• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A botanist on a mission

Tamargrace

Time of past OR future Camino
None yet
Hey

I thought I would introduce myself. I am called Tamar and am from Cornwall in England originally. Life has taken me to the Basque country and am incredibly blessed with many walks, mountains and caminos nearby.

I am an avid walker/ hiker so I really am in my element here. I have touched based qith the camino del norte but have not blogged or logged my journeys (yet) .

Here is my plan.... I have always been a gardener and have a degree and diploma in Botany ( Ethnobotany to be precise) so I am definately interested in the botany of the camino. I have set up my blog ( hike o therapy) and i intend on doing a botanical trail of the caminos over the course of the next few years. I wont be leaving Spain anytime soon, my partner is Basque and has a steady job. We are happy here, the dogs are settled and I really enjoy the lifestyle.

So any advice or interest in the botanical interest of the camino would be fantastic.

Buen camino con muchas plantas y bonitas vistas.

My blog is still an idea in the making with many drafted ideas and blogs but please follow me if you are interested

https://hikeotherapy.wordpress.com

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last edited:
Welcome! I clicked through and enjoyed your post about the rails-to-trails walk in the Basque country and it made me think you may be the perfect person to answer a question I've had for years.

My wife and I have twice walked a lovely two-day rails-to-trails route in Catalunya between Girona and Olot. The Spanish rails-to-trails system, known as the VĂ­as Verdes, is awesome and we hope to walk more of it in the future.

Along the way we frequently saw a pretty plant in two tones of green, dark green leaves below and what looked to us non-botanists like a light green flower above, although I realize that it may not be a true flower. (It was all along the trail in Catalunya but we think we've only spotted it once on the Camino Francés.)

Part of what made it remarkable was that at one point along the trail we spotted a bunch of kindergarten children putting on a pageant in which they were dressed like the flower! See the photo below.

So... what is this plant? And what is its significance in Spain that would make it the theme of a children's celebration?

catalunya-flowers.jpg

catalunya-kids.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My wife and I have twice walked a lovely two-day rails-to-trails route in Catalunya between Girona and Olot. The Spanish rails-to-trails system, known as the VĂ­as Verdes, is awesome and we hope to walk more of it in the future

I have never been around there and it is an area that I really want to explore -especially the costa brava coastal trails. I dont know much about customs in Cataluña either.

The plant is a Euphorbia but I'm not entirely sure which species it is but my guess is helioscopia. Whichever species it has incredibaly toxic milky sap so dont touch!! I wonder what those little children were are dancing around for. Bless them. I will put un some local enquiries haha

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back