• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Broken-Foot/Transportation Problem

JohnCilladi

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi All,
My wife and I are planning on starting in Caminah, Portugal in mid-June. Unfortunately, she broke her foot this week and won't have the cast removed until just before we fly to Portugal. She is very fit, but we think that she won't be able to do much walking when we start our Camino journey.
We both want to continue to plan for this trip: We already have tickets to Porto and much of our lodging is already booked. After our time on the trails, we are meeting up with family from Italy who are flying to Madrid for a few days.
An alternative plan is for me to walk each day, and for her to get transportation from town-to-town, but I am open to other suggestions.
Questions:
How would I best handle transportation for my wife? Are there taxis or other private (or public) transportation possibilities?
What other suggestions would you have to make our trip a success?

All the best,
John

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So sorry to hear about your wife's broken foot! Hope it heals well.

It's a good idea to have her get transportation and meet you, until she feels ready again to walk the long distances every day. There will be taxis in the towns for sure, although sometimes in the smaller villages the taxis will need to come from a larger town nearby. Uber is much less common in Portugal but does exist near some of the cities (https://beportugal.com/uber-in-portugal/). Note that Uber is virtually non-existent in Galicia, so once you hit Spain on the Camino Portugués you'll need to just get taxis.

You could also try bla bla car: https://www.blablacar.co.uk/ but that depends on driver availability.

And of course buses are available, but I don't know much about schedules and such - best to check with hotel proprietors or tourist offices as you go to get that information.

Another course of action could be that your wife stays in one town for a couple of days/ a few days (if it's a town that has more amenities) while you walk during that time. Then she can take a bus or a train to meet you. It would be like a personal retreat for her! :)

Hope it all works out and is a great trip for both of you, even with these unforeseen circumstances! Buen Camino.

So sorry to hear about your wife's broken foot! Hope it heals well.

It's a good idea to have her get transportation and meet you, until she feels ready again to walk the long distances every day. There will be taxis in the towns for sure, although sometimes in the smaller villages the taxis will need to come from a larger town nearby. Uber is much less common in Portugal but does exist near some of the cities (https://beportugal.com/uber-in-portugal/). Note that Uber is virtually non-existent in Galicia, so once you hit Spain on the Camino Portugués you'll need to just get taxis.

You could also try bla bla car: https://www.blablacar.co.uk/ but that depends on driver availability.

And of course buses are available, but I don't know much about schedules and such - best to check with hotel proprietors or tourist offices as you go to get that information.

Another course of action could be that your wife stays in one town for a couple of days/ a few days (if it's a town that has more amenities) while you walk during that time. Then she can take a bus or a train to meet you. It would be like a personal retreat for her! :)

Hope it all works out and is a great trip for both of you, even with these unforeseen circumstances! Buen Camino.
Hi, my wife and i are starting our camino from Porto on 16th of May and are using Caminofacil for 1 suitcase with extra stuff, they also have a taxi service, this might also be interesting, best of luck

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A member of our group could walk 10~12 km/day while the rest of us walking 20+ km. When reaching her planned stage, she went in one of the nearby cafes for snack and taxi. Folks in the cafes helped her contact a "taxi". The member employed this approach for the whole CP trip.

I broke my foot on the Camino last fall. Walked for almost 3 weeks before headed home and put in a boot. Good healing, luckily and no surgery. I'm a runner, considerably fit, exercise every day. Right now I'm on the Camino as a volunteer. I can tell I still would not be ready for days and days in a row with a full load. I'm waiting til next fall to set out on my next Camino. Just my input. I wouldn't push it and damage for years to come

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If your wife feels up for it, she can rent a car and meet you at the destination? She will then tell you all about the marvellous towns, churches, azulejos, etc 😅 will be cheaper than getting taxi from town to town I would think?

Pre-pandemic my cousin and I did a road trip up and down Portugal, we didn’t know it was almost following the route of Camino Portuguese, and everyone we met along the way asked if we were doing the Camino after we told them where we had stopped before etc!

Hi All,
My wife and I are planning on starting in Caminah, Portugal in mid-June. Unfortunately, she broke her foot this week and won't have the cast removed until just before we fly to Portugal. She is very fit, but we think that she won't be able to do much walking when we start our Camino journey.
We both want to continue to plan for this trip: We already have tickets to Porto and much of our lodging is already booked. After our time on the trails, we are meeting up with family from Italy who are flying to Madrid for a few days.
An alternative plan is for me to walk each day, and for her to get transportation from town-to-town, but I am open to other suggestions.
Questions:
How would I best handle transportation for my wife? Are there taxis or other private (or public) transportation possibilities?
What other suggestions would you have to make our trip a success?

All the best,
John
I hope you make the right decision, I hope she makes the right decision.

If your wife feels up for it, she can rent a car and meet you at the destination? She will then tell you all about the marvellous towns, churches, azulejos, etc 😅 will be cheaper than getting taxi from town to town I would think?

Pre-pandemic my cousin and I did a road trip up and down Portugal, we didn’t know it was almost following the route of Camino Portuguese, and everyone we met along the way asked if we were doing the Camino after we told them where we had stopped before etc!
Yes, if right foot is ok this would be a great idea IMO.
Country roads and villages were easy but collecting the car in Lisbon was a shock with the traffic, after coming of the CF.
edit: we were unable to arrange to rent a car in Portugal and return it in Spain, so factor in your post camino plans

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back