• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A couple of first camino fears: WWYD?

L B

Time of past OR future Camino
the french way
I'm supposed to start my first steps on the camino this weekend but suddenly I'm terrified so I'd like to hear some advice - what would you do?
This time around I'd only like to walk from Sarria to Santjago de Compostela because I feel like a shorter distance with more people would make me feel more safe and let me enjoy my walk more.
I will be dropped off in Vilalba and from there I would like to make my way to Sarria so I can start my walk there. I was wondering if there is a better transportation to take to get there, maybe someone has some experience with this in their past. Also maybe I should make a reservation somewhere in Vilalba and only try to get to Sarria the next day? Or should I try my luck and get there the same day and see where I could stay the night without having made reservations? I'm a bit clueless at the moment so I'd really like to know what would the more experienced pilgrims do.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi and welcome!

What do mean precisely with " dropped off ". Is this by taxi or will you be part of guided tour?

Villalba to Sarria will mean going trough Lugo.

Take a look at these routes.

Options for bus will depend on which day you are in Villalba. Normally weekends mean less options than weekdays.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Vilalba/Sarria

Hopefully our forummember Castilian reads this. He has a wealth of info regarding tramsport on the Camino.

You haven't said what time you'll be "dropped off" or if you have found any information about buses going to Sarria. I am not familiar enough with the buses to give you any advice on that, but some internet research will give you an idea of what service there is. Be sure to check that service exists on the day you intend to travel (Sat and Sunday could be different).

How are you getting to Vilalba? If you don't have time constraints, then you could just arrive in Vilalba and play it by ear.

Most people start walking from Sarria fairly early in the morning, so if you want to meet potential walking companions, it would be best to stay the night before in Sarria. Since you are starting on a summer weekend perhaps it would be reassuring to have a reservation wherever you spend the night.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I suppose you have some reason for being in Vilalba (or Villalba) -because from Madrid or Compostela, for example, there are better ways to travel to Sarria.
From Vilalba, basically you have to travel to Lugo (not very far), and then connect by bus to Sarria (you will meet there many pilgrims coming from Compostela).
Vilalba is a village; it is not easy to know the local transportation. The always useful Rome2Rio gives some options
https://www.rome2rio.com/es/s/Villalba-Galicia-España/27600-Sarria-Lugo-España
Other questions you post depends on your time arrival to Vilalba.
Generally speaking, being right now peak season, I'd reserve in Sarria.

Thank you everyone for the help!
I'll get dropped off somewhere around midday and there are some last busses going after that but looks like I will only be in Sarria past 9 in the evening so I'll have to make a reservation somewhere.
I was also if there is anything I should know about the bus etiquette in Spain? Looks like I can also buy a ticket from the driver but do I have to sit in the place that is written on my ticket or can I freely pick a place to sit?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll get dropped off somewhere around midday and there are some last busses going after that but looks like I will only be in Sarria past 9 in the evening so I'll have to make a reservation somewhere.
I was also if there is anything I should know about the bus etiquette in Spain? Looks like I can also buy a ticket from the driver but do I have to sit in
WIWD is book a bed in Sarria as you are arriving late. That way you will be able to start your next day from Sarria, instead of trying to make your way there first. Sit where you like. If there are a lot of people waiting to get on don't be surprised by a bit of rude pushing and shoving, just stand your ground. Don't try to get on with your backpack unless it is very small. It can be a bit bewildering wondering where you are. You could try to ask the driver to let you know when you have arrived in Sarria. Check the timetable so you know roughly the time you are supposed to arrive. Look at road signs, if one says for example Sarria 4km, you know that you will soon be there. Or look at a person nearby raise your eyebrows and say questioningly "Sarria?"
I hope I haven't made you overthink it. It's sure to be fine.

On long-distance buses, DO sit in your assigned seat, please! Some of us buy tickets in advance because we want a window seat, want to sit next to our families or so on, and will not be happy to find you in one of our seats...

If there is a bus terminal (there is one in Vilalba), buy your ticket before boarding.
Local buses probably will have no numbered seats.
When I check my backpack, I first occupy my seat but after that I get off the bus and keep an eye on the store after it is closed. Just in case...
Sarria bus station will be quite evident -see that It is 1 km from Calle Mayor, where most of the albergues and restaurants are placed.
In Sarria I liked the private albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena. It is in a historic building, roomy, well furnished, clean, has a spacious kitchen and washing machine area. It is five minutes from downtown, and after a climb, but as it is placed in the Camino, this is a distance you can save next day.
Anyway, remember that in the Camino you can't really plan or know beforehand everything. You will have to improvise a lot on the spot. You will be fine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What are you afraid of in particular :confused:

I was also if there is anything I should know about the bus etiquette in Spain? Looks like I can also buy a ticket from the driver but do I have to sit in the place that is written on my ticket or can I freely pick a place to sit?
Welcome to the forum LB. For some tips on etiquette, Google, Culturegram', Spain.
Wish you Buen Camino.

Thanks for all the information. :) I just made a reservation and now I can feel somewhat calm about this.

This question is not really on the same theme with the topic when I posted it but in case someone still peeks in here and could comment on this - would it be too weird to not take a sleepingbag and just sleep in my clothes? I'm not worried about being cold since I'm a person who tolerates lower temperatures really well (then again - how "cold" could the camino even get in august).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for all the information. :) I just made a reservation and now I can feel somewhat calm about this.

This question is not really on the same theme with the topic when I posted it but in case someone still peeks in here and could comment on this - would it be too weird to not take a sleepingbag and just sleep in my clothes? I'm not worried about being cold since I'm a person who tolerates lower temperatures really well (then again - how "cold" could the camino even get in august).

Sorry you should ALWAYS put something as protection on your ( bunk ) bed for hygienic reasons. No sleepingbag needed but at least a clean sheet or a light sleepingbagliner.
Of course you could sleep in next days clothes but please put some protection between you and the bed.

Also : do not put backpack on bed for the same reasons!!

No problem with sleeping in your clothes. However you might want at least a lightweight sleeping bag liner to act as a buffer between your body and the at times 'slightly grimey' mattress cover. Albergue bottom sheets/mattress covers are not necessarily hyper clean. You would feel better sleeping within your own sheet sack.

Good luck and Buen camino

PS. You should be able to find such a sheet sack at Pelegrinoteca in Sarria. See the web http://www.peregrinoteca.com/tienda/

Last edited:
I had to take buses several times due to plantar fasciitis and so experienced numerous bus stations. In your situation I believe there will be other perigrinos so look for them and they can possibly give you advice on particular questions. Don't worry too much, you'll be fine.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After Sarria the albergues provide a blanket, or they did in 2010. Yes buy a silk liner from the Internet. I find the 'mummy' ones too restricting. I then spray it in the open air with Lifesystems anti mosquito stuff. I think it does bed bugs as well. Good luck and enjoy.

just sleep in my clothes?
There are places that will not permit that for reasons of sanitation or just regulations. A sleeping bag, sleep sack, or linens are usually required to keep the rather filthy mattresses as clean as possible. Municipal albergues in Galicia issue a disposable sheet and pillow cover. They may permit you to sleep in your clothes on them. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Greetings! I will be traveling with my daughter to walk the Camino Portuguese from Porto in July. The dates are a bit flexible, but not completely so. I’ve been researching flight tickets, and...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back