthened the muscles around my knee so that I shouldn't get injured so often. I think maybe this is just something that comes with age and arthritis, but I will take any suggestions at all on how to fight those two demons!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi everyone,

I'm going back to the Camino, and this time I want to complete every step of the way.
What are your pieces of advice?!​

My advice is to follow your excellent plan!
A friend on this forum walked the Camino with a daypack and little gear.
She made it fine and returned to work as a hospitalera on the Aragones.
Most of us don't use half the stuff we drag along.
Go unburdened ... enjoy yourself.
That's my advice!

Hi, Kanga, I´ve always been lucky with my knees up till this year. But since I´ve already done two of the things that can help save the knees (use poles and have good shock absorption in my shoes), I'm just thinking that the only trick left for me to try is to lighten my pack. My thought is that training doesn´t help prevent knee injury, though my PT tells me that all the cycling and elliptical workouts I do should mean I have really strengthened the muscles around my knee so that I shouldn't get injured so often. I think maybe this is just something that comes with age and arthritis, but I will take any suggestions at all on how to fight those two demons!

Getting older isn't for sissies, is it?
I can't believe how long it's taken for my ankle to heal.
And some days, it still acts up.
I think the key to fighting age and arthritis is to just keep moving, and yes, lighten our load.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used a 24 L pack on the via de la plata, and it was fine. The thing that got me though was I had to put in everything just so, no more just throwing everything in, as on my first camino when leaving in a timely matter, or extra space for hauling food. I have decided to go back to the 30l as it actually didn't weigh much more and was easier to get things in and out of, without feeling like I was doing a puzzle. Maybe that just means 24was too small for me, but my advice would be to check how easy it is to get up, put everything in and out the door. Also, if you haven't yet bought your 22pack make sure to check the weight, some smaller packs can be just as heavy as larger ones, which surprised me when I was shopping for them.

@Peregrino Falcon - what month are you planning to go, and what do you have lined up so far? Then we can make specific suggestions for cutting weight. Also, as has been pointed out, reducing stress with poles and appropriate rest are likely more important than a few grams of weight.

I walked the Via de la Plata from Seville to Zamora in May this year with a Deuter 20 litre backpack... 4 kgs (without water) and I had everything I needed... I also walked the Camino Vadiniense and Salvador in the last 2 years with the same 20 litre backpack and same weight... I think most pilgrims carry far too much gear.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Via de la Plata from Seville to Zamora in May this year with a Deuter 20 litre backpack... 4 kgs (without water) and I had everything I needed... I also walked the Camino Vadiniense and Salvador in the last 2 years with the same 20 litre backpack and same weight... I think most pilgrims carry far too much gear.

I'd love to see your packing list?

Why chance an injury and another premature end to your Camino? Consider using one of the luggage transfer services.
If I was previously injured so badly that I couldn't even bend my knee I wouldn't hesitate to use the service.
Just my $0.02

Ron

Why chance an injury and another premature end to your Camino? Consider using one of the luggage transfer services.
If I was previously injured so badly that I couldn't even bend my knee I wouldn't hesitate to use the service.
Just my $0.02

Ron
But again why not just flight direct to Santiago, and spare the space at albergues. No offense to the seriously hurt or ill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That means knowing where you are staying - and most albergues don't allow booking, they are first come, first served. So you have to make sure you have your booking sorted. And you'd have to carry your water, snacks, rain gear, first aid kit and a fleece anyway - at least - so there is not a huge amount of difference between a lightweight full kit and a daypack, but the lightweight kit gives you more freedom and flexibility. I would rather pack light and have the ability to take things as they come than send a small amount forward and then have to pay for the service, the (often more expensive) accommodation and also have to make my way there to catch up with my luggage.

Obviously unless you need the transport because you have medical problems (or just want to, not my business).

Hi everyone,

Dear Peregrino Falcon,
your desire to complete 'every step of the way' is weighing very heavily on you.

If instead you could be content with doing the best that you can within your own limitations I feel sure that you would have a much happier Camino.

By the way, Who is doing the counting? not God!. Not Santiago! Who?

