• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Camino like no other

• Thread starter Former member 49149
  • Start date
F

Former member 49149

A long, long time ago… in 2006 I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago. A friend had an unexpected two month period free while she was in transition between jobs. She asked if I would walk with her. I was terrified! Me? A lazy being with no history of any exercise whatever? Long story short, 150km practice walks, bought the usual minimum of gear and set off on Friday 23rd June. 29 days later, arrived in Santiago. Plenty of ups and downs along the way, but this story is not about that camino.
So, why is this one not like any other?
Well, my camino is not listed on any forum. It consists of a concrete laneway at the back of our house in Dublin, Ireland. It takes me 80 steps from end to end but then I do have short steps. At present I am not allowed to leave the house or garden. Well, the lane is the equivalent of a garden. It is shared by 20 houses, ten on each side. So far, since lockdown, I have only seen a dad and son playing football, and my own community companion using the lane as well as myself. The dad and son were very happy to leave out the football for my companion. She likes kicking it up and down. The lane is closed at one end by a wall, and at the other by a gate.

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 12.44.21.pngScreenshot 2020-04-04 at 12.43.42.pngScreenshot 2020-04-04 at 14.08.53.png

I had been forcing myself to walk up and down for a certain amount of km. I got tired of that. A friend was admitted to hospital, probably not with the virus, but… in fact, no sign of the virus, but another health problem. In any case, that led me to say: here I am, safe and sound, able to walk where there are three other users of the space, and I can roam around the world in my mind and heart while I walk up and down. I can focus on the wonderful people who are right there on the frontline of this battle with the invisible enemy that is Covid19. Then there are all the supporting actors in every possible walk of life, protecting the frontlines, as well as the backbenchers.
So my camino that is unlike any other calls on an element from my first camino: dedicating the joys and sorrows of each day to someone in my life. That person did not know, but I knew. Equally, the tens of thousands I am thinking of do not know, but I know. That is what keeps my feet moving. Speaking of which, it is time to go out while there’s nobody else in the lane! See you later…
Now, a word about the albergue. Singular, in more ways than one.
No matter how far I walk, I always find the door open in the same albergue. I do not know how this happens, but it is always the same one. I walk through the door from the lane into the yard, and then into the kitchen. The kettle is always on, and I am free to use whatever is there. In the fridge, on the counter…Before leaving this morning I had a toasted home made wholemeal muffin with some cheese. For my first rest period I had a cup of cafe con leche – a rare treat! then I just popped in from time to time for water.
At lunchtime, the hospitalera had prepared sausages, with some leftover potatoes from yesterday. Just what the doctor ordered. Shoes off, and some social time. Then, el vecino offered to bring the newspaper. Very kind, for reading later.
So off I went again. At 15km I decided: enough for today.
Who did I dedicate my walk to today? To the countless unnamed persons: daughters, sons, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, fathers, mothers – who are going out every day into the lion’s den. Whether medical personnel, or other essential workers – such as the pharmacist who will drop in my prescription when she is closing at the end of the day. such as the people who have dedicated their time and resources to supporting the elderly who have been told to stay at home, the people who are waiting to support the vulnerable who cannot manage to keep a level balance as a result of the Covid19 and what it is doing to their mental health.the delivery couriers, the bus drivers, the drivers for the Cancer patients, and there are so many more. It took me a while, but I roamed around Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, and all the other countries in Europe. Let’s not cut UK out just yet.
So, as we approach the vigil of Palm Sunday I can look out of the upstairs window at the back of the albergue, and I see some pretend palm trees. Good enough. I still have some from last year, so all will be well. at this time, everything is happening ‘like no other’. we won’t go back to normal. At least, I hope not. We have to learn from this not normal first.
till next time!
View from upstairs window:
Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 12.43.21

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Brilliant, @kirkie!
Let's all do our own version of this, dedicating our energies for the welfare of all.
A lane, a balcony, a corridor, a stairwell, a garden. Wherever we are we can walk, and access that beautiful camino feeling of just needing only to take the next step. And wishing each other well...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for sharing your present caminowalk. It made me think that I do not have to be in Spain to walk the Camino, it is in my hearth and my mind. Even though I can't walk in Spain, I can still feel and have the energy from the Camino. Walking can be a break from these sad and lonely times and when I'm walking with the Camino feeling inside me it brings me back to the friends, I met on the Camino.

