• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A backpack is enough

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
When I first come back from a camino I feels waves of gratitude for a choice of clothes. And shoes. A drawer full of moisturisers, real shampoo and hair conditioner. Books. TV. A choice of saucepans in the kitchen.

Then, after a few weeks, I start to feel claustrophobic. All that stuff that surrounds me. The decluttering starts. Off to the charity shop go the clothes that I no longer wear. The bookshelf gets pruned. Face creams, cakes of soap saved from hotels, makeup bags; all get tossed. The weevils in the flour make that decision easy.

I'd like to get rid of so much more. Everything I really need fits into a backpack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kanga - I love your light tone, and it makes me smile. I also have an undying desire to down-size post camino- but I have a husband - and I don't want to down-size his life, too when he is perfectly happy status quo. I get frustrated now and then sharing the same home we have shared for years that now feels like too much; too much stuff, too much to clean, too many bathrooms.... just too much. It's not a McMansion, but it's a far cry from the peacefulness I came home with after my camino last year. Here, Here, for the number of things you really need - all which fit into what can carried on one's back. I did a silent toast with my vino tinto before posting :p

And while we think the Camino brings us closer to simplicity we spend a fortune on techincal clothing, back packs and other items. We pay small fortunes to carry an item that are just a few grams lighter. What I carry on a camino is close to 1 500 C$ of stuff I would not use back home other than at the dog run!

Sleepingbag: 200
Backpack: 20o
Shoes: 200
EVA Birkies: 50$
Macabi: 115
Pants: 150
3 merino socks: 60
pacer poles: 250
2 tech Ts: 60$
Fleece: 75$
Iphone, Ipad etc...

Yet we feel we are becoming minimalists

I am sitting in my living room tonight after a nice long hike in my favorite rugged park today (pretending I was on the Camino). In our guest room, the bed is piled with clothing I am saying goodbye to after a major post-Camino purge. After the closet and dresser, the boxes in the garage (moved here five years ago and combined households with my partner and still stuff sits out there waiting for a new home). This packrat is a changed woman! Will I ever stop missing the Camino? Already saving and planning for my second visit.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
And while we think the Camino brings us closer to simplicity we spend a fortune on techincal clothing, back packs and other items. We pay small fortunes to carry an item that are just a few grams lighter. What I carry on a camino is close to 1 500 C$ of stuff I would not use back home other than at the dog run!

Iphone, Ipad etc...

Hahaha you are so right :)

The apparent obsession of some with lighter, better, best, with brands and labels and the perfect gear for the perfect camino is a topic that has been thrashed (a word chosen carefully) on this forum more than once. But while some may only ever wear that gear on their one time, tick-off Camino others will wear those boot soles to a shine and those pack-straps to threads. The stuff I wear on Camino is the stuff I wear on all my other hikes; its the stuff I wear in the woods in mushroom season; its the stuff I wear at music festivals as I stand in the rain in the road-way keeping the traffic moving; its the stuff I litter-pick in; fish my local rivers in, and walk the dog in ;). Many walk the Camino in what they have or what they can borrow, beg and even - no, not steal.

As for minimalist: no one who owns 14 fishing rods could ever call himself a minimalist but there is no item in my wardrobe that is not worn in its purpose and no tool in my workshop that gathers dust for long and indeed one of those rods will be bent, I hope, every week of the year.

Hiking the Camino with that little bundle of absolute essentials gives a sense of freedom, of managing, surviving, thriving with the minimal of comforts. No wardrobe choices, no spare just in case, no radio in every room interconnected pour a gin turn the heating up lets plan a shopping trip the freezers got some spaces and I'm bored....

Kanga, you have reminded me - its time I cluttered up a charity shop... :D

I felt the same way after I came home from a year banging around India/Nepal in 1983-84. All my "stuff" was just so overwhelming....had a huge purge and felt almost enlightened. I still gather "stuff" (mostly books) but purge often. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have one dresser, given to me by my mother, that I'm not attached to.
However, the things ON that dresser are my treasures and these are what I drag around.
They are mostly rocks and minerals, a couple of vases that belonged to my great grandmother, and a figurine from my childhood.
I have a hard time letting go of these.

And photos...
I have 3 boxes of vintage photos of my family that I don't know what to do with.
I doubt my grandchildren will ever want them, though I do love looking through them on occasion.
They hold so many memories for me, but once I'm gone, who will want them.

My backpack and sleeping bag, a dozen books...

All the rest could go away and I'd be fine.

I have 3 boxes of vintage photos of my family that I don't know what to do with.

Hi Annie, when you have time, you could scan the photos into your computer. When I got tendonitis on the SW Coast path in England, and couldn’t walk, I stayed at my late mother’s apartment, just before it was sold, and I scanned over a thousand family photos, dating back to the 1800s. It took me over 2 weeks. I then made backups, which I gave to other family members. The orginals are now in my sister’s attic, and no longer a problem if one day they get lost or thrown out. There was a reason I got the tendonitis! Jill

Are we really living with less when we long distance walk? We can easily say that all our possessions are on our back but we rely on other's household belongings. Pots and pans, kitchen utensils food supplies, in some cases bed covers and household cleaning supplies and on and on. Rarely do we carry 11 pounds on our backs when we go to our local market or to work or to the pub.

Isnt it more of a self induced euphoria to believe life with 11 pounds is a credible goal?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You are right @Scott Sweeney, although I think we made a pretty credible attempt when we walked the Norte with a tent. Our packs were a lot heavier than we usually carry.

Are we really living with less when we long distance walk? We can easily say that all our possessions are on our back but we rely on other's household belongings. Pots and pans, kitchen utensils food supplies, in some cases bed covers and household cleaning supplies and on and on. Rarely do we carry 11 pounds on our backs when we go to our local market or to work or to the pub.

Isnt it more of a self induced euphoria to believe life with 11 pounds is a credible goal?

Great point, I suppose it's kind of like a hitch-hiker feeling like they have lightened their 'load', yet they happily get in a car that someone else pays for petrol, servicing, insurance and purchasing...and then they say they don't burden the planet by having a car. But I do totally see the point you are making Kanga, it is great to truly feel liberated by carrying the very reduced weight of our world on our shoulders, literally :)

I, too, have the same feeling of being overwhelmed with too much stuff when I return from Caminos and always go through a purging process. This year on my return I also gave up meat. I'm really not sure why. It didn't feel like a conscious choice. It just felt that I didn't need or want it. Perhaps meat felt too "heavy," after living lightly (relatively speaking) for a month.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Iphone, Ipad etc...

I fully expect to continue hiking the local trails and using most of what I'm taking on the Camino. That's why I bought a bit larger pack than needed, 58 liter, in the anticipation that I'll use it to then carry cooking gear, tent and food. Why end the pilgrimage in Spain is how I'm thinking of it.....

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back