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm so impressed by your low weight on your backpacks. I know that I have a heavy camera equipment(1180 g with everything belonging to the camera) with me and carry a lot of gluten free food (885 g) from home but even without them I end up with over 6 kg on my back and that is without water as well. But I guess It's a good thing that I carry a lot with a lighter backpack I would walk even faster :) With water added I'l carry something between 9-10 kg. I know that I have some "unnecessary" items such as my phone+charger, my Garmin+charger, the charger for my MS-band. I'll also carry a pair of sandals and walk in another pair (I have used the pair I walk in for about 400 km and they are quote worn out so they will not last the whole way I think and the new pair is the same sort and Im not sure if they would last the whole way either. I will switch between them during the day so I can break in the new pair. I have also a quite heavy "first aid kit" but I also know that a lot of other pilgrims only have very little so I'm used to provide stuff to others.

After one too many Caminos with the "suggest packing list" I have opted to finish this year like Al. I am going to walk with the minimum of weight in what used to be my "day pack" it will include one change of clothes, a poncho, the basic medicinal supplies and all of it will be wrapped in one plastic bag.

I knew this would make me turn on my packing list again. And I liked it so much, the sarong and the 195g merino cardi for the evening ... But I also like looking at things from new angles, thinking outside the box (or pack, as it were) and just toying with possibilities. I wonder if anyone has walked with running tights, merino tunics (sun dress/night dress/shower wrap/going out) and a fleece instead of trousers and long and short sleeve tops? It's a lot lighter ... :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone,

Last time I intended SJPP to SdC and ended up nixing about 250 km of the way when my knee refused to bend, (tendonitis and maybe even very early onset arthritis? I don't know! But at night my knee ached and pained and rusted and most mornings it did not want to bend.) But I did add another 90 km on to Finisterre, if that counts for anything, so I know I can do the trail for the most part. (another issue was that i only allowed 28 days).

On these forums I read so many concerns about this piece of gear or that, what to bring or not, and all i know for me personally, this time, to make a great gigantic herculean effort of things--is that I have to trim every ounce or half ounce away. EVERY STEP means your knee or ankle bears the burden. 1 ounce after a million steps equals thousands of pounds. (Math guys feel free to leap in here and get specific--I am not a math guy, i'm a creative guy.)

I know there are older peregrinos who will laugh at my sneakers for hiking and my 22L pack.

What I'm looking to cull from all the years of Camino walking and philosophical differences here and everything, is, where can I cut away weight?

It's not OCD--it's that I am afraid my body will fail me on this next Camino--my knee will lock up, the reminder of past cycling and skateboarding injuries--but I want to give my dear knee every opportunity it might seek to prevail on this route.

I will be traveling, truly, ULTRA LIGHT. For example, I will never carry more than 500ml of water as i learned to gulp down water at each font last year and I was just fine, and water is a huge huge weight. I am looking for more ultra light hiking tips like that.

Let's help the greatest number of peregrinos to make it to the end by helping them understand--no matter your ability to bear weight or your tolerance for weight or even your hiking philosophy--to file down every last ounce of weight to bear on the route.

Thanks!!!

Now you have me thinking about getting the Deuter Airlite 22 instead of my Gregory Z30, I started with a 46L Osprey Exos pack at 10kg, by the end of the Camino, I was down to 8kg, now that I know what I really don't need to bring, I'm down to 6.4kg with a liter of water and Z-Poles stuffed inside inside my Gregory Z30. You've walked it so you really know what you are willing to carry.

I knew this would make me turn on my packing list again. And I liked it so much, the sarong and the 195g merino cardi for the evening ... But I also like looking at things from new angles, thinking outside the box (or pack, as it were) and just toying with possibilities. I wonder if anyone has walked with running tights, merino tunics (sun dress/night dress/shower wrap/going out) and a fleece instead of trousers and long and short sleeve tops? It's a lot lighter ... :D

