• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

a blessing for a pilgrim staff

frmikeminn

Does anyone have a resource for blessing a pilgrim staff? I have heard that it is traditional to bless the walking stick of someone going on pilgrimage and I'd be interested to know if someone here has seen or been a part of such a blessing. thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The blessing of the staff is usualy a part of the blessing of the pilgrim.

Here is one from the Archicompostela web site:

Blessing
"In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, receive this pouch, habit for your pilgrimage, so that, castigated and corrected, you hasten to prostrate at Saint James' feet, where you yearn to arrive and, after having completed your journey, you come to us delighted with the help of God, who rules over the world without end. Amen.

Receive this staff as support for the journey and your efforts during your pilgrimage so that you are able to defeat the throngs of enemies and thus arrive safely at Saint James' feet and, after having completed your journey, you come to us delighted with the consent of the same God, who lives in and rules over Heaven without end. Amen."

And another which is the text of a medieval rite dated 1078 preserved in the Missal of Vich Cathedral, Barcelona, Spain. At the Abbey of Roncesvalles the blessing is used at the end of the Mass for the blessing of pilgrims passing through.

Blessing of the Pilgrims Emblems

C: Our help is in the name of the Lord.
R: Who made heaven and earth.
C: The Lord be with you.
R: And also with you.
Let us pray.
O Lord whose word makes all things holy, bless we beseech you these emblems, rucksacks and staffs to be used on this pilgrimage. May all those who carry them arrive safely at the shrine of St. James the Apostle, the objective of their journey. We ask this through Christ our Lord.R: Amen

Presenting the Rucksacks
(When presenting the rucksacks the priest says: “In the name of the Lord”)

In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, shoulder these rucksacks which will help you during your pilgrimage. May the fatigue of carrying them be expiation for your sins, so that when you have been forgiven you may reach the shrine of St. James full of courage, and when your pilgrimage is over, return home full of joy. We ask this through Christ our Lord.
R: Amen

Presenting the shells and other emblems

Receive these shells and medals, as signs of your pilgrimage. With God’s grace may you behave as true pilgrims throughout your entire journey and be able to reach your objective, which is to visit the shrine of St, James and gain indulgences. We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Blessing the Pilgrims
Lord Jesus Christ, you taught us through the Apostle St Paul that here below we have no lasting city and must always seek the heavenly city. Hear our prayers for these pilgrims we commission. May the Holy Spirit breathe his grace into their hearts; may he enliven their faith, strengthen their hope and feed the flame of their love. May they thus make their pilgrimage in the true spirit of penance, sacrifice and expiation. May the same spirit purify their minds from every evil thought. May he defend their hearts and give them the constant help of his protection so that they can reach the objective of their journey safely and by means of this pilgrimage they are now starting merit to come one day to the heavenly Jerusalem. You who live and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever.

May the Lord always guide your steps and be your inseparable companion throughout your journey.
May our Lady of Roncesvalles grant you her motherly protection, defend you against all dangers of soul and body. Through her intercession may you arrive safely at the end of your pilgrimage.
May St Raphael the Archangel accompany you throughout your journey as he accompanied Tobias and ward off every contrary or troublesome incident.
And may almighty God bless you, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Go in the peace of Christ
Translated from a French version of the Latin original by Brother David Leo fsc.
Copies available from the Confraternity of St James http://www.csj.org.uk

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A different version of the Roncesvalles Blessing and a few others:

Roncesvalles blessing
"Oh God, You who took up your servant Abraham from the city of Ur of the Chaldeans,
watching over him in all his wanderings,
You who were the guide of the Hebrew people in the desert, we ask that You deign to take care of these your servants who, for love of your name, make a pilgrimage to Compostela.
Be a companion for them along the path, a guide at crossroads, strength in their weariness, defence before dangers, shelter on the way, shade against the heat, light in the darkness, a comforter in their discouragements, and firmness in their intentions,
in order that, through your guidance, they might arrive unscathed at the end of their journey and, enriched with graces and virtues, they might return safely to their homes, which now lament their absence, filled with salutary and lasting joy.
Through Jesus Christ Your Son, Who lives and reigns with You, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.
May the blessing of Almighty God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, descend on you.

All: Amen.

Priest: May the Lord direct your steps with his approval, and be your inseparable
companion on the entire Camino.

Priest: May the Virgin Mary grant you her maternal protection, defend you in all dangers
of soul and body, and may you merit to arrive safely at the end of your pilgrimage under her mantle.

Priest: May the Archangel Rafael accompany you on the Camino as he accompanied Tobias, and protect you from every injury and obstacle.

All: Amen."

"In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, receive this pouch, habit for your pilgrimage, so that, castigated and corrected, you hasten to prostrate at Saint James' feet, where you yearn to arrive and, after having completed your journey, you come to us delighted with the help of God, who rules over the world without end. Amen.
Receive this staff as support for the journey and your efforts during your pilgrimage so that you are able to defeat the throngs of enemies and thus arrive safely at Saint James' feet and, after having completed your journey, you come to us delighted with the consent of the same God, who lives in and rules over Heaven without end. Amen."

BLESSING AND PRAYER FOR THE PILGRIM
Dear Lord Jesus Christ, who brought your servant Abraham out of the city of Chaldeas protecting him through all his travels/wandering, and who was the Hebrew nation's guide through the desert, we ask you to bless these children of yours who, for the love they bear your name, are on a pilgrimage to Compostela.
Be for them their companion on the way, their guide at the cross-roads, their shelter on the road, their shade in the heat, their light in the darkness, their comfort in weariness and their resolve in intentions.
So that through your guidance they arrive sound at the end of their road, and, enriched with grace and virtue, return home healthy and full or worthy virtues.
In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord.

March in the name of Christ who is the way, and pray for us in Compostela.

PRAYER OF THE PILGRIM (Los Arcos)

Lord, you who called your servant Abraham out of the town of Ur in Chaldea
and who watched over him during all his wanderings; you who guided the Jewish
people through the desert; we pray for you to watch your servants, who
for the love of your name, make a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Be for us,
a companion on our journey
the guide on our intersections
the strengthening during fatigue
the fortress in danger
the resource on our itinerary
the shadow in our heat
the light in our darkness
the consolation during dejection
and the power of our intention

so that we under your guidance, safely and unhurt, may reach the end of our
journey, and strengthened with gratitude and power, secure and filled with
happiness, may join our home, for Jesus Christ, Our Lord, Amen.
Apostle James, pray for us
Holy Virgin, pray for us"

PRAYER
All-powerful God, you always show mercy toward those who you love and you are never far away for those who seek you. Remain with your servants on this holy pilgrimage and guide their way in accord with your will. Shelter them with your protection by day, give them the light of your grace by night, and, as their companion on their journey, bring them to their destination in safety.
We ask this through Christ our Lord.
Amen.

BLESSING AT THE BEGINNING OF A JOURNEY
May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be always on your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
the rain fall soft upon your fields and,
until your journey’s end,
May God hold you safely in the palm of his hand.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back