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 16.54.05.png Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 17.00.36.png

Day two of a Camino like no other.

Just like on other caminos, in some respects.
It is Sunday after all, so a later start, around 8am. I missed the glorious red sky that foretold the rain that is much closer now. The Nordic walking poles are wonderful for my posture, and help me along. No, they do not click clack because they have the best shoes to prevent that. Four segments today, 16.4km. Sometimes a bit of a drag but then I remembered Carlos. Carlos is from Portugal. We met at the start of the camino from Oporto, and kept in tandem for about six days before he had to go faster. He was such a lovely fellow! A smile to warm the heart of any old grouch. Bald as a coot, but I think that is just the way he likes it, not for any other reason. His shiny sun-tanned face and white, white teeth spread joy actually. Another of our walking pals during those days was very upset when Carlos had to go faster. Isn’t that one of the lessons of any camino? We cannot hold on to anyone, anything, any moment. We cannot return to the same place.

I began by going back to before I was born: running around the Inishowen peninsula, from whence my forebears moved in search of a better life, ending up in the West of Scotland. Did they walk? How else would they have travelled? Maybe somebody had a cart! There had to be boats…. A bit of research is called for now!

I walked while being aware of gratitude that I can, in safety. I remembered this day in my childhood, the theatre of this time in the Christian calendar. I want to get a copy of two films: Jesus Christ, Superstar, and Jesus of Montreal. I had them as videos, but that was in the dark ages! I probably wandered around in my mind a good bit, but then pulled myself together: today is for Africa. Pay attention, Sandra.

How many people in that continent? How many countries? I have no idea. I could cheat and look it up, but instead I will remember the shape of the Peters projection map. And I thought of some of the people I met on a brief visit to Morocco in 2018. Who will look after them? I thought of some of the people I know from that continent. And so I walked, and walked, and covered kilometres while tracing the outline of the map in my mind’s eye. Willing for a magic wand. No magic wand. So, once more, just walking, focussing, praying.

And, as on each camino, a tiny treasure stopped me in my tracks. Beauty in the cracks.
Till the next time. It might be next weekend. Depends on how much concentration I find for some of the stuff that sits looking hopefully up at me from my desk…

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A long, long time ago… in 2006 I walked from Roncesvalles to Santiago. A friend had an unexpected two month period free while she was in transition between jobs. She asked if I would walk with her. I was terrified! Me? A lazy being with no history of any exercise whatever? Long story short, 150km practice walks, bought the usual minimum of gear and set off on Friday 23rd June. 29 days later, arrived in Santiago. Plenty of ups and downs along the way, but this story is not about that camino.
So, why is this one not like any other?
Well, my camino is not listed on any forum. It consists of a concrete laneway at the back of our house in Dublin, Ireland. It takes me 80 steps from end to end but then I do have short steps. At present I am not allowed to leave the house or garden. Well, the lane is the equivalent of a garden. It is shared by 20 houses, ten on each side. So far, since lockdown, I have only seen a dad and son playing football, and my own community companion using the lane as well as myself. The dad and son were very happy to leave out the football for my companion. She likes kicking it up and down. The lane is closed at one end by a wall, and at the other by a gate.