Hello Nidarosa, last year I walked from Lourdes to Santiago in running thighs, under my shorts, let me tale you I looked like the ugliest supper hero you had ever seen until today my wife laughs at me when we talk about the camino :( but here is my take, you can wash it and dries in less then an hour, when it rained which it did a lot you are not water logged, ( I also carried a umbrella for sun and rain works like a charm ) when I got cold it become my a leg warmer under my ultra light pants, as for a shirt I had a short sleeve and a long sleeve ExOfficio t s. 4 pairs of socks ( I change socks at mid walk) toiletries, 16 oz 15 f sleeping bag, first aid kit and a pair of crocs all under 12lb that allowed me to cover 35 to 40 miles per day I hope this helps

Zzotte

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You don't get a Compostela if you fly! ;)
Well one should not get one either if uses trains, taxis, buses, transports etc, now days turisgrinos all dress up in GQ peregrine style don't even break a sweat and then in the allbergues aside from taking a bed they have the corrones to brag how much they "walked" and they do get a compustela. Let me end here I think I said more then I should I promised my self I would be more tolerant and besides I respect this forum.

Zzotte

You are right, I also have flat feet ( as a board) :) and use orthotics, and pacer poles ( I need all the help I can get) but I have found that the cheap Chinese made shoes first they don't last 300km second they never fit me right, however the more expensive, Italian made, or German made shoes ( low cut hikers) not only lasts fits nicely now of course is an exception for everything if one only walks 10 to 15 km per day I guess flip flops will do haha
There is a huge difference betwwen cheaply made Chinese shoes any shoes that are 200$ plus. Are many sturdy quality trail runners and walking sandals for much less.

I don't find any reference to you using trekking poles, but they will reduce stress on your knees far more than eliminating a few ounces of weight!

Yes, I am taking some this year. That was the mistake I made last year--thinking I didn't need them.

Ai ai ai Peregrino Falcon You said you had problems with your knees? If I was you I would begin by buying a "good pair" of hiking shoes not a pair of sneakers. Don't be cheap invest in a good pair of shoes ( + or - $200) is there cheaper shoes? You bet it's worth to find out that your $80 shoes did not make it and neither did you? No in my opinion. Well also dry your feet when changing socks twice a day the rest is just living the dream. :)

Just my two cents, best wishes
Zzotte

Hi, thanks for your input. Can you tell me what you mean about hiking shoes helping out the knee? How do they specifically help the knee? (Cost is not a factor.)

I did well with my running shoes last year and thought the cushioning was probably helpful. The knee issue has more to do with bearing weight on the downhills, as I am built more like a long distance runner than a stout mountain dwarf.

There is a huge difference betwwen cheaply made Chinese shoes any shoes that are 200$ plus. Are many sturdy quality trail runners and walking sandals foe much less.

You are correct, I guess all depends on you feet, not all shoes can accommodate orthotics my last camino I made with a dolomite low cut hiker great shoes given my weight and shoe size I'm very happy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, thanks for your input. Can you tell me what you mean about hiking shoes helping out the knee? How do they specifically help the knee? (Cost is not a factor.)

I did well with my running shoes last year and thought the cushioning was probably helpful. The knee issue has more to do with bearing weight on the downhills, as I am built more like a long distance runner than a stout mountain dwarf.

Well first lets talk about the shoes and then the downhill walking, of course in the camino you will see people walking in all sorts of footwear also you will see people with all sorts of foot problems, like tires on your car the is the only thing you have between you and the road so invest as much as you can afford now let's see: considering that on a flat ground the pressure ( impact) on your joints ( knees) is 1 1/2 times your body weight up to two or three times going up and down hill a good shoe will go a long ways in protecting your joints starting by not compressing, it should support and give you a little bounce, it should also be supportive enough to handle pronation, accommodate orthotics, have sufficient sole to take the impact of road ( asphalt walking) rocks etc ( you are not hunting goats either) any way just the repetive impact of walking miles after miles in poor shoes direct affects the the hips, knees, lower back, neck etc. a good pair of shoes will give you that protection remember you will need your knees when you get old. Now downhill, oh downhill it's our worst nightmare, the trick is to walk it down very slow and zig zag, ( not in a exaggerated way) I know it sounds crazy but it works., if you are going to use trek poles please use then correctly think of a trek pole as a four wheel drive but if you use incorrectly you will do more harm then good
If you are not accustomed to long distance walking, training and conditioning is important in building muscle to protect your knees and muscle endurance, if you did not have the time to prepare don't despair, training on the camino can be done, take it easy not walk too fast stop often listen to your body and don't get caught trying to keep up with the camino racers, and please please stretch stretch stretch stretch, ice your knees at the end of your day and any opportunity you have ( stop by a grocery store buy frozen veggies it works
And off course lighten your load but you are doing that already.

above all have fun

Zzotte

I'd love to see your packing list?

