• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

A Day In Madrid

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, my flight arrives Madrid at 06:35 and my next flight departs for Bordeaux (to walk the Voie Littorale followed by del Norte to Santiago) at 16:45, so I have a full day in Madrid. Recommendations please on what to do with my time! I’m thinking of taking the Airport Express into the city and getting the hop-on hop-off Madrid City Tour bus. What do you think? Jill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tons of options for a morning in Madrid. What would you like to do? If you plan to visit sights, they won't open till later on the day (e.g.: The Prado museum doesn't open till 10:00 a.m., the Royal Palace till 09:30 a.m....) so I would suggest to look for a place serving a (good) Chocolate con churros for breakfast (assuming you can eat churros and like them). A walk in Retiro park to make time till the sights open might be a good idea too... It all depends on your preferences, on whether you've been previously to Madrid (or not), the day of the week may make a difference too because there are sights that close a day per week...

Just wander through the old part of the city from the Palace in the west to Retiro in the east, taking in the Plazas and markets...and on either side, the best urban parks on the planet. And if you like art...definitely the Prado (though like the Louvre, it could take days to do it justice).

If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't take the bus. The metro will get you there from the airport (and back) directly and incredibly easily--you can start from one station and go back to the airport from another, using your feet to cover the ground in between. You'll see less but much more that way.;)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Definitely visit the Prado but book your ticket online before arriving to save you having to wait in line. You still have to get your print at home ticket validated when you arrive but that is a very short line. There are reductions for older people. Also, as Viranani says, you would need several days to do the Prado justice so, in my opinion, the absolute must-see paintings are those by Zurbaran, Ribera, Goya's 'black' paintings and the magnificent painting of the Deposition of Christ by the Dutch artist Roger Van Der Weyden.

Prado Prado Prado Prado! :D
And Prado! :D

Well, kidding aside, the Prado is an awesome place if you like art. But it is enormous (I spent 6 hours inside, last time I went there, and did not see everything).

The Royal palace is also a beautiful place worth visiting. If you prefer something small, Museo Cerralbo is the house of a nobleman from 2 centuries ago and all the interior, furniture and collections were preserved. Not very famous, but one of the most beautiful places in town. Two hours you can see the entire place.

Enjoy!

I've only experienced a Hop on Hop off bus once, and that was last year in Barcelona. I was there for two weeks and took the HOHO my first day to kind of get the lay of the land, plus I was pretty jet lagged and didn't want to walk all over town. I thought that it was a good way to get an overview of the city. I actually wished that I had done it when I was in Hong Kong for a day and a half the year before, as I felt that I spent too much time getting lost. o_O

So probably the best two options are to research what really interests you in Madrid, and then make a point of just doing that, or, if you want just a general view of the city take the HOHO bus.
Though perhaps you might find a good walking tour of the city.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lucky but unlucky you!

Try if possible to spend at least a few days in this wonderful city.

Madrid boasts three of the world's greatest art galleries. And they are located reasonably close together. The Prado is a bit overwhelming, and personally I'd opt first for theMuseo Thyssen -Bornemisza which is a marvellous mixed collection, first privately collected but now state-owned and seen as arguably the most important private collection in the world. And much more maneageable than the Prado. Try also to take in the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia especially for Picasso's Guernica, possibly one of the two most significant paintings in the history of art, but research it before you go. You really need to understand what it's about. Then fit in the Prado if you like.

Try to be there for a Sunday and check out el Rastro, the city's famous flea market which dates back to the middle ages, but allow plenty of time.

And a top ten bucket list item: if there's a soccer (futbol) match on between Real Madrid and Barcelona try to catch it on TV in one of the local bars.

And then there's..... never mind, boy am I envious!

De Colores

Bogong

Jill, I think the hop on hop off bus is a great idea. You don't know how jet lagged you might be and the bus is relaxing and the perfect way to get an idea of the layout of the city and just people watch. I was in Madrid for a week a couple of years back with plantar fascitiis and used the bus for two days. The Prado is a great museum but would use up your whole day and you would miss the sights of Madrid not to mention being stuck inside all day. There is a store near one of the HOHO stops near the city centre called El Corte Ingles and at the very top they have an amazing food court - a good place to find a bite to eat but also to get a wonderful view of the city.

There's no shortage of things to do in Madrid as all these posts have shown, but my two top things would be a long walk in the Retiro park (madrid's Central Park) and a visit to the Sorolla Museum. Sorolla is Spain's preeminent impressionist and the museum is in his lovely home. It is a beautiful peaceful place filled with his work, much of it involving children, children and mothers, and beach scenes. Just beautiful.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
And to all on this list, I'd add lunch at the Mercado de San Miguel, a fabulous old building now filled with multitudes of tiny stalls selling amazing tapas. It's less than a ten minute walk from the royal palace and very worth an hour of your time!

