• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

A bit more info please...

Angie94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
I was wondering if someone might have a bit more info on these two options on how to get from the Madrid airport to the train station.
My plane arrives at T4s
1) Madrid Cercanias train from Airport T4 to Puerta de Atocha.
(is this a commuter train or something? is it near T4s? do I buy a ticket somewhere in the airport?

2) EMT Madrid Aeropuerto Express bus from T1T2T3 or T4 to Puerta de Atocha
same question, do I just buy a ticket for this bus inside the airport somewhere?

which is the least complicated way of getting to the train station? thanks so much

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Look up the Aeropuerto bus sign on the 'net. Catch it at the bus stop at T4. It takes you to Atocha Station. 5E Piece of cake. Enjoy your trip

The Cercanias are shorter distance trains operated by Renfe, the train company. This is different from the Metro system, which has a more detailed grid across the city. The Cercanias stations are connected to Metro stations and you go through different turnstiles, with different tickets, to different platforms. Just follow the signs. (On the return trip, Atocha station has a path, clearly marked on the floor, that you can follow to the airport train.)

I'd take the Cercanias, partly so that you learn about the system for future use. Follow the signs at the airport, buy a ticket at the machines. You can select English as the language on the machine.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Renfe Cercanias is described by wikipedia: CercanĂ­as is the name given to the commuter rail systems of Spain's major metropolitan areas. You can buy a ticket at the airport. If you have an onward ticket with Renfe (ie to Pamplona) the price of the Cercanias ticket is free ... you still need a ticket though.

Cercanias is separate from Madrid Metro (Subway).

EMT Aeropuerto Express is part of Madrid's bus system. You buy a ticket on boarding the bus #203 ... cash only. There is information on where the bus stops on the Aena website.

T4s is separate from T4. It is connected by an Automatic People Mover (APM) train that connects the terminals underground. Your only other option is to take the interterminal shuttle. T4S is isolated from anything else.

http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/Adolfo-Suarez-Madrid-Barajas.html

Most people seem to prefer the Cercanias. The train takes 25 minutes to get to Atocha. No transfers. The downside is it only runs every half hour.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Angie, most of the trains northward to the camino frances run from CHAMARTIN station -- only some of them from Atocha. You do best to take the Cercanias from T4; it drops you right off at Chamartin.

That's not entirely true ... If you're going to Leon or Ponferrada ... sure ... but most of the trains to Pamplona leave from Puerta de Atocha.

8 trains daily to Pamplona and only the 7 hour MD train leaves from Chamartin.

In addition to what has been already said by other users:
  • The price of the CercanĂ­as ride from the Airport to Atocha (or ChamartĂ­n) is 2.60 Euros. I say it because depending on the type of train you plan to take out of ChamartĂ­n or (Puerta de) Atocha you may need to pay for the CercanĂ­as ticket. If your train ticket out of ChamartĂ­n or (Puerta de) Atocha has a Combinado CercanĂ­as code on the upper left corner, you can get your CercanĂ­as ticket free using that code. Otherwise, you'll have to pay for it.
most of the trains northward to the camino frances run from CHAMARTIN station -- only some of them from Atocha.

Camino Francés towns and cities served by direct train(s) from Madrid Chamartín: Burgos, Frómista, Sahagún, León, Astorga, Ponferrada, Sarria, Santiago de Compostela.

Camino Francés cities served by direct train(s) from Madrid Puerta de Atocha: Pamplona and Logroño.

Some of the destinations quoted above mean a change of trains along the route some days of the week (i.e.: have direct train service from Madrid but not daily).

but most of the trains to Pamplona leave from Puerta de Atocha.

8 trains daily to Pamplona and only the 7 hour MD train leaves from Chamartin.

All the direct trains to Pamplona depart from Puerta de Atocha. Options (because there's more than one even if the RENFE web doesn't show them) out of ChamartĂ­n involve a change of trains somewhere along the route (e.g.: Vitoria or Palencia).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
JHC, they make it more complicated every day!

For you that are familiar with the administrative division of Spain in Autonomous Communities, it should be easy. Trains to Galicia, Asturias, Cantabria, the Basque Country and Castile and Leon depart from ChamartĂ­n. The rest of them from (Puerta de) Atocha.

It'd be much easier if they just instituted an icbm rocket route. Just strap the pilgrim in and pull the igniter rope. But, until they can get the survival rate higher ... say 99% ... we're gonna have to use the trains and buses. And, since most of the users aren't pilgrims ... the routes will remain tangled and convoluted.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Just to keep us on our toes :confused: Every single time I use public long distance transport in Spain I am wide open for surprises! But I do love the 30 min stops for lunch/food the Alsa buses make every 3-4 hours :) SY

Back