• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A CF Packing List to Pull Apart

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
So what else are we supposed to do between Caminos? Play with packing lists is one thing.

So feel free to have a few shots at this one :rolleyes:
For our North American cousins.......all weights are in Kg........sorry.
Though I have converted the overall weights at the bottom into pounds as well.

I should add a preamble.
We are walking the CF for St Jean starting April 25th .
Pat my wife feels the cold! A lot.... (She was 'designed' for tropical climates)
Do not suggest that Mr Bean is too heavy to take..............
He Ain't............he's my Camino Brother ;) (#3 together)

It would be nice to shed a bit more pack weight though.

Oh, and Yes Pat's pack is kind of................light..........
As well as bad knees she has Plantaar Faciitis.
My injuries are a bit less painful, so I get to carry some of her gear :eek:

Some of the meds are prescription meds, as least here they are. But light anyway.
The other pain killers and anti inflam we go through a lot (under medical advice),
and will top up along the way.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looks pretty good.
I'd skip the Scrubba, coil, bug spray & head net, hair dryer, and take either a day pack OR a shopping bag.
But that's just me.
Oh, and maybe add a change of clothes for Mr. Bean. ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looks pretty good.
I'd skip the Scrubba, coil, bug spray & head net, hair dryer, and take either a day pack OR a shopping bag.
But that's just me.
Oh, and maybe add a change of clothes for Mr. Bean. ;)

I never used the head net last time. So that can go.
Bug spray, maybe not. Bugs like to eat me alive for some reason. I have to use bug spray just going into the garden in the evenings! The Lavendar oil is also used to treat bug bites. (Mozzies mainly)
Hair Dryer? I'm with you. I'm in negotiations with my better half. She may cut her hair short for the trip.......
Scrubba, I might just use one of the dry sacks, I agree.
Day Pack v Shopping Bag needs some thought. The tiny day pack is good for shopping, but not really necessary. The Nylon shopping bag (we call them Cambodia Bags) is one of those really tough, square shaped laundry bags with a zip. If we need to ship gear forward, (due to injury) it's great for that. Very Tough.

Thanks for the feedback ;)

*I would skip the extra laces as newer footwear have very durable laces and are no longer made out of cotton.
*Pat only needs 2 bras.
*If Pat is bringing a long sleeve fleece and long sleeve merino top, she shouldn't need the hoodie. She can always add the rain jacket for more warmth if need be.
*I walked in April/May three times and encountered no bugs. I doubt you'd need the head net.

I never used, nor needed a bed liner, sock liners or vaseline.
All just my opinions...since you've asked. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Umbrella and rain jackets and pants? Maybe eliminate the pants.
The hair dryer I would definitely eliminate.
The bug head net...never saw a need for one of those.
You are both bringing sleeping bags. Really no need for a liner, too. It just doesn't get that cold in the albergues in late April into May.

Umbrella and rain jackets and pants? Maybe eliminate the pants.
The hair dryer I would definitely eliminate.
The bug head net...never saw a need for one of those.
You are both bringing sleeping bags. Really no need for a liner, too. It just doesn't get that cold in the albergues in late April into May.

Thanks. Will be trimming the list.........

The rain jacket and pants are great, We could walk under a waterfall and not get wet!
The umbrellas are more for sun protection.
I would have given anything for one on my last CF.
I even tried to find a Shemagh in the dollar shops along the way.!

Email a copy of all of your papers (flights/bookings/passport/etc) to yourself. No need to carry paper copies. Not much weight, but just a hassle.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Looks good to me. If you find you don’t need something you can always donate it or post it forward.
Are you in Sydney? Have you discovered the Daiso stores? There is one near Central station. They are fantastic for all the little bits and pieces (for instance nappy pins) which are generally well made, reliable and lightweight.
Pat is a lucky woman.
Buen camino to both of you.

