• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Catholic on the Camino

J.Patrick

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto 2015.
Northern 2017
Francigena Oct 2023
I read with dismay of a peregrino's encounters with some "religious" sorts.

On my camino's, as a Catholic priest, it delights me to encounter the many reasons people have for the journey. How lovely that those of us from different and no spiritual backgrounds can share in the camino together, be it for grief, self-discovery, adventure, love of God, retirement, for the joy of it, for hope, to encounter deeper community, to find love, for the beauty, the silence, the conversations, the thinking, the emptiness, the fullness...and on and on. To walk along and hear someone else's very different story is one of the camino pleasures, isn't it?

This priest doesn't feel any more entitled to the camino than anyone else. Welcome world! The camino waits.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

On my camino's, as a Catholic priest, it delights me to encounter the many reasons people have for the journey. How lovely that those of us from different and no spiritual backgrounds can share in the camino together, be it for grief, self-discovery, adventure, love of God, retirement, for the joy of it, for hope, to encounter deeper community, to find love, for the beauty, the silence, the conversations, the thinking, the emptiness, the fullness...and on and on. To walk along and hear someone else's very different story is one of the camino pleasures, isn't it?

This priest doesn't feel any more entitled to the camino than anyone else. Welcome world! The camino waits.
Indeed. I'm again a protestant and am sad to hear of our fellow pilgrim's experience.
Today is Resurrection Sunday for all of us who follow the Christ. My hope and prayer is that the Camino remains a meeting place for all who have a desire to walk it.
A pilgrimage is a great leveller. We all need to cover our chosen path and distance. We have all come from somewhere. We all want to return with a good report to our loved ones and fellows.
May all who enter the be encouraged to be welcoming and overcome obstacles as the path rises to meet them and those that they share it with. Ta. Francois

It would be great to walk the Camino with a priest. I would want to attend daily Mass, so walking with a priest would make it easier to arrange.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It would be great to walk the Camino with a priest. I would want to attend daily Mass, so walking with a priest would make it easier to arrange.

Last 2017 before our walk in CF, I told my wife that it would be nice to walk with a priest. In Villar de Mazarife, we met and walk with a priest. Although, he did not say any mass, we would attend masses together. You can ask the hospitalero, if there is a mass in town where you stay for the night. Some towns have it at 7p some 8p. God bless and Buen Camino..

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back