• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A Coruna or Ferrol (September)

mattyashy

Time of past OR future Camino
Hey guys. So, I have rebooked my walk for 12-19 September (after being cancelled in May due to COVID).

I am currently flying into Santiago and arrive at 9am on Saturday 12th. And fly back at 10am on Sat 19th.

Would you recommend starting in Ferrol or A Coruna?

How many days should I plan for the walk?

Should I stay in another city on the first day/night and then get to Ferrol or A Coruna on the Sunday?

I would need to finish in Santiago on Friday 18th and stay there that night to catch my flight the following morning.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Any idea why you have planned this walk? For instance, if you want a delightful stroll through lovely Galician countryside then it really doesn't matter where you start. If you are making pilgrimage to the shrine of St James it really doesn't matter where you start. If you want to request a Compostella from the Pilgrims' Office then you need to start in Ferrol.

Most people complete Ferrol to Santiago in 5 days, it is easily walkable in 4. If you arrive in Santiago at 9:00 am you have plenty of time to catch the bus to Ferrol and enjoy a wonderful city.

Assuming you can get from the airport to bus or train heading to either A Coruna or Ferrol in the morning I would go for it. I found most of the trains pass through A Coruna and there are a few direct buses to Ferrol daily. Consult rome2rio for current schedules.
FYI A Coruna is a great city to visit with lots to see but you can't do it in a day.
Personally I would spend your Sunday in Ferrol, it has lots of points of interest, the Naval Museum was my favorite, but the trick will be walking to Santiago by Friday night to catch your plane on Saturday morning. You might have to skip the final stages (or 2) and take a bus to do that. Those stages are not that exciting because they are the beginnings of the urban sprawl north of Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,
Welcome to the Forum.
If you are looking to get a Compostela, you maybe should start in Ferrol, unless, of course, you’ve walked (and can demonstrate that fact) the additional several kms in your country as a pilgrimage to supplement the A Coruña walk, since it’s not 100 km from Santiago.
There’s plenty of transportation from Santiago to either city. You could begin walking the day you arrive in SdC.
Buen Camino!

All the best,
Paul

Hi, I walked the Ingles this February, and it took me exactly a week:

Day 1, Bus Santiago to Ferrol, Hotel Almendra

Day 2, Neda, 13kms, Municipal Albergue

Day 3, Pontedeume, 15kms, Municipal Albergue

Day 4, Betanzos, 20kms, Municipal Albergue

Day 5, Hospital de Bruma, 24kms, Municipal Albergue

Day 6, Siguero, 24kms, Albergue Camino Real

Day 7, Santiago, 16kms

Buen camino!

Last edited:
Maybe I could go further afield if it can be done in four days?

I'm there to enjoy the countryside walking mainly.

I plan to keep it cheap and stay in hostels for the walk (do I need anything special to do that?).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

I plan to keep it cheap and stay in hostels for the walk (do I need anything special to do that?).
Best to get a credential either from the Confraternity of St James in London or here on the Forum Shop.

You might have to skip the final stages (or 2) and take a bus to do that. Those stages are not that exciting because they are the beginnings of the urban sprawl north of Santiago.
But in order to receive a Compostela, no stages can be skipped in the last 100 km!

Welcome! I did the Inglés last June. You should be able to get to Ferrol on the day you arrive in Santiago. I too recommend the Almendra, very near the train station. After I checked in, I walked to the harbor where the Inglés begins, then to the Con-Cathedral to get a sello (office behind the alter, door on the right). I then walked back to the Almendra. I wanted to start at the beginning but I didn’t want to the harbor in the morning as it’s the opposite way. If you leave early, in the dark, it’s a little difficult to find the markers, the lady at the hotel marked it on a map which was very helpful. Also, Pension Luís in Pontedeume. EF10455D-7F68-4260-87B3-529581C340C8.jpegEnjoy and Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Definitely A Coruna. Beforehand you have to do additional 25 km in your country evidenced in writing (stamped pilgrim's passport). As Paul McAmino wrote. I fell in love with this route two years ago when it was presented to us during annual Confraternity of Saint James meeting. It is on my camino list since then❤ Route is not popular because you have to complete last 100 km to get your Compostela, so everybody starts at Ferrol. Rules were changed or modified for A Coruna recently and not everybody knows about it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

It really depends what is open. You need your credentials to stay in municipal albergues.

I think that all the public albergues on the Ingles are not municipal because are managed by the Xunta. Anyway they require credential.
For sure, I meant they are not private!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey guys. So, I have rebooked my walk for 12-19 September (after being cancelled in May due to COVID).

I am currently flying into Santiago and arrive at 9am on Saturday 12th. And fly back at 10am on Sat 19th.

Should I stay in another city on the first day/night and then get to Ferrol or A Coruna on the Sunday?