View attachment 72490View attachment 72491View attachment 72492

I had been forcing myself to walk up and down for a certain amount of km. I got tired of that. A friend was admitted to hospital, probably not with the virus, but… in fact, no sign of the virus, but another health problem. In any case, that led me to say: here I am, safe and sound, able to walk where there are three other users of the space, and I can roam around the world in my mind and heart while I walk up and down. I can focus on the wonderful people who are right there on the frontline of this battle with the invisible enemy that is Covid19. Then there are all the supporting actors in every possible walk of life, protecting the frontlines, as well as the backbenchers.
So my camino that is unlike any other calls on an element from my first camino: dedicating the joys and sorrows of each day to someone in my life. That person did not know, but I knew. Equally, the tens of thousands I am thinking of do not know, but I know. That is what keeps my feet moving. Speaking of which, it is time to go out while there’s nobody else in the lane! See you later…
Now, a word about the albergue. Singular, in more ways than one.
No matter how far I walk, I always find the door open in the same albergue. I do not know how this happens, but it is always the same one. I walk through the door from the lane into the yard, and then into the kitchen. The kettle is always on, and I am free to use whatever is there. In the fridge, on the counter…Before leaving this morning I had a toasted home made wholemeal muffin with some cheese. For my first rest period I had a cup of cafe con leche – a rare treat! then I just popped in from time to time for water.
At lunchtime, the hospitalera had prepared sausages, with some leftover potatoes from yesterday. Just what the doctor ordered. Shoes off, and some social time. Then, el vecino offered to bring the newspaper. Very kind, for reading later.
So off I went again. At 15km I decided: enough for today.
Who did I dedicate my walk to today? To the countless unnamed persons: daughters, sons, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins, fathers, mothers – who are going out every day into the lion’s den. Whether medical personnel, or other essential workers – such as the pharmacist who will drop in my prescription when she is closing at the end of the day. such as the people who have dedicated their time and resources to supporting the elderly who have been told to stay at home, the people who are waiting to support the vulnerable who cannot manage to keep a level balance as a result of the Covid19 and what it is doing to their mental health.the delivery couriers, the bus drivers, the drivers for the Cancer patients, and there are so many more. It took me a while, but I roamed around Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, and all the other countries in Europe. Let’s not cut UK out just yet.
So, as we approach the vigil of Palm Sunday I can look out of the upstairs window at the back of the albergue, and I see some pretend palm trees. Good enough. I still have some from last year, so all will be well. at this time, everything is happening ‘like no other’. we won’t go back to normal. At least, I hope not. We have to learn from this not normal first.
till next time!
View from upstairs window:
Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 12.43.21

I'm writing from a small town south of the border of British Columbia - Bellingham, Washington. I've walked about 10 different routes of the Spanish Camino. I'm hurting and grieving for the many Spanish comrades in isolation during this time. I concur with Kirkie. Please all of us peregrinos, let us be mindful in our hearts of the many suffering the world over. We are all connected. We know this. Let's walk it, believe it, share it and love it - all the moments of our lives the world over.

Analeise Volpe

We are all connected. We know this. Let's walk it, believe it, share it and love it - all the moments of our lives the world over.
I'm in.

In all the walking we do these days - let's join together with @kirkie on this camino of the heart. We can share our prayers, intentions, and well-wishing here - that is, if you are ok with that, @kirkie?

Anything that will lift us from looking only at the ground and not at the stars... My style is mine and may not appeal to many. However, this space is for everyone and I will be delighted to see other contributions on the topic, the title can be used to your different purposes. I forgot to mention the albergue yesterday, so I can pick up on that now. I continue to be amazed that it is always the same one, no matter how far I walk. This morning I met un vecino and he was rather impressed when I replied to his question about walking up and down, that today is for Australia and New Zealand, yesterday was for Africa. he asked for a few prayers for himself. Done. Anyway, when I had walked my allotted time I came in to the yard and to the kitchen where I watched the hospitalera prepare a delicious poached egg, slicing a home made brown bun into three, and putting a tiny drop of something called Peanut rayu on the side of the plate. Hot! Just as well the albergue is not busy. Makes me think of those albergues that are closed for the present, and am screwing up my face intensely, praying for all those whose livelihoods are in the red danger zone.
No competition for the shower so off I go. See you anon.
Morning glory, and the little beauties of yesterday are just waking up...
7D39514B-0B05-4CB8-9EB2-0E684E828351.jpeg BD11C673-D8F6-4356-A2BE-194FA1D3BE0B.jpeg 9A550E89-AD9A-4EC4-8C4B-1C8D5F37010D.jpg

Edit: this is for you all, down under:

