• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Bit of Perspective

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
My ex posted this on Facebook and I thought it was quite good for putting things into perspective. Several of my grandparents would have gone through this series of events- perhaps this is why they were so danged strong!

For a small amount of perspective at this moment, imagine you were born in 1900. On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends when you are 18. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. And don’t try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII until you are 45. At 50, the Korean War starts. At 55 the Vietnam War begins. When you are 62 the Cuban Missile Crisis threatens to end life on our planet as we know it. When you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends.

Perspective is amazing. Yes, we are in a challenging time nowadays. Try to remember everything that those born in 1900 endured and accomplished, and have faith that we will endure as well. Let’s be smart, and help each other out - we will get through all of this.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Annie, Is it okay of I cut and paste this and share with some friends and/or on FB?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My ex posted this on Facebook and I thought it was quite good for putting things into perspective. Several of my grandparents would have gone through this series of events- perhaps this is why they were so danged strong!

For a small amount of perspective at this moment, imagine you were born in 1900. On your 14th birthday, World War I starts, and ends when you are 18. Later in the year, a Spanish Flu epidemic hits the planet and runs until your 20th birthday. On your 29th birthday, the Great Depression begins. Unemployment hits 25%, the World GDP drops 27%. That runs until you are 33. The country nearly collapses along with the world economy. When you turn 39, World War II starts. You aren’t even over the hill yet. And don’t try to catch your breath. On your 41st birthday, the United States is fully pulled into WWII until you are 45. At 50, the Korean War starts. At 55 the Vietnam War begins. When you are 62 the Cuban Missile Crisis threatens to end life on our planet as we know it. When you turn 75, the Vietnam War finally ends.

Perspective is amazing. Yes, we are in a challenging time nowadays. Try to remember everything that those born in 1900 endured and accomplished, and have faith that we will endure as well. Let’s be smart, and help each other out - we will get through all of this.

I am now 86, so was born during the Depression, was in Elementary school during WWII, and of course my life has been influenced by the events above. Does tend to help one learn to cope with adversity, and difficulties. I think sometimes we imagine that "normal times" are easier somehow, but there are always challenges. And we will survive, and do it well! And as you say, we must help and support each other.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I asked my father-in-law for some words at the beginning of the Covid outbreak here in New Zealand.
This was his response, which I share with his permission (I hope it is not seen to be contravening Rule 2) (Incidentally in the intervening weeks he has been hospitalised and near death, but is making a miraculous recovery for which we are most grateful):

One Man’s perspective on the CoronaVirus

At 88-going-on-89, Statistics dictate that I am more likely than most to succumb to the Coronavirus outbreak.

Am I fearful? Am I consumed with dread? Do I lay awake at night worrying about it? Well actually, no. And that is not because I think I am bullet-proof, or that I think ‘it couldn’t happen to me’

You see, I’ve lived through uncertain times before: during WW!! We had food rationing; we heard bombs screaming down from the skies, not knowing where they might land; we heard a doodle-bug’s engine cut out, and wondered where the flying bomb would drop from the sky; and we lived with the reality of V2 rockets falling randomly from the sky leaving death and destruction in their paths.

I’ve known sudden unexpected death too; first with my father dying in a North African battle, then my eldest brother dying in a car accident, just 2 years later. And then my own dear wife, dying when a random out-of-control car ran us down on a balmy summer’s day. I’ve had my own close encounter too, with a lengthy battle with a spinal infection.

And what has all that taught me? Jesus is real! I have come to know that Jesus walks with me every day, speaking to me with that quiet whisper in my mind. He grasps my hand and leads me, comforts me and yes, reprimands me too. But most of all I have come to know His love and His promise, that to those that believe in Him, He promises the gift of eternal life.

So here in Titirangi I will take sensible precautions ( I have little sympathy with those who would stick their hand In the flames to see if it really will burn them) I will do what I can to help those around me and in this hurting world.

And the rest is in God’s gracious hands. Thy will be done, my Lord and saviour.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I was just thinking about this the other day because my Grandfather was born in 1899 and lived until he was 87 years old. He joined WWI in 1917 and had some health problems as a result his whole life. But he kept his sense of humor and faith.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back