• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Compostela if Santiago isn't the end?

JohnLloyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2018), Português (2019), Inglés (2022)
I'll be en route to A Coruña this time next week for a third Camino, walking the English Way to Santiago.

Having missed Muxia on my two previous trips, I've given myself time to walk there as well.

My question is this:-

If I walk from A Coruña through Santiago to Muxia, can I present my credencial at Santiago for a compostela when I return there for my flight home?

I'll have walked more than 100km, but my journey will not have finished in Santiago.

Will that matter?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'll be en route to A Coruña this time next week for a third Camino, walking the English Way to Santiago.

Having missed Muxia on my two previous trips, I've given myself time to walk there as well.

If I walk from A Coruña through Santiago to Muxia, can I present my credencial at Santiago for a compostela when I return there for my flight home?

I'll have walked more than 100km, but my journey will not have finished in Santiago.

Will that matter?
I think the key thing is that you walk 100k into Santiago on a single route. So if you start from A Coruña only i think you will be shy of this requirement.
Assuming you start from Ferrol OR supplement the route from A Coruña with a stage in your home country (see previous post by @peregrino_tom) , i think the key thing would be to get a stamp when "passing thru" SdC. That way when you get back from Muxia you can get your compostela for the route you walked from A Coruña /Ferrol.
The Pilgrims Office won't consider your kms to Muxia in this instance.

You have to end in Santiago de Compostela , it's all about walking the last 100km. 🙏🏻
Keep in mind that this is a pilgrimage, and like all pilgrimages, whether a camino or not, the point is to arrive at a holy shrine. In this case, it's the shrine of St. James. I'm not sure when a written compostela was first provided, but I know that in the early days, acquiring a shell in Santiago was customary. Of course, in those days, one had to walk back home, so the shell was a sign to all of a completed camino. Pilgrims usually also acquired other mementos, particularly crosses and other items made from the mineral jet, local to Galicia.

I found it interesting that the recent archeological digs in Jamestown revealed mementos from the Camino de Santiago, including items carved in jet. These were highly treasured sacred items that likely had been passed down from earlier generations. You can see them today in a special display case at the Jamestown Settlement.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Will that matter?
Hi, You know if you walk from Santiago to Muxia and or to Finestere you can pick up a type of credential, I forget what they are called, if you choose. In Finistere you can pick it up at the police station (again it has been a very long time so I am not sure). Last year I walked to Muxia for the first time. I got the certificate that is issued in Muxia in my albergue. It is a beautiful walk, I walked on to Finistere. I know most people walk to Finistere but after walking to Muxia I enjoyed being there much more than Finistere. Much mellower of a town. I really enjoyed walking to the church and seaside and enjoyed sitting on the rocks and looking and listening to the sea. Muxia is now my final destination point.

Hi, You know if you walk from Santiago to Muxia and or to Finestere you can pick up a type of credential, I forget what they are called, if you choose. In Finistere you can pick it up at the police station (again it has been a very long time so I am not sure). Last year I walked to Muxia for the first time. I got the certificate that is issued in Muxia in my albergue. It is a beautiful walk, I walked on to Finistere. I know most people walk to Finistere but after walking to Muxia I enjoyed being there much more than Finistere. Much mellower of a town. I really enjoyed walking to the church and seaside and enjoyed sitting on the rocks and looking and listening to the sea. Muxia is now my final destination point.
I saw Finisterre on my first Camino and there's no way that evening could ever be bettered.

Muxia for me this time!

Keep in mind that this is a pilgrimage, and like all pilgrimages, whether a camino or not, the point is to arrive at a holy shrine. In this case, it's the shrine of St. James. I'm not sure when a written compostela was first provided, but I know that in the early days, acquiring a shell in Santiago was customary. Of course, in those days, one had to walk back home, so the shell was a sign to all of a completed camino. Pilgrims usually also acquired other mementos, particularly crosses and other items made from the mineral jet, local to Galicia.

I found it interesting that the recent archeological digs in Jamestown revealed mementos from the Camino de Santiago, including items carved in jet. These were highly treasured sacred items that likely had been passed down from earlier generations. You can see them today in a special display case at the Jamestown Settlement.
I know all what you are saying, for a Compostela you have to end your walk in Santiago de Compostela it's that simple 🙏🏻

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I saw Finisterre on my first Camino and there's no way that evening could ever be bettered.