Last edited by a moderator:
A very funny start to the day. Funny as in odd, not hilarious. Filling my mind, music. First, the song from the album Pilgrim, entitled The Deer's Cry. It is my alarm sound, but today I remembered it being sung at the inauguration of the President of Ireland about 9 years ago. A wonderful, inclusive ceremony.
After breakfast, and the strange part begins here, I was in Zabaldika, I went into the church for a moment. I heard again, and felt again, the most beautiful human instrument - a voice - intoning a Jewish lament. a pilgrim from Germany had sung that in the church some years ago when I was there. Nobody stirred, all transfixed...
The next piece of music was coming slowly, but surely, from behind, from the direction of Larrasoaña. The marching feet, the support of many united in song: Dum Pater Familias. That accompanied me along the path towards Trinidad de Arre. I was so very aware that while the sun showed only my shadow, I was surrounded by ghosts of times past.
And on to the next song: Yann Derrien.
I followed the yellow arrows, skirting the mountain side, heading towards Trinidad de Arre, and further. I am planning to go to South America today. In my dreams, in my footsteps, in my short times of walking up and down the lane that is being transformed by the meaning I am putting into my exercise. Even here, I can imagine the families that lived in the houses a hundred years ago, when there were no walls, just back gardens with flowers and vegetables.
Now, to help hang up the washing. Virtual reality is sometimes such a treat,, letting us revert to childhood. I recall clearly at school, when it was our section of the school who had control of the playground, we girls hurried to create our little houses, and the boys just raced around kicking the footballs... just like children still are when removed from their devices!
Onward and upward, to Argentina and all countries around...

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, North America. I have been there. A few times. From West to east, and east to west. I know some people. Including some family, in Canada. And many of my religious community sisters. and some others, including some of the forum members, in reality or virtually. My walking today, the fifth day 'walking around the world' camino like no other, is for the millions who live on that land mass. Without prejudice to race or colour or creed.
So, the first song? No one is an island. Remember that one? As I walked this morning earlier, I just kept on thinking, repeating: what does it mean to ask for protection? Just the people I name? Or everyone? Help! From where shall come my help? Who did this? Too late for that question. Next one: how can I be part of not letting it get worse, or happening again a hundred times more terrible? Next song: when will we ever learn?... and then, time for a break, and some work at the laptop, and thanks to the albergue, the amazing albergue always at my disposal. Thanks. For everything. Even this dreadful school of learning.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
What day is this? Even on a fanciful camino it is possible to let the days merge so that it is difficult to keep track... I am getting ready to go out from the albergue. This day has its own framework, and onto it I will superimpose the map of many countries. I will focus my attention on the wonderful people who are not baulking, in spite of their level of fear for themselves, to care for those suffering from the virus. If I pass the albergue again during the zoom call, I might call in... so, off I go, and if you like you can roam around these many countries with me...

Attachments

• D2E1B9EE-3673-4663-9776-F10B7B9DCB1A.jpeg
    D2E1B9EE-3673-4663-9776-F10B7B9DCB1A.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 12
and if you like you can roam around these many countries with me...
Well I am sitting in one of them, as you walk. Gratefully receiving the well-wishing! 🙏

walking up and down the lane that is being transformed by the meaning I am putting into my exercise.
This is gorgeous, thank you...
Even this dreadful school of learning.
Yeah, it is, isn't it? And we're all attending class together...may we all pass!

Now, an experiment to see if I can post a live from the camino video!
Not much luck.It is too big. If anyone wants to see an unexciting 2 minute video of my lockdown walking arena, send me a pm and I will let you in to my drop box, hopefully, to view.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Today, North America. I have been there. A few times. From West to east, and east to west. I know some people. Including some family, in Canada. And many of my religious community sisters. and some others, including some of the forum members, in reality or virtually. My walking today, the fifth day 'walking around the world' camino like no other, is for the millions who live on that land mass. Without prejudice to race or colour or creed.
Walking along the river, here on the west coast of Canada, I thought of you overtaking me and passing by with a wave. It made me smile as does this wonderful thread with it's beautiful thoughts, stories and images 🙏 Onward @kirkie! 🌞 Buen Camino.

Thought I'd share here, within this thread: "Silence At The Heart Of Things", written by the Canadian fiddler and composer Oliver Schroer for his beautiful album "Camino". I listened to the album again during my walk this morning and it feels so right for our times right now. The songs on the album were recorded in churches along the camino and there is lovely ambient sound as well...pilgrim footsteps, church bells, birds. Oliver passed away 12 years ago from leukemia and he is greatly missed. This was recorded at his final concert.

