• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Camino-themed stroll in London

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
While walking the Via de la Plata recently a friend asked me if the Portico de la Gloria is open to the public again. Sadly I think it's only accessible as part of a group tour. It used to be a very moving experience to arrive in the Obradoiro square at the end of your Camino, walk up the steps, through the "modern" Gothic/Baroque facade and then discover the Romanesque Portico. Pausing to put your hand on the Tree of Jesse pillar in the marks worn by many thousands of pilgrims over the centuries. Nod to Master Mateo on the inside face of the pillar. Then walk straight up the central aisle towards the high altar. With your rucksack still on your back. No longer possible and unfortunately entering the cathedral by a side door lacks the dramatic effect!

I'm staying with family in London today and I remembered that there is a full-size plaster cast of the Portico in the V&A museum. An enormous piece of very detailed work. So I went to see it again after many years. I then walked to Trafalgar Square. The Camino connection? On the corner of Trafalgar Square where Northumberland Avenue meets Whitehall there is a Tesco Express and Pret a Manger. But for several hundred years pre-Reformation that was the site of St Mary Rounceval. A pilgrim hospital and a daughter house of the great monastery at Roncesvalles. It was the religious house for which Chaucer's Pardoner sold his indulgences. So in the space of a couple of hours I walked from the Portico to Roncesvalles (sort of...) :cool:

IMG_20220317_123322.jpg
IMG_20220317_123154.jpg
IMG_20220317_123216.jpg
IMG_20220317_155814.jpg

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Excellent!

There’s so much out there if you know where to look.

On my first visit to Florence many years ago I found myself in front of the famous Duomo Baptistry doors (Ghiberti). ‘Hang on a moment!’ I said ‘I’ve seen these before’.

And so I had; one of the very few cast reproductions in the Harris Museum in Preston, Lancashire as a child with my grandfather.

While walking the Via de la Plata recently a friend asked me if the Portico de la Gloria is open to the public again. Sadly I think it's only accessible as part of a group tour. It used to be a very moving experience to arrive in the Obradoiro square at the end of your Camino, walk up the steps, through the "modern" Gothic/Baroque facade and then discover the Romanesque Portico. Pausing to put your hand on the Tree of Jesse pillar in the marks worn by many thousands of pilgrims over the centuries. Nod to Master Mateo on the inside face of the pillar. Then walk straight up the central aisle towards the high altar. With your rucksack still on your back. No longer possible and unfortunately entering the cathedral by a side door lacks the dramatic effect!

I'm staying with family in London today and I remembered that there is a full-size plaster cast of the Portico in the V&A museum. An enormous piece of very detailed work. So I went to see it again after many years. I then walked to Trafalgar Square. The Camino connection? On the corner of Trafalgar Square where Northumberland Avenue meets Whitehall there is a Tesco Express and Pret a Manger. But for several hundred years pre-Reformation that was the site of St Mary Rouncival. A pilgrim hospital and a daughter house of the great monastery at Roncesvalles. It was the religious house for which Chaucer's Pardoner sold his indulgences. So in the space of a couple of hours I walked from the Portico to Roncesvalles (sort of...) :cool:

View attachment 120773
View attachment 120774
View attachment 120775
View attachment 120776
I love it! Its amazing how the roots of the Way reach out as if from a great tree to grow another sister route. The Way is always there under your feet, no matter where you are :) It cheers me up when I cannot physically be in Iberia!

Gracias y Buen Camino

Samarkand.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back