• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A bathroom question

Lmsundaze

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (2016), CP (2017)
I am walking the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago and on to Finisterre/Muxia at the end of September. I am leaning against the coastal route because I live on the Atlantic Ocean (other side) and walk on the beach most days. BUT .. I am wondering, to put it delicately at age 71 I need to pee pretty often. Last year on the Frances it wasn't a problem, lots of facilities and with my Macabi skirt I could discreetly step off the trail and do what I needed to do. I was thinking this wouldn't be possible walking on a boardwalk. How are the facilities on the CP, and are there more on the coastal route or the central route? Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Lmsundaze, we walked the Senda Litora last year. Overall there's precious few places to leave the trail to... well you know. The way is quite developed, much of it on cobblestone or pavement. That does mean that there are quite a few restaurant or other places to stop for relief though. It should not be a problem, depending upon time of year. We found prior to 1 June many places along the beach, like after Viana do Castelo, the restaurants were not yet open for the year. You might experience the same if you go in late September?

Last edited:
Please don't allow a peeing issue from stopping you from doing a beautiful trail. Check out on Amazon a device named "Freshette" (or similar spelling) It works quite well according to the females I have spoken to that have used one on the trips I have been on.

Pee on !!!!!!!!!! (LOL) !

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just did the Portuguese, from Porto took the coast to Vila do Conde, then crossed over to the central. I wore a Macabi skirt, also. The cafes are few and far between, and I do believe in staying hydrated, so....yes, plenty of discreet places to step off the trail! And I swear, someone has actually made little side paths just for that purpose (you can tell from the tp left behind, please don't do that!!). I was walking a local trail yesterday and saw some side paths, and the first thing I thought was, oh, bathroom!! =)
btw, the central route was beautiful...I have my fill of beach here in CA so I didn't need that in Portugal. Bom caminho!

Google " Pibella" I bought one for my wife .

Edited for accuracy thank you to Tercile.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I took a FUD with me, but I think I only used it once...a Macabi skirt made it quicker, easier, and cleaner than even using the FUD! =)

I took a FUD with me, but I think I only used it once...a Macabi skirt made it quicker, easier, and cleaner than even using the FUD! =)
Same here! I walked the Camino Frances in my Macabi skirt, could pee easily and discreetly and no need for a device. I can't imagine wanting to carry something like that around.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back