• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

99 steps

LGLG

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP - Finisterre (2005) ; LePuy - Muxia (2007) ; Porto - SC. (2009) planning Lourdes- SC (2018)
A Sufi story that keeps me going...,
A devoted Muslim ant wanted to make its pilgrimage to Mecca during the holy month of Ramadan, The problem was, the ant was living in London, and being so small could not even contemplate how many steps it would have to take to get there. Even worse, the ant also suffered from a broken leg...
But committed nevertheless, the ant set off, limping along the streets of London for several days, and as it was looking for food after sunset, it struggled into a brightly lit train station. Having found some discarded crumbs, exhaustion overtook the poor ant and it crawled into a crack for a safe place to sleep amidst all the foot traffic.
As it turned out, the crack was in a suitcase belonging to a Muslim man on his way to ... you guess it, Mecca.
The Sufi lesson ? If you take one step towards God, God takes 99 towards you.
(Use your own version or substitute for the word God, if you like ... but Camino serendipity works exactly like that.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I told Grandma I was going to walk to Finis Terre she said asked why. I said it was because that was what we did, our people did, what she'd done. She said "silly b*gger, I asked why are you going to Fisterra."

I think your ant may have had a stronger faith than I did. Thank you for sharing.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@LGLG
I read your story rapidly and missed the lesson at the end, because I was in the midst of getting a mass of laundry done after our laundry was out of order for weeks. So I saw it a little differently. Yes, I often see myself as small and broken and a determined pilgrim nonetheless. But I also see myself as someone who sometimes has the ability to respond to the brokenness of another pilgrim, perhaps to carry them along their Way for a while. And I believe that we sometimes do this for one another without knowing it. Like all parables, there is a lot of depth in your story. Thank you.

It is little known, but centuries ago the snails had
their own camino. They only traveled to Santiago from
about 1 km out, but it still took them several months.
The tale is told of a group of snails that was set
upon by a group of turtle bandits. The turtles beat
the snails and stole their equipment.

The snails moved as quickly as they could to report
the assault to the Guardia Civil. When the policeman
asked the snails for a description of the bandits,
they replied, "We really cannot say. It all happened
so fast."

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is little known, but centuries ago the snails had
their own camino. They only traveled to Santiago from
about 1 km out, but it still took them several months.
The tale is told of a group of snails that was set
upon by a group of turtle bandits. The turtles beat
the snails and stole their equipment.

The snails moved as quickly as they could to report
the assault to the Guardia Civil. When the policeman
asked the snails for a description of the bandits,
they replied, "We really cannot say. It all happened
so fast."
:):):D You’re the joker but I really loved it.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back