• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

a camino game

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
We have been brainstorming ideas for a camino game (finetuning it will give the kids something to think about across the meseta!) My issue is that all the options discussed so far are based on competition and winning (which is the nature of most games I concede!) However, it is not the nature of a pilgrimage and I would love for us to come up with something co-operative. Any ideas?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmmm..... I'm imaging a "Pilgrims of Santiago" scenario modeled after "Settlers of Catan".....

Of course, if my previous experiences with Catan are any indicator, that would undoubtedly be brutally competitive, involve a great deal of trash talking, and end in total Camino domination..... with me being declared Queen of course.

There are some good cooperative boardgames that you might be able to take inspiration from. Games such as Pillars of the Earth (based on the book) all the players have to work together to build up resources in order to complete the cathedral. Another one based on Camelot has all the players pooling their individual skills to fend off the different threats faced by the court, so two might have to gather food while three build defences. In both cases the players win by accomplishing their goal, if not the board essentially wins. Something like that perhaps?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why not give each of the family members (adults included) a notepad and pencil at the start of the trip. Each day, each member scribbles down 5 or 6 things that they see, hear, smell, think of, etc. A couple of words or a single sentence on each will do. Then, later on in the evening, you all sit around for an hour and share and talk about what each of you have written. When you get back home after the Camino, the kids can pool all the scribbles together and devise a Camino journal. Or a book!!!

We have been brainstorming ideas for a camino game (finetuning it will give the kids something to think about across the meseta!) My issue is that all the options discussed so far are based on competition and winning (which is the nature of most games I concede!) However, it is not the nature of a pilgrimage and I would love for us to come up with something co-operative. Any ideas?

Well a walking version of I spy with my little eye is always an easy option but, as younger kids have higher 'play stamina' than teenagers/adults and can go on 'eye spying' for what can seem like hours, this needs to be managed. But by starting to play it 1-3km from your finishing point for the day or lunch/coffee stop you can provide a natural game termination point. If/when some of them become a bit bored with regular 'I spy' you can 'flip' it into 'I don't spy' this is where you say 'I didn't spy with my little eye....' and the object in the 'minds eye' can be wishful (an excalator ormoving walkway) fantastical, absurd, comic, whimsical or all of the above but it's always creative. There is no age/experience advantage and it usually gets them giggling.
Another observational/experiential game is to make a list of categories (this can be enlarged en route of course) like most unusual pilgrim (on a recent thread a pilgrim walking in flip flops and accompanied by his cat was mentioned-now that would win extra points!), 'bagging' pilgrims from the most countries/and or farthest starting point each day (and that could be cumulative), best/weirdest shaped cloud (this is especially good crossing the Meseta) or stone or tree etc, cutest dog, puppy, kitten, calf or foal etc. Best Cola cao/juice/tostada etc Noting changes-in building materials and styles (this can be slow incremental evolution into something different taking place over a number of days or a shockingly sudden 'round the corner' shift in techniques) to changes in plants/trees type and food ingredients. Funniest/rudest (don't worry nothing too graphic) sculpture (Fromista is a great place to start) poster or graffiti. Sharing daily funniest/oddest/spookiest/most exciting or curious (you get the drift!) moment (turning experience into a narrative and sharing it is a great way of understanding and, sometimes, helps to 'defuse' events). Coming up with the (theoretically;)) best Camino prank! (this one comes with a parental WARNING:eek:) The kids ID and note during the day and then 'debrief' either over the last 4km (always the killer km) or sometime over the evening to decide which is/are the daily winners.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi kiwi family,

How about a different family member at the end of each day tells the others their thoughts of today. They can do it through mime, drawing or along the lines of story-telling a tale of their day, or any other method they see fit. It makes everyone the focus at a different time, is non-competitive (or at least shouldn't turn out that way), and involves everyone at sometime.

With more days to walk than family members there's a good chance of multiple 'speaking turns' for everyone.

You usually never know what's inside the minds of younger people until they are truly encouraged to tell you.

You might need to set some ground rules for the listeners though because you are asking for thoughts which might turn out to be bit of feedback for each other.:eek:

Could some great family bonding going here, even for yours which seem pretty close already.

Buen Camino.

When walking from Miraz to Sobrado dos Monxes earlier this year, another pilgrim and myself tried to come up with as many words as we could starting with the letter "k" (her letter of choice). It was fiercely addictive and generated quite a few laughs. We had to walk a few extra k on a very hot afternoon as we missed a marker somewhere because of this linguistic exercise......ok, there may have been another reason.....
Peace, love.