Last edited:
Your post is so full of meaning, @Theatregal. I am going to share if I may with some others...
Yesterday, I could not find a way to easily post my little video, so although I wrote no more words, I walked, and tried to cover the map.
Everywhere, angels in protective clothing, wearing themselves out so that another might have the best chance to live.
I will go back there today because I need to, and I will include Russia as well today. And Greenland. There is nobody else astir in the albergue, and the silence is powerful. Almost finished my coffee, and off I will go. It feels sombre today. And there is a magnetic draw to the current epicentre, dividing my heart’s attention... I wonder if the little weed flowers are surviving?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So, @David S. Coleman, let's begin today with the little weed flowers. See! They are still here! A bit early for them, but they have still a few days to be warmed up and enlivened by the sun.
Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 09.45.43.png
it was a bit grey as I started my walk this morning. The sun is struggling, but I have hope. The seagulls were circling, screaming, having a field day. I wondered if one of them belongs to the Jonathan Livingstone clan...
I returned to the same vast territories that were in my mind's eye yesterday, adding even more today; Greenland and Russia. That will be the completion of my camino like no other, by the end of this day. As on other caminos, this is a bittersweet moment. Arriving, having longed for it, and yet holding back, it cannot end so soon...
We are each and all on a camino, and today we can meet and join in our hearts, just being on the way. Noticing what is in front of us, beside, above, behind, and within.
I was looking at something that is pertinent to this day, known as Good Friday. The title of the reflection was: God's Folly.
Here is some of what Wikipedia has to say of the word folly:
In English, the term began as "a popular name for any costly structure considered to have shown folly in the builder", the OED's definition,[2] and were often named after the individual who commissioned or designed the project. The connotations of silliness or madness in this definition is in accord with the general meaning of the French word "folie"; however, another older meaning of this word is "delight" or "favourite abode".[3] This sense included conventional, practical, buildings that were thought unduly large or expensive, such as Beckford's Folly, an extremely expensive early Gothic Revival country house that collapsed under the weight of its tower in 1825, 12 years after completion. As a general term, "folly" is usually applied to a small building that appears to have no practical purpose or the purpose of which appears less important than its striking and unusual design, but the term is ultimately subjective, so a precise definition is not possible.

Of course, fool and foolish etc come from the same root. Always, though, my wanderings return to the reason for my camino: holding up the untold thousands who are wearing themselves out for others. Maybe that will be someone I know, but it doesn't matter, each one is someone. These people, each one, is doing something heroic, I am humbled by that, when all I can do is walk up and down, up and down, up and down. David, thank you for your words, for your simplicity in sharing your tears. Mine are rising. It is healing indeed to be able to cry.
I am so thankful for this albergue. On my first camino, in Castilla and Leon, access to wifi and desktops was free! Same here. Whenever I want to, I have free access. All I need is time. I have that today. I am going to stop soon, and offer the other pilgrim a cup of tea.
Later, to continue my camino of standing with those who are doing what I cannot do.
Till later, dear fellow pilgrims.

So soon! This has finished too soon. It made it easier to know that I was being accompanied, you know. I was going to say it’s no joke marching up and down a lane way that yields 4km every 45 minutes: turn, walk, turn, walk. I did say it. How else would you know that this chicken is mighty glad in some ways to be cocooned. Yes, my intention for this past week has been to sonehow transform my dull, repetitive walking up and down, up and down into something else. Into what? Quite simply, a fairly miniscule show of solidarity with all the ordinary heroes who are living their vocation as members of the health services all over the world. Today I caught a reverse show of solidarity and thanks: the staff in a local hospital were standing on the 2 metre distance lines clapping to thank the public!
The gestures of solidarity are endless and often, I guess, untold. Tomorrow night for example, a new one will be “Shine a Light”. People are being encouraged to shine a light at 9pm just to say: thanks, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. The national tv station is promoting this:
RTÉ Director-General Dee Forbes said: “This global pandemic is affecting each and every person in our society so let’s come together for this moment where we can express solidarity with each other while we remain separated from friends and family. ”
“Let’s light up our homes or light a candle to remember all of those who have lost their lives to Covid-19 and their loved ones. Let’s also remember and thank our key frontline staff for their ongoing heroic work throughout this crisis.”

“Light reaches across all boundaries and as we watch the light flicker, perhaps we will see a glimmer of hope, in this time of fear and distancing.”

Endings can be hard. This ending is going to be strange. I will stop my posting about this camino like no other, but I will keep walking. What else can I do when we are now to be cocooned till May 12th? I am so thankful for every minute of this week of turning my walking into something, even just in my fanciful mind, into something bigger, a tiny effort at saying thank you to all those wonderful people who are looking after all the sick.
I have been using images by a German artist, Sieger Koder, this week. For Sunday, following a tip from a forum friend, I will use one by Marc Chagall.

