• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A camino cancelled? Seizures? (Please, send good energy)

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2015)
Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (2019)
Hi all
After 2 years in the making, lots os posts and an anxious countdown, looks like my Camino Lebaniego will be cancelled. We we supposed to leave on Easter Friday, but yesterday was probably the scariest day of my life.

I got home and found my husband semi concious, trembling and all dirty on the bed. He could not speak and was not reacting. I called the emergency services, did CPR, spent the last 36 hours in the hospital.

His family arrived and I could just come home to sleep, clean, start to sort stuff... one of them probably cancelling our trip (which hopefully the insurance will cover). I am so sad, because this was his choice of trail, and we have not talked about anything else in the last weeks. We wanted it so much. I feel horrible for cancelling things without him being aware, without him being able to understand what is going on.

Doctors ruled out meningitis, and are investigating a continous seizure state, epilepsy, other brain issues. I just hope he will wake up, and look at things and react, instead of just being blank. If he is able to recognize and say my name again, I will be the happiest person. One can just hope, right? He is in good hands... If it is one of the things doctors suspect, has anyone that suffers from seizures done the camino? Or epilepsy, or after a stroke? Can we dream about it in the future?

Sorry for sharing this in the forum, but it has been a rollercoaster of last 2 days and I needed to get it out my chest. Any good energy coming from this amazing camino family would be most welcome. If you are reading this somewhere in the Camino now and could lit a candle, or make a prayer, or look at the amazingness around you and send a positive thought of recovery to a pilgrim, we will be forever thankful.

Santiago, Santo Toribio, Camino... wait for us. We will get there when the time is right.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am so sorry to hear of your situation. It had to be a truly terrifying time when you found your husband and waiting for help to arrive. I am praying for you and your husband and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you continue to deal with this situation.

I wish that I could just give you a huge hug and offer some reassurances that you are not alone in this, but even if my hugs are only virtual, and my support is digital, I am here for you. All of your friends on the Forum are here for you.

Please post as often as you need to and please keep us informed. May God Bless you and your husband and give you the strength you need to help you through this horribly trying time.

My warmest regards and prayers,
Dave

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Albertagirl raises an excellent point about continued communication and touch contact with your husband.

My nursing days are long in the past but I do remember people awaking from unresponsive states and being more than a bit ticked off with visitors talking about them as if they were not even there or ignoring them completely in conversation.

Just because he is unresponsive does not mean he is not hearing every word. Be positive for both of you and make sure visitors get the same message.

B

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Anamya: My prayers and thoughts are with you and your husband for recovery.
I don’t suffer any condition that you described, but do have Parkinson’s and last September did Camino Francés from Sarria. It was a little tough, as at certain time of the day; my body didn’t responded normally. The reason was that I didn’t took the usual rest time as back home. Also (at that time) my body was reacting against one of the medications. We completed our Camino and enjoyed our stay in Santiago de Compostela.
When back home, I was into a Parkinson’s specific therapy and one day a Doctor visited the room with some interns; the therapist told my wife who the Doctor was and that I should seek a second opinion on the treatment. My wife went to front desk and found an appointment for that afternoon (it takes 3 to 4 months to book this Doctor).
We went to the appointment and now she is my Doctor with a new approach that had helped me get on track. So is the case; that we planning our return on Camino Portugués.
Si Anamya, let the power of prayer work it “Way” and the Lord will respond.
Buen Camino...........

Francisco

I just wanted to have a quick look at the forum before going to bed.

Then I read your post .

Want to wish you and your husband all the best and
don't give up hope!

It is hard when plans are thwarted without warning.

But: In Germany we've got a saying:

Postponed is not cancelled.

Wish you and your husband all the best and fast/good recovery for your husband.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh, what a heartbreaking story to read! My heart goes out to you both. What a devastating turn of events and huge disappointment for you. Hopefully your husband will quickly be diagnosed and improvement soon to be had. Thank you for sharing and please do keep us updated on his condition...I'll be hoping for eventual good news!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Anamya your friends on the forum, including myself, will be thinking of you and supporting you as best we can. I do hope you have family and friends who can give you practical help. While on Camino next week I will send up thoughts for you, and for the recovery of your husband. Hugs to you.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all
After 2 years in the making, lots os posts and an anxious countdown, looks like my Camino Lebaniego will be cancelled. We we supposed to leave on Easter Friday, but yesterday was probably the scariest day of my life.

