• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A busy day in the pilgrim office!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have previously stated that Semana Santa / Holy Week is the 'unofficial' start to the annual pilgrim season. The pilgrim arrival numbers explain why. Every day, I look at the number of folks received at the office.

I have my smartphone browser homepage set to bring up the front page with the daily number. I check it after the 14:15 update is made, and again late in the evening (CET) to see the final daily total.

Over the past two weeks, I watched as the number started to grow from around 200 - 300 pilgrims daily, to 500 - 700 daily. Then last weekend, Palm Sunday, the daily arrivals jumped to 800 - 1000 daily.

Now, on the threshold of Easter and the culmination of Holy Week / Semana Santa, the numbers are well over 1,000 daily. The daily volume will remain over 1,000 - 1,500 daily (with few dips until mid-May). Once mid-May arrives, the daily numbers will exceed 1,500 daily.

From June, the daily numbers will rarely dip below 2,000 daily. In July and August, it is not unusual to receive over 3,000 pilgrims daily,

And these numbers are only the folks who fill out the 'estadillo' form to receive a Compostela or Welcome Certificate. It does not include a few hundred 'solo sello' or self-avoidance pilgrims each day who just want to prove they got there and do not seek the Compostela. If one includes these not formally counted pilgrims, the total is likely 15 percent higher, at least IMHO.

The above is also why I volunteer from mid-July to mid-August. These are the absolute highest volume weeks in the office. The annual feast of Santiago on 25 July is a MAJOR national and regional holiday. It is the busiest day / week of the year. The Pilgrim Office literally needs all hands to the pumps around these dates. Besides, being busy and helpful is fun and satisfying.

This is followed by another annual religious celebration and national holiday, the Feast of the Assumption (of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven) on 15 August. Both events generate thousands of pilgrims who either take time from work around these dates to stretch their holiday time, or who are more devout and want their Compostelas to reflect those special dates.

If you get caught in this surge, plan to come to the office the first thing in the morning (opens at 0800) or at traditional dinner time for most of us, 1800 -1900. Those are the two daily lulls in what can be a two-hour queue in the summer.

Hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ah YUP! I will be there when you arrive. What I do not yet know is if they are going to ask me to do Composelas, or my usual roaming about doing whatever needs doing to keep things humming along.

My nickname is "The Sheriff," El Sherif... Probably because I do like to keep things very orderly and smooth... Then again, I also pick up trash, arrange furniture, pick up after pilgrims and many other things... I enjoy my time there immensely.

See you on the 20th... Let me know if you arrive in town a day or two earlier. You know how to contact me.

I have previously stated that Semana Santa / Holy Week is the 'unofficial' start to the annual pilgrim season. The pilgrim arrival numbers explain why. Every day, I look at the number of folks received at the office.

I have my smartphone browser homepage set to bring up the front page with the daily number. I check it after the 14:15 update is made, and again late in the evening (CET) to see the final daily total.

Over the past two weeks, I watched as the number started to grow from around 200 - 300 pilgrims daily, to 500 - 700 daily. Then last weekend, Palm Sunday, the daily arrivals jumped to 800 - 1000 daily.

Now, on the threshold of Easter and the culmination of Holy Week / Semana Santa, the numbers are well over 1,000 daily. The daily volume will remain over 1,000 - 1,500 daily (with few dips until mid-May). Once mid-May arrives, the daily numbers will exceed 1,500 daily.

From June, the daily numbers will rarely dip below 2,000 daily. In July and August, it is not unusual to receive over 3,000 pilgrims daily,

And these numbers are only the folks who fill out the 'estadillo' form to receive a Compostela or Welcome Certificate. It does not include a few hundred 'solo sello' or self-avoidance pilgrims each day who just want to prove they got there and do not seek the Compostela. If one includes these not formally counted pilgrims, the total is likely 15 percent higher, at least IMHO.

The above is also why I volunteer from mid-July to mid-August. These are the absolute highest volume weeks in the office. The annual feast of Santiago on 25 July is a MAJOR national and regional holiday. It is the busiest day / week of the year. The Pilgrim Office literally needs all hands to the pumps around these dates. Besides, being busy and helpful is fun and satisfying.

This is followed by another annual religious celebration and national holiday, the Feast of the Assumption (of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven) on 15 August. Both events generate thousands of pilgrims who either take time from work around these dates to stretch their holiday time, or who are more devout and want their Compostelas to reflect those special dates.

If you get caught in this surge, plan to come to the office the first thing in the morning (opens at 0800) or at traditional dinner time for most of us, 1800 -1900. Those are the two daily lulls in what can be a two-hour queue in the summer.

Hope this helps.
See you in July

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ah YUP! I will be there when you arrive. What I do not yet know is if they are going to ask me to do Composelas, or my usual roaming about doing whatever needs doing to keep things humming along.

My nickname is "The Sheriff," El Sherif... Probably because I do like to keep things very orderly and smooth... Then again, I also pick up trash, arrange furniture, pick up after pilgrims and many other things... I enjoy my time there immensely.

See you on the 20th... Let me know if you arrive in town a day or two earlier. You know how to contact me.
I start out from Burgos next Thursday. According to my normal speed/daily distances, I will walk happily into SdC ca. 14.30 on May 20th, according to my appointment with ms. Diaz :) But nothing's set in stone, other than that date.

Have finished the Primitivo and have joined the Francés, tonight in Arzúa. Leaving early tomorrow morning with a few other Primitivo friends to reach Santiago.

We saw many when we joined the Francés in Melide but not so bad and when we arrived in Arzúa at around 13.30 the hospitalera at the municipal said that there were lots of available beds. The most are young Spaniards (but then it's not difficult to be younger than me😂).

It will be interesting seeing how many pilgrims arrive tomorrow with us.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I start out from Burgos next Thursday. According to my normal speed/daily distances, I will walk happily into SdC ca. 14.30 on May 20th, according to my appointment with ms. Diaz :) But nothing's set in stone, other than that date.
Would that be Ms. Kathy Diaz? Everyone seems to know her!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hope this helps.
I'll be there on May 9th - I assume the office won't be too busy then. I made my plans to begin my Camino after the festivities of Easter and get to SdeC before mid-May hoping to avoid the masses.

Look for me. Sketch a light grey beard, and put me in a turquoise volunteer t-shirt, and you got it. I sort of look like an overgrown Papa Smurf. Just call out hey "T2..."

On a day I am working, I regularly patrol inside and out, stopping to do what needs doing. OTOH, this might be the year I get tapped to actually do Compstelas after five years as Cinderfella.

Don't get me wrong. I love my time there and am happy to do absolutely anything to help. Also, I always get far more out of the experience than I invest.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Hope this helps.
I love the 8 am stroll through Santiago - the city is quiet and empty, with the first peregrinos of the day arriving, and shopkeepers sweeping their steps. You go to the Pilgrims' office, then to the cathedral to hug the saint without any lines - it's heavenly.

Most read last week in this forum

The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back