• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A day (or evening) in the life of an albergue

MaxHelado

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués via Variante Espiritual 2022
As an albergue novice I would really appreciate some advice on what to expect and how to behave when staying in an albergue. For example.......
- should I expect a communal meal? What happens when you want to eat out at a local bar or restaurant?
- is it expected or simply appreciated if you help with the cooking or the washing-up?
- showering: in the evening? in the morning? both? Do you queue up and take your turn or book a slot?
- bedtime: is there an unspoken rule about "lights out"?

I have no doubt that I will make horrendous social blunders but it would be nice to keep them to the minimum!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As an albergue novice I would really appreciate some advice on what to expect and how to behave when staying in an albergue. For example.......
- should I expect a communal meal? What happens when you want to eat out at a local bar or restaurant?
- is it expected or simply appreciated if you help with the cooking or the washing-up?
- showering: in the evening? in the morning? both? Do you queue up and take your turn or book a slot?

I have no doubt that I will make horrendous social blunders but it would be nice to keep them to the minimum!
True, true

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Only, if the Albergue is known for a communal meal. Like Casa Emaús in Burgos or the Parroquial in Grañon.
If you want to eat out, than you eat out.
In my experience: like the communal meal. If so, you will find out.
As far as I did it: after the check-in, getting rid of the street-dust. And in the morning, if possible. Getting ready for the road.
Sometimes there are strict rules (closing time), sometimes not and sometime unspoken. But as rule of thumb 10pm is almost a good point to get a good healthy sleep and to get up early.

HTH

Only, if the Albergue is known for a communal meal. Like Casa Emaús in Burgos or the Parroquial in Grañon.
If you want to eat out, than you eat out.

In my experience: like the communal meal. If so, you will find out.

As far as I did it: after the check-in, getting rid of the street-dust. And in the morning, if possible. Getting ready for the road.

Sometimes there are strict rules (closing time), sometimes not and sometime unspoken. But as rule of thumb 10pm is almost a good point to get a good healthy sleep and to get up early.

HTH
Roland, thank you. That's very helpful.
I'm sure my questions seem very obvious but your answers are important to me.
I feel better prepared already.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Usually when you check in, the hospitalero will orient you to open, lights out, and time to vacate. If there is a communal meal you may be given an option to help cook, set the table and wash up after the meal. You may be asked about food allergies or preferences. Some hospitaleros are territorial about the kitchen while others like to engage with pilgrims. There may be a kitchen to prepare your own food. Wash up after and remember that other pilgrims may be waiting to use the pots and pans, too.

You'll likely be asked to put your shoes on a rack by the door and wear another pair indoors to prevent the road dirt from being tracked inside. Some albergues assign you a bed and others may tell you to choose one. We usually assign so we can hold back some lower bunks for older or injured pilgrims who may arrive later. You'll need a sleeping bag of some kind.

The hospitalero will show you where you can hand wash your clothes or there may be a machine. Usually the hospitalero runs the machine and soap is included in the cost of the wash. There will be a rack or clothesline for drying or there may be a dryer.

In the bathroom just be considerate. There is usually a mop bucket out for you to mop up after your shower. You will want to bring your own towel and toiletries. Let the hospitaleto know if you need more toilet paper. We check often, but when things get busy sometimes we need a reminder.

In the bunk room, try not to be too noisy. Don't set an alarm. Keep the rustling of zippers, plastic bags to minimum. Don't put your backpack on the bed or on a chair. If it is a donativo, don't forget to leave your donation. We say give what your heart and pocketbook will allow. Consider what you would have paid for similar services at an albergue with a certain charge for bed, meals. Etc.

You'll soon get the hang of it.

Last edited:
Usually when you check in, the hospitalero will orient you to open, lights out, and time to vacate. If there is a communal meal you may be given an option to help cook, set the table and wash up after the meal. You may be asked about food allergies or preferences. Some hospitaleros are territorial about the kitchen while others like to engage with pilgrims. There may be a kitchen to prepare your own food. Wash up after and remember that other pilgrims may be waiting to use the pots and pans, too.

You'll likely be asked to put your shoes on a rack by the door and wear another pair indoors to prevent the road dirt from being tracked inside. Some albergues assign you a bed and others may tell you to choose one. We usually assign so we can hold back some lower bunks for older or injured pilgrims who may arrive later. You'll need a sleeping bag of some kind.

The hospitalero will show you where you can hand wash your clothes or there may be a machine. Usually the hospitalero runs the machine and soap is included in the cost of the wash. There will be a rack or clothesline for drying or there may be a dryer.

In the bathroom just considerate. There is usually a mop bucket out for you to mop up after your shower. You will want to bring your own towel and toiletries. Let the hospitaleto know if you need more toilet paper. We check often, but when things get busy sometimes we need a reminder.