I got home and found my husband semi concious, trembling and all dirty on the bed. He could not speak and was not reacting. I called the emergency services, did CPR, spent the last 36 hours in the hospital.

His family arrived and I could just come home to sleep, clean, start to sort stuff... one of them probably cancelling our trip (which hopefully the insurance will cover). I am so sad, because this was his choice of trail, and we have not talked about anything else in the last weeks. We wanted it so much. I feel horrible for cancelling things without him being aware, without him being able to understand what is going on.

Doctors ruled out meningitis, and are investigating a continous seizure state, epilepsy, other brain issues. I just hope he will wake up, and look at things and react, instead of just being blank. If he is able to recognize and say my name again, I will be the happiest person. One can just hope, right? He is in good hands... If it is one of the things doctors suspect, has anyone that suffers from seizures done the camino? Or epilepsy, or after a stroke? Can we dream about it in the future?

Sorry for sharing this in the forum, but it has been a rollercoaster of last 2 days and I needed to get it out my chest. Any good energy coming from this amazing camino family would be most welcome. If you are reading this somewhere in the Camino now and could lit a candle, or make a prayer, or look at the amazingness around you and send a positive thought of recovery to a pilgrim, we will be forever thankful.

Santiago, Santo Toribio, Camino... wait for us. We will get there when the time is right.
Anamya, you and your dear husband are in my prayers tonight and in the coming days. God love you. -Deacon Mike

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anamya, we will say prayers for you and your husband at my church tomorrow. And, I am sending you hope and prana, for your Camino deferred but not cancelled. Last year, and through my Camino links here, I have met or heard of pilgrims who walked after strokes, after serious illness, recovering from hip replacement surgery. I walked in Sept-Oct 2018, despite an emergency admission to hospital 6 months earlier, with suspected heart attack (it wasn't that, and my doctor approved my Walk, but my Camino was different to what I had dreamed and trained for). Talk and sing to your partner, hold his hand and remember to take care of yourself. St James and all of us will be praying for you both.

@anamaya, I don’t have an idea of your real time location, but it doesn’t matter at all. Thank you for asking for support and prayer. Done. Given. These will be tiring days, I hope you have some people close by to go through this together with. The week ahead will give me many opportunities to keep your husband and yourself in my heart and prayer...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh, Anamya. My heart goes out to you...this is not the camino you thought you would both be walking right now. In the middle of the confusion and exhaustion of these days please know we are thinking of you, lighting candles, and offering prayers. And please be gentle with yourself...you will need some quiet time just to feel the impact of all of this.

Praying that this is a just a delay, and that you can walk the camino together, when the time is right - it has been here over a thousand years and is not going anywhere - the camino will wait for you.
Heartfelt wishes for healing and wellness, for you both.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all

So sorry to hear this, I know he will recover. I am heading to Santo toribio next week something I have wanted to do since I saw a documentary and walked the frances last year and I will say a prayer for your husband. I will post some pictures for him under live from the Camino iriebabel walks the Norte from Irun. I had a head injury in the military and I have petite mal seizures and massive migraines daily. The Camino helps to calm me seems that big stress situations brings on my seizures and migraines occur more often but being on The Camino helps because it’s something I enjoy doing and being in nature and the calms me. I hope they find the root cause of your husband’s symptoms and I will pray for his recovery. The Camino will wait for him.... I am on the Norte at the moment and maybe 10 years ago I didn’t this it would be possible due to my severe injuries to do this but here I am with a heavy knee brace on my left, heel spur on my right foot and medications and tens unit in tow but some how I always feel better when I’m walking. We can’t ask you not to worry because it is human nature to think about the people we love but you know the prayers and love of your Camino friends are behind you and with you in these trying times. Faith can climb mountains and this is a mountain of Giant proportions for which you will both reach the other side. Much love to you and your husband an speedy recovery.

€149,-
I hope that your husband makes a full recovery from whatever is afflicting him and that your postponed camino will prove all the more precious. May he receive the care he needs and you the consolation you deserve!

