• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Camino conundrum!

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 PRIMITIVO 2022 LE PUY 2023
This is probably redundant and I know it is ultimately up to me but am torn on which Camino to do. I'm a 53 yr old solo perigrino with 15 days to hike. I was set on doing the Primitivo to SDC. But have heard services may be limited. Mind you. I am very self sufficient and independent. But having seen the WAY about 1 million times would also like to experience the first part. I have walked Astorga to SDC in 2016. What would be a reasonable end point for the first leg of the CF? pro's vs con's would be helpful to sway my decision!!! UGH. I will be going March 27- April 16th of next year.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This is probably redundant and I know it is ultimately up to me but am torn on which Camino to do. I'm a 53 yr old solo perigrino with 15 days to hike. I was set on doing the Primitivo to SDC. But have heard services may be limited. Mind you. I am very self sufficient and independent. But having seen the WAY about 1 million times would also like to experience the first part. I have walked Astorga to SDC in 2016. What would be a reasonable end point for the first leg of the CF? pro's vs con's would be helpful to sway my decision!!! UGH. I will be going March 27- April 16th of next year.
Could you split Camino into two parts? Next year do the second half ?

@EL LECHERO “services” on the Primitivo are limited compared to that linear city dubbed the Camino Frances. If you are genuinely “self sufficient and independent” you’ll have no problems IMO. Just be prepared to stop short or walk on. I walked Borres to the hotel above the dam at Grandas once because I wasn’t prepared to stop at La Mesa. It was a great decision. Me and the Night Porter had a great night and in the morning he would only charge me for breakfast. Apparently I hadn’t spent long enough time in the room. I made it to Castro despite the hangover.
Sure you could faff about with the first couple of weeks of the Frances- get to Burgos maybe - but the Camara Santa; Monte Naranco; Cornellana; that astonishing abandoned worker’s village at Grandas; Castro de Chao Samartin…
And that’s only the first part. You still have the best pulpo in Galicia, the Camino Verde and it’s Mithraic temple and Sobrado dos Monxes to come.

The Way? It’s a movie. The thousand roads, they’re where the fun lies 😉

Edit: I typed pulpo my phone said pulpit- go figure

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@EL LECHERO “services” on the Primitivo are limited compared to that linear city dubbed the Camino Frances. If you are genuinely “self sufficient and independent” you’ll have no problems IMO. Just be prepared to stop short or walk on. I walked Borres to the hotel above the dam at Grandas once because I wasn’t prepared to stop at La Mesa. It was a great decision. Me and the Night Porter had a great night and in the morning he would only charge me for breakfast. Apparently I hadn’t spent long enough time in the room. I made it to Castro despite the hangover.
Sure you could faff about with the first couple of weeks of the Frances- get to Burgos maybe - but the Camara Santa; Monte Naranco; Cornellana; that astonishing abandoned worker’s village at Grandas; Castro de Chao Samartin…
And that’s only the first part. You still have the best pulpo in Galicia, the Camino Verde and it’s Mithraic temple and Sobrado dos Monxes to come.

The Way? It’s a movie. The thousand roads, they’re where the fun lies 😉

Edit: I typed pulpo my phone said pulpit- go fi
What time of year did you do the Primitivo? Did you meet many people. I'll tell you one thing. I did not like how many people were walking the CF after Sarria in May.....

I’ve walked it in April and in September. The road got busier after Sobrado on the Norte. There’s waymarked routes these days that’ll keep you off the Frances practically to Monte Gozo
I'm excited to meet other perigrinos but don't want so many that it becomes diluted. I also just don't want to walk all alone. all the time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm excited to meet other perigrinos but don't want so many that it becomes diluted. I also just don't want to walk all alone. all the time.
In my experience on the Frances, the only time the path is congested with people is when everyone leaves the albergue in the morning. After that they naturally spread out along the path with the different walking paces.

If you want to do the first part of the Frances and then the Primitivo why not do that? I walked SJPdP to Irache (but you could stop in Pamplona unless you want to do the alto de person and Eunate. Then I took a bus to start the Norte but you could bus or train to Oviedo. When I walked I went a bit off the stages so
Oviedo-Cornella
Cornellana-Bodenaya
Bodenaya-campiello
Campillo-berducedo (hospitales)
Berducedo-A fonsagrada
Fonsagra -Lugo (this was a long day not on purpose)
Lugo- San Ramon
San Ramon- Arzua
Arzua-Monte Gozo (could have been SdC but I wanted to walk into SdC in am)

In theory you could cross the Pyrenees and still do the Primitivo in 15 days but it would be very tight schedule. I loved the Primitivo and walked in end of May/ early June (hospitales 1 Jun)—since you’re going so much earlier not sure about the weather but I don’t know anyone who’s regretted walking it. My very favorite.

Of course if you did the start of the Frances you’d need to walk Valcarlos

I’ve walked it in April and in September. The road got busier after Sobrado on the Norte. There’s waymarked routes these days that’ll keep you off the Frances practically to Monte Gozo
I don’t know if the OP cares about a compostela but I think someone once said the alternative routes from the Primitivo to the Frances aren’t recognized …is that true?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Camino Verde is not recognized. I stopped collecting Compostela a while ago now. The alternative route from the Norte is, so far as I’m aware.
Camino Verde is so beautiful and rural. Loved it!

At this time when on many smaller Caminos accommodation could be a problem then can I suggest the good old Frances. SJPdP to Burgos would be your 15 days and you would be assured of accommodation and company and would visit beautiful and historic places on the way. As a bonus the tortillas de patatas are much better in Navarra than anywhere-else on the Camino. In my experience they get worse as you travel west (and then there is the cheap Rioja and Pacharan, although that could just be me.) Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would start at the beginning, SJPP and walk to Burgos or perhaps a day or two beyond. I’ve done that and taken a taxi back to Burgos. And I’d spend that first night at Beilari’s across the tiny street from the Pilgrim Office to get your Camino off to a great start!

I would start at the beginning, SJPP and walk to Burgos or perhaps a day or two beyond. I’ve done that and taken a taxi back to Burgos. And I’d spend that first night at Beilari’s across the tiny street from the Pilgrim Office to get your Camino off to a great start!
I believe I'm leaning toward your suggestion. I would start at SJPP around March 28th/29th. When did you walk? How busy was it?

I believe I'm leaning toward your suggestion. I would start at SJPP around March 28th/29th. When did you walk? How busy was it?l
I walked once starting April 28 and the other time I started Sept 15. Both times were good. Lots of rain in Galicia in October! My preference is end of April because you have that fresh feeling of Spring for much of it and there was just a very positive spirit amongst peregrinos. There were more peregrinos at that time. I only needed reservations for the first 5 days however. WHO the hell knows what to expect in this post-pandemic era???

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.