In the bunk room, try not to be too noisy. Don't set an alarm. Keep the rustling of zippers, plastic bags to minimum. Don't put your backpack on the bed or on a chair. If it is a donativo, don't forget to leave your donation. We say give what your heart and pocketbook will allow. Consider what you would have paid for similar services at an albergue with a certain charge for bed, meals. Etc.

Brilliant! What a great summary. Many thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Its the norn that people shower in the afternoon/evening.
Anyone wanting a morning shower please make sure there are bathrooms free for other people. I stayed in an albergue that had twenty beds and just two bathrooms, each containing a shower, sink and toilet. There was a queue of very uncomfortable people in the morning whent two people decided to take a shower.

Shower when you get there, never in the morning.
Lots of albergues have communal meals but they advertise that they do. Have had some outstanding meals so far.
You will get rules at each albergue.
Pack in the early evening, have your clothes ready for in the morning & all you have to do is toss your sleeping bag/nightgown into your pack & leave the room. This means you don’t need a headlamp to get ready.
If there is breakfast you can go brush your teeth afterwards.
Mesh bags are great. They are quiet & you can see what is inside.
Remember you are sharing spaces. Don’t hog the shower, rinse out the sink.
Lights out at night also means your phone or. ipad. Those flickering lights are annoying. Make sure your phone is on silence. No alarms!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

In the bathroom just be considerate. There is usually a mop bucket out for you to mop up after your shower. You will want to bring your own towel and toiletries. Let the hospitaleto know if you need more toilet paper. We check often, but when things get busy sometimes we need a reminder.

Are you able to lock up your pack and gear?

Where do you put your pack and gear, if not on the bed or the chairs when sleeping and exploring the town?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get the shower out of the way when you arrive. The morning is for getting up and moving on.
That was also how I did it. I also tended to shower a bit differently in albergues. I would turn on the water to wet myself, turn it off and soap up, then turn it back on to rinse off. You use a lot less water that way, saving more hot water for other pilgrims. At home I am more wasteful. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If it is a donativo, don't forget to leave your donation. We say give what your heart and pocketbook will allow. Consider what you would have paid for similar services at an albergue with a certain charge for bed, meals. Etc.
I tend to give, not according to what I have received but what I would like future pilgrims to receive. After all, what I give determines just that. I worry that if we give according to what receive a group of stingy pilgrims could send an albergue on a downward spiral. There would be less with which to provide for the next batch of pilgrims, leading them to receive less and give less and so on. Hopefully, pilgrims being the mutually supportive bunch I've seen, giving according to what we want other pilgrims to receive will head in the opposite direction.

Albergues vary, each is different. Some offer communal meals and some do not. It’s not obligatory and nobody will be offended if you do not partake. Sometimes the hospitaleros prepare communal meals and sometimes albergue kitchens are simply a free for all with pilgrims preparing their own food and doing their own cleaning up. Ask when checking in because a communal meal can be a separate charge. Most people shower in the afternoon after they arrive, not in the AM. Showers are first come first served. Lights out times vary according to the group staying that night. Some folks are noisier later into the evening and sometimes everyone is asleep and snoring in chorus by 9-10PM. Re showers, bathrooms, lights out, just try to be considerate. You’ll get the hang of it in no time. There is usually a time by which the hospitaleros want everyone to have left in the AM, usually no later than 8 o’clock. This gives them time to clean and make ready for the next group. There are no strict standard rules across the board for staying in albergues. However, upon check in, you will be notified of any specific rules for a particular albergue.

Where do you put your pack and gear, if not on the bed or the chairs when sleeping and exploring the town?
Lockers, where available… when not, I read in another forum post about the Hero Clip - seems handy for being able to hang packs off of bed rails, to keep them off the floor and off beds when there aren’t hooks - or maybe “enough” hooks - available.

another item to note: When breakfasts are laid-out the night before and you are the first person awake in the morning, all that food is not for you alone. Take ONE. Don't steal someone else's breakfast!

Food supplies are usually the hospitalero's province. Never assume that food is there for you to take. Ask, and you will not be embarrassed later!

A note about morning showers: I have found that starting my walk with slightly moist feet, even from a morning shower, make my feet more susceptible to blisters. So I only do morning showers if I am NOT walking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A note about morning showers: I have found that starting my walk with slightly moist feet, even from a morning shower, make my feet more susceptible to blisters. So I only do morning showers if I am NOT walking.
i agree with you..but seriously cream up feet before putting on my socks..to avoid blisters and it has worked well so far. Shower at night after pushing 25 to 30 kms Not in the morning for an early start.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back