Hi all

Thoughts and prayers with all of you. Another Camino will await you both.

Anamya, you and your husband are both in my thoughts and prayers. May a diagnosis come quickly and then treatment and recovery. Have faith that you will do your Camino; it will still be there when you are ready. God bless.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all

I can't imagine what you are going through. We are all praying for your husband's quick recovery. I am leaving in 2 weeks. I will carry you and your husband in my thoughts.

Sending love and strength to you and your dear husband..... hopefully you and your husband will draw strength from the lovely heart felt messages....try and remain positive and always look to the future....xxx

Hi all

Sending all possible good wishes your way.

Hi all

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So sorry to hear... the disappointment after the preparation and anticipation is eclipsed only by the fear of not knowing what the future holds. The Camino will wait while you walk a different camino. We will pray for you and your husband and the docs - for grace, for wisdom, for healing and for peace as you walk through this valley.
Prayers and Peace to you both.

€149,-
Hi all

I will send brilliant white light for healing you two. I will bring your wishes 4/20 SJPDD and carry on thinking the best for you and your husband.

Omg, guys, I hope you have an idea of how amazing and heartwarming it is to read all these messages! I thank every and each one of them, there is so much love here!

Some updates from the last 24 hours in the hospital:

- He opened his eyes (yay!). Dozes off and sleeps again very often, but there are moments he keeps the eyes open.

- I managed to contact the doctor that conducted his surgery last year, which I remember my husband saying "was the doctor he trusted most". The guy went straight to the hospital when I explained the situation. He kept talking to my husband, and there was a moment that the dr. said "you will be fine, mate, we are all taking care of you", and my husband looked at him and nodded. (everyone teared at this moment - his first reaction to anything since Thursday)

- In the afternoon, the magic words happened: I was holding a glass of water for him with a straw. He was not looking while drinking, but after a few sips, he mumbled "thank you".
(You are most welcome, my love)

So yeah, small steps in this unexpected camino.
I have not yet mentioned our camino, or the need to postpone it. I dont want to risk upseting him. But I said people from all over the world are wishing him all the best and a speedy recovery.

You are all correct that our camino is not cancelled, just postponed. We will get there someday. And I am following the advice of talking to him, and he seems soothed by it.
I will keep you informed, and you are all in my prayers as well, because I could never expect so much love. May Santiago be always with us all :)

Oh Anamaya, I am so sad to read about your husband's seizure/stroke/episode but know that you are both in the hands of God at the present time....you are surrounded by your entire Camino Family here in the Forum....so much love and prayer is coming your way from us all. It was so very good to read your update this morning here In Perth.......my Love and prayers are and will be with you both. Your Camino WILL happen.....maybe not quite when you had both planned, but it will BE.

€149,-
Glad there is some improvement in your husband’s condition. My thoughts and prayers are coming your way. 🙏🏻

Hi all

Best of luck to him. So sorry this happened and hopefully he will recover and you will both be able to do your walk then. It will all be there still waiting for you.

€149,-
Omg, guys, I hope you have an idea of how amazing and heartwarming it is to read all these messages! I thank every and each one of them, there is so much love here!

Some updates from the last 24 hours in the hospital:

- He opened his eyes (yay!). Dozes off and sleeps again very often, but there are moments he keeps the eyes open.

- I managed to contact the doctor that conducted his surgery last year, which I remember my husband saying "was the doctor he trusted most". The guy went straight to the hospital when I explained the situation. He kept talking to my husband, and there was a moment that the dr. said "you will be fine, mate, we are all taking care of you", and my husband looked at him and nodded. (everyone teared at this moment - his first reaction to anything since Thursday)

- In the afternoon, the magic words happened: I was holding a glass of water for him with a straw. He was not looking while drinking, but after a few sips, he mumbled "thank you".
(You are most welcome, my love)

So yeah, small steps in this unexpected camino.
I have not yet mentioned our camino, or the need to postpone it. I dont want to risk upseting him. But I said people from all over the world are wishing him all the best and a speedy recovery.

