• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A camino interview from Macleans magazine

peregrina2000

Staff member
I've never walked with a group of friends, there are usually just two or three of us, and this article suggests that's probably a better way to go. Has anyone had a good experience with a large group of friends?

Attachments

• macleans.doc
    35.5 KB · Views: 195
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Peregrina, for posting. A fascinating account of group dynamics! I find that, the more people involved, the more complicated it becomes to make even seemingly simple decisions. Splinter groups and factions as described in the article usually result.
Small is beautiful!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Life doesn't happen to me ............ it happens FOR me.

Nothing happens "outside" of my mind.

If my "relationships" are annoying, frustrating and upseting to me, it pays to look at my reactions rather than "pointing the finger" at those who seem to be causing problems TO me.

I draw 'circumstances' to me according to my mind-set and what better way than on a pilgrimage.

lillypond.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It does not seem to me that there was a group of friends. It was just a bunch of women that gathered to do the Camino and some of them did not really know what all was about; perhaps if they had chosen to go to a pic-nic in Coney Island the results would be the same. So, the problem was not the Camino. It may have been their motivations, their goals, their expectations, etc.. Their reasons might not even be religious - and that would not have been a problem - but they should at least know them. You don't leave your life for almost 40 days just to walk aimlessly around in a foreign country . This is silly...

I think a random group of middle-aged men wouldn't have lasted as long :D

No matter how long a journey - if my travel companions are confusion and turmoil (my mindset) it won't be long before I come undone :mrgreen: Let's face it we are never going to meet the 'perfect' fellow pilgrim !!

lillypond.

I am very disappointed when I read articles like this. I feel people are not treating the Camino with the respect it deserves. I really think it should be a solo or with one other person event, that way although you might have company in the refergio you can do your own thing during the day. It would seem too much of a distraction for my liking, and too disruptive to other prilgrims people travelling in "packs". The more I investigate the Camino I am getting disheartened by the negative stories I am beginning to hear.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
MaryS said:
I am very disappointed when I read articles like this. I feel people are not treating the Camino with the respect it deserves. I really think it should be a solo or with one other person event,

I've read the article and feel that it just shows another person's experience whilst doing their camino. I'm sorry but i can't agree with the comment that they were not respecting the camino - the camino is different for everyone. what you might want to get out of it will be different to another. in the true camino spirit we need to remember everyone will arrive at the camino from a different place mentally to our own. how they do their journey, who they travel with and the number they travel with, will be their own way of approaching the camino. some people need groups to have the courage to go out there and do it. myself, i prefer to travel alone but i can understand others who may lack experience, confidence etc and will want to travel in a group. i really don't think we can say that the camino should be undertaken solo or whatever. it's how we treat the locals, our fellow pilgrims, the countryside etc along the way that is important, and what sort of spirit we do all this in. i'm glad the leader of the group broke away from the others to avoid the bitchiness that was happening. being part of the group initially has probably taught her some valuable life lessons about people and group dynamics that will help her in other areas of her life. any way we approach the camino is of value - solo, as a couple or part of a big group.

Yeah, walking in large groups is not advisable. You take on all the problems of anyone else. Walking alone or with one companion is the best. (Three is a crowd; it causes irritation; just try it out). I heard someone in a large group - taking a break - say: Is this a short or a long stop?

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back