My packing list;
- Deuter 20 litre backpack
- lightweight zip off walking trousers
- 2 x dry flo tshirts
- 2 x socks
- 2 x underwear
- Microfibre towel
- Silk sleeping sheet
- Flip flops
- minimum toiletries
- disposable light poncho
- iPhone & charger
- 6 clothes pegs
- 6 safety pins

While walking I wear;
- dry flo tshirt
- socks
- underwear
- walking shoes
- sun hat

I also carry a lightweight fleece which I wear around my waist while walking... total weight of backpack 4 kgs.

Paul.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A small thought. I used a 20lt pack on my first Camino and could not fit everything into it easily, and not at all on a hot day (fleece strapped outside). No sleeping bag and short of a layer on cold days. The next Camino I had a 25+5 lt pack. The pack itself weighed the same as the smaller one, it was much easier to pack (everyting went in OK) and fitted better too. Total weight was kept down to 6.5kg including pack and water but no sleeping bag. Happy pilgrim, happy knees and feet. The boots I wore this time weighed 250gms less than last time and that was a great help too.

The slightly larger pack also meant that there was room for small extra items in it from Santiago.

A lot of good suggestions given. I'm not giving advice just stating what works for me.
On my first few caminos I carried my Dueter 42L Pro at about 12 to 15 lbs. It was OK, but still more weight and unnecessary extra stuff that I didn't use. Rain jacket wind breaker, 3rd Tee shirt,Long pants , keen hiking sandals. I donated them in Pamplona.
The sea to summit ultra sil poncho was the cats meow for me. Weighs almost nothing and is a good piece of rain gear for those damp days in Galacia. I wore kuhl hiking shorts the minute I arrived in Madrid until I got back to the states . I usually travel the Camino in April and early May ,so the weather is not an issue for me. I now use an LL Bean European Ruck Sac. It weighs 1 lbs.9 Oz , it is a 33L and is plenty big for my stuff with room to spare . My Dueter weighs 3 lbs and change empty, so I saved a couple of pounds by switching. Although the Bean pack has no frame, it is very comfortable to carry all day if not over loaded. I have used it for several extended forays with out any complaints. My Camino pack weighs in at just over 7 lbs
Not counting 1/2 L of H2O. I don't count water as weight any way. It is all a personal choice and what works for some may not do for others. I don't care for the little packs, as when they are stuffed full with no room, it is like carrying a sock full of rocks. I have an REI flash 22L and it is full with just a fleece jacket and a couple pair of socks. Definitely too small for my use. Hope this is helpful . A good pair of insoles may help with the knee issues. Mine are from REI cost is around $85 samolies and they are worth twice that to me. I have not had any foot issues on any of my treks. I normally average 25 to 30 klms a day and my feet are happy.
Buen Camino!

Looks great!
As long as you have good shoes, you'll be fine.
Carry so little weight will be a bonus!
I love NB Trail Runners with Motion Control inserts.
Have a Buen Camino!

AnnieSantiago, you must have read my mind, I just sent you a PM asking about New Balance shoes, what model of shoe you recommend?

thanks,
Paul.

AnnieSantiago, you must have read my mind, I just sent you a PM asking about New Balance shoes, what model of shoe you recommend?

thanks,
Paul.

I just replied :)
They change the model numbers each year.
Last Camino I wore a 1540 so that's what I'll buy again this year.
They really held up well.

One other thing about the NB Trail Runners.
About two Caminos ago, my NB shoes wore out around the collar really early.
I used duct tape on them to finish up the Camino.
This distressed me, and in doing research I discovered that the particular ones I had purchased (on The Clymb) had been made in Vietnam.
Most NB are made in the USA.
I think one reason these were on sale was because of this issue with the collar fabric wearing out.
So I'd say to do some research and be sure the NB shoes you purchase are made in the USA.