You are all correct that our camino is not cancelled, just postponed. We will get there someday. And I am following the advice of talking to him, and he seems soothed by it.
I will keep you informed, and you are all in my prayers as well, because I could never expect so much love. May Santiago be always with us all :)
So good to get such good news!

I was very sorry to read of your husband's seizure, and pleased to hear of his progress. You and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all

So sorry to hear about your husband. Your Camino will happen when the time is right. Blessings to you both.

A big step forward during our 4th day in hospital!

He was more responsive, looking at people today. Then the nurse asked him if he kew where he was, and he said "hospital"!

Then she pointed at me and asked if he knew who I was. HE SMILED! And said 'yes'! 🥰 He could not remember my name, but one thing at a time. That smile, omg...

The doctor said that he is improving fast, but even if he recovered totally today, they would not advise us to hop into a long haul flight on Friday. She said, however, that after he gets better, she sees no harm in doing short trips within Australia, short flights, and even light walking/hiking, as long as we are cautious and have means to access medical help quickly if needed. Time will tell. Thanks to all that shared stories of recovery and of walking after big issues, that is very encouraging!

In my prayers last night I thanked all of you for your support, thanked the universe for all the progress my husband is doing, and also reflected a lot about this weird camino we are walking now. A few days ago I had concerns about being able to go up the Picos de Europa. Now the challenge is to support my husband to be able to walk to the washroom - and when we get there we will be kings of the world, like when we went over Cebreiro and Alto da Portela.

€149,-
Glad to hear that there is improvement and hope it continues.
In answer to your questions at the end of your post, yes I have walked caminos post a stroke even though I kept veering wildly to the left if I stopped concentrating. Made it tiring but it is doable. I can now walk straight again so although it takes time it can work out.
God bless you both.

A big step forward during our 4th day in hospital!

He was more responsive, looking at people today. Then the nurse asked him if he kew where he was, and he said "hospital"!

Then she pointed at me and asked if he knew who I was. HE SMILED! And said 'yes'! 🥰 He could not remember my name, but one thing at a time. That smile, omg...

The doctor said that he is improving fast, but even if he recovered totally today, they would not advise us to hop into a long haul flight on Friday. She said, however, that after he gets better, she sees no harm in doing short trips within Australia, short flights, and even light walking/hiking, as long as we are cautious and have means to access medical help quickly if needed. Time will tell. Thanks to all that shared stories of recovery and of walking after big issues, that is very encouraging!

In my prayers last night I thanked all of you for your support, thanked the universe for all the progress my husband is doing, and also reflected a lot about this weird camino we are walking now. A few days ago I had concerns about being able to go up the Picos de Europa. Now the challenge is to support my husband to be able to walk to the washroom - and when we get there we will be kings of the world, like when we went over Cebreiro and Alto da Portela.
GREAT NEWS!!!! Thanks The Lord!!!
Anamya, yesterday on Palm Sunday mass my thoughts and prayers were dedicated to both of you and prompt recovery of your husband. Everything you described; are baby steps toward his return to normal life. Just have faith, everything is on the Lord’s hands. Let’s keep praying for both of you.
Buen Camino.....

Day 5
Lunch time, I receive a call from a number I didn't know.
"What day is our flight?" - it was my husband's voice, the phone number was from the hospital ward.
"Hi dear, it would be on Friday..." <--- I was in shock
"And what day is TODAY?"
"Monday"
"Omg, omg, omg *desperate sobs* Where are you? Can you come here?"

I raced to the ward. He woke up. Fully. And is so sad, crying about the idea of postponing the camino.
I will call the social workers to give me a hand, my heart is broken to see him sad, and pumping to see him back. He is awake. He is alive. Life seems brighter now.

€149,-
Guys, I am completely shocked by the turn of events, and thanks for supporting me all the way here. I think a camino miracle happened.

Day 6 - He spent the day perfectly well. He was talking normally, chatting with us, could walk around the ward. Would get tired after a while, but that was just expected. jhis exams came back completely clear. No signs of infeccion, virus, tumors, bleedings, strokes, bruises, nothing of nothing.

According to the doctors, he was the healthiest person in the hospital, and that they ruled out physical causes. They would contact the psychologists and access stress-caused issues. Then she looked at me and said:
"If that is the case, the very thing you have to do is take him on a holiday to somewhere where he does not have to worry with anything but the basics: eating, sleeping and just smelling the flowers."

