• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A 1948 pilgrimage

Time of past OR future Camino
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
I came across the name of Dominique Paladilhe who walked in 1948, at the age of 27, from Saintes in France via Ostabat, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Roncevaux, Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, Sahagun, and Leon to Santiago. I read only a few pages so far. He describes how he walks from Saint Michel near SJPdP to the top of the mountain where the remains of the former castle Château Pignon are located (many of us are not aware of it when we walk past) and then he remarks that he is close to the Spanish border which he is not allowed to cross here. He walks down to SJPdP again and takes the Valcarlos road because obligations for crossing national borders (formalités douanières) require him to take this road. 1948, long before the Schengen area. We don't know as much as we think about those in whose footsteps we walk ;).

Edited to add the following information: M Paladilhe's account of his pilgrimage is out of print but a pdf version is available on a local museum site:

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fabulous. Thanks for posting this link!

The link which you give appears to be for all M.Paladilhe's publications and not for a pdf version of his pilgrimage. It would be a true pleasure to access and read that pdf.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The link which you give appears to be for all M.Paladilhe's publications and not for a pdf version of his pilgrimage. It would be a true pleasure to access and read that pdf.

There is a link to a pdf - just scroll all the way down to underneath the image of the book's cover. I just downloaded the pdf and it is fine. Wonderful resource.

A couple of years on --- Thanks so much for this!!! It may take me awhile to read, and maybe my Camino French will improve!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
thank you so much for this. His french is so eloquent at such a young age. A real joy to read.

Je déjeune sous un gros arbre tandisqu'autour de moi, oies et canards s'en donnent à cœur joie, font un beau bruit à faire frémir Pierre Boulez lui-même

songs-tuckin-head-smiley.gif

Thank you for this. We used to own a house near Saintes, close to the village of Talmont where pilgrims crossed the Gironde on their way to Bayonne.

I wonder if my French is still good enough!

Edited: No, he crosses the river further down, closer to Bordeaux, at Blaye - shame, Talmont is a gem, like a mini Mont St Michel.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A great find. His French is pretty clear and seems to have been written for an intelligent high school student, taken at a reading-aloud pace. Pages 34 following for SJPP and onward. "Pesetas in the wallet..." Things have changed.

Thanks. This is great. I am embarrassed that I hadn't even heard of Saintes.
A lovely city, capital of the ancient province of Saintonge (Charente and Charent-Maritime nowadays) and home of Cognac, oysters and Pineau des Charentes a ratafia made from Cognac and raisin juice - best stored in the freezer compartment!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I came across the name of Dominique Paladilhe who walked in 1948, at the age of 27, from Saintes in France via Ostabat, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Roncevaux, Pamplona, Logroño, Burgos, Sahagun, and Leon to Santiago. I read only a few pages so far. He describes how he walks from Saint Michel near SJPdP to the top of the mountain where the remains of the former castle Château Pignon are located (many of us are not aware of it when we walk past) and then he remarks that he is close to the Spanish border which he is not allowed to cross here. He walks down to SJPdP again and takes the Valcarlos road because obligations for crossing national borders (formalités douanières) require him to take this road. 1948, long before the Schengen area. We don't know as much as we think about those in whose footsteps we walk ;).

Edited to add the following information: M Paladilhe's account of his pilgrimage is out of print but a pdf version is available on a local museum site:
I am reading it aloud to myself in French, then translating it, again aloud, in English. What an exercise! In 1948, I was an American todller growing up in Germain-en Laye whilst my Dad, a Lt Colonel with a facility for languages, attended L'Ecole du Guerre. My childhood French is opening like a creaking door and dusting itself off as I pass through it. Allons de l'avant!

Thank you for this. We used to own a house near Saintes, close to the village of Talmont where pilgrims crossed the Gironde on their way to Bayonne.

I wonder if my French is still good enough!

Edited: No, he crosses the river further down, closer to Bordeaux, at Blaye - shame, Talmont is a gem, like a mini Mont St Michel.
Read it aloud like nobody's watching/listening! Really helps!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back