In addition to what has been mentioned above (hairdryer?), I would think about replacing the fleece with down. Look at Montebell. Fleece was great when it came out in the 90s. But down these days, the down jackets are so much warmer for less weight. Also maybe lose the mug (most alburgues have pots) and the umbrellas with good sun hats (and we also wear long pants, long sleeve shirts, and sun gloves) no need for umbrellas, and the wind on the CF is pretty steady, as evidenced by the windmills. But congrats on doing this right: weighing and writing down everything is key to making good decisions. Buen Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In my Spanish lessons I am learning to ask for some plain rice ;)
Good luck on that one. I once got very excited thinking I was finally going to get some plain rice with a meal. Turned out to be last night’s left over paella. Not my favourite meal when fresh (yep I know I’m odd so no comments needed) but to have it as a side dish for an already rich meat dish was way over the top.

Good luck on that one. I once got very excited thinking I was finally going to get some plain rice with a meal. Turned out to be last night’s left over paella. Not my favourite meal when fresh (yep I know I’m odd so no comments needed) but to have it as a side dish for an already rich meat dish was way over the top.
I'm with you on the paella, especially when an Italian pilgrim commented on it while we all were consuming a plateful at a communal dinner. He said most of the paellas on the Camino are sold commercially frozen in large bags. We probably were never really eating it "fresh". I normally love rice, so think I will add in a rice cooker next time. ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don't you remember? It died......
Sorry, Rob, I couldn't resist ribbing you. ;) Besides, there are always second thoughts.
most of the paellas on the Camino are sold commercially frozen in large bags
Not at Casa Magica! Yum!
And to ne more helpful...if Pat gets cold, don't forget gloves.
Yes, forget the headnet and bag liners. And personally, I always find I've brought too many extras. So one spare pair of each kind of sock and undergarments should do you and save a bit of weight.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Definitely skip the Scrubba. I used a 12 liter ultralight Osprey dry sack which weighs just 1.2 ounces/34 grams, vs the Scrubba at 5 ounces/142 grams. But I love using my umbrella for sun protection, so I would keep that.
I would have said to skip the scrubba, too, but didn't know what it was...(said sheepishly). I don't get why either item is necessary though, when all albergues have laundry tubs/sinks with running water and I rarely had to wait to use them. Please enlighten me on the reason.

I would have said to skip the scrubba, too, but didn't know what it was...(said sheepishly). I don't get why either item is necessary though, when all albergues have laundry tubs/sinks with running water and I rarely had to wait to use them. Please enlighten me on the reason.
It was just an easier way for me to wash my clothes. I placed everything in the dry bag as I was getting into the shower. Added soap and some warm shower water. Closed the bag and let my clothes soak as I showered. Then agitated the bag a bit before emptying it and rinsing the clothes. I even washed this way when staying in private rooms with my own bathroom sink.

Email a copy of all of your papers (flights/bookings/passport/etc) to yourself. No need to carry paper copies. Not much weight, but just a hassle.
Small disagreement: I don’t believe in relying on electronic documents alone (what if phone is dead or stolen?) and I do believe in keeping ample ID info with each pack/bag to help get it back to me if lost.

So in addition to emailing myself I print a single sheet of paper with passports, contact info, credit card customer service numbers, etc. and stash a copy in every bag. As you say, it’s not much weight.

I do it for domestic travel too - not just the camino!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@VNwalking, Glad to hear that a few establishments make truly fresh paella.
Rule of thumb: if the menu has pictures of several kinds of paella, it’s frozen. Often the pizza, too.

One of the things I love about Spanish food is that you can so often see it spread out at the bar and point at what you want. Sometimes even a lovely paella in the pot it was cooked in.

So what else are we supposed to do between Caminos? Play with packing lists is one thing.

For our North American cousins.......all weights are in Kg........sorry.
Though I have converted the overall weights at the bottom into pounds as well.

I should add a preamble.
We are walking the CF for St Jean starting April 25th .
Pat my wife feels the cold! A lot.... (She was 'designed' for tropical climates)
Do not suggest that Mr Bean is too heavy to take..............
He Ain't............he's my Camino Brother ;) (#3 together)

It would be nice to shed a bit more pack weight though.

Oh, and Yes Pat's pack is kind of................light..........
As well as bad knees she has Plantaar Faciitis.
My injuries are a bit less painful, so I get to carry some of her gear :eek:

Some of the meds are prescription meds, as least here they are. But light anyway.
The other pain killers and anti inflam we go through a lot (under medical advice),
and will top up along the way.

