• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Buddhist monk's blog on walking in England

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Reading through some of the recent posts on the nature of pilgrimage started a complicated train of thought during which I remembered reading this blog some years ago. Not exactly a pilgrimage and certainly nothing to do with the Spanish caminos. I found it made interesting reading though. Just thought others here might think so too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bradypus, how not to triple like this!? Thank you for posting the link.
The Buddhist way is obviously different, but there's much in common. There's a rich tradition in this particular lineage of monks of wandering, and the stories they write of their journeys afterwards make for wonderful reading. Here's some more:
Books describing journeys in England and India--donativo pdf/epubs:
https://forestsangha.org/teachings/books/tudong-the-long-road-north
https://forestsangha.org/teachings/books/rude-awakenings?language=English
https://forestsangha.org/teachings/books/great-patient-one?language=English
(these last 2 are a 2 volume set, written by a monk and his lay helper--very entertaining reading in part because they were not at all well matched and we see how they worked with the strain of walking together on a remarkable six-month journey through Nepal and India)
An article:
http://www.buddhistteachings.org/tudong-– a-journey-into-the-unknown

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for sharing this. I really enjoyed reading it, such a different perspective.

I actually live on the old Cotswold Way (30 or so years ago it went right past my door, then it was diverted so as to pass through the village itself) and walk parts of it often.

Thank you, @Bradypus! After intending to simply 'give it a quick look', I ended up engrossed in the story of Ajahn's journey. As he says, everyone will read it differently...according to their own experiences...and I certainly experienced that myself.

I particularly appreciated his own wrestling with the issue of 'being who he was': walking visibly as a Buddhist monk with the attention and issues that it might entail. I had wrestled with some of the same issues; I am a Roman Catholic cleric and part of me wanted to 'blend in' on my upcoming Camino--put on some standard-issue hiking gear and be a 'standard-issue hiker' for a few weeks. But, in conscience, I just couldn't. A week ago, I finally made the decision to walk in my clerics...to make myself available to whomever might need a prayer or a blessing and open myself up to whatever might come from it.

After all, it is who I am.

Shortly after I made the decision and ordered some 'less cottony' clerics, I was greeted by Pope Francis' admonition to the deacons gathered in Rome for the Year of Mercy to be more available (I wish I could have been there!), but was admittedly still a bit hesitant. Now this wonderful little story of this religious man on a walk trying to be who he is.

Manapo the monk might call it dhamma; I would call it providence.

So, God's blessings to you for being an instrument of that providence.

Grace+Peace
-Jason

As a practical post-script: I was also quite interested in the description of using breathing techniques to remain mindful to overcome the difficulties of walking. Many people are not aware that this kind of practice is something that exists not only in eastern religious traditions, but also in Christian devotional tradition as well.

So, for any Christian pilgrims that might want to practice a prayerful breathing exercise that is rooted in their own faith tradition on pilgrimage, the practice of the Hesychastic prayer (or Jesus prayer) from the Greek churches might be in order. The prayer is very simple: "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God / have mercy on me, a sinner." Inhale slowly and deeply for the first phrase (before the 'slash') and exhale slowly for the second. Repeat (indefinitely!).

This practice has helped me not only during previous hikes/walks but in many other stressful or boring situations where the mind wants to wander away toward fear or distraction.

Ultreya!

P.P.S: Hopefully not too much religion for a post...and a sincere hope that, with some Buddhist and Christian practices 'on the table' that pilgrims from other faith traditions might reveal some of their treasures as well!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wonderful reflections, Deacon Jason. Thank you.
I particularly appreciated his own wrestling with the issue of 'being who he was': walking visibly as a Buddhist monk with the attention and issues that it might entail. I had wrestled with some of the same issues; I am a Roman Catholic cleric and part of me wanted to 'blend in' on my upcoming Camino--put on some standard-issue hiking gear and be a 'standard-issue hiker' for a few weeks. But, in conscience, I just couldn't. A week ago, I finally made the decision to walk in my clerics...to make myself available to whomever might need a prayer or a blessing and open myself up to whatever might come from it.
It's a constant practice, this business of looking very different--but also wonderful. You're a visible messenger of faith...as well as being like a neon sign saying "It's perfectly OK to live a different way! The conversations with people get deep very quickly.
Good on you and may you have all blessings, Deacon Jason...Buen Camino!

Thank you for the reading material Viranani i shall read them during the next few days!

