• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A camino through Lourdes

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's part of the Piémont Way at start, over a variant to the final part of the Cami Catalan via Huesca, leading into the Aragonés from Jaca.

The variant over the Pyrenees may not have its own special Camino name, as it's one of a dozen or more of such tertiary routes over those mountains.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is the Voie du Piemont (GR 78) up to either Sainte-Colome or Oloron-Sainte-Marie where you can basically take a left and head over the Jaca pass. If you take the route at Sainte-Colome as Felipe says it is called the Voie d'Ossau (GR 108). The Voie du Piemont then carries on to join the Camino Frances at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. The routes are all marked to the GR standard which is generally quite good but it is still possible to get lost as signs sometime can be obscured by plant growth. If you do get lost, you can use Google Maps or MAPS.ME to orientate you to the next village. I suggest googling GR 108 for more details.

I went this way. It's not really waymarked on the Spanish side, there is boards or signs occasionally telling you this is the Camino de Santiago,I used the guide I picked up in the pilgrims house in Arudy at the start of the Void d Ossau to keep in mind which way I should be walking
I stayed in two places on the French Side after Arudy, an Albergue in Laruns and then a B+B in Gabas, I would book the later one in advance. I turned up at 5ish absolutely knackered and got the last place, literally pulling up at the same was a couple on their tandem who missed out. After Gabas within about 100 metres you come to a split off,you either can go right which takes you by the pic du midi and onto Somport or left which takes via Portalet a less higher way, there is shops and a hotel about half way on the frontier, its still 1900 metres and it leads you to Sallent du Gallego.
The French Side after Laruns is a bit of killer, Caminka on this forum walked it in 2012ish, she went the pic du midi way, and the blog you posted he walked it the year after me. They both walked the road from Eaux Chaudes which is about half way between Laruns and Gabas, I followed the Chemin, it was one of the most difficult sections I have done anywhere, I would go via the road next time, I was destroyed a bit and didn't feel capable of going fully over the Pyrenees the next day, so I got a taxi to Sallent,I didn't have the option of staying on in the B+B the next day as it was booked out.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here there is a general guide, topo info and Google Earth downloadable files. I looked at GE, and this way looks beautiful :) but very, very tough. There is a stage that seems to me way out of my league....:(

The guide I had gave the route being 15 Kms from Laruns to Gabas, that link does as well. I'm going to disagree, I'm pretty sure its 20+.It was tough going,I started at 8am and apart from taking a break for 30 minutes in a Eaux Chaudes I was constantly at it. As it says it's a very narrow gorge, and it's covered in lush vegetation. There is no straightish path taking you constantly forward sometimes you go are going backwards, sometimes zig zagging, sometimes clambering down a slope hoping your backpack doesn't give you that extra momentum when you hit the path/ledge.It definitely felt like take a step forward then take two steps back kinda day , I remember using a guide cable to hold on to at one point as I went along on a narrow path with a steep drop. You are never more than 40-50 metres from the road which connects Spain and France, but it feels like it might as well be on another continent, on the 2nd half there is usually a drop to the fast flowing river between you and the road. I'm not usually bothered about walking alone, I become absorbed with the details and the efforts of the moment but there was a few times on that day I wished I was with another person for safety. Ironically when I got the taxi the next day, I realised that I had got the worst bit out of the way and going over the Pyrenees would have been easier than the previous day of the lead up to it, the upper level pastures looked stunning from the taxi.

Last edited:
Hi @Bert45

There is lots of information on this Forum re. your question. Use the "search" feature with the Key word "Piemont"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I cycled Tolosana I met on the outskirts of Toulouse some pilgrims who were walking to Lourdes. Personally I cycled from Lourdes to Saint-Jean_Pied-du-Port and then to Compostela. It was super cool. And albergue in Lourdes is unforgettable.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back