• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Camino Clock -- Best gift ever!

peregrina2000

Staff member
A few weeks ago I opened a huge package sitting on my doorstep to find a camino clock wrapped in a lifetime's supply of bubble wrap. Turns out that the woman I walked my very first Camino Frances with, and the Norte a few years later, had made this clock for me! The first segment is a camino scene, with the famous goat of the Norte, a miniature green fleece to remember her, and me walking (I'm the pendulum). The middle section is the clock face and scallop shell. And the top is the albergue, bunk beds and all, with our fondly remembered (and now essentially disappeared) green and blue phones. On one side is a meseta scene and credential, on the other an ocean (norte) scene and a compostela. I will attempt to insert a picture here, but there are a few more on my picasa site:
https://picasaweb.google.com/laurie.rey ... vufz-qCYA#

So, all you handy folks out there, get to work. I think this is just about the most original, imaginative and thoughtful gift I've ever gotten.

Attachments

• clock to upload.jpg
    clock to upload.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,355
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes it's truly wonderful, going to be a talking point in your house for a very long time :D

& whose Compostela is it on the side....yours?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
OOOOOoooooWeeeee!!! LOVE IT!!! What a wonderful gift!
I hope she doesn't mind if I copy the idea!

sillydoll said:
OOOOOoooooWeeeee!!! LOVE IT!!! What a wonderful gift!
I hope she doesn't mind if I copy the idea!

"So, all you handy folks out there, get to work. "
Sil,
With all the Camino's you've done, I can see you having to go into production :mrgreen:
Good Luck
David

Thanks for sharing Laurie.

Best gift for a pilgrim I've seen so far... :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Too late for this Christmas, but I think this may be the inspiration for a sculture for my difficult to buy for 88 year old Mother's next year.
Thanks for sharing
allan

The mural in the German confraternity albergue in Hospital del Orbigo. It is eerily similar to the lower part of the very beautiful clock!

Attachments

• Hospital del Orbigo.jpg
    Hospital del Orbigo.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,019
WOW! That clock is fantastic! I hope it's never mass produced, but I sure would like to have one of them...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Laurie, your Picasa photos have given my husband and me encouragement to go ahead with our plans to walk the Camino this Spring. We might start in Pamplona, as we're nervous about the SJDP beginning. I notice you don't wear full backpacks in your photos. Did you send them forward each day and just use daypacks? You are a great photographer!

I'm going to have to get my friend on here to bask in the glory you guys are heaping on her. I had a houseful at Thanksgiving, and got almost as many oohs and ahs over the clock as my 7 month grandson did (well, not quite).

I agree it is an incredible gift. And I forgot to tell you, there are stars cut out in the ceiling of the albergue,and a light that throws star shapes all over the ceiling. Incredible.

I'm pretty sure this would not be a money-making proposition; it took an amazing number of hours and work. I hope anyone who makes one will post the results, it's so easy to individualize to reflect a particular camino experience.

Promessi, I take way too many pictures, at least that's what my family always says, so I'm glad that there are some people who enjoy them! The pictures you refer to must be me after walking, because I always carry the same mountainsmith ghost backpack (pictured on my back in the clock's pendulum) with as little as I can get away with (usually around 17 pounds, I think). It has become very easy to have your pack transported, at least on the Camino Frances, and the nice thing is that you don't have to decide in advance. So long as you call before the time they require, you can set it up from one day to the next.

Abbeydore, the compostela is not one of mine, but my friend got a blank facsimile online, filled in my name, and shrank it to fit the side of the clock; same with the credencial. So ingenious! She also got some of the official camino signs and shrank them way down and printed them out in color. If we have a meeting in Chicago, maybe I can bring it up! Buen camino, Laurie

Wow Laurie,
You must feel so honoured to have a friend like that. The gift is wonderful!! You must be a treasured friend.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
peregrina2000 said:
A few weeks ago I opened a huge package sitting on my doorstep to find a camino clock wrapped in a lifetime's supply of bubble wrap. Turns out that the woman I walked my very first Camino Frances with, and the Norte a few years later, had made this clock for me! The first segment is a camino scene, with the famous goat of the Norte, a miniature green fleece to remember her, and me walking (I'm the pendulum). The middle section is the clock face and scallop shell. And the top is the albergue, bunk beds and all, with our fondly remembered (and now essentially disappeared) green and blue phones. On one side is a meseta scene and credential, on the other an ocean (norte) scene and a compostela. I will attempt to insert a picture here, but there are a few more on my picasa site:
https://picasaweb.google.com/laurie.rey ... vufz-qCYA#

So, all you handy folks out there, get to work. I think this is just about the most original, imaginative and thoughtful gift I've ever gotten.
That clock is so cool and very original. I love the use of the Camino credential.

This clock is such a personal gift. You are very fortunate to have a talented friend who knows just how to honor your accomplishments. Not sure which is more valuable, the clock or the friend.

Though it would be hard to beat last year's Camino Clock, this year I got a bottle of wine from San Martín de Valdeiglesias. My son took a list of my Camino de Levante stops to the liquor store and found this one. I have lots of fond memories of that little town, with an albergue on the third floor of the Ayuntamiento. Pilgrims get the keys to the town hall and can come and go, even though the place is closed after 3 pm. Not sure if the wine is any good, but the sentiment is much appreciated! Merry Christmas to all pilgrims who celebrate Christmas, Laurie

camino wine.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
No better gift than the work of human hands, heart and mind. Just fantastic - another gift of the Camino. Thank you.

That is quite the most lovely & special gift!!.....I have put today aside as a quiet & "crafty" kinda day, and your post has inspired me to start my long-overdue Camino mosaic ( mark 1!!)...thanks for the push ;-)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.