Thanks also Deacon Jason for some very supporting words of reflection.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Many thanks to @Viranani for the links above. Especially for the saga of the journey through India. I've only dipped into it so far but it looks like a joy to savour at leisure. All the more so since my wife and I spent six months in India and Nepal in the winter of 1989-90 - one year before that journey took place. Lumbini, Varanasi, Sarnath and Bodh Gaya were amongst the places we visited. For our visit we were based in Nagpur which is something of a centre for the very different Buddhist movement inspired by B R Ambedkar. My avatar here is my much younger self in the Ganga just upstream of Varanasi city :)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm loving this thread - thank you to everyone who has participated in it. It might be worth adding that something like the Jesus prayer can be synchronised with the footsteps instead of (or as well as) the breath. Thich Nhat Hanh has some useful bits of advice on doing that while walking, using phrases like "I take refuge in the Buddha" or "Our Father who art in heaven" or "I walk on the fresh earth", with one word for each step, or for each double step. My own experience is that there's something special about the times when footsteps, breath, and phrase all come together for a while. Maybe if I keep practising those times will get longer and more frequent, but I'm still a beginner!

Many thanks to @Viranani for the links above. Especially for the saga of the journey through India. I've only dipped into it so far but it looks like a joy to savour at leisure. All the more so since my wife and I spent six months in India and Nepal in the winter of 1989-90 - one year before that journey took place. Lumbini, Varanasi, Sarnath and Bodh Gaya were amongst the places we visited. For our visit we were based in Nagpur which is something of a centre for the very different Buddhist movement inspired by B R Ambedkar. My avatar here is my much younger self in the Ganga just upstream of Varanasi city :)
And I have had the honour of serving three months each year for a non sectarian Canadian charity in India since 2006. Our homes in India, Nepal, Tibet and Bangladesh have opened their arms to me; they have become my homes away from home (until my first Camino last year). Each child is raised in their own religion and their own culture.
Don't want to get too off topic, but just the say that my times in places such as Varanasi, Tibet and the Temples of India sparked a whole new level of understanding, but at the same time it all felt 'familiar'….thanks to both Bradypus and Viranani. Love this thread.

Love this thread.
Me too--it's the best of both worlds. Thanks for starting it Bradypus. I had thought about starting a similar thread a while ago with these links but decided it was too 'Buddhist'!:)
Ah, I get it, Bradypus...I had been wondering about your avatar pic. Now it makes sense!
And I have had the honour of serving three months each year for a non sectarian Canadian charity in India since 2006.
This sounds like a wonderful place, movinmaggie. Please PM me with a link to their website, if they have one. I'd love to offer a donation.
It might be worth adding that something like the Jesus prayer can be synchronised with the footsteps instead of (or as well as) the breath. Thich Nhat Hanh has some useful bits of advice on doing that while walking, using phrases like "I take refuge in the Buddha" or "Our Father who art in heaven" or "I walk on the fresh earth", with one word for each step, or for each double step. My own experience is that there's something special about the times when footsteps, breath, and phrase all come together for a while.
So true Malcom! I do a lot of loving-kindness practice on the Camino, cultivating loving-kindness with each step. In sitting meditation there's a phrase that can be used to do this ('may all beings be well, happy, and peaceful') but when I walk that gets compressed to just 'well...happy...peaceful,' with the words coinciding with feet touching the earth. When I can really connect with the words, the meanings, and all beings, while really 'being in the body' walking along--well, it's a very different way of being! Special, and at the same time very ordinary and normal.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Interesting that stepping out on the camino with time to think about everything 24/7, then being aware of the present moment and the importance to live in it! Reminds me to think of the spiritual walk to Santiago with non judgement, compassion and loving kindness towards our fellow pilgrims. The responses of kindness' that we receive from the people walking and living along the Way. Must be one of the best practice anyone could wish to continue as they return home afterwards IMHO.

Must be one of the best practice anyone could wish to continue as they return home afterwards IMHO.
And those noisy nights and early mornings in albergues are the ideal training ground for all the little annoyances of life. ;)
Someone shining their headlamp in the eyes?
Packing at an absurdly early hour?
Talking when the rest of us are trying to sleep?
Grf. Breathe. Remember...Relax...
Maybe.
Doing the best I can but it's not always possible. Work in progress.
Speaking only for myself of course.:confused::D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Such a treat to set the tone for the day. I had to 'like' the post where Bradypus referred to his avatar as himself in younger days... a timeless post, @Bradypus.
I have emailed to myself the blog of the buddhist monk walking the Cotswold Way - I read all of that post. The gems are sparkling through!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I had to 'like' the post where Bradypus referred to his avatar as himself in younger days... a timeless post, @Bradypus.
It might be a little confusing now as I have changed my avatar over the years. This is the photo I was using at the time of the OP. Way back in another century when I had dark hair. Or much hair at all... :)

Screenshot_2022-01-11-09-45-09-279.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back