• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A bed in Hornillos del Camino

Adrienne Marrone

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk 2017
I'm only days away from starting my first camino from Burgos! I haven't booked ahead but I noticed by chance that most places are booked out in Hornillos - my first night. Is that something I should worry about or are the more traditional albergues ok for walk ins?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Depending on the time of your arrival a reservation will be usefull to avoid the insecurity of finding a bed.
Have you checked all these options?
Gronze - Accomodation in Hornillos

The public albergue does not take reservations, but when filled, they will offer additional sleeping places in the sports hall. So it should still be possible to find a place to sleep there (though very basic).

Another option is to continue another 6 km to San Bol or to do a shorter stage and end in Rabe de las Calzadas.

BC
Alexandra

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Where did you 'notice'?

It's a busy month. The busiest now I think.
I can't speak for Albergues, as I don't really use them.
I think there are 2 on the way in.
Have you tried calling them?
Or emailing them?

I use a CR called Casa Rural del Abuelo which is really nice.

What night are you looking for?

Where did you 'notice'?

It's a busy month. The busiest now I think.
I can't speak for Albergues, as I don't really use them.
I think there are 2 on the way in.
Have you tried calling them?
Or emailing them?

What night are you looking for?
Thanks for your info. It's for the evening of 6 May. I noticed on booking.com but I check a few other sites and it seemed similar. If the Albergues have overflow it should be ok. Meeting Place was my plan but it is booked out. I emailed a few places but haven't heard back. I've emailed Casa Rural del Abuelo - fingers crossed! Thanks

Depending on the time of your arrival a reservation will be usefull to avoid the insecurity of finding a bed.
Have you checked all these options?
Gronze - Accomodation in Hornillos

The public albergue does not take reservations, but when filled, they will offer additional sleeping places in the sports hall. So it should still be possible to find a place to sleep there (though very basic).

Another option is to continue another 6 km to San Bol or to do a shorter stage and end in Rabe de las Calzadas.

BC
Alexandra
Thanks! That's great to know.

Thanks for your info. It's for the evening of 6 May. I noticed on booking.com but I check a few other sites and it seemed similar. If the Albergues have overflow it should be ok. Meeting Place was my plan but it is booked out. I emailed a few places but haven't heard back. I've emailed Casa Rural del Abuelo - fingers crossed! Thanks

Try calling Casa Rural del Abuelo . Maria is really nice and speaks a little English.
http://m.lacasadelabuelohornillos.webnode.es/

She even runs a small restaurant beside the house with Mum & Dad and Sister, whilst looking after her kids!
A Super Mum. http://robscamino.com/2018/mary-the-supermum/

Also, as is often mentioned here, remember that just because booking.com and other similar sites show no availability, does not mean they are full. The venues do not release all of their rooms to these sites, as they obviously lose money compared to their normal rack rates or 'walk in' rates, through commissions.

So contacting them directly will often secure a room.

I tend to call them and confirm via email.
And I make sure I call again if I am going to be late.
A couple of key Spanish phrases I made sure to learn.........

Last edited:
Adrienne, do you need to stay in Hornillos for a particular reason?
If not why not take a slightly shorter day and just stop in Rabe - it's a very pilgrim-friendly town, and staying there will take you away from the traffic jam that happens in the towns mentioned in guides as stage-ending places. The towns before or after these places often have much more space.
(I never plan rigidly if I can help it. So I ended up staying there on a whim once and it was so delightful...)

The Pilgrim count has been over 1,000 per day since April 16, most days over 1,500. Over half are on the Camino Frances, so there is a lot of competition for beds. To save walking around town looking for a bed at your destination, call ahead to check for vacancies. Many pilgrims now want "private accommodation," so reservations are necessary for those places. Most, but not all, are on booking.com. Hornillos has a perennial bed shortage with nothing else close by. Good luck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Gove them a call, or look at www.onlypilgrims.com - you may be able to book one of the albergues there if you want to.
It’s likely the albergues don’t allocate all their beds through booking,com.
BTW - I stayed at Meeting Place last year and found it very comfortable. It’s new - so modern - but it was a good night.

I stayed there in 2017. Nice clean spacious room. I had the best nap there!
. It's for the evening of 6 May. I noticed on booking.com but I check a few other sites and it seemed similar.
The booking sites don't have access to all the rooms/beds at the different albergues/hotels/pensions. It's often better to contact them directly.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I arrived in Hornillos last week by 1:30 pm and all the albergues were completo. I got the last mattress in the attic of the casa rural. It is difficult this year, and many are regularly booking ahead.

I'm only days away from starting my first camino from Burgos! I haven't booked ahead but I noticed by chance that most places are booked out in Hornillos - my first night. Is that something I should worry about or are the more traditional albergues ok for walk ins?
Dear Ad.

I was in Hornillos 4 years ago and had really bad experience in municipal albergue. It was supposed to be first come first serve but they gave reservation for a group of college students. A lots of pilgrims were sent away, even though I was lucky to have a bed. A guy who was working there was really bad and drunken.
Two years ago when I went back I made a reservation at Meeting Point, and it was wonderful place. Brother and sister were operating this place and they were very good.
I highly recommend you make reservation in advance, otherwise you may not ha e a bed to sleep that night.

Could always try starting a town back in Rabé. Does not tend to fill up until later in the day. The very first place in Hornillos offered me the chance to go stay with his friend in a village off the camino. He was prepared to get me a taxi to take me there and bring me back to Hornillos next morning. As it turned out, I got a bed in the municipal so did not have to avail of his offer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed at El Afar and was pleased with it. They have a nice little yard in the back to relax and served dinner out there on the patio. There is also a small grocery just a few doors down from the albergue.

Looked like all of the private albergues were full on Friday. Did notice a couple of tour groups ending their walk there.

BC
Alexandra

San Bol in 2017, I believe was closed when we were there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back