That is the only pair I've had trouble with and the shoe part was ok, it was just around the top that it wore out by the end of the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One other thing about the NB Trail Runners.
About two Caminos ago, my NB shoes wore out around the collar really early.
I used duct tape on them to finish up the Camino.
This distressed me, and in doing research I discovered that the particular ones I had purchased (on The Clymb) had been made in Vietnam.
Most NB are made in the USA.
I think one reason these were on sale was because of this issue with the collar fabric wearing out.
So I'd say to do some research and be sure the NB shoes you purchase are made in the USA.

That is the only pair I've had trouble with and the shoe part was ok, it was just around the top that it wore out by the end of the Camino.
Cheers Annie.

I've worn NB trailrunners for the past 5 years, 10 caminos. As Annie says, the numbers change each year - why can't they stick with what works?? Like the 573's I've worn for 3 years, now discontinued...I'm now on 610's. The ones bought here in UK all seem to be made in Vietnam, but none the worse for that.

Now you have me thinking about getting the Deuter Airlite 22 instead of my Gregory Z30, I started with a 46L Osprey Exos pack at 10kg, by the end of the Camino, I was down to 8kg, now that I know what I really don't need to bring, I'm down to 6.4kg with a liter of water and Z-Poles stuffed inside inside my Gregory Z30. You've walked it so you really know what you are willing to carry.

Deuter Airlite 22 weighs, I think, in excess of 1 kilogramme, a lot if you're hoping to cut down carried weight. Terranova Laser 20 weighs 210 grms....say no more, and although it does not, of course, have a frame (who needs it when carrying less than 5 kilos?), it does have a waist belt, with handy pockets. It isn't waterproof - what pack is? - but everyone puts their stuff in plastic bags anyway.

Last edited:
This August I will be starting my third Camino. The best advice I can offer (I also deal with aching knees, though not nearly as bad as what you've described) is 1) to have a good pack, test one with waist belt that rides around your hips and one that rides above your hips. I find that the type that fasten around my hips is more comfortable than the ones that ride above my hips.

2) Use trekking poles, two of them. When used properly they can help to alleviate about 25% of the weight of the pack on your body. Use them every second, every day. They are also wonderful for assisting yourself down hill so that you don't over stress your knees.

3) Wear shoes with good support. Not just during the day while hiking, but afterwards as well. If you bring along a pair of good sandals for the evenings, ones with good support that can help to alleviate issues with your feet and knees as well. My first camino I suffered every single day with knee and ankle pain. By the time we reached Carrion de los Condes, I was ready to go home. I found a sporting goods store near our albergue and went in and purchased a pair of the Chirchua brand sandals (Teva-like with very good arch support). They transformed the rest of my trip. Two mornings later I realized I didn't hurt anymore in the mornings. My knees felt good, my ankles felt good and my heels felt good.

My pack that first year with all my gear was 15 pounds, approx. 6.8 kilos. I was 49 years old and over 100 lbs overweight. I firmly believe that good footwear, the right pack and using trekking poles made the difference for me.

Good luck and Buen Camino

Al, what was your winter pack and contents? I am thinking about going again in early February. Thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'n not Al but here's my late autumn/winter 6.5 kilo kit.
Thank you so much M! I have read all your Camino adventures. I was aware of your list and was going to compare and contrast wit AL.
I went this year beginning at the end of February but had only two arguably bad days. I was way over packed .
Are you going again this year? Thanks again! Tom

My packing list;
- Deuter 20 litre backpack
- 2 x dry flo tshirts
- 2 x socks
- 2 x underwear
- Microfibre towel
- Silk sleeping sheet
- Flip flops
- minimum toiletries
- disposable light poncho
- iPhone & charger
- 6 clothes pegs
- 6 safety pins

While walking I wear;
- dry flo tshirt
- socks
- underwear
- walking shoes
- sun hat

I also carry a lightweight fleece which I wear around my waist while walking... total weight of backpack 4 kgs.