Muxia for me this time!
I know that lighthouse at sunset is a beautiful thing indeed. I am sure you will have a new and just as wonderful experience watching the sunset by the church in Muxia. After there are some really nice restaurants with excellent food walking back to Muxia along the water. There were about 8 of us who stayed at this albergue in Muxia:
It was wonderful.
We all walked to the church that evening and then walked back for dinner. Just an evening to remember.

Hi John - looks like you are London-based. You know you can walk stages in England, get these stamped and these will count towards your 100km. More details here:
What about St Peters Way from Ongar to Bradwell on sea?
Its about 40 miles long and ends at the ancient chapel of St Peter on the Wall
A beautiful walk through the Essex countryside

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you can show in your Pilgrim's Passport that you have walked at least 100km to Santiago, and you get stamped IN Santiago, then you can get your Compostella. Doesn't matter if you get it before or after you go to Muxia. But you must show that you walked that 100km to Santiago. Will you be walking back from Muxia to Santiago? In that case - the return to Santiago also qualifies you for the Compostela. Personally - I recommend getting the Compostela when you first arrive in Santiago - then either continue getting stamps in your current Pilgrim's passport - or get a new Pilgrim's Passport for the Finsterra/Muxia journey. And get your Fisterra/Muxiana when you arrive in those destinations. BUT... if you say - can't stay long enough to get your Compostela when you are passing through Santiago - make sure you at least get a stamp there and then return for the Compostella.

Is A Coruna 100km to Santiago though? I don't know... haven't looked myself. If not - you should start before A Coruna somewhere.

I present my credencial at Santiago for a compostela when I return there for my flight home?

You have to end in Santiago de Compostela
I am not an authority on this matter, but I think there may be some confusion - either in my mind or others!

There is no requirement that you go home directly from Santiago or that you walk no more.

There is no requirement that you present your credencial at the Pilgrim Office on the same day you first arrive in Santiago.

Will you be walking back from Muxia to Santiago? In that case - the return to Santiago also qualifies you for the Compostela.
Just to clarify (what I realize that you probably meant), the journey from Finisterre through Muxia to Santiago is over 100 km, so would qualify someone for a compostela in itself.

Last edited:
Just to clarify (what I realize that you probably meant), the journey from Finisterre through Muxia to Santiago is over 100 km, so would qualify someone for a compostela in itself.
Yes - that is what I meant.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for all your helpful responses - I think I have my answer!

My larger problem is that I’ve had my first dose of COVID this week and I’ve tested positive again this morning, on Day 6.

I’m due to fly on Friday morning.

If I’m not testing negative by Wednesday, I’ll postpone altogether.

Thanks for all your helpful responses - I think I have my answer!

My larger problem is that I’ve had my first dose of COVID this week and I’ve tested positive again this morning, on Day 6.

I’m due to fly on Friday morning.

If I’m not testing negative by Wednesday, I’ll postpone altogether.
I have a question , did you get your first vaccination this week?? Or do I reed it wrong.

No, I'm triple-jabbed, with my booster last November.

This is the first time I have actually caught COVID since the pandemic began.

As I understand it, so long as I'm testing negative before I leave, then it is acceptable to travel.

But I want to be sure that I am not infectious, so I will pay for a formal PCR a couple of days in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
But I want to be sure that I am not infectious, so I will pay for a formal PCR a couple of days in advance.
A PCR test is much more sensitive than an antigen test and can pick up virus fragments even when you are no longer infectious.

I know. That’s why it’s important for me to get one before I travel anywhere. I want to be sure that I’m not going to infect anyone else.

I understand your concern. However, a PCR test may show that you still have virus fragments - not if you are infectious. An antigen test will be positive if you are still infectious. Of course you will want to ask your doctor which test is appropriate.

From this article:
A PCR test might say you're positive for coronavirus for three or four weeks after you've recovered because it's still "picking up past infection and the small fragments (of the virus) are still being amplified," said CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician and visiting professor of health policy and management at the George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health. After seven to 10 days, "that PCR test is not an appropriate test."

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Aha, I see what you mean. In that case, I will opt for the old "Fit to Fly" rapid antigen tests offered at Heathrow airport, just to be sure. Thanks for the thought!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back