Thank you for this excellent and well-thought-out packing list in spreadsheet format. I will be modeling my list after yours. Buen camino!

The only caution I would add to that is that sending personal information via email is not a secure way to send things. I have done that myself, and my tech guys have told me that was not a good idea. Flights and bookings, ok, but not passports, credit card numbers, etc.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@VNwalking, Glad to hear that a few establishments make truly fresh paella.
If you want to horrify a Spaniard, suggest eating paella at dinner time. Any place that serves it at dinner is either serving leftover lunch paella or the frozen stuff, and my guess is that it is almost always the latter, because I don't think paella ages well. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't eat it, and I think many pilgrims don't really care if it's frozen or not if it tastes good.

OK!

Pat needs only 2 bras, 1 wearing and 1 spare. She cannot possibly wear 3 bras at once (can she?).

She has 4 x items as pants: 1 x hiking pants, 1 x spare hiking pants, 1 x rainpants and 1 x longjohns. Again, she cannot possibly wear them all at once (can she?).
Ditch either the longjohns or the spare hiking pants.
(She needs 1 x hikingpants, 1 x rain pants (but I wouldn’t bother with those in Spring, Summer or Autumn– only in winter), and 1 x casual pants that can be used as casual wear in the evenings and/or for sleeping in.)

And get that lazy Mr Bean to carry something. He needs to earn his keep.
Jill

I'm with you on the paella, especially when an Italian pilgrim commented on it while we all were consuming a plateful at a communal dinner. He said most of the paellas on the Camino are sold commercially frozen in large bags. We probably were never really eating it "fresh".

Yes, he's right. When you see the ubiquitous Paellador sign (e.g. as below), it's frozen. There's also often similar pasta and pizza signs and those are frozen too.

paellador-barcelona-tourist-traps-in-europe.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In addition to what has been mentioned above (hairdryer?), I would think about replacing the fleece with down. Look at Montebell. Fleece was great when it came out in the 90s. But down these days, the down jackets are so much warmer for less weight. Also maybe lose the mug (most alburgues have pots) and the umbrellas with good sun hats (and we also wear long pants, long sleeve shirts, and sun gloves) no need for umbrellas, and the wind on the CF is pretty steady, as evidenced by the windmills. But congrats on doing this right: weighing and writing down everything is key to making good decisions. Buen Camino.

We use the fleece as a middle layer just for added warmth.
The rain jacket gives wind and rain protection.

Do the down jackets perform the same purpose?
They look more like an outer layer ?

Thanks for the list feedback :)

Oh, the cup and coil are for noodles, eggs....... we use that everywhere ;);)

Do the down jackets perform the same purpose? They look more like an outer layer ?
No, a down jacket is better as an inner layer. I like a sleeveless version, somewhat like this one, which is less bulky and hot that a full jacket. It is a very useful and compact item to take for travel anywhere. I don't use it while walking (but could, in an emergency, under my rain jacket) but love it in the evenings and even at night.

Last edited:
Where do I get a Oz passport? :cool: I save all my documents in my Dropbox Public File as well, easy to get to in case of an emergency.
Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK!

Pat needs only 2 bras, 1 wearing and 1 spare. She cannot possibly wear 3 bras at once (can she?).

She has 4 x items as pants: 1 x hiking pants, 1 x spare hiking pants, 1 x rainpants and 1 x longjohns. Again, she cannot possibly wear them all at once (can she?).
Ditch either the longjohns or the spare hiking pants.
(She needs 1 x hikingpants, 1 x rain pants (but I wouldn’t bother with those in Spring, Summer or Autumn– only in winter), and 1 x casual pants that can be used as casual wear in the evenings and/or for sleeping in.)

And get that lazy Mr Bean to carry something. He needs to earn his keep.
Jill

'Long Johns' are underwear ;)
Light thermal layer...

And you would be surprised what she can wear!
On a cold morning, there will be long johns for warmth, hiking pants and then rain pants for wind protection!
More layers up top.
Yes............this lady really does feel the cold :eek::eek:

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.