Paul.
I am presuming that the stuff you were is not included in the 4kgs. And that the fleece is not also?
How did the disposable poncho work out? No pack cover, how did you stop the stuff in your pack getting wet.

[...] I think maybe this is just something that comes with age and arthritis, but I will take any suggestions at all on how to fight those two demons!
I understand this!:eek: As we get older it's ever more difficult to "mold" our body (understatement). We should go a bit slower and less "I can do this once again".
The beauty of our age is that we have experience and more time to savour those circumstances at our own speed (and weight of backpack "solutions" :rolleyes:).

Hope this helps:-
Below does not include water or food as I don't normally carry food, just 2 x 500ml water bottles from store as I stop at bars along the way to inject some cash into the local economy while enjoying what they have to offer!

My pack weighs 360 grams. It does not have a frame or a waist belt and is neither waterproof nor has a bag cover. Contents are in freezer food bags and clothes are in a dry bag.
The pack is actually a 35L one so I nowhere near fill it and have plenty of room for convenience and presents at the end.

Merril sandals
2 x (Socks, boxers, short sleeved T-shirt)
Shorts
Soft Shell coat
Lightweight raincoat
Thin gloves for cold mornings
Toiletries (all-in-one Travel Wash shampoo, toothbrush/paste, razor), tissues and a small solid perfume (well even I can be considerate to others)
Chamois leather for a towel
Scissors, nail clippers/file, tweezers, cotton
Savlon, Voltarol, Vaseline, Vic nasal stick, lip balm, spare combs and toothbrush (they do get lost don't they?)
Sea to Summit day bag (35g) for washing/shopping
Nappy pins and plug
Compeed, plasters, Ibuprofen, Rennies (indigestion tablets - we all get it occasionally don't we?)
Phone charger lead, journal (small)
Silk sleeping bag liner, glass case

Total 4.1k - plus the set of clothes I am wearing of course!

Oh yes - also 20 litres of Helium!
Al, what was your winter pack and contents? I am thinking about going again in early February. Thanks

I am presuming that the stuff you were is not included in the 4kgs. And that the fleece is not also?
How did the disposable poncho work out? No pack cover, how did you stop the stuff in your pack getting wet.

The clothes I wear and my fleece are not included in the 4kg, actually it was 3.5 kg... see attached photo of when I weighed backpack before heading off on the Camino... the poncho worked out fine when it rained... and it covered my backpack also so no need for a separate backpack cover...

Attachments

• backpack on scales.jpg
    backpack on scales.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 17
The clothes I wear and my fleece are not included in the 4kg, actually it was 3.5 kg... see attached photo of when I weighed backpack before heading off on the Camino... the poncho worked out fine when it rained... and it covered my backpack also so no need for a separate backpack cover...
P, I can't access your attached files. I do not know what I am doing wrong. Thanks Tom

Terranova Laser 20 pack
Windproof umbrella
Light slippers

Beat that!!

Hello, what kind of umbrella do you bring? Do you mean you take that instead of a poncho and/or rain pants/rain jacket? Thanks!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
W
Hello, what kind of umbrella do you bring? Do you mean you take that instead of a poncho and/or rain pants/rain jacket? Thanks!

Bog standard windproof umbrella - vented canopy to stop it blowing inside out. Bought from UK outlet via national paper advert for £14 - buy one, get one free - I got a pale blue one, pink one for my wife. (pale blue, as last time I used it as a parasol more than a raincover)

W

Bog standard windproof umbrella - vented canopy to stop it blowing inside out. Bought from UK outlet via national paper advert for £14 - buy one, get one free - I got a pale blue one, pink one for my wife. (pale blue, as last time I used it as a parasol more than a raincover)

Thanks! How much does it weigh? Did the umbrella suffice? (No rain pants/jacket etc.?)

Yes, umbrella only, no poncho (heaven forbid - you'd have to pay me serious money to wear one of those...:rolleyes:), no rainpants, no waterproof jacket. Weighs 300grms.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!!!
I've heard that some pilgrims use the taxi service to ship their backpacks ahead, to a specified albergue and just keep the minimum on them to make it there. I don't think there is any shame in doing this, especially if your knees or back really need the break.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back