• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Buddhist walks the Camino

jayree

Time of past OR future Camino
CdS 2012, CdN 2013, Shikoku 2015, CP 2016.
In the current issue of Northwest Dharma News there is a well written, thoughtful article by Tom Kaczmarski. He describes the CdS from a Buddhist perspective. For example, "I even became grateful for the pain in my feet, as it meant I was alive, human, and healthy enough to experience."

It concludes ...
"People talk of the Camino never ending; a walk you do for the rest of your life. We found, as we walked, that our needs became less, our gratitude greater, our acceptance deeper, and in this we found our humility. In this we found our commonality. It seemed to me that we had found the key to the ancient angels’ blessing at the birth of Christ, 'Peace on earth good will towards men.' "

http://northwestdharma.org/2014/12/...-walking-spains-camino-de-santiago/#post-6832

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In the current issue of Northwest Dharma News there is a well written, thoughtful article by Tom Kaczmarski. He describes the CdS from a Buddhist perspective. For example, "I even became grateful for the pain in my feet, as it meant I was alive, human, and healthy enough to experience."

It concludes ...
"People talk of the Camino never ending; a walk you do for the rest of your life. We found, as we walked, that our needs became less, our gratitude greater, our acceptance deeper, and in this we found our humility. In this we found our commonality. It seemed to me that we had found the key to the ancient angels’ blessing at the birth of Christ, 'Peace on earth good will towards men.' "

http://northwestdharma.org/2014/12/...-walking-spains-camino-de-santiago/#post-6832
Tom, I very much enjoyed this. So much I now relate to, as my walk to see and hear with an open heart and ask and accept the lessons taught. Namaste

Very interesting!

Many similarities in the experiences, yet seen from a different ideological and faith perspective. Obviously there is a value to be had for ANYONE on the Camino! :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hola Jayree - thanks for a great post. I am only surprised that more Buddhists are not walking the Camino and posting their experiences. Of course, just as Christianity has spread world-wide in 2000 years, Buddhism has also spread widely from its Indian routes. From my understanding a Buddhist walking the Camino "for spiritual reasons" would still qualify for a Compostela.
Also have comment on the great photos.

There were Buddhist missionaries in Alexandria, Greece, and various other eastern Mediterranean rim cultures from about 100 years before Jesus - I often wonder about his 'lost' years and where he was learning.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Strangers on the Camino
A Father and Son and a Holy Trail
By;
Sanjiva Wijesinha
Family Physician , Ass. Professor @ Monash University, Melbourne, Australia and Buddhist.
His son , Shivantha is a lawyer , actor and musician living in NYC.
A loving relationship between father and son on a 800 km journey..which was very hard physically for the writer.

Great read and summed up beautifully by an ex Vice President of the International Court of Justice,

" Cabinned , cribbed and confined within the faith to which they were born , the majority of people across the world remain in total unawareness of the richness of other faiths.
This narrative is a valuable correctness to this trend"

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Strangers on the Camino
A Father and Son and a Holy Trail by Sanjiva Wijesinha"

I read and enjoyed Wijesinha's book. He has many great insights and observations. For example, "Therea Burkhardt-Fuller puts it in very simple terms: 'Walking the Camino is like reading a good book. You cannot wait to reach the end and find out the ending - and then you are sorry that you have finished it!' "

A book that I enjoyed even more is "The Way Is a River of Stars: A Buddhist's Journey Through Northern Spain on the Camino Pilgrim Route" by Helen E. Burns, available only in a Kindle edition I think. One of her observations, "The pilgrimage is not only done on foot, it is principally done by your heart."

I read and enjoyed Wijesinha's book. He has many great insights and observations. For example, "Therea Burkhardt-Fuller puts it in very simple terms: 'Walking the Camino is like reading a good book. You cannot wait to reach the end and find out the ending - and then you are sorry that you have finished it!' "

A book that I enjoyed even more is "The Way Is a River of Stars: A Buddhist's Journey Through Northern Spain on the Camino Pilgrim Route" by Helen E. Burns, available only in a Kindle edition I think. One of her observations, "The pilgrimage is not only done on foot, it is principally done by your heart."

We found on reaching Santiago the same feelings Jayree so we kept going the next day to Muxia.
On return a week later we had a wonderful stay of 5 days in Santiago , living in an area away from the crowds , embraced the city and its people , sat back and enjoyed what we had achieved.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back