• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A controlling factor: accommodation in Santiago

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
I'm in the planning stage of my next Camino, and I am starting to realise that predicting accurately my arrival date in Santiago is becoming crucial. I have always enjoyed staying at the San Martin Pinario seminary, opposite the Cathedral, and when I checked their website for availability in June 2017 I was shocked to discover that it was fully booked except for 5 days in the entire month. (One room left!)
OK, so I got my booking, but I now have to organise my whole camino around the dates that were actually available. A glance at Booking.com for particular dates will show a host of hostals, pensions etc "fully booked for your dates". Am I the only one who finds this a worrying trend?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is always worth checking directly with an accommodation listed by any booking service! Both availabilities and/or prices may differ. Such accommodation pays a fee to that service and thus their stated price on that service link reflects that fee. Furthermore all rooms are not always listed with any service.

Thus for a possible lower price and/or unlisted room find the accommodation website or telephone and ask directly.

Good luck and Buen camino!

It is always worth checking directly with an accommodation listed by any booking service! !
I did that, mspath. And it's only February.
But your comment re booking sites is appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is always worth checking directly with an accommodation listed by any booking service! Both availabilities and/or prices may differ. Such accommodation pays a fee to that service and thus their stated price on that service link reflects that fee. Furthermore all rooms are not always listed with any service.

Thus for a possible lower price and/or unlisted room find the accommodation website or telephone and ask directly.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Indeed.I mailed a hostal in Carrion de los Condes directly : 10 € cheaper than via booking.com.

I think you will find that the accommodation that Booking.com handles are the "up market" - ensuite rooms - at around E40-50 per night. I would doubt that the pilgrim rooms/beds on the top floor would be all gone - I have not tried to book them recently , but might send a query. Will advise.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think you will find that the accommodation that Booking.com handles are the "up market" - ensuite rooms - at around E40-50 per night. I would doubt that the pilgrim rooms/beds on the top floor would be all gone - I have not tried to book them recently , but might send a query. Will advise.

Mike,
Those great pilgrim rooms are not available through booking.com

Past years they were available to be reserved through
info@sanmartinpinario.eu
or by telephone.

when I checked their website for availability in June 2017 I was shocked to discover that it was fully booked except for 5 days in the entire month.

I think you will find that the accommodation that Booking.com handles are the "up market" - ensuite rooms - at around E40-50 per night. I would doubt that the pilgrim rooms/beds on the top floor would be all gone - I have not tried to book them recently , but might send a query.

I had also understood that the albergue rooms did NOT appear on booking.com, and you had to either email or call to check availability.

I'm in the planning stage of my next Camino, and I am starting to realise that predicting accurately my arrival date in Santiago is becoming crucial. I have always enjoyed staying at the San Martin Pinario seminary, opposite the Cathedral, and when I checked their website for availability in June 2017 I was shocked to discover that it was fully booked except for 5 days in the entire month. (One room left!)
OK, so I got my booking, but I now have to organise my whole camino around the dates that were actually available. A glance at Booking.com for particular dates will show a host of hostals, pensions etc "fully booked for your dates". Am I the only one who finds this a worrying trend?
I emailed them directly and requested a pilgrim room for 2 nights in June and got them. This was a couple of days ago.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So, PeregrinoPaul, it sounds like albergue rooms are available. It is just the hotel rooms that are sold out on the website -- as others have said, to get the albergue rooms, you have to contact them via email.

Looks like you can change your camino plans if you would be interested in staying on the albergue floor!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.