Great replies, many thanks! I have never been to Madrid before, and I will be there on a Wednesday. Will do some more research, taking in what you’ve all recommended. Thanks again, much appreciated. Jill

You'll want to find a park bench on which to take a nap. I'd look for one in the departure lounge if you can check in early enough. 6 hours isn't going to give you much of a window to do anything.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You'll want to find a park bench on which to take a nap. I'd look for one in the departure lounge if you can check in early enough. 6 hours isn't going to give you much of a window to do anything.

Ha, ha! You must be kidding. There is no way I would be wanting to take a nap after a 10 hour overnight flight. I will be flying south to north on the exact same time-line, so there is no jet lag. I really don’t fancy sitting in the departure lounge from 7am to 4pm. I’m still leaning towards the hop-on-hop-off bus for a general overview of Madrid. I think the Prado warrants a full day visit, so feel I should leave that for another visit when I have more time. Jill

Ha, ha! You must be kidding. There is no way I would be wanting to take a nap after a 10 hour overnight flight. I will be flying south to north on the exact same time-line, so there is no jet lag. I really don’t fancy sitting in the departure lounge from 7am to 4pm. I’m still leaning towards the hop-on-hop-off bus for a general overview of Madrid. I think the Prado warrants a full day visit, so feel I should leave that for another visit when I have more time. Jill

I rank overnight flights right up there with being dragged backwards through a hedge. If you can get a good night of sleep on a plane ... good on you.

So true! But I don't want to be sitting around all the next day either :p

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello:

Don't know if I'm late for this and you've already passed through Madrid. Just a small warning: if you plan on taking the Metro, be aware that line 1 (the cyan-color one), which runs North-South through the city and is the busiest one, is closed for remodeling work during the entire summer. There is a bus service that covers the same route, but I thought I should mention this just in case you get lost and confused in a new city after waking up at 6:35...

Also, as Viranani says, you would need several days to do the Prado justice so, in my opinion, the absolute must-see paintings are those by Zurbaran, Ribera, Goya's 'black' paintings and the magnificent painting of the Deposition of Christ by the Dutch artist Roger Van Der Weyden.

Well, there's also this little known painting called "Las Meninas" by Velazquez... ;) Or "The garden of delights", by El Bosco (Hyeronymous Bosch).

Speaking of which, there is currently a big retrospective of El Bosco in el Prado, so if you are a big fan, it might be an interesting option. Otherwise, though, I agree that El Prado by itself will suck several days out of anyone's schedule, so I wouldn't go there at all if I had only one day and wanted to get an overview of the city.

There's no shortage of things to do in Madrid as all these posts have shown, but my two top things would be a long walk in the Retiro park (madrid's Central Park) and a visit to the Sorolla Museum. Sorolla is Spain's preeminent impressionist and the museum is in his lovely home. It is a beautiful peaceful place filled with his work, much of it involving children, children and mothers, and beach scenes. Just beautiful.

Hello!
Peregrina2000, my name is Cathy, my husband and I are doing Camino next year
March 20th to 13th of April and since you live not close by(about 5 hours away),but we're
going to see our friends in Chicago coming of this October, we will be passing by your town.
Just wondering.......I really like to meet with you, if possible. One of My friend suggested spend
time in Madrid. What do you think of this idea of meeting?
Like to hear from you.
From CathyK.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello!
Peregrina2000, my name is Cathy, my husband and I are doing Camino next year
March 20th to 13th of April and since you live not close by(about 5 hours away),but we're
going to see our friends in Chicago coming of this October, we will be passing by your town.
Just wondering.......I really like to meet with you, if possible. One of My friend suggested spend
time in Madrid. What do you think of this idea of meeting?
Like to hear from you.
From CathyK

IMHO, the conversation feature of the forum (aka personal messaging feature) is, among other things, for personal questions like the ones you are asking to @peregrina2000

If you don't know how to start a conversation, once you are logge-in, look at the upper menu, put your mouse over Inbox and click on Start a New Conversation on the pop-up menu that will show once you put your mouse over Inbox.

P.S.: Maybe, at the time I'm writing this post, peregrina2000 already started a conversation (sent a personal message) with you.

IMHO, the conversation feature of the forum (aka personal messaging feature) is, among other things, for personal questions like the ones you are asking to @peregrina2000

If you don't know how to start a conversation, once you are logge-in, look at the upper menu, put your mouse over Inbox and click on Start a New Conversation on the pop-up menu that will show once you put your mouse over Inbox.

P.S.: Maybe, at the time I'm writing this post, peregrina2000 already started a conversation (sent a personal message) with you.

Hi! Castilian,
Thank you for the respond. Iva send me the same suggestion, but haven't tried yet.
To contacting her. In the mean time, contacted person who's doing B&B type of
Business in Madrid, spend two nights,sightseeing,killing jet lags, from there take train to Astorga, see the town and Cathedral and start my Camino from there.
That's my plan. Thank you again. CathyK

Back