OOPS - didn't quite make myself clear - we are thinking board game or card game (or downloadable app) that we could *make* for use at home afterwards. (Or to be included as part of the Kids Guide to the Camino that we just might write!)
However, I love the ideas for engaging with the journey that have come out on this thread too. I think the sharing of ideas such as suggested are exactly what make our best days together memorable (whether on the camino or not)
Sophie's World and Pillars of the Earth are now ordered at the library.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When I was a child ( more than 60 years ago) we had a set of booklets called I-spy. Each one o a certain theme. There were loads of things that we had to 'spy' and then complete the designated line with when and where. Once completed, you sent it to I can't remember where and gained something that I can't remember either! However, they were great for observation and entertainment ( obviously no technical gadgets in those days)!
If you had the time and patience Rachel, you could do a research on the interesting things they might see ( flora, fauna, historic, tradition, etc and make up.some sheets for each child! They would then have to be observant! I know it's a certain challenge on your part to compile, however it could be a possibility. Anne

Ah, yes, we've got that. Bought it in Santiago. Doesn't weigh much. Anne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ah, yes, we've got that. Bought it in Santiago. Doesn't weigh much. Anne

Do you remember exactly where you got it? We bought some of those silly little peregrino figures and waymarkers and came home and made a noughts-n-crosses board after our first walk. A board game might be a nice souvenir of our next walk.

I also like your idea of compiling some things they might see. My initial thought is to make little pictures that they can cut off an A4 sheet when they see it and stick it in their journal (and hopefully write about it). We were each given a postcard with lots of pictures in Rabanal and the kids searched for each photo in the ensuing days so I know they were engaged by this kind of idea. Alternatively, they could take photos along the way of interesting things and make their own Camino Treasure Hunt book to send to any future kiddie pilgrims!

Thanks for the info David. I have just ordered one and paid with paypal. Fingers crossed it arrives in Australia.

How about some kind of decluttering game, where you start with a full backpack and the idea is to empty your backpack before you get to Santiago. You throw a die and move between villages on the camino. Each time you land on a village you pick up a card which describes a project there eg ‘The albergue has a leaking roof. To fix it they need a camera a jumper and a pair of flip flops.‘ Some negotiation ensues with fellow players to amass the required goods, while protecting a few key items (boots, backpack, pacer poles etc). My thinking isn't very advanced yet.

Kiwi Mama,
Here's a possible idea that might be fun to chat about along the way. What if you introduced more randomness to the game journey so the forward momentum, or sense of accomplishment, would be impacted by many variables and priorities.

The game board could be set up with progressive squares (shells) like a meandering Monopoly board. Roll a die, count your spaces and move along. Frequently, there would be "Take a card" options. The game that inspired me along this line also included cards that jump you forward or back to specific squares (towns?) on the board. Sorry this is long, once I started I got on a roll.

Some "Take a card" ideas:

*Your pack weighs too much. On your next turn move only half the number of spaces.
*You are so tired but you want to get to the albergue with a communal meal. Move ahead one space.
*You decide to pick up every discarded plastic bottle you see today. Move ahead two spaces.
*5 km down the route you realize that you left your sleeping bag/sleep sack/only other shirt airing on the drying line of the last alburgue. Go back 2 spaces.
*It's Saturday afternoon, the ATM machine ate your bank card so you are here until Monday morning. Miss your next turn.
*The post office does not have the same hours as you have in your own town. You need to wait for the post office to open ....
*You decide you should have brought flip flops but every pair you find now weighs twice as much as the pair you left at home. You spend two hours shopping. ...
*You spend half a day washing all of your clothes and gear because of a bed bug scare. ...
*You have very bad blisters. You stop for a day to give them a chance to heal. Miss your next turn
*You invite that lone walker to join you for supper. Move ahead three spaces.
*You packed very wisely. Move ahead two spaces.
*You don't put your stuff on the chair because you realize there is no ladder to the top bunk so that person has to use the chair.

Do you remember exactly where you got it? !
Yes, if you turn right leaving the Pilgrim's Office, going towards the side door of the Cathedral, you have a fairly new museum on your right. It's the little shop after that just where the flight if steps goes up to the Cathedral side door. Anne

wawpdx, you're on our wave length - we have a page full of those kind of ideas....just trying to work out how to make them co-operative;-)
Annakappa, thanks for the directions - I've made a note of them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Could your game include observations along the way - nature (the first primrose, poppy, verbena, wild thyme, stork's nest, stork baby, robin redbreast, falcon, almond trees, vines, cherries etc), religious icons (statue of St James, Madonna and child, St Peter and his keys, etc), culture (pelota court, clogs, hand-shaped door knocker, Galician pipes). You could ask the children to observe and write up at the end of each day the things that are different from home and that they think should be included.
Maybe the game could be played in two teams (adults v kids) to enhance the cooperative nature of pilgrimage - people have always formed groups for mutual support as they travel along. Or a team of pilgrims trying to reach Santiago v a team of wily (Spanish, Moors, thieves - take your pick) trying to stop them!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.