1586550835188.png

Koder was clearly influenced by Chagall. I leave you with this lovely piece of connection with “the” camino to Santiago. Gute Weg!
The German priest-painter Sieger Köder has died in Ellwangen, Germany, on 9 February 2015, shortly after his 90th birthday. Born in Wasseralfingen in Swabia, Köder was a prisoner of war during World War II and also participated in the Catholic Neudeutschland movement. He trained as a silversmith and painter and worked for some years as a secondary school art teacher. At the age of 41 he went to study theology in Tübingen and was ordained a priest in 1971. He combined his vocation as a parish priest with his work as an artist, producing numerous paintings, altarpieces and stained glass windows for churches within and outside Germany. He continued painting long into his retirement, decorating the St. James Pilgrim House in Hohenberg with a series of remarkable external murals and setting up eleven stations on the Franconian-Swabian Camino route to Santiago de Compostela.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is a kind of a limbo day. Scrambling round in my head for a song, and this one came up. I loved this film. Watching this clip now, I am applying the words to us, people, everywhere. We can’t rewind the tape. We have to start again! Someone in another thread wrote of clearing out cupboards, stuff to give away... yes. And some day, soon, but not yet, we will be able to start again. That is my gift from the universe today. Give up my old ways. Can I? I am made of layers of years of habits and ways of responding. So, now I have a new motivation for my walking up and down, up and down. Searching through my old ways and seeing what I can throw out and have ready to take to the dump when this is just a (bad) dream and we all wake up!
Alleluia!
So first, Could we start again please, and second; Leonard, dear departed Leonard...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you so much for all of this. What an inspiration. I love your words, your pictures, and your idea. I know that I need to walk every day, and sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't feel like I can. Now I have a new focus for those days when I think "meh" and let the mind-goblins get to me. Your idea makes walking into a prayer, and I needed to hear that today.

Thank you so much for all of this. What an inspiration. I love your words, your pictures, and your idea. I know that I need to walk every day, and sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't feel like I can. Now I have a new focus for those days when I think "meh" and let the mind-goblins get to me. Your idea makes walking into a prayer, and I needed to hear that today.
I am so glad if my fanciful idea has helped provide you with a motivation for getting out. It has included a rare phenomenon here. Sunshine every day! and @chinacat was asking about blisters. Nary a one. The good news is that with rain expected tomorrow, that fits right into the notion of a rest day. That was something missing from all my other caminos...perhaps I will finally get to finish last Saturday's paper before starting today's!
Betsy, you just keep your head up high, walk tall, and do it!

Kirkie - I went for a walk this very afternoon, inspired by your post. May our walking prayers help! I'm reminded of some of the intentions of medieval pilgrims on the Camino - they walked as a form of prayer to ask for healing for themselves or others. Thanks for inspiring me to do the same.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Happy Easter everyone and keep hopeful
Reading these posts has inspired me and I felt I did not contribute something to inspire others.
In Scotland I often hear a radio program called Sounds of the Earth which comes under BBC's Slow Radio theme. This is available on the podcather I use (Player FM) so it might be available outside UK. I have used it in Spain and Portugal on various Caminos.
Some examples which inspire me whether at home or on local walks:
The Sounds of Al-Andalusia
Bach Walks (series of podcasts describing his 400km walk to Lubeck).
Cattle Blessing on the Burren (special landscape in West of Ireland)
Monks and Meditation (from Benedictine Monks at Pluscarden Abbey, Scotland)
Slow Sheep in Southern Spain
Player FM say they have 65 episodes. I have picked few from Spain, Scotland or Ireland but lots from around the world.
They might inspire even one person out there. I've not been a blogger at all but always have things I want to say!
My 2020 Camino was supposed to be in Portugal in March (travelling by train from Scotland) - I cancelled on 28th February.
Hope to be a Camino pilgrim again one day.
God Bless all here.
Ena

On my rest day! A few km only up and down, up and down, and now thoroughly enjoying listening to The Messiah live from Sydney Opera house on Youtube!

If it ever stops snowing here, I hope to get walking again. I had one short walk (2 km.) with my brother this week, keeping our distance on the only sunny day. But when it gets warm and sunny, as on a weekend a couple of weeks ago, the streets near my home are crowded with people walking in groups.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back