I would need to finish in Santiago on Friday 18th and stay there that night to catch my flight the following morning.
If you decide to walk from A Coruna and want to get a Compostela then you could make up the shortfall in the minimum 100km by walking part of the Via Francigena here in the UK.
I was undecided on whether to start at A Coruna or Ferrol so walked from Canterbury to Dover to make up the difference getting stamps along the way - it's easy walking and there are some lovely churches along the way plus you get to start at Canterbury Cathedral and tops up your walk by 20 miles/32km

1593335642798.png

I walked from both O Coruna and Ferrol last year. Started in O Coruna and walked to Meson do Vento in 1 1/2 days and then caught a bus back to Ferrol. The stretch from O Coruna to Meson do Vento was mostly road walking and long way in O Coruna. The walk from Ferrol to Bruma was more scenic and pleasant in nature and the stops in Pontedeume and Betanzos were pleasant as well. If you were to do one I would recommend Ferrol.

I walked from both O Coruna and Ferrol last year. Started in O Coruna and walked to Meson do Vento in 1 1/2 days and then caught a bus back to Ferrol. The stretch from O Coruna to Meson do Vento was mostly road walking and long way in O Coruna. The walk from Ferrol to Bruma was more scenic and pleasant in nature and the stops in Pontedeume and Betanzos were pleasant as well. If you were to do one I would recommend Ferrol.

I agree, on the Inglés, I think Betanzos is a must. But, we all walk our own Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi. I've just been looking at flights to A Coruña for the same reason - should have walked the Camino Portuguese, from Porto to Santiago in May. Now we no longer have to quarantine on our return to the UK, I thought we should 'go for it. We won't start walking until 18th or 19th though, so we won't meet. Buen Camino!

What great memories you all have stirred up from my Camino Ingles last May. I started on May 22nd 2019 from Ferrol, having travelled from Santiago by train to O Coruna, then bus to Ferrol.
Day 1: May 22 nd: I first walked from Ferrol to Neda for 14.35 klms and stayed at a lovely private pension on Avenues de Xubia 12 under the kind care of Margota. (Ph 981347304). There are 28 beds in the albergue at Neda.
Day 2: May 23 Rd: Then on to Miño for 24.44 klms with quite undulating hills. Stayed at bar/ hotel "Crisol" €35, ph 981778895. Calle Louis 53, Miño.
Day 3: May 24 th: Miño to "Hotel villa del Betanzos", Av de Castilla, 38. (40€ with breakfast) 11.23 klms.
Day 4: May 25th: Betanzos to Hospital De Bruma Albergue. The original owners of the house sold it and now run it for pilgrims. What fun it was sitting on supplied yoga mats by the stream, listening to 3 jazz musicians. Across the road we all went for a full pilgrim restaurant meal that night. Such a delight. (No services at half way -Leiro)28 klms.
Day 5: May 26 th: Bruma to SigĂĽeiro, 24.13 klms. Stayed at the 5 star Albergue with everyone (15 pilgrims) and went out to the local restaurant that night. Lots of free food & beauty products there. Two private group rooms available.
Day 6: May 27 th: SigĂĽeiro to Santiago de Compostela, 16.74 klms, group dinner that night for 20 pilgrims.
This was a very relaxed way to do the Inglés. So many lovely locals , I'd definately do it again if I had a spare week.

What great memories you all have stirred up from my Camino Ingles last May. I started on May 22nd 2019 from Ferrol, having travelled from Santiago by train to O Coruna, then bus to Ferrol.
Day 1: May 22 nd: I first walked from Ferrol to Neda for 14.35 klms and stayed at a lovely private pension on Avenues de Xubia 12 under the kind care of Margota. (Ph 981347304). There are 28 beds in the albergue at Neda.
Day 2: May 23 Rd: Then on to Miño for 24.44 klms with quite undulating hills. Stayed at bar/ hotel "Crisol" €35, ph 981778895. Calle Louis 53, Miño.
Day 3: May 24 th: Miño to "Hotel villa del Betanzos", Av de Castilla, 38. (40€ with breakfast) 11.23 klms.
Day 4: May 25th: Betanzos to Hospital De Bruma Albergue. The original owners of the house sold it and now run it for pilgrims. What fun it was sitting on supplied yoga mats by the stream, listening to 3 jazz musicians. Across the road we all went for a full pilgrim restaurant meal that night. Such a delight. (No services at half way -Leiro)28 klms.
Day 5: May 26 th: Bruma to SigĂĽeiro, 24.13 klms. Stayed at the 5 star Albergue with everyone (15 pilgrims) and went out to the local restaurant that night. Lots of free food & beauty products there. Two private group rooms available.
Day 6: May 27 th: SigĂĽeiro to Santiago de Compostela, 16.74 klms, group dinner that night for 20 pilgrims.
This was a very relaxed way to do the Inglés. So many lovely locals , I'd definately do it again if I had a spare week.

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing. It's great to experience some of the pre-Camino excitement again. I'm going to enjoy the planning!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I was not far behind you last year, I started in Ferrol on June 1st and did the “standard” stages arriving in SdC on a very rainy June 5th. Ferrol to Pontedueme was a long day 1.

The Camino from A Coruña could be called Camino Irlandés ( Irish).
According to the Irish tradition. Ith son of Breogan saw Ireland from a tower in A Coruña and arrived in Ireland with the Milesians where set a new kingdom.
Then, from Ferrol : Ingles and from Coruña: Irlandés.
Just an idea.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back