Can you imagine my shock when she said that? I mentioned I had flights booked to Spain, which I was about to cancel. "Wait until tomorrow, he may be able to do it. I don´t see any issues in him flying", she said.

Day 7 - More exams came clear. The psychologists evaluation came a stress-caused encefalopathia (or something like that), and they also recomended at least a week of a break (no stress, no reading news, no thinking of work or chores). The hospital discharged him and gave us a medical certificate for the next week. The doctor wished us all the best and even reinforced we should go on our trip, as a week away would do him good.

ISN'T IT A CAMINO MIRACLE?

I feel like yelling of happiness, I can´t believe. He is back, he is fit to travel, we ARE GOING!
We will probably not walk the Lebaniego anymore, as we dont want to force anything. But we will spend a week in Spain, take the bus to visit the Monastery of Liebana... We don´t have anything booked anyway, except the tickets and the hotel for the first night.

Guys, if there is a place that still abounds with love and comraderie, it is this forum. I can´t thank you guys enough for all the wishes, prayers, candles and support you guys gave us. That, added to the incredible efforts of the doctors and nurses, brought my husband back, in an unbelievably good outcome. A week ago he was barely a plant, and now he is in the living room, patting the cat, like he does every morning.

What a journey... Thanks for walking with me when I most needed. I love you all!

Guys, I am completely shocked by the turn of events, and thanks for supporting me all the way here. I think a camino miracle happened.

Day 6 - He spent the day perfectly well. He was talking normally, chatting with us, could walk around the ward. Would get tired after a while, but that was just expected. jhis exams came back completely clear. No signs of infeccion, virus, tumors, bleedings, strokes, bruises, nothing of nothing.

According to the doctors, he was the healthiest person in the hospital, and that they ruled out physical causes. They would contact the psychologists and access stress-caused issues. Then she looked at me and said:
"If that is the case, the very thing you have to do is take him on a holiday to somewhere where he does not have to worry with anything but the basics: eating, sleeping and just smelling the flowers."

Can you imagine my shock when she said that? I mentioned I had flights booked to Spain, which I was about to cancel. "Wait until tomorrow, he may be able to do it. I don´t see any issues in him flying", she said.

Day 7 - More exams came clear. The psychologists evaluation came a stress-caused encefalopathia (or something like that), and they also recomended at least a week of a break (no stress, no reading news, no thinking of work or chores). The hospital discharged him and gave us a medical certificate for the next week. The doctor wished us all the best and even reinforced we should go on our trip, as a week away would do him good.

I feel like yelling of happiness, I can´t believe. He is back, he is fit to travel, we ARE GOING!
We will probably not walk the Lebaniego anymore, as we dont want to force anything. But we will spend a week in Spain, take the bus to visit the Monastery of Liebana... We don´t have anything booked anyway, except the tickets and the hotel for the first night.

Guys, if there is a place that still abounds with love and comraderie, it is this forum. I can´t thank you guys enough for all the wishes, prayers, candles and support you guys gave us. That, added to the incredible efforts of the doctors and nurses, brought my husband back, in an unbelievably good outcome. A week ago he was barely a plant, and now he is in the living room, patting the cat, like he does every morning.

What a journey... Thanks for walking with me when I most needed. I love you all!
What a wonderful news! I am so happy for you and your husband. Have a wonderful tirp.

I'm sitting here with my mouth hanging open, @Anamya .
SO wonderful - this is beyond good news.

You just described exactly how I was talking to the doctor as well - my mouth hanging open and even some incredulity in my mind. But then the doctors and psychologist told us to go. You are completely right, it is beyond good, never we would imagine it could happen!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ana, maybe you have not realized it but you and your husband are already on the Camino more spiritual and substantial than any road in Spain could be. In the start I would have said. Don’t raise with your mind to the what if’s one step at the time. But you already managed that very well.
I’ll light a candle and say a prayer for you and all those injured amigos de Camino

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

€149,-

Amén. Plan to visit Santiago too..... that would be great. Please post photos...🤤🤤🤤
Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back